PDA

View Full Version : NBA Saturday: Kobe Bryant Dishes on his Legacy and his Teammates

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
:lol Now we know why Kobe was a bad teammate :lol....my nigga...and He won't admit he's chasing MJ...this is a classic interview but the best part was his comments on Kwame...

While the Lakers have plenty of options in the post now, that wasn’t always the case. Before Gasol was donning purple and gold, Bryant had to play through one of the most frustrating years of his career in 2005. He averaged a career-high 35.4 points, but he didn’t have much help around him.

“I got to say, it was tough doing it that year. I was playing with guys – God bless them – but Kwame Brown, Smush Parker. By the way, what I say here, I say directly to them. I don’t talk behind people’s backs. The things that I say to you, I’m comfortable saying this to them and I’ve said this to them. But, like, the game before we traded for Pau, we’re playing Detroit and I had like 40 points towards the end of the game. This is back when Detroit had Rasheed [Wallace], Chauncey and those guys so we had no business being in the game. [B]Down the stretch of the game, they put in a box-and-one so I’m surrounded by these players, Detroit players, and Kwame is under the basket all by himself. Literally, like all by himself. So I pass him the ball, he bobbled it and it goes out of bounds,” Bryant said, rolling his eyes and slamming his hat on the table.

“We go back to the timeout and I’m pissed, right?” Bryant continued. “He goes, ‘Hey, I was wide open.’ ‘Yeah, I know.’ This is how I’m talking to him during the game. I said, ‘You’re going to be open again, Kwame, because Rasheed is just totally ignoring you.’ He said, ‘Well, if I’m open don’t throw it to me.’ I was like, ‘Huh?’ He said, ‘Don’t throw it to me.’ I said, ‘Why not?’ He said, ‘Well, I’m nervous. If I catch it and he fouls me, I won’t make the free throws.’ I said, ‘Hell no!’ “I go to Phil [Jackson], I say, ‘Hey Phil, take him out of the game.’ He’s like, ‘Nah, let him figure it out.’ So, we lose the game, I go the locker room, I’m steaming. Steaming. I’m furious.

Then, finally I get a call, they said, ‘You know what, we got something that’s happening with Pau.’ I was like, ‘Alright. Cool.’ The first game with Pau, we ran the pick-and-roll and I slipped him the ball. He catches it! I was like, ‘Yes!’ Then, he makes the shot! So, as I’m running back to the timeout, I’m screaming. I’m jumping on Pau’s back. It was like, ‘Oh, I have someone that can play.’ That’s what I had to deal with the whole year. And Smush, I’m not even going to get into that.”
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-bryant-dishes-on-legacy-teammates/

Ice009
10-08-2011, 09:24 AM
“Championships are won on the inside"

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-bryant-dishes-on-legacy-teammates/

Thanks Shaq, Pau.

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks Shaq, Pau.

it's nothing but a testament to Kobe's true greatness tbh...he went up 3-1 against a stacked Suns team at every position...playing with guys like Kwame, Smush, Radmonivich, Walton, Cook, Sasha, and Mihm...and all the gotdam analysts kept saying Kobe could win a title if he stopped ball hogging and start sharing the ball...and yet we find out at least one of them didn't even want the ball passed to him...and Kobe was supposed to baby sit these fuckers making millions...you cannot make these type of players better regardless...people like Kwame is a direct result of owners / GM's decision making abilities from the start...and in this case it was MJ's fault for drafting this kid.

Man...if any of my teammates from elementary to college to street ball... in any sport said some shit like that to me..Don't pass to me because I'm scared they would probably get quartered. :lol

I would like to see Duncan or Dirk carry a team with Kwame, Smush, Atkins, Walton, Cook, Radmonich..carry them anywhere...

Kobe deserves way more respect and credit than he gets. real talk :toast

lefty
10-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Interesting read

But we already knew that Kobe is not a leader, sucks at making his teammates better, and can't win without an all-star big man.

Kool_Fail. :lol

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 09:56 AM
No really think about that shit fellas...forget that it's Kobe here..imagine your teammate telling you: "Hey I'm scared don't pass to me"...seriously that's probably the last fucking thing you expect to hear...personally it would totally catch me off guard...and the other team would sense it and then you're defeated...Kwame is / was a disgrace...there's probably all kinds of shit Kobe won't tell that he had to endure with these fuckers...including Shaq's lazy ass...

BoricuaCJA
10-08-2011, 10:08 AM
There is always 3 sides to a story. One from Kobe, One from Kwame and the truth.

