PDA

View Full Version : Yup, another GOP debate tonight on CNN.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I'll be watching to see if Perry's can do the Texas two-step around the issues and get himself back in the game. Will Cain stick to his "9, 9, 9" answer for every question and explain his killing electrifying border fence? Will Romney keep his steady attack on Obama and be above the far right rhetoric coming from others? Will this be Bachman's last non blinking debate? Will Santorum scream for more air time? Will Paul just stand there and get the scraps?
The best candidate, Huntsman, won't even be there. What a shame.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm sure Anderson Cooper will want to fully explore their view on gay rights.

DarrinS
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Another boring debate, to be followed this Saturday by another unfunny SNL skit.

coyotes_geek
10-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Another boring debate, to be followed this Saturday by another unfunny SNL skit.

Truth.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm sure Anderson Cooper will want to fully explore their view on gay rights.

If they are true conservatives they will all want gays to burn in hell.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 04:48 PM

I think they've been hilarious. If only Sarah was running. :lmao

fraga
10-18-2011, 04:55 PM
InOqetuRf-4

DarrinS
10-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I think they've been hilarious. If only Sarah was running. :lmao

Everyone has their own opinion of what is funny. Personally, I much preferred the cast back in the early to mid-90's. MUCH better cast and writing IMHO.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2011, 05:05 PM
If they are true conservatives they will all want gays to burn in hell.

And another subtle joke that JoeChalupa misses.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
And another subtle joke that JoeChalupa misses.

Oh, I didn't miss it, I just ignored it.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Everyone has their own opinion of what is funny. Personally, I much preferred the cast back in the early to mid-90's. MUCH better cast and writing IMHO.

Tina Fey rocks! But the old time Not Ready for PrimeTime players were and always will be the best SNL ever had.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Funny, and I much preferred the writing and original cast from the 70's...Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Garrett Morris, Jane Curtin, John Belushi, Gilda Radner...guess its an age thing...

baseline bum
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Funny, and I much preferred the writing and original cast from the 70's...Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Garrett Morris, Jane Curtin, John Belushi, Gilda Radner...guess its an age thing...

Nah, that was easily the most talented cast they had overall, though Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy were the two funniest people ever on the show.

Bender
10-18-2011, 06:04 PM
me too.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Nah, that was easily the most talented cast they had overall, though Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy were the two funniest people ever on the show.

Sorry, In Living Color totally kicked SNL's ass during that era until the Fox censors pissed off the Wayans brothers.

baseline bum
10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Sorry, In Living Color totally kicked SNL's ass during that era until the Fox censors pissed off the Wayans brothers.

Man it was sad after everyone left and the show was just Marlon and Kim.

GHFxcVJV-ac

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Perry hits Romney from the start. A true conservative he is he says.

fraga
10-18-2011, 07:15 PM
And hilarity ensues...

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Come on Perry my brother!!

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Ron Paul's jackets are too big for him.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Fruit salad on the 999's.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Newt with a good one liner.

fraga
10-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Perry's loving not getting shit on...they've all turned their attention to the Pizza Man...

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Ronald Reagan. 8:24

clambake
10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
lovin this tax talk. they're gonna continue to take care of me.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:27 PM
This is Perry's best performance thus far but as bad he has been..that ain't hard to do.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Rick Santorum on the attack! First he calls Cain plan "regressive." Now he assails ObamaRomneycare.

clambake
10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
omg perry is a cheesy huckster.

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Did Perry just diss the Tea Party?

fraga
10-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Perry looks like he's waivering...barely treading water...he may drop even further on the poles...

JoeChalupa
10-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Wayne Newton in da house!!

clambake
10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
:lmao dear texas,

please keep your perry in austin.

Nbadan
10-18-2011, 08:07 PM
:lol Bubba Perry

8Q5GwADQMzw

4>0rings
10-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Cult follower and racist democratic redneck were about to throw down on stage lol.

Is Michelle Bachman trying to start a slogan or something? Everything she says has some slogan in it, then she just smiles and stares at the camera.

