PDA

View Full Version : let's talk vinyl siding...

Bender
10-10-2011, 09:19 AM
has anybody had it done to their whole house? total cost?

if you don't want to, or can't, pay the entire cost up front, can you get your house siding done in separate jobs - like get the right and left sides done first, then later get the back done?

is the insulation also replaced when you get your siding re-done?

I would be interested in the "no maintenance, no painting" vinyl siding.

clambake
10-10-2011, 10:59 AM
go with leather.

Bender
10-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I guess vinyl siding isn't as interesting as sucking up water through your nose, or punching people in the face :depressed

clambake
10-10-2011, 11:21 AM
ok. whats wrong with what you have?

marini martini
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I guess vinyl siding isn't as interesting as sucking up water through your nose, or punching people in the face :depressed

:lol

Sorry don't know prices on vinyl siding, we stucco'd 5 years ago. Paid @ $6500.

Couldn't you get a home equity loan?

Bender
10-10-2011, 11:41 AM
ok. whats wrong with what you have?front face of the house seems ok - its rock and/or stucco. other sides and back are siding - but old and crappy looking. Both houses on the sides of mine have replaced their siding with nice vinyl siding... makes mine look all the worse.

yeah, keeping up with the Joneses I guess you could say.

Not really friendly with neighbors on one side, but friendly with the neighbors on the other side. I might ask them about it, but I hate to ask "how much did it cost?"

Couldn't you get a home equity loan?yes, I was planning on that possibliity. But if one or two sides aren't that much, I would rather pay up front.

clambake
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
is it curling?

Bender
10-10-2011, 11:51 AM
its just generally old. house is from... 1982 probably. Has some holes in it - woodpeckers maybe - and the bottom 6 or 8 inches is curling, rippled & chipped.

it needs repainting very bad, but that would cost 1000's right? why not get "no painting needed" vinyl siding? Seems better in the long run. House is way too big for me, and I might rent it out several years from now. And redoing the siding would help resale value and/or rent value.

Dex
10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Troy McClure: Hello, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from such instructional videos as 'Mothballing Your Battleship,' and 'Dig Your Own Grave and Save!' Now over the next six hours I'll be taking you through the 'dos' and 'do not dos' of foundation repair. Ready?
Homer: Ready!
Troy: First, patch the cracks in the slab using a latex patching compound and a patching trowel.
Homer: [to Bart] Hand me my patching trowel, boy.
[Bart shrugs.]
Homer: Hmm.
Troy: Now, do you have extruded poly-vinyl foam insulation?
Homer: No.
Troy: Good! Assemble the aluminum J-channel using self-burring screws. Install!
Homer: What do I do for-
Troy: After applying brushable coating to the panels,
Homer: Wait a minute-
Troy: You'll need some corrosion resistant metal stucco lath.
Homer: Wait a minute!
Troy: If you can't find metal stucco lath...
Homer: Uh-huh?
Troy: Use carbon-fiber stucco lath!
Homer: D'ohhh!
Troy: Now parge the lath!

Frenzy
10-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Troy McClure: Hello, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from such instructional videos as 'Mothballing Your Battleship,' and 'Dig Your Own Grave and Save!' Now over the next six hours I'll be taking you through the 'dos' and 'do not dos' of foundation repair. Ready?
Homer: Ready!
Troy: First, patch the cracks in the slab using a latex patching compound and a patching trowel.
Homer: [to Bart] Hand me my patching trowel, boy.
[Bart shrugs.]
Homer: Hmm.
Troy: Now, do you have extruded poly-vinyl foam insulation?
Homer: No.
Troy: Good! Assemble the aluminum J-channel using self-burring screws. Install!
Homer: What do I do for-
Troy: After applying brushable coating to the panels,
Homer: Wait a minute-
Troy: You'll need some corrosion resistant metal stucco lath.
Homer: Wait a minute!
Troy: If you can't find metal stucco lath...
Homer: Uh-huh?
Troy: Use carbon-fiber stucco lath!
Homer: D'ohhh!
Troy: Now parge the lath!

Exactly what I was thinking. Curse YouTube for not having every clip my heart desires.

mrsmaalox
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
The only thing I know about vinyl siding is that if you are not going to have it all done at once, make sure you buy the exact brand that is already on the house. My hubby's house had some holes in the back (looked like our sons' errant airsoft shots) that were allowing water to leak in, causing mold and making the siding crack from brittleness. When we had the trim painted, I asked the contractor if he could fix that siding and he said sure just buy the pieces. I was mostly concerned about matching the color, but what I bought wasn't the same brand so the connectors (I think they are called "channels") didn't match. So although the house looks nice, the siding has big gaps where the new and old meet and we are back to square one with the leak/mold situation. This next time, we'll just have the whole thing done.

CosmicCowboy
10-11-2011, 09:59 AM
You really should check out stucco systems instead of vinyl siding. Cost is not that different and creeps can't break into your house just by cutting a hole in your wall with a pocket knife.

Drachen
10-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Maybe you could also look into fibre-cement siding.

Edit: WTF am I british? FIBER

CosmicCowboy
10-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Maybe you could also look into fibre-cement siding.

Edit: WTF am I british? FIBER

I'm pretty sure he could do synthetic stucco for the cost of hardiboard.

Bender
10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I hate to think what will be under there when the old stuff is removed... mold, rot, etc.