PDA

View Full Version : Occupy going worldwide. Arab spring turning into World Spring

cheguevara
10-11-2011, 09:45 AM
It started in tunisia by a poor man lighting himself on fire. Then took down tyranies in the middle East. Then moving into Europe, South America and now in the Good Ol USA. The World Spring is here.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/11/uk-global-politics-protest-idUSLNE79A03Z20111011

(Reuters) - After the "Arab Spring" and unrest in Europe, New York's "Occupy Wall Street" movement may be the latest sign of a global, popular backlash against elites with increasingly shared rhetoric and tactics.

On almost every continent, 2011 has seen an almost unprecedented rise in both peaceful and sometimes violent unrest and dissent. Protesters in a lengthening list of countries including Israel, India, Chile, China, Britain, Spain and now the United States all increasingly link their actions explicitly to the popular revolutions that have shaken up the Middle East.

The slogans on the streets of Manhattan and other U.S. cities also show a host of other intermingling influences, from the British student protests last year to the "indignados" (indignant) anti-austerity demonstrations in Greece and Spain.

What they all share in common is a feeling that the youth and middle class are paying a high price for mismanagement and malfeasance by an out-of-touch corporate, financial and political elite.

When hundreds of protesters blocked London's Westminster Bridge on Sunday in anger at upcoming changes to Britain's National Health Service, they took on slogans from U.S. protesters who describe themselves as the "99 percent" paying the price for mistakes by a tiny minority.

cheguevara
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
'Occupy Taipei' protest planned for Saturday
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=1732219

Taipei, Oct. 11 (CNA) Protesters in Taiwan will gather at Taipei 101 on Oct. 15 to join other people around the world in staging their own version of the "Occupy Wall Street (OWS)" demonstration that has been in progress in the United States for almost a month. The Taiwan protest will be a peaceful gathering and will take the form of a group discussion outside the landmark tower, initiators said.

cheguevara
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
'Occupy Taipei' protest planned for Saturday
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=1732219

Taipei, Oct. 11 (CNA) Protesters in Taiwan will gather at Taipei 101 on Oct. 15 to join other people around the world in staging their own version of the "Occupy Wall Street (OWS)" demonstration that has been in progress in the United States for almost a month. The Taiwan protest will be a peaceful gathering and will take the form of a group discussion outside the landmark tower, initiators said.

cheguevara
10-11-2011, 09:52 AM
meanwhile, in the most "stable" country in south america:

Chile: 250 arrests, unions call nationwide strike
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/chile-250-arrests-unions-1196437.html

The protests continued into Thursday night, with large numbers of Chileans turning out to bang pots and pans across metropolitan Santiago.

Chadwick defended the police response, which included arrests of at least five journalists as they covered the disturbances, prompting a strong protest from Chile's journalists' union and news organizations.

"If the police overreacted, we're going to control that, but we are going to respect the police, we are going to support the police, because it's the only way we can apply the law, work within the law and respect the law," Chadwick said.

The prolonged conflict seems to have hit a dead end. Education Minister Felipe Bulnes and President Sebastian Pinera are rejected the key student demands of changing Chile's largely privatized system, which puts most of the burden of funding education on individual families, with one that gives the state a central role in ensuring free, high-quality education. The activists want to finance it by raising taxes on the rich and businesses.

Yonivore
10-11-2011, 09:53 AM
It started in tunisia by a poor man lighting himself on fire. Then took down tyranies in the middle East. Then moving into Europe, South America and now in the Good Ol USA. The World Spring is here.

:lmao

I'll take the "Occupy" folks seriously when they start lighting themselves on fire.

World Spring, my ass. What these people need is some fucking Irish Spring.

Winehole23
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Dirty fucking hippies.

cheguevara
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I agree American Spring is in it's infancy but it will evolve eventually.

It will probably start with banging pots and pans, then to a few hunger strikes, maybe even some crucifixions. and eventually, why not, a couple of human bonfires.

