PDA

View Full Version : Gumbel: Stern is a modern plantation overseer

benefactor
10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Gumbel taking Stern to the woodshed. It's a bit much, but it's not like Stern doesn't deserve it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Bryant-Gumbel-David-Stern-8216-eager-to-be-se;_ylt=AsjuN6xz1fNiEzc3SiY6hW68vLYF?urn=nba-wp9516

jag
10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
It was only a matter of time before someone referred to these black millionaires as slaves.

Sisk
10-19-2011, 02:16 PM
A bit much? Stern pushed for black ownership in sports and his players are some of the highest paid people on this planet. So fucking retarded. Gumbel is a moron.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
It was only a matter of time before someone referred to these black millionaires as slaves.

The entire point of slavery was so they would not have to pay labor or worry about losing services to a competitior.

What do you think that the function of a salary cap or the draft is? Limited pay and exclusive rights maybe?

Now obviously slavery is all encompassing, brutal and extreme but as a matter of degree the parallels are there.

cheguevara
10-19-2011, 02:45 PM
so is Stern fucking and impregnating Kobe's wife?

DMC
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
The entire point of slavery was so they would not have to pay labor or worry about losing services to a competitior.

What do you think that the function of a salary cap or the draft is? Limited pay and exclusive rights maybe?

Now obviously slavery is all encompassing, brutal and extreme but as a matter of degree the parallels are there.

It's virtually impossible to describe just how incorrect the comparison is between slavery and salary cap.

I suppose then the draft is the auction and the private jet they took to get there is the Amistad.

That would then make the refs the field bosses and Derek Fisher a house servant.

In fact, isn't anyone's salary cap then the same as slavery? I mean, if you have maxed out in your salary range, you have become a slave.

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Gumbel taking Stern to the woodshed. It's a bit much, but it's not like Stern doesn't deserve it.

Like Bene says:::Stern had this comin'.

DeadlyDynasty
10-19-2011, 05:24 PM
zJqkgWRxfk4

Spur_Fanatic
10-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Lol, Gumbel... enough said.

GO STERN!

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I cosign Gumpy's statement...you know I cosign that shit like a muthafucker....

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I stand with my brothers and offer these words of encouragement...

x_ESZ_Pb3NY

ElNono
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
^^^ this is the kind of guy that gives brothers a bad name, tbh

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
^^^ this is the kind of guy that gives brothers a bad name, tbh

^^^ this is the kind of guy that gives trannies a bad name, tbh

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 07:15 PM

Kool Aid Man

:lmao

DPG21920
10-19-2011, 07:16 PM
^^^ this is the kind of guy that does the tuck and walks around with the remote up his a**, tbh.

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 07:18 PM
^^^ this is the kind of guy that does the tuck and walks around with the remote up his a**, tbh.

^^^ this the kind of guy that because he's at natural dick level at 4'2" he's an easy cock block

DPG21920
10-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Kool with the chance to win the game free throw but comes up with the air ball bads.

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Kool with the chance to win the game free throw but comes up with the air ball bads.

i'm winning little homie::lol

SIvSfMAGeVA

DPG21920
10-19-2011, 07:27 PM
How are you winning when you just admitted I not only won $500 from you, but also cb'd you from the girl you stalk?

ElNono
10-19-2011, 07:30 PM

You mean the trannies you were hitting on? :lol

Plus what Gumbel said doesn't apply to you. He was talking about basketball players, not white water rafting...

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
How are you winning when you just admitted I not only won $500 from you, but also cb'd you from the girl you stalk?

Bend over. I'll give ya a fuckin' stalk.

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 07:31 PM

you didn't win shit...:lol

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
i'm winning little homie::lol

ElNono
10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
tbh, you're making Gumbel look wrong...

ElNono
10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
'seppe, why do you think Kool needs your backup? Can't handle the heat on his own?

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
'seppe, why do you think Kool needs your backup? Can't handle the heat on his own?

I'm copying your shit, El. Every time something is even remotely funny I'm gonna LMAO, big inside joke type laughing. Just hilarious.

ElNono
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm copying your shit, El. Every time something is even remotely funny I'm gonna LMAO, big inside joke type laughing. Just hilarious.

lmemulatedao!

