PDA

View Full Version : Highest Basketball IQ? Lowest?

DMC
10-17-2011, 07:34 PM
List the top 10 highest BB IQ players in the league, then list the lowest 10. I am talking about people who actually play, since no one knows about those bench warmers too much.

Mine in no particular order:

1. Manu
2. Kobe
3. Tim
4. Nash
5. Kidd
6. Wade
7. Billups
8. Pau
9. Dirk
10. CP3

Lowest:

1. JR Smith
2. Josh Smith
3. Amare
4. Melo
5. Monta Ellis
6. Gilbert Arenas
7. Vince Carter
8. Nate Robinson
9. Jamal Crawford
10. Lebron James

Some might argue that last one, but anyone who continually shoots from 30 feet when he's got Wade and Bosh on the floor doesn't have a great understanding of how to win.

I think the Argentinians have an incredibly high basketball IQ so some names could change on the top 10 easily.

Greg Oden
10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Highest - Dirk

Lowest - manu

Amarelooms
10-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Highest - Dirk

Lowest - manu

:elephant

ElNono
10-17-2011, 08:06 PM
NQtRXQpZHHg

DMC
10-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I considered Lamar, but you don't give the 6th man that distinction.

Giuseppe
10-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Perhaps Manu three years ago, but, what good does it do for him to think clearly now when his body shockingly betrays him the last two playoffs sessions.

He's all symbolism now. Nary a trace of substance.

m>s
10-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Highest - Dirk

Lowest - manu
sorry but since the syndicated chink giant Yao has retired from NBA, Oden is det one with the lowest bball IQ of all NBA players speaking of right now. if you play as a guard you must have higher IQ then the bigs, so any list that picks a guard over centers is just bullshit. you got the big body & all talents need yet you played like an ass on the court, i think theres no other explanation for that except the absence of intellect imho

ElNono
10-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Oden is still an NBA player?

lefty
10-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Oden is still an NBA player?

According to the NBA archives, yes

LkrFan
10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
NQtRXQpZHHg

I'm :lmao now, but when that shit happened I was like :wtf

LnGrrrR
10-17-2011, 09:40 PM
This might be the homer in me, but I'd put Rondo somewhere in the top 10. He sees the court well, usually has a good sense for how much time is left, etc etc.

BRHornet45
10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
lol Manu above Paul

Koolaid_Man
10-17-2011, 09:44 PM
lol Manu above Paul

I agree with you...Manu is nothing more than an out of control version of D-Wade

BRHornet45
10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
son what a blatantly racist list too. you put 6 WHITE GUYS in the highest IQ list (Manu, Duncan, Nash, Kidd, Pau, Dirk) and nothing but black guys in the lowest IQ list.

LkrFan
10-17-2011, 10:13 PM
son what a blatantly racist list too. you put 6 WHITE GUYS in the highest IQ list (Manu, Duncan, Nash, Kidd, Pau, Dirk) and nothing but black guys in the lowest IQ list.

:lmao

ALVAREZ6
10-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Russell Westbrook should be on everyone's lowest list...

ElNono
10-17-2011, 10:32 PM
And why is this even important. :cry :cry :cry

ALVAREZ6
10-17-2011, 10:39 PM

average white man smarter than average black man

dets why

ElNono
10-17-2011, 11:24 PM

Son, why are you pulling a Creepn?

DMC
10-17-2011, 11:28 PM
lol Manu above Paul
"Mine in no particular order"

I know the water is still draining from your fat head, but try to read first, post second. Tell your ass friend Kool to do the same the next time you two share a Kool Filter King post coitus.

lefty
10-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Lowest: McGee

DMC
10-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Some are confusing ability with IQ. Post players that are decent have a lot to think about. They work the pick and roll, they have to provide weak side help and be the catalyst for the offense. The often trail the offensive play because they are allowed into the paint and they can get a quick score.

Also, players who know what's going on in the game and know what to do without being told, that's those in the 1st group. Players who lose their head, play for themselves and do not get any better as the years go on, that's the second group. It's hard putting Melo there, he's got such potential, but he's a basket case when it comes to team ball. That's why Denver did so much better without him.

