PDA

View Full Version : Unlike Larry, Pop shows class by not complaining about refs

GoSpurs21
06-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Pop and the Spurs show alot of class by not whining about the refs
it was easy to see that refs were favoring the home team, but the Spurs fought through it for almost 3 quarters. hats off to Spurs for not bitching about the refs like the lame ass pistons. Spurs played their worst game while pistons played their best. At least pistons wont have Joey Crawford and the other homer refs in game 4.

Hats off to pistons for being aggressive. but i dont think Timmy and Manu will shot so terribly in game 4 and I dont think Manu will have as many turnovers. I dont think Tim will go 5-15 and Manu will only take 6 shots. Horry really needed to turn up big in game 4.

weebo
06-14-2005, 11:25 PM
I wonder if any Piston will complain about calls now. Oh wait they still do.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Considering that Tim, Bowen, Manu, Nazr, Beno, Horry, Big Dog, etc. didn't bother showing up tonight, he'd look pretty stupid pinning it on the refs.

GoSpurs21
06-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Considering that Tim, Bowen, Manu, Nazr, Beno, Horry, Big Dog, etc. didn't bother showing up tonight, he'd look pretty stupid pinning it on the refs.i am not pinning it on the refs jackass, i am just saying that the Spurs showed class by not complaining about ever call like the fucking pistons and their coach
but it would be nice if manu and tim would have shown up tonight

i still believe do you

N.Y. Johnny
06-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Pop and the Spurs show alot of class by not whining about the refs
it was easy to see that refs were favoring the home team, but the Spurs fought through it for almost 3 quarters. hats off to Spurs for not bitching about the refs like the lame ass pistons. Spurs played their worst game while pistons played their best. At least pistons wont have Joey Crawford and the other homer refs in game 4.

Hats off to pistons for being aggressive. but i dont think Timmy and Manu will shot so terribly in game 4 and I dont think Manu will have as many turnovers. I dont think Tim will go 5-15 and Manu will only take 6 shots. Horry really needed to turn up big in game 4.

Yep, why dwell on it? forget it come back Game 4 put together a solid performance and get a 3-1 strangle hold in the series.

Dre_7
06-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Considering that Tim, Bowen, Manu, Nazr, Beno, Horry, Big Dog, etc. didn't bother showing up tonight, he'd look pretty stupid pinning it on the refs.

Detroit didnt show up for games 1 & 2, yet Larry blamed the Refs. Thats the point GoSpurs21 was making!!

GoSpurs21
06-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Detroit didnt show up for games 1 & 2, yet Larry blamed the Refs. Thats the point GoSpurs21 was making!!thank you Dre for explaining it to the ones who didnt get it

unlike larry and the pistons the Spurs know where the blame lies

nkdlunch
06-15-2005, 09:00 AM
No Spur is gonna complain about the refs. I can guarantee that.

cherylsteele
06-15-2005, 09:09 AM
thank you Dre for explaining it to the ones who didnt get it

unlike larry and the pistons the Spurs know where the blame lies

Can you explain it to me again???:D

MainEvent
06-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Pop certainly is a class act. LB has gone a bit off the deep end this year with his whining. He's basically been pulling the "whoa is me/us" bit since the brawl. Believe me when I tell you it's gotten pretty annoying in Detroit.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Pop certainly is a class act. LB has gone a bit off the deep end this year with his whining. He's basically been pulling the "whoa is me/us" bit since the brawl. Believe me when I tell you it's gotten pretty annoying in Detroit.

Agreed completely. The way I see it, Larry's got a 5 year contract. If he gives us 2 titles in 2 years, I forgive him for the crap he's pulled this year. He's got no intentions of staying in the city, but if he goes back to back, then all is forgiven. But, as for complaining about the refs, I've had enough of it too.

stmfuller
06-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Larry's thing has always been to complain...he's been doing it forever.
That being said, it's time for the NBA to crack down on this crap.

It just seems nowdays that the first rule of basketball is "if you get fouled...look at the ref like you couldn't have done it...then complain".

Players need to be thrown out for pulling shit like that.

On the other side, I think teams need to be more involved with the selection of the officials. It really should be easier to get someone removed from that position than it currently is.

