PDA

View Full Version : The End of Texas as We Know It.

JoeChalupa
10-10-2011, 01:48 PM
http://www.newstaco.com/2011/10/10/the-end-of-texas-as-we-know-it/

There’s no doubt the world is in a crazy place right now, and Texas is no exception. It seems we’re entering a whole new era in the history of the Lone Star State. Here are 10 recent developments that seem to signal the end of Texas as we’ve known it.

1. The end of UT-A&M.

With Texas A&M football’s move to the SEC (that’s the Southeastern Conference to all you non-football people) this year, comes the possible end of the annual football game between the Aggies and the Longhorns. This would mark the end of a rivalry that began in 1894. I’m not even sure what happens on Thanksgiving weekend without this game, but I think next year we may well find out.

2. The end of rain.

As we learned from this recent Observer story, we are in a bad way when it comes to rain. This latest drought—already one of the worst in recorded history—could extend well into 2012, and perhaps beyond, says state climatologist John Nielsen-Gammon. Remember tubing? Remember when the state wasn’t on fire? Me neither.

3. The end of the Space Shuttle program.

This summer marked the official end of the NASA space shuttle program, which was housed at the Johnson Space Center in Houston. We won’t be sending anyone into space for quite a while. You have to wonder how many kids will even be interested in space. It reminds me of a bit British comic Eddie Izzard does about what his teacher told him when he announced, as a child, that he wanted to be an astronaut one day. “Look, you’re English, so scale it back a bit.” I never imagined we’d have to say that to American kids, but with the cutbacks to the Texas public school system this year, we’ll have little money for trivial things like “science” class.

4. The end of US-Mexico border relations.

When I was growing up in Brownsville, I used to go to Mexico for lunch during high school and make it back in time for Spanish class. (Shhh, don’t tell my parents.) Gone are the days when border-dwelling Texans could safely make the five-minute drive to Mexico for low-cost haircuts and orthodontist appointments. Add to that the dang fence, and the symbiotic relationship between Texas-Mexico border communities seems a thing of the past.

5. The end of Bastrop State Park.

This summer, due to the extreme heat and unprecedented drought, 95% of Bastrop State Park’s 6,500 acres, were destroyed by wildfires. With the forest floor burned bare, park Superintendent Todd McClanahan told the Austin American-Statesman, “We call it a moonscape.” Adding that he has no idea how or when the park will recover since, “We don’t have a lot of historical data on something this tragic.”

6. The end of the Democratic winning streak in Hidalgo County.

Last year, state Rep. Aaron Peña (R-Edinburg) announced mid-term that he would be running next election season as a Republican in a district that he says has never before elected one. No matter, the Republicans just drew him up a new GOP-friendly district. Could this mark the GOP’s foray into the Rio Grande Valley, a long-held Democratic stronghold?

7. The end of Lloyd Doggett?

Democratic congressman Lloyd Doggett has been annoying Texas Republicans since before Rick Perry was one. But with this year’s redistricting-palooza, the GOP has given him a new district that could spell trouble for Anglo, liberal Democrats in Central Texas. The Austin native will be running in a mostly San Antonio, mostly Hispanic district against wonder-twin Joaquin Castro. It’s our very own version of the Obama-Clinton showdown. Who will win is anybody’s guess, but Doggett is certainly not in his comfort zone.

8. The end of political apathy.

Recent political upheaval has begat two popular movements on the right and the left. The Tea Party came first and, though it was sometimes populated by racists, it managed to get some real voting power at the state and national level. Now comes Occupy Wall Street and folks with similar movements taking off in all major Texas cities. Occupy Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Lubbock begin tomorrow (Oct. 6). Though critics complain the Occupy movement lacks focus, protesters in New York City have already gotten the support of some veteran Labor activists and uniformed military. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a sea change in the way Generation Y uses its political clout. Though Gen X and the Baby Boomers were seduced by money, Gen Y has no choice but to fight for their share of the American Dream, which, as witnessed by the above list, is going up in smoke.