Winehole23
10-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Rick Santorum on the attack! First he calls Cain plan "regressive." Now he assails ObamaRomneycare.Ob-omneycare?

Jacob1983
10-18-2011, 09:53 PM
The whole thing is a joke. Big business and big government douche bags Perry and Romney say they are conservatives yet Ron Paul is the most conservative one out of the bunch. Conservatives are not suppose to be about big government and big business.

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Ron Paul actually did well tonight even if he didn't get a lot of applause lines from the crowd. I love that he is in there adding width to the debate and saying shit the rest of them are afraid to say.

DMX7
10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Cult follower and racist democratic redneck were about to throw down on stage lol.

Is Michelle Bachman trying to start a slogan or something? Everything she says has some slogan in it, then she just smiles and stares at the camera.

She comes across as what she is - an absolute dunce.

boutons_deux
10-19-2011, 12:04 AM
“I’ll bump plans with you brother.” (Perry telling Cain he’ll be releasing his own tax plan this week)

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/10/the-surprise-winners-and-losers-of-this-boxing-match-of-a-debate/

Jimmy Ricky really called The Very Black Man "bruvva"?

DMX7
10-19-2011, 12:18 AM
lol defunding the United Nations

boutons_deux
10-19-2011, 05:08 AM
LOSER:

HERMAN CAIN

He would probably sound decisive and authoritative ordering a pizza over the phone, but when his cohorts, led by Santorum, ganged up on his signature tax plan, 9-9-9, he buckled. He didn’t have a persuasive response. He also revealed that his knowledge of foreign policy is at best tomato-sauce deep.

MOST BIZARRE PIVOTS

RICK PERRY

1. Moderator Anderson Cooper asks him about the high number of uninsured children in Texas and he turns it into a charge that Romney hired illegal aliens to do his yard work, ignoring the question.

2. Cooper asks him about a nuclear-waste storage site at Yucca Mountain and the governor pivots to the 10th Amendment.

3. In response to a question about foreign aid — which, in reality, is a miniscule portion of the federal budget — he brought back an old saw from the 1950s: “I think it’s time to have a very real discussion about de-funding the United Nations. . . . Why are we funding that organization?”

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/10/the-surprise-winners-and-losers-of-this-boxing-match-of-a-debate/

Xevious
10-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I know it's the same shit every 4 years, but I can't believe this is the most impressive group the Republicans can field.

Winehole23
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
2fDm5L0DnQE

Mr. Peanut Butter smile.

Agloco
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Some people liked Perrys aggressive posture. Personally, I think he came off as more of a douche with a hint of desperation at his back. He kept changing up the questions, and at one point kept interrupting Romney and straight up refused to answer one of ACs questions.

Cain seemed to not have the insightful explanations he's going to need about his pizza deal. I think he's also very short in the foreign relations department.

Romney got the best of Perry in their exchanges IMO. But he seems to be content with "playing not to lose". I guess that's the way to do it with this field of candidates. His team seems to know that the others will simply talk themselves out of the race.

Winehole23
10-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Perry almost talked himself out of it. Smart thing might've been to quit now, rather than burn up everybody's dough.

otoh, recent history has shown that routine verbal infelicities and even occasional heinous mashups, do not constitute insuperable obstacles to presidency in the USA. On the contrary, they might even help.

101A
10-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I know it's the same shit every 4 years, but I can't believe this is the most impressive group the Republicans can field.

I have been voting in presidential elections since 1988, and am singularly unimpressed with the character, breadth and depth of the candidates I have had the choice of voting for. It is a sad testimony to our republic, which does contain many great minds and characters who have accomplished great things, that those that seek, or are considered for, the highest, most powerful office in the land are almost never those same people.

Winehole23
10-19-2011, 09:14 AM
You gotta want the power really bad. Guy who doesn't want the job or understand what craving power makes men and women do, doesn't belong there.

boutons_deux
10-19-2011, 09:23 AM
It doesn't really matter how shitty the candidates are.

A president really doesn't have that much power to shake things up, without controlling the Senate (takes a block of 60 to override the constitional, constipating self-imposed rule) and House.