Marklar MM
06-15-2005, 10:18 AM
On the other side, I think teams need to be more involved with the selection of the officials. It really should be easier to get someone removed from that position than it currently is.

The problem there is the amount of money the league puts in to "TRAIN" officials.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Yes and No.

It is getting out of hand, but you have to relate it with emotion. You can't have players being tossed just for being excited and riled up. Even Tim Duncan yelled at a ref last night. You'd have 2 on 2 basketball, because everyone else would be yanked from the game.

stmfuller
06-15-2005, 10:22 AM
The problem there is the amount of money the league puts in to "TRAIN" officials.
You mean "brainwash"

stmfuller
06-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Yes and No.

It is getting out of hand, but you have to relate it with emotion. You can't have players being tossed just for being excited and riled up. Even Tim Duncan yelled at a ref last night. You'd have 2 on 2 basketball, because everyone else would be yanked from the game.
Let's try something:
The next time your boss tells you that you did something wrong...look at them like you can't possibly understand why they would say that, then explain to them that you screwed up because in reality it was their fault for not seeing the whole "picture"...
Then, when they look at you funny and tell you to go back to where you were, you roll your eyes and blow them off like they're stupid.

It's called professionalism.
It's something that the league currently lacks a ton of.

Now, I understand that you're probably worried about loons like Artest running in the crowds and beating up random people...but it's not like Artest's crazy actions are helping the image of the NBA.

spur219
06-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Agreed completely. The way I see it, Larry's got a 5 year contract. If he gives us 2 titles in 2 years, I forgive him for the crap he's pulled this year. He's got no intentions of staying in the city, but if he goes back to back, then all is forgiven. But, as for complaining about the refs, I've had enough of it too.

Damn now this is a good Pistons fan. I have read several of your posts and you are seriously a classy Pistons fan. You are the type of guys that are very welcomed on this board.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Damn now this is a good Pistons fan. I have read several of your posts and you are seriously a classy Pistons fan. You are the type of guys that are very welcomed on this board.

I really do appreciate that. Yes, I'm a Piston fan, but I consider myself more of a basketball fan that happens to live in Detroit, and love my Pistons. The problem with a lot of people are they take things personal, and there's a lot of immaturity that comes along with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pretty immature (my wife will attest for that), but at least I know what belongs on a messageboard and what doesnt. :)

Let's try something:
The next time your boss tells you that you did something wrong...look at them like you can't possibly understand why they would say that, then explain to them that you screwed up because in reality it was their fault for not seeing the whole "picture"...
Then, when they look at you funny and tell you to go back to where you were, you roll your eyes and blow them off like they're stupid.

It's called professionalism.
It's something that the league currently lacks a ton of.

Now, I understand that you're probably worried about loons like Artest running in the crowds and beating up random people...but it's not like Artest's crazy actions are helping the image of the NBA.

I understand what you're saying, but I have to disagree. A lot of people will use that arguement in sports. "Imagine if you did this at YOUR job". It's hard to compare a major sports league job with a job at the office like mine or yours. Other than the fact that they work 82-110 days a year for more money than I'll make in my entire life, they are in the spotlight forever. The expectation of 'role model' is much greater. I believe that sports athletes are held in a different light.

To exaggerate to get the point across, my boss also won't let me wear shorts to work and have my wife in the stands (or in the next cubicle over) with me.

I see your point, but your job and mine isn't so emotionally involved. You and I don't have millions of people watch us do our jobs on TV. NBA players BECOME their game, because there are so many people counting on them to do well. It's big money, but when those 5 guys are on the court, they are giving blood, sweat and tears (literally!) to win a game. Yes, it's a job.. but they wouldn't have made it to the NBA if it wasn't about the PASSION.

So yes, I think they play by different rules than your typical job. I work in advertising, so the next time I make a big sale, I'm going to run up to my co-worker, and chest bump him. Then, if my department wins the sales contest, I'm dumping Gatorade on my boss.

Actually, that last part doesn't sound like a bad idea.

mookie2001
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
it never fucking fails complaining about the refs always works
ALWAYS WORKS in at least 1 game

spur219
06-15-2005, 11:54 AM
That is what I always say. I love the Spurs and am a very big Spurs fan but better put it as I am also a fan of the game of basketball. You have to respect the game then on both ends. We have 2 good teams battling out and while I do hope the Spurs win it, they are going to have to play hard and grind it out.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 12:03 PM
That is what I always say. I love the Spurs and am a very big Spurs fan but better put it as I am also a fan of the game of basketball. You have to respect the game then on both ends. We have 2 good teams battling out and while I do hope the Spurs win it, they are going to have to play hard and grind it out.

