PDA

View Full Version : Boy Dies After Going on Disney World Ride

atlfan25
06-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Boy Dies After Going on Disney World Ride
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159501,00.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — A 4-year-old boy died after a spin on a Walt Disney World (search) spaceship ride so intense that some riders have been taken to the hospital with chest pain.

Daudi Bamuwamye (search) lost consciousness Monday aboard "Mission: Space," which spins riders in a giant centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity. The boy's mother carried him off the ride, and paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at a hospital.

An autopsy Tuesday showed no trauma so further tests will be conducted and a cause of death may not be known for several weeks, said Sheri Blanton, a spokeswoman for the Medical Examiner's Office in Orlando (search).

The sheriff's office said the boy met the minimum 44-inch height requirement for the ride.

The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but reopened Tuesday after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally.

Disney officials said in a statement that they were "providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time." No changes were made to the ride or in who is permitted to ride it.

"We believe the ride is safe in its current configuration," Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said.

More than 8.6 million visitors have gone on "Mission: Space" since 2003, Polak said.

The ride recreates a rocket launch and a trip to Mars. A clock counts down before a simulated blastoff that includes smoke and flame and the sound of roaring rocket engines. The G-forces twist and distort riders' faces.

An audio recording and a video warn of the risks. Signs advise pregnant women not to go on the ride. Motion sickness bags are offered to riders. One warning sign posted last year read: "For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure."

Since the attraction opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea. That is the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious incidents to the state. The most recent case was last summer, when a 40-year-old woman was taken to a hospital after fainting.

"Two Gs is not that big a deal," said Houston-based theme park consultant Randy King, a former safety director at Six Flags, which operates 30 amusement parks.

The boy from Sellersville, Pa., was on the ride with his mother and a sister. During the ride, the mother noticed that Daudi's body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought he was frightened, so she took his hand. When the ride was over, he had gone limp.

The boy's father is Moses Bamuwamye, a finance officer at the United Nations, authorities said.

One other death was reported at Disney World this year. A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. A medical examiner's report said her death "was not unexpected."

Florida's major theme parks not directly regulated by the state, and instead have their own inspectors.

iminlakerland
06-15-2005, 02:29 AM
damn thats sad to read...i feel real bad for the family.

Gerryatrics
06-15-2005, 03:39 AM
I'm still waiting for an explanation of the death. Two G's is nothing, most kids have probably pulled close to two G's on a swing set. Some people just collapse and die for whatever reason that nobody could foresee, so far it's looking like that was the case with this incident and it just happened to occur on this particular ride. Unfortunate for all involved.

TheTruth
06-15-2005, 07:29 AM
that really really really really really sucks.

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 09:04 AM
"We believe the ride is safe in its current configuration," Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said.

Obviously not.

SWC Bonfire
06-15-2005, 09:20 AM

Obviously not.

There is a huge amount of risk assessment that goes on for every ride. The signs everywhere telling you to sit down and that you should not ride the ride if you have..... should be followed. They are there to protect the company from lawsuits for the most mundane of reasons. You're telling me that the ride manufacturer & operator is responsible for the death of this kid, when millions of people went through with no problem?

This kid probably had some other health issues, and there is no way that a ride can be designed to prevent something like that.

I got a little worked up on that, I'm an engineer in the amusement industry, and we sell products to Disney. They are hands down the absolute best in every facet of the amusement industry. They don't even buy other companies' rides - they design all of theirs in-house for safety/reliability/continuity reasons.

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
"Since the attraction opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea. That is the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious incidents to the state. The most recent case was last summer, when a 40-year-old woman was taken to a hospital after fainting."

That tells me some things need to be at least looked at and investigated. I realize there are some people that probably ride and should not but still 7 incidents is something to be concerned about including a death.

spurs_2108
06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
The boy barely passed the height requirement to ride this ride and he was only 4 years old. Come on. I think they should raise the height requirement to atleast 48 or 50 inches. All those people could of had a condition when riding that ride.

SWC Bonfire
06-15-2005, 11:10 AM
"Since the attraction opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea. That is the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious incidents to the state. The most recent case was last summer, when a 40-year-old woman was taken to a hospital after fainting."

That tells me some things need to be at least looked at and investigated. I realize there are some people that probably ride and should not but still 7 incidents is something to be concerned about including a death.

That means one out of over 1.2 million people happened to have something occur on that ride. I guarantee you more people blacked out standing in line the Florida sun than have had problems on that ride. I'd also be willing to bet that someone has had a heart attack and died while on the Disney property. The odds are they have, because their are so many people. Some rides are more strenuous than others. That is why there are warnings, and even public announcements stating so. Disney is not going to put out a dangerous ride to risk hurting their patrons and getting sued.