Also, I didn't give any consideration to color of skin. I never do. It is what it is.

Stalin
10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
crackers need to be smarter to overcome their shitty athletisism, tbh

DMC
10-18-2011, 12:38 AM
crackers need to be smarter to overcome their shitty athletisism, tbh
Need's never had anything to do with IQ.

Baron Davιs
10-18-2011, 01:29 AM
http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2009/10/khloe-kardashian-lamar-odom-plug-philippe-restaurant.jpg

Oh, wait.

Axe Murderer
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
And why is this even important. Has a high IQ gotten Nash a title? Manu? Are you serious? Did a high IQ stop his wild ass from going overseas to play for his 3rd world country when he should of been resting. Rose aint on that list but id take him over MVP Nash any day of the week.

son IQ is the only thing that's important. it was always fun being the rich white high school basketball team and playing South Spookville High. Those were my favorite games because they'd always come at you with their ######ish double teams and were easy as hell to beat. once you get them frustrated I'd just spit in their face, remind them who owned their ancestors, and have them throw a nigfit while being ejected. good times:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Whether or not Nash has a high bball IQ he doesn't play with one

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Also, putting Chauncey Billups on the smartest player list is classic Spurfan jerking the Pistons franchise off. Billups jacks up just as many ill advised 30 footers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock as anyone else.

Giuseppe
10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Good morning, DoK.

tee, hee.

DMC
10-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Also, putting Chauncey Billups on the smartest player list is classic Spurfan jerking the Pistons franchise off. Billups jacks up just as many ill advised 30 footers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock as anyone else.
Billups led a team to the ring, beating probably the most absurdly assembled sham of all time and cementing Kobe forever in the miniature goat status. He's going to get my respect for that.

http://thewondrous.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Pygmy-Goats.jpg

Kobe

http://rlv.zcache.com/rocky_mountain_goat_large_male_poster-p228510779025916608tdcp_400.jpg

Michael

Veterinarian.
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
son IQ is the only thing that's important. it was always fun being the rich white high school basketball team and playing South Spookville High. Those were my favorite games because they'd always come at you with their ######ish double teams and were easy as hell to beat. once you get them frustrated I'd just spit in their face, remind them who owned their ancestors, and have them throw a nigfit while being ejected. good times:lol

:lmao :lmao :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Billups led a team to the ring, beating probably the most absurdly assembled sham of all time and cementing Kobe forever in the miniature goat status. He's going to get my respect for that.

http://thewondrous.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Pygmy-Goats.jpg

Kobe

http://rlv.zcache.com/rocky_mountain_goat_large_male_poster-p228510779025916608tdcp_400.jpg

Michael

It's remarkable how a 5 game series against atrocious pick and roll defense (:lol Medvedenko) erases a career of retarded shot selection and decision making from Billups in the eyes of Spurs fans.

DMC
10-18-2011, 05:04 PM
It's remarkable how a 5 game series against atrocious pick and roll defense (:lol Medvedenko) erases a career of retarded shot selection and decision making from Billups in the eyes of Spurs fans.
If your team ever got to the show, you might understand how I feel. :toast

It's the same feeling that erases years of Dallas choking in big moments. The ring can even make Steve Nash seem like a decent defender.

Don't let your irrational hate of the PG poison your mind.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 05:05 PM
If your team ever got to the show, you might understand how I feel. :toast
It's been to the show twice, but that's another classic Spurfan argument after getting backed into a corner :lol

lol Billups shooting 38% in that massively overrated 2004 playoff run

DMC
10-18-2011, 05:09 PM
It's been to the show twice, but that's another classic Spurfan argument after getting backed into a corner :lol

lol Billups shooting 38% in that massively overrated 2004 playoff run

Billups won a ring that year. It doesn't matter what percentage he shot.

Are you so basketball retarded that you think shooting percentage tells the story?