Even with Exec and both Houses controlled by one party, the UCA and financial sector always get what they want, and don't get want the don't want.

And the Repugs in the last couple decades have blatantly exposed themselves as being anti-Human-American and pro-Corporate-American.

The American People will prove themselves truly stupid if they hand the govt to the Repugs n 2012, expecting the Repugs to do anything positive for the economy, jobs, and country.

hater
10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Ron Paul actually did well tonight even if he didn't get a lot of applause lines from the crowd. I love that he is in there adding width to the debate and saying shit the rest of them are afraid to say.

yes. saying he'll remove all financial aid to Israel was a real winner

:lol

hater
10-19-2011, 09:32 AM

I know. it's a pretty sad bunch.

hater
10-19-2011, 09:32 AM

with those crazy eyes of her. scary.

ploto
10-19-2011, 09:37 AM
1. Moderator Anderson Cooper asks him about the high number of uninsured children in Texas and he turns it into a charge that Romney hired illegal aliens to do his yard work, ignoring the question.

Watched 5 minutes, saw this part, and turned it off.

boutons_deux
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/lk101911dAPR-500.jpg

Winehole23
10-19-2011, 10:48 AM
not that there's anything necessarily wrong with drinking a little vino

cheguevara
10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
El Che felt awkward watching this debate. Like watching a bizarre incident in the twilight zone.

cheguevara
10-19-2011, 10:50 AM
all these "debates" are doing is burying the tea party and making the Rep Party look like a bunch of reptilian aliens tbh

Winehole23
10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
the cure for every vice and virtue is excessive participation

DarrinS
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
lmao @ those who watched this and the play-by-play analysis.

clambake
10-19-2011, 11:08 AM

why? you'll be voting for one of them.

which one will it be?

Winehole23
10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
lmao @ the supposed cherry (grenade) on top, added the next morning by a virtual nonparticipant in the conversation.

go read other threads if this one doesn't suit you, Darrin. you don't really read em anyway, why pick on this one?

cheguevara
10-19-2011, 11:15 AM

well I wasn't watching watching. Doing a ton of shit and had the debate in the background.

Sometimes I got a laugh of it and sometimes I thought "My God, one of these nutjobs is close to being president of the USA" :wow

clambake
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
i don't think mitt is a nutjob......but he's easily baited.

cheguevara
10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
i don't think mitt is a nutjob......but he's easily baited.

yeah. Mitt is Democratic candidate #2. It's cool democrats will have a representative in the GOP.

Also Gingrich seems like he has both feet on the ground. But the rest :lol batshit crazy

clambake
10-19-2011, 11:21 AM
the idea that perry has been gov. for 10 years is mindblowing.

cheguevara
10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
awesome summary by a commenter: :lmao

David Walker
The Republican "debates" just keep getting scarier. In a sane world, President Obama would stop raising money, tell his campaign staff to go home, and prepare for another inauguration. This is not a sane world.

The Republican candidates had no intention of "debating". They flatly refused to answer questions. What we got was fifth-grade taunts, hackneyed talking points, and a display of world-class ignorance. Nonetheless, after the scrapping, name-calling, and other nonsense, it is now clear the Republican Presidential nomination is Romney's to lose.

You don't recap this bunch moving from left to right. You move from far right to extreme right. Bachmann is gasping. She is now making her pitch to women, feeling their pain, and promising help. How she's going to do that while refusing to cut the defense budget is something she didn't explain. She made the evening's biggest gaffe noting that President Obama now has us in four wars. One in Iraq, one in Afghanistan, one in Libya, and now he has forces in Africa. In Bachmann's world, Libya is NOT in Africa.

Santorum wants desperately for us to believe that America is all about family values. That's what built America. Not indentured servants, not slaves, not devoted family guys like Daniel Boone, not the savory folks in Oglethorpe's Colony. Nope, it's families. You know it's those rock-solid American families, more than half of which are rent asunder by divorce. Beaver Santorum lacked only an angelic choir's backup to his "vision". Perry and Romney beat him like a drum.

