PDA

View Full Version : Air Force turns down Big12 invite

Blake
10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Air Force athletic director Hans Mueh is still interested in the idea of joining the Big East.

"Our interest is high in the Big East. That's fair to say," Mueh told The Denver Post on Saturday. "This stuff is moving fast."

Mueh pointed out that his ideal scenario involves Air Force, Navy and Army all making the move to participating in the Big East for football, but there were no certainties in the discussions. The Falcons were listed by some as a possible target for Big 12 expansion after Texas and Oklahoma announced their intentions to stay in the league. Mueh confirmed on Saturday the school was approached by the Big 12, to which the AD said "no thanks."

"We were approached by the Big 12, and I told them we're not a good fit for that conference. In the Big 12, geography makes sense, the economics make sense, but the recruiting makes no sense for us. I can't recruit against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State," Mueh explained.

"That's why I turned down the Big 12. I can't do that to my kids, because they'll get beat up. I'd love the extra $12 million or whatever it would be per year from the TV money. And I know how I'd spend the money. I'd build a new soccer stadium, and I'd build a new baseball facility, all in one year. But I can't do that."

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32601781

Stupid, tbh.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, he knows his place and it would be cool if all the service academies ended up in one conference.

vander
10-09-2011, 06:49 PM
hope the Big East survives, don't want to see 4 or 5 super conferences

need the BCS to stay the way it is

Sisk
10-09-2011, 07:12 PM
hope the Big East survives, don't want to see 4 or 5 super conferences

need the BCS to stay the way it is

A Boise St. fan saying to keep the BCS the way it is? Is this the twilight zone?

vander
10-09-2011, 08:12 PM
A Boise St. fan saying to keep the BCS the way it is? Is this the twilight zone?

I've been an adamant supporter of the BCS for as long as I've posted here. as all BSU fans should be

BCS helps the little guys like BSU

all we have to do is be in the top 14 and BAM: BC$ bowl game

JayTheClown
10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
I've been an adamant supporter of the BCS for as long as I've posted here. as all BSU fans should be

BCS helps the little guys like BSU

all we have to do is be in the top 14 and BAM: BC$ bowl game

Plus sooner or later Boise should getting a AQ conference invite. the PAC 12 may go that route someday or maybe the Big 12. The Big 12 should be calling Boise right now. To me Boise is the only choice they have at the moment.

DirkDoesWork
10-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't want to join either after they got 59 dropped on them by Notre Dame

There's no telling how much OU and Okie Lite would score on them

Brutalis
10-10-2011, 01:28 AM
I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to join a conference taking a nose dive looking towards a burning infernal of fail either.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2011, 02:46 AM
lol drama pig

Blake
10-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, he knows his place and it would be cool if all the service academies ended up in one conference.

It would be great, but travel for AF would be terrible.

If the AD is so scared of UT and OU then why did they just finish playing notre dame?

Maybe they should just drop down to FCS level so those boys don't get hurt as much.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
It would be great, but travel for AF would be terrible.

If the AD is so scared of UT and OU then why did they just finish playing notre dame?

Maybe they should just drop down to FCS level so those boys don't get hurt as much.Ultimately, why is any team outside of the ten or so that are real perennial contenders for a BCS championship in the FBS?

Like I said, he knows his place. Service academy athletics and conference memberships are limited by the schools' mission. It's difficult to compare them to other schools. I agree travel could suck for them, but if it's football-only I'm not sure it's going to be much different from most years when they are playing Army, Navy and Notre Dame anyway.