I highly doubt you are old enough to have watched the older Suns, ergo YOUR team hasn't been.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 05:11 PM
So winning a ring means he has a high bball IQ?

Shooting percentage says a lot about basketball IQ. Someone with a high bball IQ wouldn't have the retarded shot selection Billups has.

FkLA
10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Billups has some of the best range in the league, I dont think his long shots are the same as JR Smith jacking up 30 ft shots. Theyre usually controlled pull-ups where he was good looks, he rarely ever takes wild erratic shots imo.

Findog
10-18-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm not so sure about Vince Carter belonging on a list of dumbest players. His problem is he just doesn't care.

DMC
10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
So winning a ring means he has a high bball IQ?

Not necessarily, but I know you like to build strawmen because you cannot attack my points successfully.

The fact that he was able to get it done regardless of poor shooting says a lot. There was no point in the series when he wasn't a factor.

Regardless, IQ in basketball doesn't have anything to do with his shooting or points. It has a lot to do with how he sees the court and understands the game as it develops.

Just say you don't understand the term "basketball IQ" and leave it at that.

Shooting percentage says a lot about basketball IQ. Someone with a high bball IQ wouldn't have the retarded shot selection Billups has.

So someone with a high shooting percentage has a high basketball IQ?

Shaq has a high basketball IQ?

DMC
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm not so sure about Vince Carter belonging on a list of dumbest players. His problem is he just doesn't care.

Don't confuse dumb with low basketball IQ.

Findog
10-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I know, I was just too lazy to type out "low basketball IQ."

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Not necessarily, but I know you like to build strawmen because you cannot attack my points successfully.
If staying on point mattered at all to you the fact the Suns are ringless wouldn't have randomly been brought up.

The fact that he was able to get it done regardless of poor shooting says a lot. There was no point in the series when he wasn't a factor.
That was one 5 game series. There were plenty of games (regular season and playoffs) in 2004 where Billups was a liability.

Regardless, IQ in basketball doesn't have anything to do with his shooting or points.
:lol so good shot selection has nothing to do with bball IQ?

It has a lot to do with how he sees the court and understands the game as it develops.
Chucking up contested 30 footers with 20 seconds left on the shot clock isn't understanding the game as it develops at all.

So someone with a high shooting percentage has a high basketball IQ?
And I'm the one creating strawman arguments? I said Chauncey Billups' horrid shot selection isn't something you'd find in a player with a high bball IQ.

DMC
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I know, I was just too lazy to type out "low basketball IQ."
There are plenty who could take his place on that list.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
he rarely ever takes wild erratic shots imo.
Then you're watching with the Pistons knob slobbing glasses. I've seen countless times during crucial playoff games where Billups pulls up from 30 feet to take a contested 3 with 20+ seconds left on the shot clock.

Giuseppe
10-18-2011, 06:39 PM
^Hi, honeybun.

Jose Canseco
10-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Billups is greatly overrated and over his career he has had the tendency to take ill advised three pointers with a lot of time on the shotclock. But in general, he's got a solid basketball IQ. One of the highest? Nah. I wouldn't go that far. But his sometimes ill advised shot selection isn't the only defining factor to his IQ.

To the point of some of his three pointers, most of the time you have to consider the situation. Many of those ill advised three pointers come when he's trying to deal a knockout blow or shift momentum. He might have just hit 2 three pointers that were good shot selections, and then he'll take a heat check three pointer with 20 seconds left in the shotclock that looks bad if you didn't know he just hit 2. Or the team just made a big run and if he hits a three, they go up 10 points and demoralize the other team. I also have heard him specifically say he will sometimes take that delayed transition three pointer with a lot of time on the shotclock because he'll get a wide open look because the defense is backpedaling. It's at least something to consider.

But he's definitely overrated when it comes to a lot of things, basketball IQ included.

DMC
10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Billups is greatly overrated and over his career he has had the tendency to take ill advised three pointers with a lot of time on the shotclock. But in general, he's got a solid basketball IQ. One of the highest? Nah. I wouldn't go that far. But his sometimes ill advised shot selection isn't the only defining factor to his IQ.

