PDA

View Full Version : Wear pink sh** - it helps the fight against breast cancer

jag
10-19-2011, 02:58 PM
I considered wearing a pink headband, pink wristbands and some pink Cole Haans into work today to help the fight against breast cancer. Then I thought to myself "how exactly does that help past, present or future victims of this terrible illness?"

Can anyone tell me how taking a pink Sharpie and coloring your shit pink actually helps anyone?

cantthinkofanything
10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I considered wearing a pink headband, pink wristbands and some pink Cole Haans into work today to help the fight against breast cancer. Then I thought to myself "how exactly does that help past, present or future victims of this terrible illness?"

Can anyone tell me how taking a pink Sharpie and coloring your shit pink actually helps anyone?

Besides raising awareness and having a portion of the millions of dollars of sales proceeds going to cancer research? Probably nothing.

CubanSucks
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
or how it relates to football? That's what annoys me most

Monostradamus
10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
You can't just wear pink shit. People who do that are retarded. You have to actually go out and buy pink shit where it says on the packaging that buying this pink shit sends money to breast cancer research or whatever.

Or just skip the pink shit and donate the money directly to it.

jag
10-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Besides raising awareness and having a portion of the millions of dollars of sales proceeds going to cancer research? Probably nothing.

Were you not aware that breast cancer existed?

Do you need your awareness raised further?

cantthinkofanything
10-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Were you not aware that breast cancer existed?

Do you need your awareness raised further?

I'm pretty aware of it since I've had multiple family members fight through it.

But there's still a lot of uneducated people out there. Early detection can mean the difference between life and death.

DMX7
10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Maybe some women need a reminder the get checked.

Mel_13
10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
lSnB9XCMRaI

jag
10-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty aware of it since I've had multiple family members fight through it.

But there's still a lot of uneducated people out there. Early detection can mean the difference between life and death.

I think everyone has a family member who's dealt with breast cancer at some point...I know I do. Women are constantly told to do self-examinations on their breasts. But I'm not sure how men wearing pink is going to help the situation.

There's a sign at the post office that says "Wear pink! Spread the word!" people have also been urged to wear pink to the University of Tennessee football games. Donating money and/or buying pink shit that has a portion of the proceeds donated is one thing. Wearing pink socks to a football game is just stupid. I don't know anyone who is pro-breast-cancer. I also don't know anyone who doesn't know what breast cancer is. But thanks to Dez Bryant's pink shoelaces, the battle is almost won.

lefty
10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I support women and their families in their fight against breast cancer

But I'll never wear pink shit

cantthinkofanything
10-19-2011, 04:04 PM
I think everyone has a family member who's dealt with breast cancer at some point...I know I do. Women are constantly told to do self-examinations on their breasts. But I'm not sure how men wearing pink is going to help the situation.

There's a sign at the post office that says "Wear pink! Spread the word!" people have also been urged to wear pink to the University of Tennessee football games. Donating money and/or buying pink shit that has a portion of the proceeds donated is one thing. Wearing pink socks to a football game is just stupid. I don't know anyone who is pro-breast-cancer. I also don't know anyone who doesn't know what breast cancer is. But thanks to Dez Bryant's pink shoelaces, the battle is almost won.

I hear ya. But I still believe that a lot of women are still not doing self exams or getting checked. The sign at the post office should say, "women check your breasts because you might have cancer and you don't want that". But until then, I'm OK with all the pink stuff.

bus driver
10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Awareness. Even if you don't buy a product that donates a percentage and just wear something pink it will create awareness. This makes people more prone to donate to this cause directly and buy products they don't necessarily need because it has a pink ribbon on it. I'm pretty sure research for breast cancer is one of the most funded of all cancers. The funding comes from the public and the government. A direct result of awareness.

well said and before 5! we can close this thread :wakeup

Dex
10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
lSnB9XCMRaI

:tu

Blake
10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Awareness. Even if you don't buy a product that donates a percentage and just wear something pink it will create awareness. This makes people more prone to donate to this cause directly and buy products they don't necessarily need because it has a pink ribbon on it. I'm pretty sure research for breast cancer is one of the most funded of all cancers. The funding comes from the public and the government. A direct result of awareness.

heart disease kills more women than all the types of cancer combined.

strange that it seems like breast cancer is #1.

DMC
10-19-2011, 05:24 PM

You're here talking about it. Obviously awareness has spread.

CubanMustGo
10-19-2011, 05:28 PM
There are about 75% as many deaths from prostate cancer as breast cancer. When's the last time someone told you to wear something to support prostate cancer sufferers? For that matter, colon & rectal cancer claims about 15% more lives. Ever see football players wearing any colors for that cause?

Cancer of all types sucks. I lost my father to lung cancer (which claims more lives than all three of the cancers above). There can be no doubt, however, that corporate America has latched onto breast cancer as a way to sell pink crap. Yes, they donate a portion - a SMALL one - of their profits, but rest assured they're laughing all the way to the bank.

DMC
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
When they find a cure for any cancer, it will probably affect them all. Unfortunately the money isn't in the cure, but in the treatment.

DMC
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
There are about 75% as many deaths from prostate cancer as breast cancer. When's the last time someone told you to wear something to support prostate cancer sufferers? For that matter, colon & rectal cancer claims about 15% more lives. Ever see football players wearing any colors for that cause?