You say he deserves more respect and credit then he gets. He has my respect but he receives too much credit, especially from Laker fans imo.

Giuseppe
10-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Bryant is a sociopath. That's what makes his success in the wake of Eagle so important (at least for me). I like to see "the opposition" smighted, denied. That is what Bryant did after Eagle. Instead of crawling away like a motherfucker, he grabbed some jacks & timbers and started back down/i.e., went after Buss with hammer & tong. He made Buss jettison Daddy, made Buss own up to his own legacy which the old man had painstakingly created & protected, but, had recklessly left to go to seed. Bryant, after Eagle, much like Magic after '84 saved our franchise from the calamity of neglect & fear. Fear is a terrible crippler of man. Magic would have nothing to with it before AIDs came for him, nor after it arrived. Same thing with Bryant. Rape is no more an accident than AIDs contraction. Both men were reckless, paid a price, but, found a path to personal salvation---Bryant a more personal, fixated & dynamic redemption, yes, but, so affective. And when he redeemed himself, he took us (Kool & the gang, us) with him so we could (see)(feel) the deliverance.

Giuseppe
10-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Kwame's failure was Jackson's responsibility. Posting Kwame up repeatedly with the direct intent to go to him was penny wise & pound foolish. Instead of utilizing Kwame as an oak tree in the middle on defense Jackson got it into his mind to make him an offensive force. Like Jackson's love affair with Smush Parker...inexplicable on examination. There was no reason for it. It just happened. Jackson's foolishness there with Kwame & Parker ate into Bryant's prime. Would I have forgiven & forgotten as Bryant did and given Jackson a hand down when he came back hat-in-hand? No. I hold my grudges closer than that. But, Bryant did and we were better for Bryant's grace.

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 11:33 AM
There is always 3 sides to a story. One from Kobe, One from Kwame and the truth.

You say he deserves more respect and credit then he gets. He has my respect but he receives too much credit, especially from Laker fans imo.

It always seems that way with living legends. MJ's detractors said the same thing while he was playing. But I understand what's going on. Listen as of today Kob is the 2nd best 2 guard in NBA history, which is pretty dam awesome.

Spurs fan cannot be objective because Kobe more than any other team was truly a Spurs killer. He typically saved his best for Timmy since Shaq wouldn't step up when playing Timmy one on one. If it wasn't for Kobe, Timmy would have rendered Shaq and all his girth dam near meaningless.

So I get why you guys think he gets too much credit....But give Duncan Kobes 05-06 team and see how far he goes.

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Bryant is a sociopath. That's what makes his success in the wake of Eagle so important (at least for me). I like to see "the opposition" smighted, denied. That is what Bryant did after Eagle. Instead of crawling away like a motherfucker, he grabbed some jacks & timbers and started back down/i.e., went after Buss with hammer & tong. He made Buss jettison Daddy, made Buss own up to his own legacy which the old man had painstakingly created & protected, but, had recklessly left to go to seed. Bryant, after Eagle, much like Magic after '84 saved our franchise from the calamity of neglect & fear. Fear is a terrible crippler of man. Magic would have nothing to with it before AIDs came for him, nor after it arrived. Same thing with Bryant. Rape is no more an accident than AIDs contraction. Both men were reckless, paid a price, but, found a path to personal salvation---Bryant a more personal, fixated & dynamic redemption, yes, but, so affective. And when he redeemed himself, he took us (Kool & the gang, us) with him so we could (see)(feel) the deliverance.

:lol. I'm a sociopath too Cully....:lol

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Kwame's failure was Jackson's responsibility. Posting Kwame up repeatedly with the direct intent to go to him was penny wise & pound foolish. Instead of utilizing Kwame as an oak tree in the middle on defense Jackson got it into his mind to make him an offensive force. Like Jackson's love affair with Smush Parker...inexplicable on examination. There was no reason for it. It just happened. Jackson's foolishness there with Kwame & Parker ate into Bryant's prime. Would I have forgiven & forgotten as Bryant did and given Jackson a hand down when he came back hat-in-hand? No. I hold my grudges closer than that. But, Bryant did and we were better for Bryant's grace.

Agree....Jackson got set in his ways too many times...Zo Mourning said it best after we rang in 09...he said Kobe was really the coach of the team. Jackson for as great as he was had his flaws as a coach....and Kobe winning back 2 back was sheer will and destiny...it simply had to happen...if not I wouldn't be here today....it was destiny like these next 2 will be.

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Shit, he barely made the playoffs two seasons ago with a stacked team.