DMC
10-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Skeet

JayTheClown
10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
I would love to be a NBA slave

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I would love to be a NBA slave

Have you ever been spanked by a man, Jay....an older man?

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Have you ever been spanked by a man, Jay....an older man?

who was white and had a 14 inch cock...:lol bigger than Kool's...:lol

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 10:11 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

NewcastleKEG
10-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Stern is the GODFATHER of the NBA, that's the difference. These ''slaves'' are free to go play overseas whenever they like

Gumbel obviously used the wrong analogy and by doing so his entire statement goes over peoples heads and he diminishes his point.

IMO, as the High School to the Pros rule fades farther into the past the NBA in general is becoming MORE EDUCATED. While NBA still has the dumbest players by a large margin, it's closed the gap so Stern no longer has to baby his players

midnightpulp
10-19-2011, 10:18 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

:rolleyes

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Gumbel is right. But, the players must share in the responsbility for being treated as Stern's "boys." When Stern decreed the dress code the players went along with it like good little "boys." When Stern decreed the zero tolerance officiating the players went along with it like good little "boys." He's made asses out of them, softening them up for the kill which he is now attempting to execute.

NewcastleKEG
10-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Gumbel is right. But, the players must share in the responsbility for being treated as Stern's "boys." When Stern decreed the dress code the players went along with it like good little "boys." When Stern decreed the zero tolerance officiating the players went along with it like good little "boys." He's made asses out of them, softening them up for the kill which he is now attempting to execute.
They had no other choice just like NFL players have no choice with their dress code stuff on the field.

Look unlike MLB or even NFL, most of these NBA players would be in jail or buried under ground if not for Stern. . .

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 10:47 PM
They had no other choice just like NFL players have no choice with their dress code stuff on the field.

Look unlike MLB or even NFL, most of these NBA players would be in jail or buried under ground if not for Stern. . .

...Stern has been rubbing their noses in their makings for several years now. Fully anticipating this contract negotiation. The owners have been egging him on--wanting Stern to get their money back, extract vengeance on their behalf. The players went along because they were raking it in with both hands. A 53-47 split was humiliating for the owners and EVERYBODY knew it.

NewcastleKEG
10-19-2011, 10:57 PM
...Stern has been rubbing their noses in their makings for several years now. Fully anticipating this contract negotiation. The owners have been egging him on--wanting Stern to get their money back, extract vengeance on their behalf. The players went along because they were raking it in with both hands. A 53-47 split was humiliating for the owners and EVERYBODY knew it.
Obviously Stern is gonna side with the owners. He would be an idiot to do otherwise

Giuseppe
10-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Obviously Stern is gonna side with the owners. He would be an idiot to do otherwise

Sure. I understand that. He serves at their behest. But, he's been uncompromising with the players over the past couple seasons. And they've been too compliant. That is a dangerous combination (for the players). We're there now. It can go no further. Stern is after monetary payback and the players were not prepared. They've had their collective heads in the sand for many years while Stern has been planning this bull rush to take back total control. The BRI is a smokescreen. Stern wants all the money in one little room and he'll dole it out a set amount for each fellow one at a time. The players laDda'ed to start with thinking they'd give in at 50/50 and everything would be done. The BRI is dynamic, the players know this. 53-47 they didn't have to try and increase revenue, just take the 53 and live the good life. At 50/50 the players rightfully figured they could goose the revenue enough to put a good sized dent in what they'd lost from 53-47.

The players can't affect a hard cap. It's static. All the money that has been laying around for 20 years will go away in the blink of a eye. And the players know it. The owners know it. This Cohen guys, he knows it. So Cohen tell's them Tuesday ("We'll start over from scratch. Nobody say 'no.'") It's a feel good proposition Cohen learned at mediation school. Two days later we're once again against the wall. They've talked about everything from scratch and it's fuck or walk time. We're down to 50/50 and the players will take that because they'll just put their collective noses to the grind stone and make up the difference they've lost from 53-47. That's it and that's all. The deal is done. Everything else will be the same. Uh, uh. The owners want 50/50 and a hard cap and all that entails.

We're once again at 'no' and everybody knows it.

