PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Austin

jag
10-07-2011, 12:43 PM
What is there to do in Austin?

I used to live in Austin (Marble Falls) when I was like 3, and after leaving I hadnt been back until about 5 years ago. It's a nice place but the last time i was there I remember there being tons of hobos everywhere and there wasn't exactly a whole lot to do. I also lived in SA until high school and Austin was never reallly a place you'd go to visit to have a good time.

I ask because a few friends of mine suggested taking a trip down there because they thought it sounded fun. To me it doesn't sound like that great of a time. I know it's a college city so they have some bars but other than that is there really anything to do down there?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-07-2011, 03:54 PM
As long as you keep it "weird", youll be ok. They like keeping it "weird". Just be "weird".

DMC
10-07-2011, 04:09 PM
There's nothing to do in Austin.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-07-2011, 04:38 PM
You can act "weird"

mrsmaalox
10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Marble Falls is better.

ChumpDumper
10-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Don't come here. We don't need you here.

silverblk mystix
10-07-2011, 04:46 PM
San Antonio is the ONLY place in the world...please stay there and forget about Austin...we will try to go on without you.

You're welcome.

Dex
10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Most of the things to do around Austin revolve around music, drinking, food, or all of the above. Since shows are kind of a revolving deal, hard to put much specifics here, other than pointing out the obvious places like Stubbs, The Backyard (now at Bee Caves), Saxon Pub, Austin Music Hall, etc...

Of course, there is always Sixth Street, South Congress, and the Warehouse District to roam around downtown.

Austin Museum of Art
The Oasis (food is not great, but view is amazing...at least it was, back when the Lake still had water in it)
Cap City Comedy Club

Weather-permitting:
Barton Springs
Zilker Park
Mount Bonnel
Town Lake / Lake Travis
The Greenbelt (absolutely bone dry right now, tho)

Annual events:
Eeyore's Birthday
Pecan Street Festival (twice a year)
Raggae Fest
ACL
SXSW
Austin Film Fest
La Dolce Vita Wine Festival

And so on and so forth...

baseline bum
10-07-2011, 05:10 PM
The best thing to do in Austin is to hop on the 290 to Big Bend tbh.

silverblk mystix
10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
desirable year-round climate??????

schweddy balls!!!!

:lol

ChumpDumper
10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
USA's 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city),
70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas

Over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 milesWhen visiting Austin, enjoy your stay in Dallas!

jag
10-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Don't come here. We don't need you here.

Well this is just rude.

jag
10-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Most of the things to do around Austin revolve around music, drinking, food, or all of the above. Since shows are kind of a revolving deal, hard to put much specifics here, other than pointing out the obvious places like Stubbs, The Backyard (now at Bee Caves), Saxon Pub, Austin Music Hall, etc...

I live somewhat close to Nashville and this is pretty much how I would describe it. Although I'm sure Austin isn't quite as music oriented.

Of course, there is always Sixth Street, South Congress, and the Warehouse District to roam around downtown.

Austin Museum of Art
The Oasis (food is not great, but view is amazing...at least it was, back when the Lake still had water in it)
Cap City Comedy Club

Weather-permitting:
Barton Springs
Zilker Park
Mount Bonnel
Town Lake / Lake Travis

Annual events:
Eeyore's Birthday
Pecan Street Festival (twice a year)
Raggae Fest
ACL
SXSW
Austin Film Fest
La Dolce Vita Wine Festival

Thanks for the breakdown. :toast

koriwhat
10-07-2011, 08:56 PM
austin sucks. if you're gonna do it big, do it in LA! austin is a scam!

Dex
10-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I live somewhat close to Nashville and this is pretty much how I would describe it. Although I'm sure Austin isn't quite as music oriented.

You might be surprised. They don't call it the Live Music Capital of the World for no reason. You just gotta get out and find the shows.

atxbuttknocker
10-07-2011, 09:55 PM
What is there to do in Austin?

Um, is there a picture of this _JaG posted on this site?

Because if he's as dreamy as I imagine him to be...

DMC
10-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Austin Museum of Art - Gay
The Oasis (food is not great, but view is amazing...at least it was, back when the Lake still had water in it) Gay
Cap City Comedy Club Gay

Weather-permitting:
Barton Springs UberGay
Zilker Park MegaUberGay
Mount Bonnel G:lmaoy
Town Lake / Lake Travis Town Lake = Gay... Lake Travis = inaccessible.