101A
10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Weak v. Powerful is coming to this country; I don't think we're ready to go "all in" just yet, however. It's gonna take the realization, or epiphany of the occupy folks and the tea partiers that there is quite a bit of common ground between them.

The political elites the tea partiers are mad at are one and the same with the financial elites the occupiers despise. They ALL need to go.

101A
10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
I've already formed my tribe for when the shit hits the fan, btw. Got some talented people recruited. Doctors, Dentists, military, farmers, blacksmith, etc....even a couple of lawyers (for when food gets scarce).

Winehole23
10-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I've already formed my tribe for when the shit hits the fan, btw.Damn. I'm pretending that it's still 1985, and all this is still basically unthinkable.

My sentiments haven't adjusted to the historical shift; my mind still lingers in the allegedly defunct, pre-9/11 republic. I'm basically effed if there's a big social breakdown. I would prefer not to think of it at all.

101A
10-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Damn. I'm pretending that it's still 1985, and all this is still basically unthinkable.

My sentiments haven't adjusted to the historical shift; my mind still lingers in the allegedly defunct, pre-9/11 republic. I'm basically effed if there's a big social breakdown. I would prefer not to think of it at all.

Physical impairment, something more critical?

Drug and feed stores, even a dialysis clinic are on our "conquer immediately" list.

No matter; you've got a good mind; we can use you.

How far are you from Western Pa?

101A
10-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh, when you come make sure you're yelling, "I'm Winehole, 101A said I could join!" really loud, otherwise, well, you know...

cheguevara
10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
http://www.cphpost.dk/news/international/89-international/52305-occupywallstreet-comes-to-denmark.html

#OccupyWallStreet comes to Denmark

TeyshaBlue
10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
<----able to portray Winehole when necessary.:lol

Winehole23
10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Oh, when you come make sure you're yelling, "I'm Winehole, 101A said I could join!" really loud, otherwise, well, you know...:rollin

ElNono
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Here's a picture of 101A in West PA...

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/2068/1250708202.jpg

MannyIsGod
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM

MannyIsGod
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Which post apocalyptic world do you guys envision? I'm gonna go ahead and go with water world.

101A
10-11-2011, 10:58 AM
<----able to portray Winehole when necessary.:lol

Log Entry:

If a guy shows up claiming to be Winehole, but wearing Mavs gear....well, you know...

Agloco
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM

I'll take the "Occupy" folks seriously when they start lighting themselves on fire.

The more I read your posts, the more convinced I am that you're afraid that this might actually happen at some point.

TeyshaBlue
10-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Log Entry:

If a guy shows up claiming to be Winehole, but wearing Mavs gear....well, you know...

Dammit!:bang
:lol

Hook Dem
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM

:lol:lol:lol

cantthinkofanything
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Which post apocalyptic world do you guys envision?

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2011/07/06/Care-Bears_510.jpg

DarrinS
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
What they need is Irish Spring. Zing

Spurminator
10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
You and Yonivore must be on the same email list. See above.

Winehole23
10-12-2011, 01:36 PM
VjSNrg7T0Wo
Aye, a mite too strong

Winehole23
10-12-2011, 01:40 PM
_-pAD10sqGA
...and we like it too!

Yonivore
10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I just noticed the title of this thread.

Is the poster suggesting the "Occupy" movement is an extension of the causes of the Arab uprisings?

I'd like to see that connection made.

Borat Sagyidev
10-12-2011, 07:11 PM

Typical sit at home baby boomer response.

I'm pretty sure you'll still be saying that when AK-47 barrel is shoved in your ocular cavity.

Almost every non-redeployed member from my unit from Afghanistan just volunteered for one of these events today. The media also conveniently didn't cover it.

Yonivore
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Typical sit at home baby boomer response.

I'm pretty sure you'll still be saying that when AK-47 barrel is shoved in your ocular cavity.

Almost every non-redeployed member from my unit from Afghanistan just volunteered for one of these events today. The media also conveniently didn't cover it.
Well, goody for them. What are they protesting?