Ask other amusement parks what their record is. We sell to most of them. Disney is a safe place where I would take my family.

bigzak25
06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Godbless that poor little boy and his poor mama.

i'm very curious about the autopsy report. :(

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 11:25 AM
That means one out of over 1.2 million people happened to have something occur on that ride. I guarantee you more people blacked out standing in line the Florida sun than have had problems on that ride. I'd also be willing to bet that someone has had a heart attack and died while on the Disney property. The odds are they have, because their are so many people. Some rides are more strenuous than others. That is why there are warnings, and even public announcements stating so. Disney is not going to put out a dangerous ride to risk hurting their patrons and getting sued.

Ask other amusement parks what their record is. We sell to most of them. Disney is a safe place where I would take my family.
Im not saying they are not safe and I have been to Disney twice and I will go again, but I just think they should look at it more closely thats all. I dont think you can ignore it just because the ratio is still in your favor. I dont care if ten million people go and only one dies. You cant put a price on someones life and if you can do something, anything to save a life I say do it.

jcrod
06-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Autopsy: No trauma on boy who died after Epcot ride

link (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/15/disney.death.ap/index.html)

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida (AP) -- An autopsy on a 4-year-old boy who died after passing out on a Walt Disney World spaceship ride found no trauma, and more tests will be conducted to determine a cause of death, officials said.

Daudi Bamuwamye of Sellersville, Pennsylvania, passed out Monday on the "Mission: Space" ride, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars. The attraction is so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

During the ride, Daudi's mother, Agnes, noticed that his body was rigid and that his legs were stretched straight out, but she thought he was just frightened, according to a sheriff's report.

When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive, and he could not be revived.

An autopsy Tuesday showed no trauma so further tests will be conducted. A cause of death may not be known for several weeks, said Sheri Blanton, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner in Orlando.

"Now it's going to be a matter of, 'If it wasn't trauma, what did it?"' Blanton said.

The ride was closed after the death but reopened Tuesday after Disney World engineers concluded that it was operating normally. No changes were made to the ride or to rules regulating who can ride it.

"We believe the ride is safe in its current configuration," Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said. The sheriff's office said the boy met the ride's minimum 44-inch height limit.

More than 8.6 million visitors have gone on "Mission: Space" since it opened in 2003, Polak said.

Elsewhere, another heavily promoted, scary theme park ride was shut down last week. The Kingda Ka roller coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey, billed as the world's fastest when it opened to the public last month, was closed June 8 after it malfunctioned during a test when no one was aboard.

On Tuesday, park officials determined that a piece of liner covering an area under the coaster's tracks had dislodged and "damaged a number of other parts," spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher told the Asbury Park (New Jersey) Press.

Siebeneicher said the park is trying to identify the problem to make sure it does not

jcrod
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Im not saying they are not safe and I have been to Disney twice and I will go again, but I just think they should look at it more closely thats all. I dont think you can ignore it just because the ratio is still in your favor. I dont care if ten million people go and only one dies. You cant put a price on someones life and if you can do something, anything to save a life I say do it.

More than 8.6 million visitors have gone on "Mission: Space" since it opened in 2003, Polak said.

That's a whole lot of people without any incedents, but I agree they should raise the age requirement. I don't think I would've let my 4yr kid get on a ride that stimulates a space shuttle launch though.

T Park
06-15-2005, 01:40 PM

More people talking out of their ass, who dont have a fuckin clue.

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 01:50 PM
More people talking out of their ass, who dont have a fuckin clue.Choice words for a person who did not even comment in this thread before. I was just stating my opinion I mean the kid was 4 years old why would they let him on a ride that intense, maybe the age needs to be changed or something. Sorry I am not an expert in amusement parks or rides but I was just stating my opinion, no need to bite heads off here

T Park
06-15-2005, 01:54 PM
why would they let him on a ride that intense

they only follow the rules the manufacture makes.

I own amusement rides and know how it goes.

but I was just stating my opinion

Thats the problem, your stating an uneducated opinion, on something you dont have all the facts on.

Once again, it sounds like a freak thing.

On an amusement ride

7 incidents of SICKENESS like gonna puke, out of 12 MILLION riders??

Uh, theres more people that get car sickeness in 12 million car drivers or riders.

T Park
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Choice words for a person who did not even comment in this thread before

Hey I just got here chill out lol

Useruser666
06-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Thats the problem, your stating an uneducated opinion, on something you dont have all the facts on.

Oh come on T park, when has that ever stopped you? :lol :p

I think it's a pretty isolated incident. But maybe they should raise the minimum age. Let the experts decide.

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:05 PM
come on T park, when has that ever stopped you

when it comes to a serious matter like this.

But maybe they should raise the minimum age

There isnt a minimum age, its size, they go by size because of how they fit in the seat, how well their body can handle it yada yada yada.