I was just telling my wife last night that I'm irritated that I DON'T hate the Spurs. Last year we had the Lakers. I freaking hate the Lakers. I'd rather have a million razorblades thrown at me and then dipped in a pool of salt than to see them succeed. It was easy to tear them up.

The Spurs are such an amazing team though. They've been playing the "Right Way", the same way the Pistons play, but they've been doing it longer. Duncan in my opinion is the league MVP, Manu's been playing out of his mind, and although I have to admit that I can't stand Tony Parker, but maybe that may be my cold blooded American anti-Frenchie thing going on. I'm not sure on that ;)

If we end up losing this series to the Spurs, I'll concede that it was a loss to the better team. I couldn't have done that last year.

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Everything about Detroit is classless, their coach, their players, and especially their fans.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Everything about Detroit is classless, their coach, their players, and especially their fans.

Um... I know you are, but what am I?

/sigh

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Um... I know you are, but what am I?

/sigh
Hey man, our fans don't throw beer cups, pop corn, chairs, at players...

easjer
06-15-2005, 12:24 PM

Oh come on Alvarez. That's untrue. Dumars is a great guy, and we have him to thank for getting Duncan back to SA after his injury. That quick, thoughtful reaction probably helped shave a couple days off his recovery time. The Pistons and Larry Brown (who I've lost nearly all respect for) did a very classy thing when Reggie Miller retired, and they deserve props for that.

Most of Detriot's fans are good, honest, hardworking people who love good D and root their team on, just like our fans, like us.

Back off.

mookie2001
06-15-2005, 12:25 PM
the thing about pistons fans is they think no matter who theyre playing theyll just magically win, regardless of opponent well not now you bastards, i guess thats just from playing in the leastern confrence

wildbill2u
06-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey man, our fans don't throw beer cups, pop corn, chairs, at players...

Since when? we damn sure used to--including the famous guacomole shower on Larry Brown. :elephant

Now, whenever I go to a game, my seats are so far up in the stands I can't see what the fans do--but I doubt if they've changed--they're just not close to the action any more because the seats are so expensive. :pctoss

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh come on Alvarez. That's untrue. Dumars is a great guy, and we have him to thank for getting Duncan back to SA after his injury. That quick, thoughtful reaction probably helped shave a couple days off his recovery time. The Pistons and Larry Brown (who I've lost nearly all respect for) did a very classy thing when Reggie Miller retired, and they deserve props for that.

Most of Detriot's fans are good, honest, hardworking people who love good D and root their team on, just like our fans, like us.

Back off.

A quality poster. Thanks for the support.

That being said, I've got my two trolls working full time to dog me. Mike and Ike. Mookie and Alverez. I can handle these two. If they act up, I just won't give them their allowance today.

Sure, the 100 or so fans got out of control when Artest CLIMBED into the stands. Chairs were thrown, which sure.. was embarassing.

What would you have done, Mike? What about you, Ike?

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2005, 12:30 PM
What would you have done, Mike? What about you, Ike?
I would have at least shown some class, and have pissed on his face.

Lonestar
06-15-2005, 12:31 PM
I too felt that Pop was very gracious in defeat, in fact I feel that he was almost too gracious all night long.

Why weren't the Spurs pushing the ball up the floor like they had been? Why were they playing in a half court set and giving Detroit so much time to set up their defense? Why wasn't Pop out of his chair at all in the 4th waving his hands and yelling push it as he has been doing since the Seattle series? Why did the team appear to concede the game halfway through the 3rd? Why wasn't Pop chewing some asses and trying to motivate his folks? I don't know the answers to these questions but I sure didn't feel like the Spurs even attempted to adjust during this game. Maybe some of you can tell me why.

jochhejaam
06-15-2005, 12:36 PM
he
it was easy to see that refs were favoring the home team, but the Spurs fought through it for almost 3 quarters.