ChumpDumper
10-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, goody for them. What are they protesting?Haven't you been telling us what they are protesting for a week?

If you don't know, I see no reason for you to be shitting your pants 18 hours a day about it.

ElNono
10-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I just noticed the title of this thread.

Is the poster suggesting the "Occupy" movement is an extension of the causes of the Arab uprisings?

I'd like to see that connection made.

What do you think, yoni?

vy65
10-12-2011, 08:34 PM
jgSC8Qle6nA

mingus
10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
4% of American college graduates don't have jobs. Americans can qualify for financial and obtain a degree in any career they want, preferably one that's in high demand.

America sure is unkind.

Cry Havoc
10-12-2011, 08:56 PM
4% of American college graduates don't have jobs. Americans can qualify for financial and obtain a degree in any career they want, preferably one that's in high demand.

America sure is unkind.

It's really unkind when you don't cite any sources while lofting about random statistics.

ElNono
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
1 in 10 americans don't have a job, and the recommendation is that they get through the nose in debt?

smh

mingus
10-12-2011, 09:22 PM
It's really unkind when you don't cite any sources while lofting about random statistics.

I would if I knew you asked everyone on this board to cite what they say. Otherwise, do what I did and find them yourself.

mingus
10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
1 in 10 americans don't have a job, and the recommendation is that they get through the nose in debt?

smh

Go to community college for 2 years, then transfer out to Uni and complete out the degree. I know plenty of people who've done this while accumulating relatively liitle debt. Do the costs really outweigh the benefits? I mean you don't have to attend Harvard.

hater
10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Go to community college for 2 years, then transfer out to Uni and complete out the degree. I know plenty of people who've done this while accumulating relatively liitle debt.

for what? there aint no jobs for college grads and there ain't gona be for a few years.

IMO skip college and go work in a factory or something. or try out for pro sports.

ElNono
10-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Go to community college for 2 years, then transfer out to Uni and complete out the degree. I know plenty of people who've done this while accumulating relatively liitle debt. Do the costs really outweigh the benefits? I mean you don't have to attend Harvard.

And you live out of what while you accumulate the debt?

The benefits aren't really tangible until there's a job climate that pretty much ensures you're going to be employed when you're done. Again 1 in 10 people capable of working don't have a job right now.

Trainwreck2100
10-13-2011, 12:28 AM

smh

That doesn't even take underemployment into account

mingus
10-13-2011, 12:37 AM
And you live out of what while you accumulate the debt?

The benefits aren't really tangible until there's a job climate that pretty much ensures you're going to be employed when you're done. Again 1 in 10 people capable of working don't have a job right now.

you don't have to live out of anything different when you work toward a degree and accumulate debt than when you weren't. the college is giving you financial aid and you pay it pack post-grad when you have a job. get a degree in something demanded and i'd say the climate is pretty damn good. 4% of college grads without a job. all of my college grad friends got jobs. 1/10 capable of doing work are not working, but how many of those are w/o a degree? which is exactly my point. working toward a degree instead of protesting would make a lot of sense for these people. their propsects of getting a job would signifantly better.

ElNono
10-13-2011, 01:05 AM
you don't have to live out of anything different when you work toward a degree and accumulate debt than when you weren't. the college is giving you financial aid and you pay it pack post-grad when you have a job. get a degree in something demanded and i'd say the climate is pretty damn good. 4% of college grads without a job. all of my college grad friends got jobs. 1/10 capable of doing work are not working, but how many of those are w/o a degree? which is exactly my point. working toward a degree instead of protesting would make a lot of sense for these people. their propsects of getting a job would signifantly better.

How many? And why at least half of them had a job before the recession?

If the problem would be having a degree, then it would've been a problem in the past too. The problem isn't degree vs non-degree. The problem is that it's cheaper to pay an indian or a chinese, degree or not, to do things. And it isn't just manufacturing or low paying jobs anymore. Even services have been outsourced en-masse. Companies and banks sitting on piles of cash.