SWC Bonfire
06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Let the experts decide.

Disney has been designing the world's most complex rides for their own use since the 1960's. They are the experts.

thispego
06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
ehhhh disney world is so juvenile

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 02:24 PM
they only follow the rules the manufacture makes.

I own amusement rides and know how it goes.

Once again, it sounds like a freak thing.

On an amusement ride

Uh, theres more people that get car sickeness in 12 million car drivers or riders.So then nothing is done and they just let it go?
Maybe it was a freak thing but would you feel the same if it was your kid that this happened to?

SWC Bonfire
06-15-2005, 02:38 PM
So then nothing is done and they just let it go?
Maybe it was a freak thing but would you feel the same if it was your kid that this happened to?

Sure, it is emotionally heartwrenching for the family. An accident investigation will take place, probably from an independent party.

You said earlier:

You cant put a price on someones life and if you can do something, anything to save a life I say do it.

What you don't realize is that everyday in everything you use, your life and the lives of your family have been given a set dollar amount. If it costs too much money to save one life out of 1 million, it's not done sometimes. It's a cold, hard fact, but without it you wouldn't have a car, ride a plane, have highways (or highway improvements for that matter). It's called Utilitarianism, it ain't fun, you don't always agree with it, but it happens nonetheless.

spurs_2108
06-15-2005, 02:39 PM
You can ride the ride at any age, but you have to meet the height requirement. It is currently 44 inches. That sure isn't a lot of height. That is why that 4 year old got to ride. Maybe they should raise the height requirement to so accidents like this don't happen again. 2 g's are that bad. You feel more than 2 g's on a roller coaster easily. I think. :elephant

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Sure, it is emotionally heartwrenching for the family. An accident investigation will take place, probably from an independent party.

You said earlier:

What you don't realize is that everyday in everything you use, your life and the lives of your family have been given a set dollar amount. If it costs too much money to save one life out of 1 million, it's not done sometimes. It's a cold, hard fact, but without it you wouldn't have a car, ride a plane, have highways (or highway improvements for that matter). It's called Utilitarianism, it ain't fun, you don't always agree with it, but it happens nonetheless.I see what your saying, and your right its a cold fact. I guess money really is the root of all evil.

T Park
06-15-2005, 03:02 PM
So then nothing is done and they just let it go?
Offline | Online

Look, if it happened to my kid, Id be mad too yes, but you have to use

whoa

COMMON SENSE!!!

7 people were treated for nausia, thats it, this was more than likely a child that suffered from a heart condition that went undetected, or they didnt know would come into play while riding this ride.

That simple.

If it was something wrong with the ride, they would close it down and fix it.

That .

SWC Bonfire
06-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Its not evil, its a way to decide realisitically if an action will be "worth it", like should the $30 million we have for highway improvements this quarter be used for a bunch of small projects or one large one. It's one component in the decision process. No one wants anyone to get hurt.

Nothing in life is 100% safe. How many people have been injured sitting in front of their computer?

Dre_7
06-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Wow, thats sad. Very scary to read too. I have a really close friend who is on her way to Disney Land right now for vacation. Sheesh, shouldnt have read that.

God Bless their family. That is sooo sad. :depressed

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Wow, thats sad. Very scary to read too. I have a really close friend who is on her way to Disney Land right now for vacation. Sheesh, shouldnt have read that.

God Bless their family. That is sooo sad. :depressedi beleive this happened at Disney World in Florida. Disneyland is in California.

T Park
06-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Yes, the said ride is in Orlando, I got a tour of it in November, during a convention.

Interesting ride.

Dre_7
06-15-2005, 03:58 PM
i beleive this happened at Disney World in Florida. Disneyland is in California.

Yeah I know it was in Fla, and even though she is going to Cali, it is just kinda odd to see that as she is on her way to catch a plane.

sa_butta
06-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah I know it was in Fla, and even though she is going to Cali, it is just kinda odd to see that as she is on her way to catch a plane.Im sure she will be fine, never been to Disneyland but would like to go sometime. Disneyworld is a blast.

Dre_7
06-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Im sure she will be fine, never been to Disneyland but would like to go sometime. Disneyworld is a blast.

Oh, I know she will be fine. Im not worried at all. I was just sayin that its kinda odd. But its all good. I never been to either. I heard they were a blast, but expensive. I'll prolly hear all about it when she calls on Fridy.

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Disneyland is OK.

I loven to take a week or two, and especially my neices, and hang out at Disneyworld.

Its a great atmosphere, and the resteraunts and parks are a blast.

I love the wilderness lodge, what a place.