4>0rings
10-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Sure. I understand that. He serves at their behest. But, he's been uncompromising with the players over the past couple seasons. And they've been too compliant. That is a dangerous combination (for the players). We're there now. It can go no further. Stern is after monetary payback and the players were not prepared. They've had their collective heads in the sand for many years while Stern has been planning this bull rush to take back total control. The BRI is a smokescreen. Stern wants all the money in one little room and he'll dole it out a set amount for each fellow one at a time. The players laDda'ed to start with thinking they'd give in at 50/50 and everything would be done. The BRI is dynamic, the players know this. 53-47 they didn't have to try and increase revenue, just take the 53 and live the good life. At 50/50 the players rightfully figured they could goose the revenue enough to put a good sized dent in what they'd lost from 53-47.

The players can't affect a hard cap. It's static. All the money that has been laying around for 20 years will go away in the blink of a eye. And the players know it. The owners know it. This Cohen guys, he knows it. So Cohen tell's them Tuesday ("We'll start over from scratch. Nobody say 'no.'") It's a feel good proposition Cohen learned at mediation school. Two days later we're once again against the wall. They've talked about everything from scratch and it's fuck or walk time. We're down to 50/50 and the players will take that because they'll just put their collective noses to the grind stone and make up the difference they've lost from 53-47. That's it and that's all. The deal is done. Everything else will be the same. Uh, uh. The owners want 50/50 and a hard cap and all that entails.

We're at 'no' and everybody knows it.

NewcastleKEG
10-19-2011, 11:23 PM

What's the alternative?

They have only themselves to blame for being too un-educated & un-cultured to play overseas. They also have only themselves to blame for living extravagant lives & now forced to take a weak deal to pay the bills.

Owners are struggling and the NBA is being labeled a struggling sport. Of course Stern is gonna tip the scales so the sport is more profitable for owners. At the end of the day these guys play a kids game for millions. Tough to side with them. The owners are taking a bigger personal risk

You have a personal horse in the running as a Laker fan. You want the gap between the have and the have not franchises to continue to widen. The Lakers have won their championships through free agency so of course you want this to remain an advantage of your team

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2011, 11:28 PM
What's the alternative?

They have only themselves to blame for being too un-educated & un-cultured to play overseas. They also have only themselves to blame for living extravagant lives & now forced to take a weak deal to pay the bills.

Owners are struggling and the NBA is being labeled a struggling sport. Of course Stern is gonna tip the scales so the sport is more profitable for owners. At the end of the day these guys play a kids game for millions. Tough to side with them. The owners are taking a bigger personal risk

You have a personal horse in the running as a Laker fan. You want the gap between the have and the have not franchises to continue to widen. The Lakers have won their championships through free agency so of course you want this to remain an advantage of your team

the bulls got their six and that's it :rollin

DMC
10-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Stern is doing his dead level best to keep the NBA marketable. Preventing it from becoming thugville is part of that.

DMC
10-19-2011, 11:34 PM

You have more euphemisms than grandpa Walton.

NewcastleKEG
10-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Stern is doing his dead level best to keep the NBA marketable. Preventing it from becoming thugville is part of that.
Agreed

Didn't help when overseas nations started beating America because we could do nothing else but dunk in the NBA

DMC
10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Agreed

Didn't help when overseas nations started beating America because we could do nothing else but dunk in the NBA
I think the A.I., Spree years took it's toll. People didn't want to buy season tickets to see a group of thugs play And1 while slinging gang signs.

I know a lot of it is show, but it's the wrong show. It's not marketable worldwide to the audience that's historically paid for tickets.

Stern's move was a drop in the bucket of what needs to happen. When people like Glen Davis tell fans to suck his dick, and people like Nate Robinson call other players the N word on national television, and people like Paul Pierce sling gang signs at other players, there's still a long way to go.

It's not going to go away completely, but someone needs to get a handle on it and it's been better recently than in those years.

Koolaid_Man
10-20-2011, 12:28 AM
I think the A.I., Spree years took it's toll. People didn't want to buy season tickets to see a group of thugs play And1 while slinging gang signs.

I know a lot of it is show, but it's the wrong show. It's not marketable worldwide to the audience that's historically paid for tickets.

Stern's move was a drop in the bucket of what needs to happen. When people like Glen Davis tell fans to suck his dick, and people like Nate Robinson call other players the N word on national television, and people like Paul Pierce sling gang signs at other players, there's still a long way to go.

