PDA

View Full Version : Sprint going away from WiMax

ElNono
10-07-2011, 02:45 PM
"Engadget reports that Sprint has announced a rollover from WiMAX to LTE for its 4G needs (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/sprint-converts-its-cdma-network-to-lte/). The company is 'converting its 1900MHz holdings and LightSquared's 1600MHz spectrum ("pending FCC approval") to LTE,' and also re-purposing the section of 800MHz spectrum that was set aside for the defunct iDEN push-to-talk network. 'The company plans for a rapid deployment of this new 4G, with the first LTE markets and handsets to hit in mid-2012 with the full rollout mostly completed by 2013. Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012.'"

Cry Havoc
10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Lower frequencies are definitely a welcome change.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Why's that?

MannyIsGod
10-07-2011, 04:50 PM
They're also upgrading their 3g networks. Sprint is likely going to have the best network in the nation in the near future.

ElNono
10-07-2011, 04:52 PM
They're also upgrading their 3g networks. Sprint is likely going to have the best network in the nation in the near future.

If they sell enough iPhones... :lol

MannyIsGod
10-07-2011, 04:54 PM
LOL! True. Or else one of the others will have that network. :(

Cry Havoc
10-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Why's that?

Lower frequencies give better penetration through walls/buildings. Should give stronger connection strength.

ElNono
10-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Lower frequencies = less volume too though. But since they're probably retaining the higher freq, then I guess they'll be ok.

Tinystarz
10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm assuming this will cause a price hike on sprint products,plans and such? I got a letter saying they are doing away with the "sprint premier" for other plans which cost more. Or something to that extent,I was to upset to read the rest. bad days :lol

ElNono
10-07-2011, 06:08 PM
The premier program allowed you to pay a fixed monthly fee and basically upgrade phones for free ever year. Obviously, they have to sell phones now, that's why it's going away.

Agloco
10-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Lower frequencies give better penetration through walls/buildings. Should give stronger connection strength.

Lower frequencies = less volume too though. But since they're probably retaining the higher freq, then I guess they'll be ok.

:tu

What are your opinions on infrastructure though. In terms of implementation, is one easier to build or support than the other? I don't know much about them.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2011, 10:55 AM
The premier program allowed you to pay a fixed monthly fee and basically upgrade phones for free ever year. Obviously, they have to sell phones now, that's why it's going away.

You never paid for it. It was a VIP/loyalty program. My 10+ year old account loses good benefits :( :( :(

ElNono
10-08-2011, 01:34 PM
You never paid for it. It was a VIP/loyalty program. My 10+ year old account loses good benefits :( :( :(

Aha... thanks for the info. I left sprint a few good years ago.

ElNono
10-08-2011, 01:37 PM
:tu

What are your opinions on infrastructure though. In terms of implementation, is one easier to build or support than the other? I don't know much about them.

A cell tower is a cell tower, lower frequencies mean less towers for same coverage though, but also less volume of data per tower. What gets hard for Sprint is that calls from different towers get routed through the wireline. Obviously, VZN and AT&T already have much of that infrastructure in place for homes. Not sure what Sprint does, if it rents carrying that or roll their own.

Slydragon
10-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Well I hope when they stop wimax they give me a early upgrade in a year.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-08-2011, 11:25 PM
That's right. Didnt you post that you got the S2? How is it? And, yeah. I wonder how they'll work that towards the end of the contract. If they get off Wimax and your phone is basically useless on the LTE network, would that be considered a breach of contract?

ElNono
10-09-2011, 12:31 AM
That's right. Didnt you post that you got the S2? How is it? And, yeah. I wonder how they'll work that towards the end of the contract. If they get off Wimax and your phone is basically useless on the LTE network, would that be considered a breach of contract?

I'm sure they'll let you switch to one of these for free:

http://handcellphone.com/wp-content/themes/green-marinee/phonepic/Motorola-RAZR-V3-Lime-6.jpg

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2011, 01:20 AM
:lol Screw those RAZR's. But, seriously. Isn't that what the article is stating? "Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012." Well, if I get a phone tomorrow from them "with the first LTE markets and handsets to hit in mid-2012" that means I'll have it well into 2013.......
Maybe I'll go scare a Sprint salesperson in the morning :D
I doubt they even know this.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm pretty sure the network will still WIMAX after 2012

Viva Las Espuelas
10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
"Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012."

Slydragon
10-09-2011, 12:06 PM

I like my phone and I used 4g wimax about 5% of the time so I really wouldn't miss it but it is nice to have when I want to show off a HD YouTube video. That is how I see it now but in a year when everyone is posting fast speed test I may have a different tone. :lol

MannyIsGod
10-09-2011, 01:26 PM
"Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry, as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012."

Yes, I read that. Doesn't mean much though. Sprints towers are still going to have WiMax hardware.

ElNono
10-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the network will still WIMAX after 2012

Probably, but how long? Maybe 2 more years after that? They're going away from it, so switching those people to LTE is going to have to happen.

ElNono
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes, I read that. Doesn't mean much though. Sprints towers are still going to have WiMax hardware.

IMO, the idea is to switch over so they don't have to maintain both standards.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
How hard is it to maintain it? I figure the idea is to swtich over so not to have to put up a whole WiMax network when you could just put up LTE but once the equipment is there (and I think they also access Clear's network) then its probably not a big deal. I would be surprised to see them just shut it down and I know Clear isn't switching to LTE.

ElNono
10-09-2011, 06:16 PM
How hard is it to maintain it? I figure the idea is to swtich over so not to have to put up a whole WiMax network when you could just put up LTE but once the equipment is there (and I think they also access Clear's network) then its probably not a big deal. I would be surprised to see them just shut it down and I know Clear isn't switching to LTE.

tbh, I'll post if I see more details. That said, I haven't seen many phones manufacturers heading the WiMax way. With VZN and AT&T both going LTE, I think this as analogous as BluRay winning over HD-DVD. I could be wrong.

MannyIsGod
10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
tbh, I'll post if I see more details. That said, I haven't seen many phones manufacturers heading the WiMax way. With VZN and AT&T both going LTE, I think this as analogous as BluRay winning over HD-DVD. I could be wrong.

Oh yeah this is definitely it for WiMax phones. I guess some of the stuff thats already in the pipeline will be WiMax but I can't see much more than that.