E20
06-15-2005, 05:09 PM
On a different note, twice the amount of Earth's gravity. So somewhere around 19.6(Sorry I don't know the unit for measuring gravity). So, if my years of watching action cartoons have given me something then it is this knowlegde: If you were to build a chamber that can raise the gravity and work out there wouldn't you be able to fucking be a super human after training in there a sufficient amount of time on Earth. Since you're so used to let's say twice the Earth's gravity shouldn't you be able to left heavier objects and jump higher? Can it be done? I'm gonna try!!!!!!!

Sad story about the boy though. Poor kid. :depressed

Mr. Ash
06-15-2005, 08:31 PM
(Sorry I don't know the unit for measuring gravity)

meters per second squared (m/s^2)

I'm not sure your circulatory system would be able to keep up with the new weight of your blood, but hey, it works in sci-fi novels.

Mr. Ash
06-15-2005, 08:40 PM

To be fair, there were probably thousands and thousands of cases of "sickness like gonna puke". They're saying 7 people were *hospitalized* for "chest pains, fainting, or nausea". That would be bad news if, say, twenty people had rode the ride. As it is, I agree that the number of incidents is completely and utterly trivial, but it's fun to over react.

Useruser666
06-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Disney has been designing the world's most complex rides for their own use since the 1960's. They are the experts.

So, that's what my statement means then.

Useruser666
06-16-2005, 07:49 AM
when it comes to a serious matter like this.

There isnt a minimum age, its size, they go by size because of how they fit in the seat, how well their body can handle it yada yada yada.

There's no reason they can't have both.

atlfan25
06-16-2005, 11:10 AM
That would mean kids would have to bring along their birth certificates when they go to amusement parks.

Useruser666
06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
That would mean kids would have to bring along their birth certificates when they go to amusement parks.

And you don't think that's required to get discount tickets?

atlfan25
06-16-2005, 11:16 AM
And you don't think that's required to get discount tickets?
It would just be a bit of a bitch for every kid to have it cuz 100% of the people at like fiesta texas or somethin don't buy discount tickets that have age requirements.

MiNuS
06-16-2005, 11:20 AM
after all the sh!t thats been going on with Disney,I have been turned OFF,from making it one of my "places to go before I die". Its OFF the list.

SpursWoman
06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
That is so, so sad what happened to that little boy.... :(

Just a rather puzzling thought, though, I can't be 1 out of only 7 people that have ever ridden that ride to get sick on it.

:vomit :oops

Useruser666
06-16-2005, 11:22 AM
It would just be a bit of a bitch for every kid to have it cuz 100% of the people at like fiesta texas or somethin don't buy discount tickets that have age requirements.

Maybe so, but it could be easily used as protection from people who take kids who are too young to ride on some of these attractions. Especially those who run around without parents.

totalspurshomer
06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Just a note from someone who was on that ride last summer:

I went into it knowing, from the seemingly millions of Disney warnings plus reviews, that it was going to be really intense. Two-thirds into the ride my head and stomach were more than ready for it to be over. It's hell getting older, the body won't take what the mind still wants to do. Still, I enjoyed the ride, I'm glad I experienced it, I give it high marks, but I vowed never to let myself ride it again.

My ten year old boy, on the other hand, couldn't wait to get through the exit and get back in line(without me, of course) with his grandmother's un-used fast pass. He also rode it a couple other times on that trip.

My own opinion as nothing more than an aging veteran of amusement rides/parks of varying degree of thrill vs trust factor...as a youngster, teen, young adult, and for many years now a parent responsible for his kids' safety...the ride produced a reaction that the boy's body couldn't handle, but I don't think I'd say the ride caused(is responsible for) the boy's death. Perhaps they should have an age requirement, but I think their intent is to give out ride info and trust a parent to know their kids' minds and bodies. And Disney does a good job of it.

And I'm not into piling on the boy's parents or trying to sound preachy. But it's so easy to find out about these rides/parks ahead of time, especially the latest and greatest intense rides, and make the best choice you can. It truly is a tragedy and his parents need support rather than a guilt trip.

But I don't think the guilt finger should be pointed at Disney.

T Park
06-16-2005, 11:38 AM

use some common sense.

Take it from someone who is IN the business.

There are 10 year olds who just barely pass the height stick, and there are 5 years that are bigger than it.

Use common sense User, you go by height not age.

totalspurshomer
06-16-2005, 11:43 AM
use some common sense.

Take it from someone who is IN the business.

There are 10 year olds who just barely pass the height stick, and there are 5 years that are bigger than it.

Use common sense User, you go by height not age.
T Park, you make good points.

Height and age can be so contradictory. At some point, the parent has to make a choice in their child's best interests. Can my child physically and mentally handle this ride? Just because he's tall enough doesn't mean his mind can handle it. On the other hand, if he ain't tall enough to safely ride, then it don't matter how mature he is...he shouldn't ride.