Accumulating debt when you don't have income nor prospect for an income is always a bad idea, IMO. The reason is that you'll eventually going to have to start making payments, and if you can't then you're going to have to hit bankruptcy, and it will take many years to recover.

What you ideally want to do is find a job, any job, AND study. But the situation right now in the job market is very precarious.

What's worse is the clowns in DC (both parties) are fighting over petty bullshit and doing nothing about it. But when they had to bail out the banks, it was all hands on deck. While I don't think these protesters are really going to get much, if anything, done, I understand where they're coming from.

Wild Cobra
10-13-2011, 02:54 AM

smh
That's not correct either. That is about 1 in 10 who are looking for work.

mingus
10-13-2011, 09:08 PM
How many? And why at least half of them had a job before the recession?

If the problem would be having a degree, then it would've been a problem in the past too. The problem isn't degree vs non-degree. The problem is that it's cheaper to pay an indian or a chinese, degree or not, to do things. And it isn't just manufacturing or low paying jobs anymore. Even services have been outsourced en-masse. Companies and banks sitting on piles of cash.

Accumulating debt when you don't have income nor prospect for an income is always a bad idea, IMO. The reason is that you'll eventually going to have to start making payments, and if you can't then you're going to have to hit bankruptcy, and it will take many years to recover.

What you ideally want to do is find a job, any job, AND study. But the situation right now in the job market is very precarious.

What's worse is the clowns in DC (both parties) are fighting over petty bullshit and doing nothing about it. But when they had to bail out the banks, it was all hands on deck. While I don't think these protesters are really going to get much, if anything, done, I understand where they're coming from.

i would say degree vs. non degree is a big part of the debate. unless you're mentally retarded or a drug addict, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get a degree in this country. if manufacturing and other low paying jobs are being moved oversees and govt. isn't going do anything about it, then go to college and get a degree in something that's in high demand. the people who didn't apply for financial aid and go to college in previous years and who leaned on shit jobs that weren't reliable (i've got an aunt who did this and she's regretting it) are paying for it. jobs have been are and will continue to move out of this country, esp. the ones that don't require any skill. go to college. get a degree. no point in protesting because those job arent coming back like they once were. it might get a little better, but globilization has taken those job from us in many ways. be a part of the 96% of college grads who have a job.

ElNono
10-13-2011, 09:31 PM
i would say degree vs. non degree is a big part of the debate. unless you're mentally retarded or a drug addict, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get a degree in this country. if manufacturing and other low paying jobs are being moved oversees and govt. isn't going do anything about it, then go to college and get a degree in something that's in high demand. the people who didn't apply for financial aid and go to college in previous years and who leaned on shit jobs that weren't reliable (i've got an aunt who did this and she's regretting it) are paying for it. jobs have been are and will continue to move out of this country, esp. the ones that don't require any skill. go to college. get a degree. no point in protesting because those job arent coming back like they once were. it might get a little better, but globilization has taken those job from us in many ways. be a part of the 96% of college grads who have a job.

But it isn't a big part of the debate, because those people were employed before. Outsourcing isn't just on low paying jobs. Ask anybody in IT or Communications about Indians (Tata and Co).
When those people started studying, it was a thriving sector.

That 96% number is also baloney:
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/etf20r4i-kmuhugzsygwgg.gif

Look at unemployment for college students (18-29) there: 14%
I'm not saying you shouldn't get a degree. What I'm saying is that studying and working has become quite problematic in this economic climate. If mom and dad is going to give your shelter and food while you study, then you can probably get away with it. Not everybody is in that situation though.

Th'Pusher
10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Lol at mingus regurgitating that 4% unemployment rate of college students Bill O'Rielly and fox news have been pumping. Turn that garbage off.