You're not blaming it on the refs? Of course you are, don't be silly. :lol

desflood
06-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Waydowntown, just ignore Alvarez6, he's about 16 years old. Chalk it up to the immaturity and big talk of youth.

jochhejaam
06-15-2005, 12:49 PM

And you're one of the few classless "things" I've experienced on this message board. :lol

You may consider yourself a fan of the Spurs but you're not, regardless of how emphatically you say you are and regardless of how many childish profanities you use in responding to this post. :lol :elephant :lol

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2005, 12:50 PM
And you're one of the few classless "things" I've experienced on this message board. :lol

You may consider yourself a fan of the Spurs but you're not, regardless of how empatically you say you are and regardless of how many childish profanities you use in responding to this post. :lol :elephant :lol
You can't judge class on fucking spurs board, full of spurs fans...I'll say whatever the fuck I want with my fellow spurs fans. Fuck off.

There's some class for you.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-15-2005, 12:55 PM

I'm sorry but you can't post something this stupid and claim to be acting with class. If you're gonna talk immature shit like this please don't refer to "your fellow spurs fans" because I'd like to think that you're standing in a pretty small crowd when anyone on this board does something as pointlessly crude as what you've had to say in this thread.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 12:56 PM

And he would have knocked you cold.

So many people think they're so tough, yet when confronted, hide in a corner. Don't be that guy. Artest may have been Ben's bitch that night, but he could have pounded a hole through you or me. These are NBA players. Some how I don't think you were going to pull out both your inches and pee-pee on him.

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2005, 12:59 PM
And he would have knocked you cold.

So many people think they're so tough, yet when confronted, hide in a corner. Don't be that guy. Artest may have been Ben's bitch that night, but he could have pounded a hole through you or me. These are NBA players. Some how I don't think you were going to pull out both your inches and pee-pee on him.
Actually I wouldn't have done what I said, I don't trust fags around my genitals.

Artest is a bitch. I'll take him.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Actually I wouldn't have done what I said, I don't trust fags around my genitals.

Artest is a bitch. I'll take him.

Alvarez, please simmer down.

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 01:03 PM
I guess the beer makes them more brave. I dont know about anyone else but these guys are atheletes twice the size of most of us and could knock out some peeps. That one guy got lit up by Stephen Jackson (which I though he deserved) for trying to step onto the court with the players.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I guess the beer makes them more brave. I dont know about anyone else but these guys are atheletes twice the size of most of us and could knock out some peeps. That one guy got lit up by Stephen Jackson (which I though he deserved) for trying to step onto the court with the players.

100% agreed. That was O'Neal, though, if you're talking about that fat fan that wanted a piece of O'Neal, and he had that running punch that knocked the dude out cold.

Jackson was still in the stands with Artest. They BOTH should have gotten full year bans for going into the stands, and O'Neal shouldn't have gotten anything. He stayed on the court. The second the fan comes onto the court, he's fair game.

And now that I know Alvarez is 16, you just took my fun away. Now I feel bad for taking advantage of the immaturity. Dang you.

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
And now that I know Alvarez is 16, you just took my fun away. Now I feel bad for taking advantage of the immaturity. Dang you.
That's right, I'm allowed to act like this.

SpursWoman
06-15-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry but you can't post something this stupid and claim to be acting with class. If you're gonna talk immature shit like this please don't refer to "your fellow spurs fans" because I'd like to think that you're standing in a pretty small crowd when anyone on this board does something as pointlessly crude as what you've had to say in this thread.

Thank you. I sure as hell wouldn't claim that one. :fro

desflood
06-15-2005, 01:12 PM
100% agreed. That was O'Neal, though, if you're talking about that fat fan that wanted a piece of O'Neal, and he had that running punch that knocked the dude out cold.

Jackson was still in the stands with Artest. They BOTH should have gotten full year bans for going into the stands, and O'Neal shouldn't have gotten anything. He stayed on the court. The second the fan comes onto the court, he's fair game.