Cancer of all types sucks. I lost my father to lung cancer (which claims more lives than all three of the cancers above). There can be no doubt, however, that corporate America has latched onto breast cancer as a way to sell pink crap. Yes, they donate a portion - a SMALL one - of their profits, but rest assured they're laughing all the way to the bank.
I saw some people at the bank today laughing. I bet it was them.

thispego
10-19-2011, 06:41 PM
pretty lame thing to complain about it. being insecure about your sexuality can be rought,huh jag?

Monostradamus
10-19-2011, 07:06 PM
pretty lame thing to complain about it. being insecure about your sexuality can be rought,huh jag?

lol "give me mavs>spurs info or I'll post this picture of you!"

cantthinkofanything
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
When they find a cure for any cancer, it will probably affect them all. Unfortunately the money isn't in the cure, but in the treatment.

this is the bottom line.
we'll never see the cure for cancer, a car that runs on air, the everlasting gobstopper, or a non racist Spurstalk (no racist).

mavs>spurs
10-19-2011, 08:13 PM
unless some genius who just wants to do good and doesn't care about the money gets in there and fucks it up for big pharma

tee, hee i'd love to see that

cantthinkofanything
10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
unless some genius who just wants to do good and doesn't care about the money gets in there and fucks it up for big pharma

tee, hee i'd love to see that

that fucker will be dead before he can say, "Viola".

thispego
10-19-2011, 08:29 PM
lol "give me mavs>spurs info or I'll post this picture of you!"

meh

slacker77
10-20-2011, 08:25 AM

I get the point of this thread,but I gotta agree with the first part of this statement.

boutons_deux
10-20-2011, 08:37 AM
a study presented at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) concluded annual mammography screening significantly increases breast cancer risk in women with a genetic or familial predisposition to the disease

among women who receive a decade of annual mammograms, more than half of those women will be called and told the gut-wrenching news that their tests are positive when they are actually cancer-free. The victims of false-positive results -- not a malignancy -- are then subjected to more tests. In fact, one in twelve of these women will undergo invasive, potentially breast-scarring biopsy surgery.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033903_mammograms_false_positives.html#ixzz1bKRN0P BP

==========

Huge controversies about screening for breast and prostate cancers.

Susan Komen has partnered with junk food companies (healthy diet is one of the tactics to reduce risk), and refuses to admit that BPA is associated with breast cancer (iow, taking the chemical industry's position, denying the research).

"It's A Business"

jag
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM

If I were so insecure about my sexuality would I be wearing pink bikini briefs right now to support breast cancer awareness? I also have on a red bandana to support aids awareness, purple elbow pads to support polio awareness and a rainbow colored anklet to support homosexual awareness.

mrsmaalox
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
among women who receive a decade of annual mammograms, more than half of those women will be called and told the gut-wrenching news that their tests are positive when they are actually cancer-free. The victims of false-positive results -- not a malignancy -- are then subjected to more tests. In fact, one in twelve of these women will undergo invasive, potentially breast-scarring biopsy surgery.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033903_mammograms_false_positives.html#ixzz1bKRN0P BP

This is completely misleading, of course.

The "annual" mammogram is not a diagnostic tool, it is a screening tool. There is no false positive result likely (but it does rarely happen)----either a mass is present or it is not.

A malignancy is positively diagnosed only with a more advanced type of diagnostic mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. Being informed of a positive result on a screening mammogram is not being told you have cancer/malignancy, it is being told there is a mass that is possibly malignant and must be investigated. Having the diagnostic exams completed and the results being negative does NOT indicate a "false-positive" of the screening exam.

ashbeeigh
10-20-2011, 12:32 PM

This is where I stand with it. There are plenty of other conditions that get attention, but it's like a day or week. There's wear red for heart disease, wear purple for alzheimer's awareness and I think wear blue for autism awareness. I understand that it gets a lot of press, but there are so many other things out there that need to have attention drawn to it. But, that's my little opinion.

mrsmaalox
10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I think it may be because this country has such an obsession with breasts in general ;)

cantthinkofanything
10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
This is where I stand with it. There are plenty of other conditions that get attention, but it's like a day or week. There's wear red for heart disease, wear purple for alzheimer's awareness and I think wear blue for autism awareness. I understand that it gets a lot of press, but there are so many other things out there that need to have attention drawn to it. But, that's my little opinion.

I've found that it's much easier for me to convince a date to let me check her for breast cancer than for her to give me a prostate exam.

boutons_deux
10-20-2011, 01:57 PM
This is completely misleading, of course.

The "annual" mammogram is not a diagnostic tool, it is a screening tool. There is no false positive result likely (but it does rarely happen)----either a mass is present or it is not.

A malignancy is positively diagnosed only with a more advanced type of diagnostic mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. Being informed of a positive result on a screening mammogram is not being told you have cancer/malignancy, it is being told there is a mass that is possibly malignant and must be investigated. Having the diagnostic exams completed and the results being negative does NOT indicate a "false-positive" of the screening exam.

the women mentioned are receiving annual SCREENING mgrams, and 50% had FPs. You're playing with words.

Screened FP means "something looks hmmm?, so we need to do more investigation/diagnosis" which in those cases confirmed the positive was false.

And then there is the problem of FN, where the lady has cancer but was not detected.

Every person thinks only about themselves, but policy makers deal on the of NTT, see wikipedia.

iow, what is the NTT to detect one true positive and/or save one life?

btw, PAP policy recommendation this week came out as once per 3 years.