9. The end of white majority.

If Texas changes in none of the other ways I have predicted, there’s no denying that the face of Texas is browner. The 2010 census informed us of that fact months ago. When the death rattle of the conservative Anglo power structure that has defined this state for so long is over, what will be left?

10. The end of Rick Perry?

There are those who say that Rick Perry’s bid for the presidency is losing momentum with every GOP debate. Between his support of providing discounted in-state college tuition to children of illegal immigrants, his poor debate skills and his unfortunately named family hunting lease, Perry may be witnessing the end of his presidential dream. If that happens, is he really going to find support in Texas? Can he successfully run for reelection in 2014 after so much controversy? And if his long reign as governor finally comes to an end, let’s take this opportunity to make some changes that help everyone and leave the cronyism behind.

The End.

What say you all?

DarrinS
10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
My back yard is flooded.

DarrinS
10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
When the death rattle of the conservative Anglo power structure that has defined this state for so long is over, what will be left?

Who writes this shit?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't know if I can take anything seriously from a "news taco".

clambake
10-10-2011, 01:56 PM
just the beginning of texas men sucking up to their boss.

ElNono
10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
You can still go to mexico for a cheap orthodontist appointment if you have a passport...

clambake
10-10-2011, 02:01 PM
You can still go to mexico for a cheap orthodontist appointment if you have a passport...

its not about that. its about fear.

hell, you can't even get yoni to put gas in the car.

Yonivore
10-10-2011, 02:05 PM
1. The end of UT-A&M.

I'm not sure how college games are scheduled but, with more than a couple of non-conference games on their schedule, every year, I'm sure, if they decided, Texas and Texas A&M could continue the tradition. Hopefully, they can work it out but, if not, not many people miss SWC games with Rice, SMU, or Houston so; meh, I say life moves on.

2. The end of rain.

Droughts happen. We'll survive this one. Some places got 8" of rain this weekend -- directly in the highland lakes watershed, no less.

The birth of a private space industry that will dare to exceed NASA's reach -- if government will just stay out of the way. There's profit in space and the capitalist pigs will have it.

4. The end of US-Mexico border relations.

That is sad. Strong border security and a smart immigration policy would help. But, not allowing American guns to just walk across the border would be an excellent way to start repairing the damage.

5. The end of Bastrop State Park.

Forest fires are nature's way of renewing the forest. The only real damage occurred to man made structures. I predict Bastrop State Park will be more beautiful than before, in due time.

6. The end of the Democratic winning streak in Hidalgo County.

Not a bad thing, IMO.

7. The end of Lloyd Doggett?

Again, I see this as a plus.

8. The end of political apathy.

Not a bad thing, your mischaracterizations, of both movements, notwithstanding.

9. The end of white majority.

Didn't you bemoan the loss of Doggett and Hidalgo County, to conservatives? what am I missing? Racial diversity doesn't automatically translate into Democrat or liberal gains. Marco Rubio and Herman Cain are just two examples of where racial groups can no longer be depended on to blindly follow the liberal or Democrat party.

10. The end of Rick Perry?

Yes. Even if he wouldn't be my preference; Rick Perry can be Texas Governor for as long as he likes. With the exception of the Capitol city, Texas is as conservative a state as you're going to find.

baseline bum
10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
1. The end of UT-A&M.

The birth of a private space industry that will dare to exceed NASA's reach -- if government will just stay out of the way. There's profit in space and the capitalist pigs will have it.

What profit is there in putting up a telescope to succeed the Hubble or in shooting probes to the outer planets? Trying to answer cosmological questions about dark energy and the like aren't likely to have any short-term benefits to industry, and thus would never be undertaken by the private sector. Sending landers to Mars isn't going to show any kind of profit anytime soon, as we don't have anything close to the technology to transport things we could mine there back here. What profit is there in space now aside from satellites and possibly tourism?

