PDA

View Full Version : Need your good thoughts!

Cyrano
10-22-2011, 08:11 PM
My wife of 38 years has been in the hospital for more than two years. For almost a year before she went into the hospital, she was paralyzed from the neck down. She spent the first several weeks of her hospital stay in a coma, and since then has undergone nine surgeries and after months and months of therapy has regained the use of her hands and arms, and can move her legs and feet, although she still can't stand. She and I are both Army veterans, and thankfully, her medical needs have been taken care of by the VA.
Here's the thing...she should be coming home soon. The problem right now is that she can't come home until a hospital bed and hoist are installed in the house. One group of doctors says she can come home as soon as the equipment is installed, and another group says that they will be happy to order the equipment as soon as she is discharged - the classic catch-22.
I think that might be resolved now, since I finally got the two groups of doctors to listen to each other and agree that they were working at cross-purposes. I guess we'll see soon.
The truth is, though, that I'm scared to death that she'll get home and I won't be able to take proper care of her. It's not that I'm unfamiliar with medical procedures; it seems like ages ago that I was an operating room technician in the Army. It's just that I've already taken care of her for years as I watched her health deteriorate to the point that I had to send her to the hospital over her strenuous objections.
Oh well....sorry 'bout the rant, but I needed to blow off some steam.

silverblk mystix
10-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Thoughts, prayers & mojo go out to you & your wife...hope the feeling of home boosts her spirits...

hang in there...

Mel_13
10-22-2011, 09:13 PM
My wife of 38 years has been in the hospital for more than two years. For almost a year before she went into the hospital, she was paralyzed from the neck down. She spent the first several weeks of her hospital stay in a coma, and since then has undergone nine surgeries and after months and months of therapy has regained the use of her hands and arms, and can move her legs and feet, although she still can't stand. She and I are both Army veterans, and thankfully, her medical needs have been taken care of by the VA.
Here's the thing...she should be coming home soon. The problem right now is that she can't come home until a hospital bed and hoist are installed in the house. One group of doctors says she can come home as soon as the equipment is installed, and another group says that they will be happy to order the equipment as soon as she is discharged - the classic catch-22.
I think that might be resolved now, since I finally got the two groups of doctors to listen to each other and agree that they were working at cross-purposes. I guess we'll see soon.
The truth is, though, that I'm scared to death that she'll get home and I won't be able to take proper care of her. It's not that I'm unfamiliar with medical procedures; it seems like ages ago that I was an operating room technician in the Army. It's just that I've already taken care of her for years as I watched her health deteriorate to the point that I had to send her to the hospital over her strenuous objections.

All I can tell you is that you absolutely will do what needs be done. Others will think you are remarkable for doing so, but you will be following the only course that makes any sense to you.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

DMC
10-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Check on Hospice to see if they can help. I don't know if they help recovering people, but there are organizations that can.

mavs>spurs
10-23-2011, 03:53 AM
hope everything works out bro

JoeChalupa
10-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your wife. I can't even imagine being in your shoes.

DPG21920
10-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow, what a story. Thoughts and prayers are definitely with you and I'm glad she is coming home.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Hope it all works out and that is a crazy story. As DMC said, there's ways to get her proper care if you can't give it, but you seem like you'll do whatever it takes to make sure you give her proper care.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Good thoughts from down here in Argentina man. Hope everything turns out well

ElNono
10-23-2011, 11:16 PM
You'll do well. Best wishes and hope she gets well soon.

Vinnie_Johnson
10-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Sending good thoughts your way. Hang in there.

Fpoonsie
10-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Wow. Definitely sending good thoughts your way.

I'm always amazed at both the people WITH the disability and the way they battle through it, as well as those that stand alongside 'em.

Agloco
10-24-2011, 06:44 AM
All I can tell you is that you absolutely will do what needs be done. Others will think you are remarkable for doing so, but you will be following the only course that makes any sense to you.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

This x1000.

My best wishes.

mouse
10-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Our thoughts (posters of the Club) have always been Good for you and your wife we need to kick it up a notch.

mouse
10-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your wife. I can't even imagine being in your shoes.

^ what he said.

mrsmaalox
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
This is something I have been thinking a lot about lately, as my mother is being worked up for Alzheimer's and I am flying home later this week for the results. Obviously you are aware of the challenge you are facing and I wish for you great strength and patience. They only advice I have to offer is not to be hesistant to ask for help; a home health aide for a couple of hours a day will remove the burden of ADLs and give you a break to go for a walk or something.

ashbeeigh
10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Cryano. I know that being a caregiver for someone can be very stressful. There are lots of caregiver support groups out there. If you'd like to get in touch with any of them let me know. I can get you some contact information.

2Blonde
10-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow, you are going through a tough stretch. Please know that my thoughts & prayers are with you & your wife.