Sorry to spoil your fun :p

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Sorry to spoil your fun :p

LOL, that's ok. Plenty more where he came from.
:elephant

sanman53
06-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I was actually going for the whole Spurs-Pistons Finals, then I started watching the Heat-Pistons series. Everytime the whistle was blown, LB would jump off the bench, each player would start complaining and it actually looked like they were crying. I actually thought the Pistons had more class than that. Then, as I watched the first two games of the Finals, everytime the whistle was blown, LB off the bench, the players would start weeping, and the same old stuff even in Game 3! When I heard the remarks made by LB about the ref. stat (1-11 with one ref, or whatever the stat was), I was really saddened to hear that. Is that really the heart of a champion? When the Spurs lost last night, there was no 1-172 record with one referee, there was no jumping up and down after every whistle, but they showed class and they showed what the heart of a champion TRULY is! Way to go Spurs!

GO SPURS GO!

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 03:16 PM
I was actually going for the whole Spurs-Pistons Finals, then I started watching the Heat-Pistons series. Everytime the whistle was blown, LB would jump off the bench, each player would start complaining and it actually looked like they were crying. I actually thought the Pistons had more class than that. Then, as I watched the first two games of the Finals, everytime the whistle was blown, LB off the bench, the players would start weeping, and the same old stuff even in Game 3! When I heard the remarks made by LB about the ref. stat (1-11 with one ref, or whatever the stat was), I was really saddened to hear that. Is that really the heart of a champion? When the Spurs lost last night, there was no 1-172 record with one referee, there was no jumping up and down after every whistle, but they showed class and they showed what the heart of a champion TRULY is! Way to go Spurs!

GO SPURS GO!

I can't really argue with that. The sane Piston fans are already on record for saying we're sick of this. Larry Brown knows his stuff, but he's letting things getting the collar like he's never done before. The whining is getting contagious. There were many times last night where I was like "Goddamn it Ben! It was a foul, stop your bitching!". I can't deny that.

That being said, whatever it takes to win. The problem is, we've seen them lose their composure multiple times this post-season, which was never the mantra of this team.

Meads375
06-15-2005, 04:45 PM
I have to agree with Larry Brown's lack of class. I do believe the Heat - Pistons series was slightly lop-sided in the calls, there is nothing that can be done about that. Referees will have their own bias on teams based on their personal experience with them, argueing will not help.

Larry Brown was a great coach. He can teach a team a lot. However, his talent appears to end after the teaching phase. A coach needs to be emotionally stable enough to be passionate about the game, but hold retain himself from the foolish argueing. No team gets all the calls their way, its a fact. Personally, I'm almost happy to hear that Larry Brown may be going elsewhere.

-Mike

boutons
06-15-2005, 05:35 PM
After games 1 and 2, Larry in the post-game interview sounded like depressed drunk in dingy a bar at 3AM. I like him less and less, esp with the IND affair, no matter what he's worth as a coach.

mookie2001
06-15-2005, 08:23 PM
bitching PUBLICLY about the refs is pretty lowclass
the lame thing is it always works
ALWAYS

ForestBrain
06-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Oh, but it's okay for the Spurs to get all of the calls in game 1 and 2? And not only that, the Pistons didn't get special treatment last night, if anything, it was still one-sided towards the Spurs.
:fro

mookie2001
06-15-2005, 08:28 PM
whatever the whole SA team had two fouls in the first
thats not the issue, the issue is larry brown acting like a little bitch, he's been a coach a longass time, he knows that when you bitch PUBLICLY it always works, hes a fucking piece of shit, he wins 1 title and all of a sudden he's the greatest coach of all time? last year he was widely know for choking and never winning shit in the NBA

Vashner
06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
The thing is to keep your pose and positive outlook...

I am sure Pop has Vented in private over refs while drinking a cold beverage..

Larry Brown is a scholar that rebuilds stuff... part of the Spurs professionalism comes
from the influence Larry had. He helped make us into a winning attitude franchise.

As for Brown talking about refs.. that's not a lack of class.. that's just him loosing his cool. I don't think he vents as much as Pop and the fight this year only makes it worse.

stmfuller
06-15-2005, 10:18 PM
the issue is larry brown...he's been a coach a longass time, he knows that when you bitch PUBLICLY it always works...I think you all have an answer as to why it happens...
People only complain because they know it works.
I doubt Larry would complain as much if it got him nowhere...
He has afterall been coaching for a "longass time".

mookie2001
06-15-2005, 10:25 PM
he's a bitch
he knows he cant win without help, you never see pop bitching, actually nate mcmillan and george karl bitched like bitches too, mike diantonio showed some balls though
youll never see pop doing that
period