ElNono
10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
What profit is there in putting up a telescope to succeed the Hubble or in shooting probes to the outer planets? Trying to answer cosmological questions about dark energy and the like aren't likely to have any short-term benefits to industry, and thus would never be undertaken by the private sector. Sending landers to Mars isn't going to show any kind of profit anytime soon, as we don't have anything close to the technology to transport things we could mine there back here. What profit is there in space now aside from satellites and possibly tourism?

Plus that whole "science" thing is a waste of money... Who needs "science" when you have god? (here comes mouse :lol)

baseline bum
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Plus that whole "science" thing is a waste of money... Who needs "science" when you have god? (here comes mouse :lol)

It's amazing how well government spending for science/defense works. Because of our work in WWII trying to break the codes for the Nazi Enigma machines we ended up with a simple architecture and model for computation that was the groundwork for a thriving computer industry. Because of NASA we now have an amazing communication network setup so that I can have 500 channels on my TV. Because of DARPA's desire for mutually assured destruction in the case of nuclear war with the Soviets we now have another network that has allowed tons of great businesses to pop up and give customers the ability to purchase things from home and have tons of choices instead of being stuck either going to Best Buy or Circuit City (RIP). Not to mention uncensored access to information (outside of China or Egypt, that is).

ElNono
10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
It's amazing how well government spending for science/defense works. Because of our work in WWII trying to break the codes for the Nazi Enigma machines we ended up with a simple architecture and model for computation that was the groundwork for a thriving computer industry. Because of NASA we now have an amazing communication network setup so that I can have 500 channels on my TV. Because of DARPA's desire for mutually assured destruction in the case of nuclear war with the Soviets we now have another network that has allowed tons of great businesses to pop up and give customers the ability to purchase things from home and have tons of choices instead of being stuck either going to Best Buy or Circuit City (RIP). Not to mention uncensored access to information (outside of China or Egypt, that is).

I thought that was Al Gore, tbh :lol

baseline bum
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Fuck him and his cunt wife Tipper tbh.

JoeChalupa
10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with newstaco.

CosmicCowboy
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
There is nothing wrong with newstaco.

Chalupas and tacos go together.

xrayzebra
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
:lolYeah, well we lost A&M, but looks like we are getting a very good team to replace them,
TCU.

And I would bet, even if it takes a special session of the Legs, that the Texas-A&M
game will continue on Thanksgiving.

About rain. Ever since I can remember we are either coming out of a drought or
going into one. Right after we had that last flood......

Much has changed on the Mexican/Texas border in the past few years. The Del Rio
fire department will no longer assist Cidad Acuna fire department after they had
to call out the Army to help provide protection and then took off leaving them
all on their own after a bombing over there.

Texas has changed a lot. I always blame it on Air Conditioning. The yankee's
couldn't take the heat so wouldn't live down here. A/C changed all that. All
of us used to just move outside in the summer. Didn't have many breakin's in
those days.
:lol

Winehole23
10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Didn't have many breakin's in
those days.when, please?

LnGrrrR
10-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Though critics complain the Occupy movement lacks focus, protesters in New York City have already gotten the support of some veteran Labor activists and uniformed military

Link? That's against the rules. Military personnel can attend rallies, but not in uniform.

SnakeBoy
10-10-2011, 11:31 PM

So do you oppose slashing the military's budget?

baseline bum
10-10-2011, 11:57 PM
So do you oppose slashing the military's budget?

I oppose dicking around in guerrilla wars in the Middle East, so I would like to slash those sunk costs.

CosmicCowboy
10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
:lolYeah, well we lost A&M, but looks like we are getting a very good team to replace them, TCU.

This was a great move and increased the IQ of both the Big 12 (10) and the SEC.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Fuck him and his cunt wife Tipper tbh.

¡Wërd!

Oh, Gee!!
10-11-2011, 03:04 PM
What profit is there in space now aside from satellites and possibly tourism?

drilling for oil on the moon. enslaving martians to make cheap products to sell at the wal-mart.