Duncan has always been lucky with stacked teams...he's always played with multiple all-stars so I don't know why he could never defend his title.

Giuseppe
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Duncan has always been lucky with stacked teams...he's always played with multiple all-stars so I don't know why he could never defend his title.

There was/is nobody standing behind Duncan with a whip & "newsprint." MSM in Texas is different than in Los Angeles. As much as I loath the baiting & begrudgement by MSM for their ends it has in reality made Magic & Kobe better. They did not run from the derision, but, embraced, fed off it and persevered. Whereas it made fraidy cats of West, Wilt and Jabbar, it had the opposite affect on Magic and Kobe. All these aforementioned players had the wherewithal to aspire & accomplish. Only Magic & Bryant did so on a level that the others could not, OR, would not.

Giuseppe
10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Agree....Jackson got set in his ways too many times...Zo Mourning said it best after we rang in 09...he said Kobe was really the coach of the team. Jackson for as great as he was had his flaws as a coach....and Kobe winning back 2 back was sheer will and destiny...it simply had to happen...if not I wouldn't be here today

Kool Aid Man

Now that it's been done and the quaking and roiling silenced (more or less forever more, or, for the time being anyway), it seems like it was easy. We don't know. Only Bryant knows. I can't go there any further than my Lazy-Boy. He went there for me, for us and of course for Daddy & Eagle & for the all the ones who tried to end him. That's what Magic did in '85. He took his vengeance on the Celtics for all their past transgressions. Bryant learned from that example. Magic's example. Not West's example of driving the streets of LA during playoff games because he couldn't stand the gaff.

Koolaid_Man
10-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Kool Aid Man

Now that it's been done and the quaking and roiling silenced (more or less forever more, or, for the time being anyway), it seems like it was easy. We don't know. Only Bryant knows. I can't go there any further than my Lazy-Boy. He went there for me, for us and of course for Daddy & Eagle & for the all the ones who tried to end him. That's what Magic did in '85. He took his vengeance on the Celtics for all their past transgressions. Bryant learned from that example. Magic's example. Not West's example of driving the streets of LA during playoff games because he couldn't stand the gaff.

Kobe's getting ready to pour gasoline in open wounds once he rangs 6 it will be fucking pandemonium ...and it better not being during a shortened season...Spur fan will really be in quite the pickle conundrum...:lol

I'm appreciate of his bad ass nature...it's critical these days...case in point:

Kobe on Lakers Criticism: ‘I Don’t Give a Shit’

Due to their lackluster play this season, the Lakers have heard criticism from just about everyone — fans, media, and even former Laker greats like Jerry West and Magic Johnson. Kobe Bryant isn’t trying to hear (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6084434) any of it.

ESPN reports: ‘Don’t know, don’t care,’ Kobe Bryant said when asked if the team was being criticized too harshly. ‘People that criticize, they can all kiss my ass. I don’t give a s—. I really don’t." - Kobe Bean Bryant

mavs>spurs
10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
This thread is essentially a 3 man circle jerk. Stop quoting eachother and sucking up, it's the internet equivalent of taking turns sucking eachother off.

redzero
10-08-2011, 01:38 PM
So, luva, do you watch One Piece, too? What about Bleach?

Giuseppe
10-08-2011, 02:52 PM
This thread is essentially a 3 man circle jerk. Stop quoting eachother and sucking up, it's the internet equivalent of taking turns sucking eachother off.

Y, gettin' his fantasy on again.

DMC
10-08-2011, 03:00 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0423/la_g_artest2x_480.jpg

Metta World Peace (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/25/metta-world-peace)
L.A. Lakers | SF | Age: 31
Drafted: 16th in 1999 (by CHI)
@MettaWorldPeace (https://twitter.com/#%21/MettaWorldPeace)
2010-11 Stats
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT% 82 8.5 3.3 2.1 .397 .676

Giuseppe
10-08-2011, 04:57 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0423/la_g_artest2x_480.jpg

Metta World Peace (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/25/metta-world-peace)
L.A. Lakers | SF | Age: 31
Drafted: 16th in 1999 (by CHI)
@MettaWorldPeace (https://twitter.com/#%21/MettaWorldPeace)
2010-11 Stats
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT% 82 8.5 3.3 2.1 .397 .676

It was that 3 though on the shovel from Bryant.

& you know it, daddy.

lefty
10-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Kobe dished?

I call BS

Giuseppe
10-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Kobe dished?

I call BS

I didn't want to.

He had nary other choice.