Gingrich again pretended to be the elder statesman. He'd just love to be someone's Vice-President. By the way, these debates would have some substance, he let us know, if the media would only have a more sensible format. He is ready to challenge the Democratic nominee to a series of seven three-hour debates. That may happen, but it certainly won't be Gingrich facing off against President Obama.

You have to like Ron Paul. He is not playing for the audience - most of the time. He truly believes what he is saying, and the audience loves him. The answer is isolationism. The answer is the free market. Let states get into bidding wars to be the lucky recipient of the nation's nuclear waste. One thing he certainly has in common with Herman Cain: He sure knows how to lose the Jewish vote. Those darned Israelis are just too dependent on us.

Herman Cain was the nail. The other candidates were the hammers. His 9-9-9 plan got the deep 6-6-6, but the audience loves him. He brought the red meat to the soiree. Fry them damned illegals. Anyone who can't see serious homicidal tendencies in the Republican Party is blind as a bat. Herman Cain is done, and for the most part, Romney and Perry treated him like a lawn statue.

Speaking of Perry, why is it Texas Governors can't pronounce nuclear correctly? I thought Romney absolutely destroyed him. Perry's big gotcha was the fact that Romney had illegal aliens mowing his lawn. Weak! Coming from Texas, my guess is Perry's steaks are cut in a slaughter house that employs scads of illegals.

Romney came the closest to looking Presidential. He was very well-prepared. He delivered his remarks in some cases with a stiletto. He carved both Cain and Perry into little pieces. The rest? Well, noblesse oblige forbade his cutting them up too much. He is the best they have to offer, and he knows it.

In general, for a group that insists government is incompetent and can't create jobs, most promised to do exactly that - create jobs. Only Cain has the guts - certainly not the brains - to offer a plan, albeit the absurd 9-9-9 debacle. Not one of them offered a concrete proposal of any kind that will fly in the real world.

The pundits who discussed the debate afterwards are so out of touch with rank-and-file Americans it was stunning. David Gergen observed that beating on others doesn't play well with the audience. Really? Those guys are out for blood. (Crowd motto: "To hell with liberty, give us death.....someone else's.") Most thought Perry had improved - even Donna Brazile. Good grief, how low is that bar?

The thought of any one of those people as President, as the representative who meets with other heads of state, as the man who leads this country, is almost paralyzing. It should be inconceivable.

68 votes
#1.1 - Wed Oct 1

Xevious
10-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I have been voting in presidential elections since 1988, and am singularly unimpressed with the character, breadth and depth of the candidates I have had the choice of voting for. It is a sad testimony to our republic, which does contain many great minds and characters who have accomplished great things, that those that seek, or are considered for, the highest, most powerful office in the land are almost never those same people.
Well said.

It takes a certain personality to want the kind of responsibility these guys are fighting over. But more importantly, it takes money. One would think that in the internet age, with more inexpensive ways to get your word out to the public, that other candidates could get an opportunity. But it's just as bad as ever, because the media perpetuates the idea that we only have two options for presidency (both of which are usually garbage), and most people don't take time to do any research. I bet at least 98% of the voters wouldn't be able to name any other candidates besides the Democrat and Republican. Nothing is going to change for a long time.

It's all about the Benjamins.

4>0rings
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
the idea that perry has been gov. for 10 years is mindblowing.
Agreed, I cannot understand this. How is this possible!

Old Man McCain
10-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Agreed, I cannot understand this. How is this possible!

Gullible rednecks, Texas is full of 'em.
Mention how much you love God, guns, and Texas......BOOM 10 years.

And when he loses the nomination, he's gonna be the guv for awhile. There's a better chance of some other redneck Republican unseatting him than a Democrat. That's how bad it is for you Texans.

hitmanyr2k
10-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Gullible rednecks, Texas is full of 'em.
Mention how much you love God, guns, and Texas......BOOM 10 years.

And when he loses the nomination, he's gonna be the guv for awhile. There's a better chance of some other redneck Republican unseatting him than a Democrat. That's how bad it is for you Texans.

I immediately thought the same thing when I saw the question. It's fuckin Texas...of course a guy like Rick Bush is going to have a long rule as governor there :lol