To the point of some of his three pointers, most of the time you have to consider the situation. Many of those ill advised three pointers come when he's trying to deal a knockout blow or shift momentum. He might have just hit 2 three pointers that were good shot selections, and then he'll take a heat check three pointer with 20 seconds left in the shotclock that looks bad if you didn't know he just hit 2. Or the team just made a big run and if he hits a three, they go up 10 points and demoralize the other team. I also have heard him specifically say he will sometimes take that delayed transition three pointer with a lot of time on the shotclock because he'll get a wide open look because the defense is backpedaling. It's at least something to consider.

But he's definitely overrated when it comes to a lot of things, basketball IQ included.
So who would you put there in the place of Billups?

I considered Rip Hamilton. *DoK explosion in 3....2...1....

DMC
10-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Then you're watching with the Pistons knob slobbing glasses. I've seen countless times during crucial playoff games where Billups pulls up from 30 feet to take a contested 3 with 20+ seconds left on the shot clock.
So shooting early in the clock = low IQ?

Cross out Nash then.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 06:55 PM
So shooting early in the clock = low IQ?

Cross out Nash then.

Whether or not Nash has a high bball IQ he doesn't play with one

Couldn't agree more :tu

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
And it's not just early shots with Nash. It's forced outlet passes, unnecessarily pushing the tempo, etc. while he has an equally low IQ on defense.

Axe Murderer
10-18-2011, 07:14 PM
tbh DoK i think having a high IQ is a must if you're a prominent figure on an NBA championship team.

Even Rodman had a high basketball IQ. Sure he was dumb as a rock off the court, but he was smart enough to know that quitting in the 95 playoffs would result in him getting traded away from being chased by a bible, to playing with the GOAT

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-18-2011, 07:26 PM
tbh DoK i think having a high IQ is a must if you're a prominent figure on an NBA championship team.

http://watchmojo.com/sports/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/antoine-walker.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0801/nba.players.need.change.scenery/images/williams.jpg

m>s
10-18-2011, 07:45 PM
this. another example DMC might be dumb as fuck but i believe DMC is a smart person (at least by chinks standard he is), therefore dumbness doesn't necessarily have anything to do with low IQ imho

Jose Canseco
10-18-2011, 08:01 PM
So who would you put there in the place of Billups?

I considered Rip Hamilton. *DoK explosion in 3....2...1....

I don't know. Good question. And I didn't even really analyze your list much. Thing is most players, even ones with high basketball IQs, will make their share of bonehead mistakes that anyone can use to refute their IQ. Someone like Lamar Odom to me isn't that dumb. I think he's got a solid basketball IQ. But some of his more memorable mistakes are epically stupid, like that youtube clip. A guy on those Pistons team who was underrated in terms of basketball IQ was Rasheed Wallace. He was really smart on the court, but he'd also make some pretty historically poor plays, generally related to his temper.

I think Kirk Hinrich is a really smart player. Maybe guys like Andre Miller or Paul Pierce could be considered. I'm not sure.

pass1st
10-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Kidd (Makes very good use of his limited abilities, excellent court vision)
CP3 (Extremely good court vision and playmaking)
Fisher (Probably the best playmaker during crunch, knows triangle in & out)
Duncan/Kobe (Duncan adapts well, takes smart shots, does things right)
Kobe/Duncan (Kobe thinks fast, excellent court vision if he decides to use it)
------
Westbrook (Makes stupid decisions)
Lebron (Cannot run plays but tries to, makes pretty dumb decisions in crunch)
Brown (Kwame, Shannon and Mike) [No explanation needed]
J.R Smith (lol)
Artest (Meds, alcohol, w/e else he does probably erased whatever he knows about basketball)

DMC
10-19-2011, 12:05 AM
this. another example DMC might be dumb as fuck but i believe DMC is a smart person (at least by chinks standard he is), therefore dumbness doesn't necessarily have anything to do with low IQ imho
You have a hard on for me ever since I told you that you were the most ignored poster on this site.