It's not going to go away completely, but someone needs to get a handle on it and it's been better recently than in those years.

Trust me...people would pay $500 a ticket to see a prime A.I rather than watch lame ass prime Duncan play...that's a fact...

Koolaid_Man
10-20-2011, 12:28 AM
the ratings bear this out

DMC
10-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Trust me...people would pay $500 a ticket to see a prime A.I rather than watch lame ass prime Duncan play...that's a fact...

Because you have your finger on the pulse of America.

DMC
10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
the ratings bear this out
Ratings are affected by market size. You obviously aren't qualified to debate this with me.

TAMUK Drop-out
10-20-2011, 12:44 AM
No market outside of San Antonio considers Tim Duncan a draw...great player but boring as shit to watch. Anybody who says that prime Duncan is a bigger draw than prime AI is a faggot with zero credibility, and they should probably kill themselves to save the world from their stupidity.

Spur_Fanatic
10-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Who, no one mentions Duncan, and you snap.

Go do some more "Dwight/CP3 to L.A threads", Kool.
We need more laughs.

Giuseppe
10-20-2011, 05:32 AM

Exactly. It happens to feather my cap for the players to toe the status quo. I've never said otherwise.

Giuseppe
10-20-2011, 05:34 AM
You have more euphemisms than grandpa Walton.

Bend over. I'll show ya grandpa fuckin' Walton.

midnightpulp
10-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Bend over. I'll show ya grandpa fuckin' Walton.

DMC
10-23-2011, 01:52 PM
What would any living person today know about the characteristics of a slave owner? Gumbel has never met one, and his only source of information is from anecdotes.

It could be argued that Gumbel wasn't referring to race, but then he's smart enough to choose his words carefully. It's not improvised. He knew he was pulling the card.

Stern does have a superiority complex, but it's not race related. He would be just as uppity with any of his "workers".

Basketball does need a new commissioner, Stern's like Castro in that he's way past entitlement.

However, slaves never earned 20 million a year or anything besides a barn to sleep in and food and water.

What we wouldn't give to get these NBA slave positions, eh?

Oh yeah... I forgot... "sons".

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Gumbel took something that actually had merit and destroyed its credibility by making it race related and sounding like an angry disenfranchised black man.

Stern's unnecessary rules like the dress code or randomly changing the official NBA ball to something the players hated don't serve any purpose and are examples of him using his authority just because he likes having it.

The deputy commissioner is black, there is a growing amount of black celebrities who are partial team owners (Will Smith, Jay-Z, MJ), there are countless black coaches out there, etc. Stern isn't the slightest bit racist.

ElNono
10-23-2011, 02:25 PM
^^^ If anything the owners did right was to hire 3 jews (Stern, Silver, Litvin) to run the league and fight for them, tbh...

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-23-2011, 02:25 PM

:lmao no the parallels are not there at all. If the players didn't get to collectively bargain and were forced to accept a hard salary cap then maybe, but even then there's the whole part of slavery where it wasn't voluntary. Players can leave the NBA whenever they want to, slaves in the 1800s couldn't just stop picking cotton if they wanted to.

Nothing about the salary cap or the draft has anything to do with "exclusive rights". A player can go overseas if he doesn't wanna enter the draft or deal with a salary cap. The NBA doesn't have "exclusive rights" and never has, it gets the best athletes because it pays 7-8 figure salaries and is the most competitive league. Do you really think a league anyone on this site would play in if they could is comparable to a fuckin cotton plantation?

DPG21920
10-23-2011, 02:26 PM
DoK knows racism yall.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Even Steven A. Smith, one of the biggest reverse racists involved in professional sports, said Gumbel's comparison was asinine. If you have a reverse racist opinion that Steven A. Smith DOESN'T agree with, it means you've gone way too far.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-23-2011, 02:27 PM
DoK knows racism yall.
:lol

Giuseppe
10-23-2011, 03:23 PM
DoK knows racism yall.

+ DoK knows how to sit a stalk.

LnGrrrR
10-23-2011, 04:10 PM

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/HenryPierre/funny/I-see-what-you-did-there-Fry.jpg

DMC
10-23-2011, 07:18 PM
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/HenryPierre/funny/I-see-what-you-did-there-Fry.jpg
:lol

Not intentionally but hey, if the shoe fits.