Annual events:
Eeyore's Birthday A time for faggots to meet in Peace Park and fap to a stuffed animal.
Pecan Street Festival (twice a year) More Gay
Raggae Fest Anything in Austin is probably going to be Gay related, this might be the exception, except Gays abound.
ACL Not bad, old.
SXSW Once a year, overcrowded, too expensive, loaded with Gays
Austin Film Fest think 3 dollar bill
La Dolce Vita Wine Festival Self explanatory

Jesus isn't there anything that doesn't revolve around studded collars, nipple piercings and lattes?

_JaG should fit right in.

mavs>spurs
10-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Isn't austin a haven for metrosexual hipsters and hippies?

DMC
10-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Isn't austin a haven for metrosexual hipsters and hippies?

Like you don't know already. :lmao

mavs>spurs
10-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I've never in my life once been to Austin. Heard the night life was pretty good tho and some good looking women, I'd like to go someday while I'm young.

DMC
10-07-2011, 11:15 PM
I've never in my life once been to Austin. Heard the night life was pretty good tho and some good looking women, I'd like to go someday while I'm young.

It's just a couple hours down 35 bro. You act like it's on another planet.

greyforest
10-08-2011, 12:14 AM
excellent transportation infrastructure :lol

for pedestrians and bicyclists downtown? hmm...a stretch to call it excellent.

for motor vehicles?

one of the worst in the nation.

Nathan Explosion
10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
When I was up there for ACL last month, driving around was a bitch. People complain about San Antonio, but I will NEVER knock the freeway system. In search of a better job, I've included Austin as well, but the highways are so bad that I'm actually having second thoughts.

However, once we did park, we took out our bikes and had so much fun riding around downtown, hitting up restaurants and even a sports bar on Sunday (had to watch football). Getting too and from the park was easy because we didn't have to deal with traffic (both cars and foot traffic as you got close).

It can be fun if you like live music and drinking, but yes, there are a lot of homeless people asking you for money. One came up to us and said he had nothing in his pockets. When he hit his pocket for emphasis, we heard a whole bunch of change jingle. My friend gave him change anyway (I never have cash on me) but we called him out for lying to us and told him he's better off just being straight up with people.

leemajors
10-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Cap City is regarded by many comedians as one of the top comedy clubs in the country, and plenty of great acts come through. Bert Kreischer is there next weekend.

That being said, avoid West 6th like the plague.

leemajors
10-12-2011, 11:59 AM
When I was up there for ACL last month, driving around was a bitch. People complain about San Antonio, but I will NEVER knock the freeway system. In search of a better job, I've included Austin as well, but the highways are so bad that I'm actually having second thoughts.

However, once we did park, we took out our bikes and had so much fun riding around downtown, hitting up restaurants and even a sports bar on Sunday (had to watch football). Getting too and from the park was easy because we didn't have to deal with traffic (both cars and foot traffic as you got close).

It can be fun if you like live music and drinking, but yes, there are a lot of homeless people asking you for money. One came up to us and said he had nothing in his pockets. When he hit his pocket for emphasis, we heard a whole bunch of change jingle. My friend gave him change anyway (I never have cash on me) but we called him out for lying to us and told him he's better off just being straight up with people.

You can get around traffic fairly easily most of the time if you know where you are going and avoid 35.

bus driver
10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
it sucks
and fuck their 55 speed limit on 35; traffic would move alot faster if people didnt have to drive like old people

DMC
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
it sucks
and fuck their 55 speed limit on 35; traffic would move alot faster if people didnt have to drive like old people

That's true except that entering 35 below the express lanes downtown is an exercise in suicide already, so anyone trying to merge in, oh... 30 yards of on ramp from 30mph to 75mph against semis and the inconsiderate "me" driving crowd that infests every urban area would result in even more delays due to accidents.

It's a shitty system, so I could see how they could increase the speed on the express lanes, but even then it's city driving and almost every city has those restrictions. How else are they going to get revenue?

DMC
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Cap City is regarded by many comedians as one of the top comedy clubs in the country, and plenty of great acts come through. Bert Kreischer is there next weekend.

That being said, avoid West 6th like the plague.

I doubt Tennessee is without good comedy clubs meaning I would not drive from Tennessee to Austin to visit a comedy club.

There would have to be something a a central focus and Austin doesn't have it outside of SXSW and a few other events. I would rather visit Big Bend or South Padre Island than Austin.

leemajors
10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I doubt Tennessee is without good comedy clubs meaning I would not drive from Tennessee to Austin to visit a comedy club.

There would have to be something a a central focus and Austin doesn't have it outside of SXSW and a few other events. I would rather visit Big Bend or South Padre Island than Austin.

gotcha

leemajors
10-12-2011, 03:51 PM

gotcha. padre is nice off season.