PDA

View Full Version : Al Hitchcock movies

Fabbs
10-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Rebecca 1940
1st 45 minutes snails pace is too much even by suspense/Hitchcock standards. I actually watched and listened to part of it on double speed and still got all the scenes and language. :lol
Last 20 minutes is really good.
Like the main chick in the movie played by Joan Fontaine, glad the creeps were not able to get her in the end.

Fabbs
10-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Joan Fontaine as Mrs de Winter
http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Fontaine,%20Joan/Annex/NRFPT/Annex%20-%20Fontaine,%20Joan_NRFPT_03.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
10-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Rebecca's a good one. :tu

Rope is my favorite, 39 Steps a close second.

mrsmaalox
10-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Oh man, Rebecca is one of my all time favorites. Joan Fontaine is my second favorite 40's actress right after Stanwyck; she's great in this one, but the star of it all is Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson) *shivers* :lol

Trivia: You know the housekeeper in Mel Brooks Young Frankenstein? That's Cloris Leachman channeling Mrs. Danvers ;)

My favorite Hitchcock is Suspicion---which coincidentally also stars Joan Fontaine in the same type of wallflower, plain-jane role (she won the Oscar for Best Actress). But what I love about this one is Cary Grant----he is absolutely delicious----and skin crawling creepy too!

More trivia: Joan Fontaine is the sister of Olivia de Havilland---while Fontaine was filming Rebecca with Laurence Olivier, De Havilland was filming Gone With The Wind with Vivian Leigh, Olivier's wife.

Giuseppe
10-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Rebecca's a good one. :tu

Rope is my favorite, 39 Steps a close second.

I've tried Rebecca a couple times and I just don't enjoy it.

---

Rope is terribly contrived. The movie comes off as hurried and over before it starts. Ugh.

---

An early one The Lady Vanishes never grows old for me. The ending scene where it's revealed thru music before sight that the old lady lives is astonishing.

Bender
10-22-2011, 08:03 AM
I actually watched and listened to part of it on double speed
Hitchcock would be pissed at that :lol
His rule was that theaters were not allowed to let any 'late' people in. He wanted all viewers to watch the complete movies. At least later in his career.

Cary grant was a murdererer in suspicion, but they decided to leave a little doubt, so his clean-cut image didn't suffer.

I caught Shadow of a Doubt a while back, for the first time.

DeadlyDynasty
10-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I've tried Rebecca a couple times and I just don't enjoy it.

---

Rope is terribly contrived. The movie comes off as hurried and over before it starts. Ugh.

---

An early one The Lady Vanishes never grows old for me. The ending scene where it's revealed thru music before sight that the old lady lives is astonishing.

Rope is great, couldn't disagree with you more on it. If the plot seems contrived, maybe it's because he used the real-life Leopold and Loeb thrill-kill as the basis of his story--but with decidedly Hitchcockian twists and details. Even the two villains are effeminate and latently homosexual, as Leopold and Loeb were rumored to be.

The dialogue is witty and chock fulla sinister black humor throughout. The entire movie takes place in one room and only encompasses a dinner party--so of course the movie might seem hurried.

There are also numerous subtle touches throughout the movie that make it brilliant as well. One that goes unnoticed is when Jimmy Stewart and the dude's parents are on the couch, and everybody's joking about murder and laughing it up. For a brief second you see the father look out the window, wondering where his son is (obviously not realizing his son's dead body is in the room)...that's something small, but for that particular scene/moment it was a great touch. The film is deliciously macabre. You should check it out again.

The Lady Vanishes is excellent. That one, 39 Steps, Sabotage, and Man Who Knew Too Much (Lorre version) were all great early Hitchcock films.

Giuseppe
10-22-2011, 09:22 AM
The film is deliciously macabre. You should check it out again.

Oh, I've watched it numerous times. Stewart is much too quick to suspect murder. It seems everybody is.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Guy's a genius. I thought the chick from Vertigo was pretty hot. Thanks to Al I've learned I can do a decent Jimmy Stewart impersonation.

mrsmaalox
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Hitchcock is known for always making a cameo appearance in his films. Someone posted this youtube in a classic film forum I post on:

OW6Rdiqlg2E

stretch
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
lol fabbs

Fabbs
11-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Suspicion 1941
Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine.

Very good suspense as was Hitchocks trademark style.
A bit overdone as i couldn't buy the ending with her continuing to enable his assholeish behaviour, but still a good flick.
Turns out Al wanted it to end very differently, with Grant committing the murder but the studio wanted Grant to keep a **hero** persona.

TimDunkem
11-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Check out Rear Window - one of my favorites - one of the best ever, imo.

Giuseppe
11-02-2011, 05:09 AM
^It never grows old. Kelly is absolutely adorable there. The only problem with that movie is...it ends.

slayermin
11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Hitchcock turned out some incredible films. My favorites include Shadow of a Doubt, Marnie, Frenzy, and Lifeboat.

The only duds I can think of were Family Plot and Under Capricorn.

Fabbs
11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Foreign Correspondent 1940.
All in all not bad.
Way too much meandering but enough action and momentum that in the end it was alright. The plane crash scene with survivors exiting plane and floating on top of the wing was fantastic SFX for it's time.

It was never stated specifically which country Steven Fisher was for, altho he was an Axis spy for sure. How did it come to be he was Axis but his daughter was Allied?

redzero
09-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Why were the last 30 minutes of Vertigo so weird?

ohmwrecker
09-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Rope is my favorite

:tu