Agloco
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM

I think Fareed Zakaria quoted that about 4.5% with degrees are unemployed and 11% without are unemployed.

working toward a degree instead of protesting would make a lot of sense for these people. their propsects of getting a job would signifantly better.

True, but those degrees are about 3-4 years off now aren't they? There isn't an overnight solution to this.

Agloco
10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Lol at mingus regurgitating that 4% unemployment rate of college students Bill O'Rielly and fox news have been pumping. Turn that garbage off.

To be fair, Fareed Zakaria quoted a similar number on GPS not long ago. The real problem is with those that don't have degrees.

Agloco
10-13-2011, 10:39 PM
That's not correct either. That is about 1 in 10 who are looking for work.

How many more have quit though?

ElNono
10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
tbh, he isn't wrong about having a degree, especially some (finance, law, medicine), giving you a better shot. But I feel we're discussing two different things here.

44% of Americans don't have a college degree. That's almost half the population. Thinking they all can just get a loan, enroll in school, and live off thin air for the next few years is simply unrealistic.

Frankly, the whole "those jobs aren't coming back" line is really BS too. We've to be patriot enough to bailout some of these guys, but they don't have to be patriot enough to put country over bottom line. I'm not saying they should lose money hiring American, but a bunch of these companies are hoarding money and still hire in India/China, and they will use alleged hiring Americans as leverage to gets some tax holiday to bring in the tax money they've been evading for a while. Some of it is really disgusting stuff.

Agloco
10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
tbh, he isn't wrong about having a degree, especially some (finance, law, medicine), giving you a better shot. But I feel we're discussing two different things here.

44% of Americans don't have a college degree. That's almost half the population. Thinking they all can just get a loan, enroll in school, and live off thin air for the next few years is simply unrealistic.

Frankly, the whole "those jobs aren't coming back" line is really BS too. We've to be patriot enough to bailout some of these guys, but they don't have to be patriot enough to put country over bottom line. I'm not saying they should lose money hiring American, but a bunch of these companies are hoarding money and still hire in India/China, and they will use alleged hiring Americans as leverage to gets some tax holiday to bring in the tax money they've been evading for a while. Some of it is really disgusting stuff.

Fully agree here Nono. I just wanted to nip the "Bill Oreilly said it" thing in the bud.

Th'Pusher
10-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I'd like to see the unemployment rate for people who have graduated college since 2008. That would be more telling.

Stringer_Bell
10-13-2011, 11:17 PM
I'd like to see the unemployment rate for people who have graduated college since 2008. That would be more telling.

http://www.mybudget360.com/finance-economy-major-trends-in-employment-college-graduates-now-facing-higher-unemployment-u-6-rate-now-at-148-and-43-million-jobs-lost-during-this-recession/

Somewhat helpful, but I have no idea how to read it.

scott
10-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Obviously if everyone went out and got a college degree, that would lower the overall employment rate to 4.1% because, as we all know, when 1000 people graduate from college, 959 jobs just appear from magic job dust.

Stringer_Bell
10-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Obviously if everyone went out and got a college degree, that would lower the overall employment rate to 4.1% because, as we all know, when 1000 people graduate from college, 959 jobs just appear from magic job dust.

No, there's no such thing as magic job dust. What gets you a job after college is being desperate enough to work for less than 10.00 an hour, share an apartment with 2 other dudes, and eat Ramen for 2 years until you've saved up enough money to afford a girlfriend and your monthly MMORPG subscriptions without help from your parents.

It's not magic job dust, homie. It's simply the grit and determination to just get by, and then after that just get by comfortably.

Pshhhhh, magic job dust. Who the fuck would manufacture something like that anyway? Who controls the means of production on that shit? That's what I thought, cuz it don't fucking exist.

Agloco
10-13-2011, 11:45 PM

Wild Cobra
10-14-2011, 02:12 AM
How many more have quit though?
No idea, but the unemployment numbers regularly quoted do not include unemployed who are not looking for work.

Wild Cobra
10-14-2011, 02:15 AM
LOL...

You forgot the blue text.