PDA

View Full Version : If you're going to drop a nuke...

Yonivore
10-09-2011, 09:56 PM
...you'd better be prepared for the fallout.

Republicans vow retaliation after Reid uses nuclear option in Senate (http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/186365-gop-vows-retaliation-after-reid-uses-nuclear-option-to-change-senate-rules)

Republican may withhold unanimous consent on every piece of legislation, causing each and every bill to be read before being deliberated. I hope the Senate Clerk is stocked up on throat lozenges...

Senate Republicans vow they will retaliate for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) decision to unilaterally change the Senate’s rules Thursday without prior warning or negotiation.

Republican aides say their bosses will now be even more reluctant to allow the Senate to conduct routine business by unanimous consent, forcing Reid to gather 60 votes for even the most mundane matters.
Of course, that's not the only fallout...

When, Democrats lose the Senate in 2012, they'll be subject to the rules they've created.

It may be a long time before we have a functioning Senate again. Probably about the time there are less than 40 Democrats in the Chamber.

ElNono
10-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Does your cheering for more obstructionism was vetted by Cain, yoni? :lol

DMX7
10-10-2011, 12:53 AM
You can't threaten to be more obstructionist if you're already operating at near 100% obstructionism.

Old Man McCain
10-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Yoni starts another shitty thread and promptly gets his ass handed to him. Par for the course for you. Just once, can you win one of your arguments/threads?

It's like freakin' Groundhog Day with you. Shitty articles, YouTubes, graphs, you name it. You and your partner in douchery (WC) took that climate thread to 60+ pages, WTF was that? :lol

Even little Boutons kicks your ass here. You've become the KoolaidMan of the forum and thats nothing to be proud of.

admiralsnackbar
10-10-2011, 02:32 AM
You can't threaten to be more obstructionist if you're already operating at near 100% obstructionism.

This bears repeating.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2011, 02:52 AM
So they can just be changed back.

lol nuclear reversal

Wild Cobra
10-10-2011, 03:07 AM
Wow.

I heard a tidbit of this on the radio today, but reading the article...

Wow. Just wow.

I see bad fallout coming towards the democrats.

admiralsnackbar
10-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Wow.

I heard a tidbit of this on the radio today, but reading the article...

Wow. Just wow.

I see bad fallout coming towards the democrats.

Why? It's the first evidence of cojones on the Dem side in years, and as was already pointed out, it completely calls the bluff on the GOP obstructionism in the Senate that has existed since 2010.

Wild Cobra
10-10-2011, 03:21 AM
I see things different.

Without being able to stop certain amendments, they will now stop the entire bill. Now they can always blame blocking passage of a bill of any one amendment.

admiralsnackbar
10-10-2011, 03:25 AM
I see things different.

Without being able to stop certain amendments, they will now stop the entire bill. Now they can always blame blocking passage of a bill of any one amendment.

Viva la difference.

boutons_deux
10-10-2011, 05:36 AM
So Dems better not play hardball, because the Repugs have been playing hardball for 20 years?

Yoni is such a level-playing-field We-Do-Unto-Other-Who-Better-Not-Do-Unto-Us guy.

Type right-wing bully dicklessness. We're tough mofo's, so y'all roll over and play dead.

Borat Sagyidev
10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Conservatives should be happy they are sitting at the table rather sent away with sticks of dynamite shoved up their rectum.

They are 100% obstructionist as it is. If I was running the country, they'd be dead. There is only so much BS anyone can put up with

Agloco
10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
It may be a long time before we have a functioning Senate again.

It functions in its current iteration?

Yonivore
10-10-2011, 09:59 AM
No, it doesn't.

Yonivore
10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Conservatives should be happy they are sitting at the table rather sent away with sticks of dynamite shoved up their rectum.

They are 100% obstructionist as it is. If I was running the country, they'd be dead. There is only so much BS anyone can put up with
:lmao

Yonivore
10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Why? It's the first evidence of cojones on the Dem side in years, and as was already pointed out, it completely calls the bluff on the GOP obstructionism in the Senate that has existed since 2010.
I don't know why you call it obstructionist. The Republican actions, causing Reid to deploy the nuke, were designed to bring Obama's job bill to a vote. Reid knew he didn't have the votes to pass it and so, instead, he panicked and nuked the whole process.

It wasn't cajones, it was desperation.

Also, if you want to call Republican obstructionists, they're pikers compared to Harry Reid who has received over a hundred bills from the House he refuses to even put on the calendar.

Reid -- and by extension, Democrats -- is the obstructionist.

ElNono
10-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know why you call it obstructionist.

No, it doesn't.

Agloco
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
No, it doesn't.

So it's the same difference as between 60 seconds and one minute then. It depends only on what obstructionist convention you prefer.

Yonivore
10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
So it's the same difference as between 60 seconds and one minute then. It depends only on what obstructionist convention you prefer.
Actually, I don't see the Republicans obstructing. They were trying to get the bill to a vote. Reid obstructed.

Over a hundred bill, passed by a Republican House, sit unattended in Reid's inbox. Reid is the obstructionist.

And, until he and his like are gone from the Senate or -- if they remain -- until there are fewer than 40 Democrats, it will remain obstructed.

With 23 Democrat vs. 10 Republican Senate seats up next election, it may only be another 15 months. But, if the dynamics don't change, it'll be for much longer.

ElNono
10-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Over a hundred bill, passed by a Republican House, sit unattended in Reid's inbox. Reid is the obstructionist.

Don't be disingenuous (well, I might be asking for too much). You can pass 1,000,000 bills. If you're not willing to sit down and compromise for the bill's passage, you're just putting up a dog and pony show.

Cantor said (http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/cantor-obama-jobs-will-dead-on-arrival/) the jobs bill was "dead on arrival". That's not compromising, that's obstructing. They don't have to vote for what's proposed. But being unwilling to even consider it is simply obstructionism.

ElNono
10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
FWIW, Dems need to wise up too. This Congress, both sides, are a shame to this country. 1 in 10 americans are without a job out there, and spectators to this partisan circle-jerk while nothing gets done.

Borat Sagyidev
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
:lmao
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y2gIi_9hE-k/TmsojF8QSWI/AAAAAAAAA6Y/sFEP-YNsivY/s1600/deathpanelbabies.jpg