PDA

View Full Version : Players to consider starting their own league

mavs>spurs
10-13-2011, 02:38 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/feed/2010-10/nba-labor/story/stoudemire-players-may-start-new-basketball-league?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk3%7C103946

New York Knicks forward Amare Stoudemire said players will seriously consider trying to start their own league should the 2011-12 NBA season be lost to the lockout. Players, in fact, have already discussed the concept.
"Obviously we're trying to ... get this lockout resolved,” Stoudemire said, according to ESPN (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7088249/amare-stoudemire-says-players-talked-starting-own-league). “We want to play NBA basketball. But if it doesn't happen what are we gonna do? We can't just sit around and not do anything. So we have to figure out ways to now continue to play basketball at a high level against top competition and have fun doing it. So, that's the next step. ...
If the NBA lockout lasts for years, "we've got to start our own league," Amare Stoudemire says. (AP Photo)
"If we don't go to Europe, then let's start our own league; that's how I see it,” he added.
There are numerous entry barriers the players would face in the effort to launch a new pro league, including finding arenas in which to play, a broadcaster willing to pay for and carry the games, sponsors and insurance.
Stoudemire, speaking at a promotional appearance for Nike in New York, added talk of the venture is "very, very serious. It's just a matter of us strategically coming up with a plan, a blueprint and putting it together. So we'll see how this lockout goes. If it goes one or two years, then we've got to start our own league."

Giuseppe
10-13-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm sure Stern is quaking in his boots.

BRHornet45
10-13-2011, 02:43 AM
lol niggas gonna be playing on BET

LkrFan
10-13-2011, 02:58 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

m>s
10-13-2011, 03:35 AM
dem niggas & the league are very close to make a compromise imho

LnGrrrR
10-13-2011, 03:45 AM
tbh, I wouldn't mind seeing a group of 20 good-to-elite players mix it up in a 4 team tourney, 4 team captains, normal pick'em rules apply

LkrFan
10-13-2011, 04:32 AM
tbh, I wouldn't mind seeing a group of 20 good-to-elite players mix it up in a 4 team tourney, 4 team captains, normal pick'em rules apply

As long as they keep Stern's zebras are not part of it...

BRHornet45
10-13-2011, 04:42 AM
sons considering that at least 55% of NBA players can't read or write, just how the fuck do they plan on doing this?

LkrFan
10-13-2011, 05:14 AM
sons considering that at least 55% of NBA players can't read or write, just how the fuck do they plan on doing this?

:lol

LnGrrrR
10-13-2011, 05:56 AM

Son, what do they need to read and write for? Everyone does shit either on youtube (don't need to know how to read or write except the URL) or twitter (where people can't spell anyways)

America is so damn great you don't even have to be literate to be a success anymore god bless

Koolaid_Man
10-13-2011, 06:11 AM

all I know is my man D Fish can read and write...Check out his letter to the players....Derek even uses the .... just like Kool does...:lol

Derek Fisher's letter to players

Posted Oct 4 2011 7:17AM
Text of a letter players' association president Derek Fisher sent to NBA players Monday that was obtained by The Associated Press:

http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/advertisement_160.gif

http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/advertisement_160.gif

Guys,
I write to you from New York where we have had the most recent negotiating sessions, the latest one today. I wanted to keep everyone in the loop on the events of the past few days and since my last update.
Before I update you though, I must comment on a letter that has been brought to my attention and drafted by a handful of agents representing you.

The letter which I personally read this morning is to their players and had planned to release this afternoon/evening. Your agents represent you, there's a loyalty there and I can appreciate that. I'll never question it, the work they do for you, or the decisions you and they make together. The letter however includes misinformation and unsupported theories. As you would imagine, the agents are not aware of my seeing this ahead of its release. As a player myself, I know that each player should read everything we can. My emails, media reports, letters from their representation, to form an opinion on the situation.

Educate yourself, ask questions, do it all. But not all of what you read is fact, you know this, I know this. One issue I need to again be very clear on...nothing can be accepted without a vote by the players. If and when there is a proposal that we feel is in the best interests of us as players, each of you WILL have the opportunity to vote in person. It's in the union bylaws, it's not up for negotiation.

You will have the opportunity to see the full proposal before you agree, you will be able to challenge it, question it, anything you feel appropriate in order to know that this is the best deal for you and your fellow players.
As far as the negotiations, quite a few guys came out for the meeting on Friday. We met as a group first where we updated the players on the league and owner's position which I have briefed you on previously.

Everyone in the room was in agreement, we have been more than fair in our proposals.

We then continued into the meeting with David Stern, Adam Silver and the Labor Negotiations Committee including: Jeanie Buss, Peter Holt, Clay Bennett, Jim Dolan, Larry Miller, Robert Sarver, Bob Vanderweide, Glen Taylor and Mickey Arison.

It was there that we discussed details of proposals and continued to reiterate our position on several key economic and system issues. At the conclusion of the day's meetings, yet again, it was agreed by the players present, we will continue to negotiate in good faith but what we have offered thus far is fair and reasonable.

Talks continued Saturday and again today in smaller groups.
Tomorrow, as you may have read, will be another larger negotiating session. Everyone in the regional meetings, Friday's player meeting, and throughout this process has been in support of the position the NBPA has taken. We go into tomorrow's meeting strong, remaining steadfast on the issues we will not be able to move away from. Anyone saying different is not privy to the meetings and is uninformed.

Keep the questions, comments and suggestions coming. Stand united.
Derek

silverblk mystix
10-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I think the players should have done this years ago...and I would PREFER to see them create their own league...

who in their RIGHT mind...would want to work for Stern and be part of a rigged league...when they don't have to....

Who are the fans going to watch....the best athletes in the world...or Sterns' WWF bullshit?

cheguevara
10-13-2011, 09:33 AM
here's Amare's plan so far:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/168972/TO-DO-LIST.jpg

NRHector
10-13-2011, 09:39 AM
and where are they going to play? in the parks? at your local YMCA?

Giuseppe
10-13-2011, 09:39 AM
who in their RIGHT mind...would want to work for Stern and be part of a rigged league

You & your's have benefited from that "rigged league," Silv. Most of us have. Well, at least the one's who weren't on the shitty end of the "rig."

tee, hee.

lefty
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
:lmao

silverblk mystix
10-13-2011, 09:52 AM
You & your's have benefited from that "rigged league," Silv. Most of us have. Well, at least the one's who weren't on the shitty end of the "rig."

tee, hee.

I've never disputed this...call 'em as I see 'em...

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I think the players should have done this years ago...and I would PREFER to see them create their own league...

who in their RIGHT mind...would want to work for Stern and be part of a rigged league...when they don't have to....

Who are the fans going to watch....the best athletes in the world...or Sterns' WWF bullshit?
Stern might rig the league, but, it doesn't stop you from watching and improving TV ratings. If you think the NBA is rigged and you hate it so much, then don't watch or pay any attention whatsoever.

Leetonidas
10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Not gonna happen. The players don't have the know how, billions of dollars, television/arena contracts, endorsements, etc. They can run around in their little "Melo League" or whatever playing here and there but no one who really enjoys basketball wants to watch a no defense, alley-oop dunkfest for 48 minutes, plus there is no loyalty to the cities they currently play for either if they go play for another city. Not gonna happen, no way no how, eye em oh, tee be eych

Bill_Brasky
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Stern might rig the league, but, it doesn't stop you from watching and improving TV ratings. If you think the NBA is rigged and you hate it so much, then don't watch or pay any attention whatsoever.

This....i never got people who bitch about it being "rigged" but still watch every game. How dumb are you?

baseline bum
10-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I would be funny though to see all the owners eating shit on their arenas (taxpayers too though, sadly).

Trill Clinton
10-13-2011, 04:24 PM
They wanna start their own league?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/bhilde1/George_Takei_LOLs.gif

ElNono
10-13-2011, 04:27 PM

lol you know how to read and write and still buy season tickets to see dem niggas... who's the fool now?

ElNono
10-13-2011, 04:29 PM
BTW, I don't see a player's league happening, but don't discount Agents getting together and organizing something like that. Plus if the numbers the league is handing out happen to be BS, then something like this will show that right away.

Dex
10-13-2011, 04:55 PM
These players are delusional, and Amare proved that he is among them on First Take the other day. People don't care much about seeing just the stars play meaningless games. They want to see THEIR team play; the team that they have followed and supported for years or, in some cases, decades, hoping to see them win a championship.

I couldn't really give a shit if Lebron and Amare want to go play a pickup game in some barn. I might watch it because it's basketball if there wasn't be an alternative, but it's far from what the people want to see.

Stalin
10-13-2011, 05:04 PM
here's Amare's plan so far:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/168972/TO-DO-LIST.jpg

Co sign

Pelicans78
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Only way it could work is to have like a 6-8 team league in big markets like NY, LA, Chi, SF, Philly, Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Also, will need some rich billionaire guys to own the teams, a TV deal (Versus/NBC), and arenas. Basically, you would have stars on these teams and definitely no scrubbs like Fisher.

Ashy Larry
10-13-2011, 05:46 PM
even if they started their own league, once money gets in the mix, that shit would straight up crumble.

DMC
10-13-2011, 05:48 PM
First time Arenas showed up and shot Kobe, it would be over.

mathbzh
10-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Only way it could work is to have like a 6-8 team league in big markets like NY, LA, Chi, SF, Philly, Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Also, will need some rich billionaire guys to own the teams, a TV deal (Versus/NBC), and arenas. Basically, you would have stars on these teams and definitely no scrubbs like Fisher.

It will probably not happen but I think it could work.
If Larry Ellison (he can afford it and has some interest in the NBA) wanted to, he could create a 8 team league like that.

If you list some plausible starters (this is not a ranking, it is just an illustration on how good could be these 8 teams).

PG: Paul, Williams, Rose, Rondo, Nash, Parker, Westbrook, Wall
SG: Kobe, Wade, Ginobili, Martin, Johnson, Ellis, Gordon, Iguodala
SF: Lebron, Durant, Melo, Pierce, Granger, Gay, Marion, Wallace
PF: Dirk, Pau, Amare, Love, Griffin, Randolph, LaMarcus, Garnett
C: Howard, Bynum, Horford, Nene, Noah, Al Jefferson, Duncan, Chandler

Such teams would draw major interest (just out of curiosity people would have a look at these All Star Teams). Playing only in big market the related income would probably be hight.

And I guess some of the richest NBA owner wouldn't mind to get rid of all these shitty small market team asking for more revenue sharing to join the new league.

On the long run you could imagine 16 teams in the biggest market playing 4 games against each team... that's 60 games + playoffs. Only big market games... good teams with the best players.

Now, I am not sure players really want to go that way... less team means less roster spot... more competition for these spots... and probably lower salaries for all players but a couple of superstars (you don't have much leverage to negotiate a max contract if all the teams in the league are already stacked with talent).

FuzzyLumpkins
10-14-2011, 03:45 AM
The players do not have the capital to start a league.

I am not sure what the various teams leasing agreements with their prospective leagues are but I also know that the various cities would also like to get at least some return on their stadium investment.

The problem is the 100s of millions that it would cost to start up new franchises in 20+ cities. They would need to find a financial backer and no one is going to risk that unless there is contractual and absolute certainty that the NBA is no more.