PDA

View Full Version : World power swings back to America?

CosmicCowboy
10-24-2011, 09:25 AM
An interesting take on current economic events...

The American phoenix is slowly rising again. Within five years or so, the US will be well on its way to self-sufficiency in fuel and energy. Manufacturing will have closed the labour gap with China in a clutch of key industries. The current account might even be in surplus.

Assumptions that the Great Republic must inevitably spiral into economic and strategic decline - so like the chatter of the late 1980s, when Japan was in vogue - will seem wildly off the mark by then.
Telegraph readers already know about the "shale gas revolution" that has turned America into the world’s number one producer of natural gas, ahead of Russia.
Less known is that the technology of hydraulic fracturing - breaking rocks with jets of water - will also bring a quantum leap in shale oil supply, mostly from the Bakken fields in North Dakota, Eagle Ford in Texas, and other reserves across the Mid-West.
"The US was the single largest contributor to global oil supply growth last year, with a net 395,000 barrels per day (b/d)," said Francisco Blanch from Bank of America, comparing the Dakota fields to a new North Sea.
Total US shale output is "set to expand dramatically" as fresh sources come on stream, possibly reaching 5.5m b/d by mid-decade. This is a tenfold rise since 2009.
The US already meets 72pc of its own oil needs, up from around 50pc a decade ago.
"The implications of this shift are very large for geopolitics, energy security, historical military alliances and economic activity. As US reliance on the Middle East continues to drop, Europe is turning more dependent and will likely become more exposed to rent-seeking behaviour from oligopolistic players," said Mr Blanch.
Meanwhile, the China-US seesaw is about to swing the other way. Offshoring is out, 're-inshoring' is the new fashion.
"Made in America, Again" - a report this month by Boston Consulting Group - said Chinese wage inflation running at 16pc a year for a decade has closed much of the cost gap. China is no longer the "default location" for cheap plants supplying the US.
A "tipping point" is near in computers, electrical equipment, machinery, autos and motor parts, plastics and rubber, fabricated metals, and even furniture.
"A surprising amount of work that rushed to China over the past decade could soon start to come back," said BCG's Harold Sirkin.
The gap in "productivity-adjusted wages" will narrow from 22pc of US levels in 2005 to 43pc (61pc for the US South) by 2015. Add in shipping costs, reliability woes, technology piracy, and the advantage shifts back to the US.
The list of "repatriates" is growing. Farouk Systems is bringing back assembly of hair dryers to Texas after counterfeiting problems; ET Water Systems has switched its irrigation products to California; Master Lock is returning to Milwaukee, and NCR is bringing back its ATM output to Georgia. NatLabs is coming home to Florida.
Boston Consulting expects up to 800,000 manufacturing jobs to return to the US by mid-decade, with a multiplier effect creating 3.2m in total. This would take some sting out of the Long Slump.
As Philadelphia Fed chief Sandra Pianalto said last week, US manufacturing is "very competitive" at the current dollar exchange rate. Whether intended or not, the Fed's zero rates and $2.3 trillion printing blitz have brought matters to an abrupt head for China.
Fed actions confronted Beijing with a Morton's Fork of ugly choices: revalue the yuan, or hang onto the mercantilist dollar peg and import a US monetary policy that is far too loose for a red-hot economy at the top of the cycle. Either choice erodes China's wage advantage. The Communist Party chose inflation.
Foreign exchange effects are subtle. They take a long to time play out as old plant slowly runs down, and fresh investment goes elsewhere. Yet you can see the damage to Europe from an over-strong euro in foreign direct investment (FDI) data.
Flows into the EU collapsed by 63p from 2007 to 2010 (UNCTAD data), and fell by 77pc in Italy. Flows into the US rose by 5pc.
Volkswagen is investing $4bn in America, led by its Chattanooga Passat plant. Korea's Samsung has begun a $20bn US investment blitz. Meanwhile, Intel, GM, and Caterpillar and other US firms are opting to stay at home rather than invest abroad.
Europe has only itself to blame for the current “hollowing out” of its industrial base. It craved its own reserve currency, without understanding how costly this “exorbitant burden” might prove to be.
China and the rising reserve powers have rotated a large chunk of their $10 trillion stash into EMU bonds to reduce their dollar weighting. The result is a euro too strong for half of EMU.
The European Central Bank has since made matters worse (for Italy, Spain, Portugal, and France) by keeping rates above those of the US, UK, and Japan. That has been a deliberate policy choice. It let real M1 deposits in Italy contract at a 7pc annual rate over the summer. May it live with the consequences.
The trade-weighted dollar has been sliding for a decade, falling 37pc since 2001. This roughly replicates the post-Plaza slide in the late 1980s, which was followed - with a lag - by 3pc of GDP shrinkage in the current account deficit. The US had a surplus by 1991.
Charles Dumas and Diana Choyleva from Lombard Street Research argue that this may happen again in their new book "The American Phoenix".
The switch in advantage to the US is relative. It does not imply a healthy US recovery. The global depression will grind on as much of the Western world tightens fiscal policy and slowly purges debt, and as China deflates its credit bubble.
Yet America retains a pack of trump cards, and not just in sixteen of the world’s top twenty universities.
It is almost the only economic power with a fertility rate above 2.0 - and therefore the ability to outgrow debt - in sharp contrast to the demographic decay awaiting Japan, China, Korea, Germany, Italy, and Russia.
Europe's EMU soap opera has shown why it matters that America is a genuine nation, forged by shared language and the ancestral chords of memory over two centuries, with institutions that ultimately work and a real central bank able to back-stop the system.
The 21st Century may be American after all, just like the last.

boutons_deux
10-24-2011, 09:28 AM
"on its way to self-sufficiency in fuel and energy"

A 100% improbability in 5 years. Great dream, but not in 5 years. (and Human-Americans will be paying for fracked-up water and land for decades)

Agloco
10-24-2011, 09:31 AM
The American phoenix is slowly rising again. Within five years or so, the US will be well on its way to self-sufficiency in fuel and energy. Manufacturing will have closed the labour gap with China in a clutch of key industries. The current account might even be in surplus.

Not sure what this is based on but I don't see that as a reality. Certainly not 5 years from now.

101A
10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Conservative living in Western Pa here. Marcellus shale fracking for natural gas.

It sucks; TOO much bad shit a result of this; they need to figure out how to clean it up.

cantthinkofanything
10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
"on its way to self-sufficiency in fuel and energy"

A 100% improbability in 5 years. Great dream, but not in 5 years. (and Human-Americans will be paying for fracked-up water and land for decades)

The article says "on its way". Not achieved self-sufficiency.

hater
10-24-2011, 09:52 AM
:lol within 5 years

admiralsnackbar
10-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Conservative living in Western Pa here. Marcellus shale fracking for natural gas.

It sucks; TOO much bad shit a result of this; they need to figure out how to clean it up.

Yep.

As much as I'd love all of the items in this article to come true, I just don't see it. I hate to say it, but the article also smacks of a PR agency work.

That the article leads off painting fracking as the magic carpet towards economic well-being before gushing over hypotheticals is only somewhat suspicious, but when the author puts it in terms of fracking providing 72% of US oil, I call BS.

It may be that fracking creates the equivalent of 72% of US consumption, but if people think that oil is staying in the US to keep manufacturing costs down instead of being sold on the open market to the highest bidder... Brooklyn bridges sold here.

Fracking enterprises know how bad the process is for surrounding water tables, but they are making too much money to want to quit. That's what PR is for.

CosmicCowboy
10-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Yep.

As much as I'd love all of the items in this article to come true, I just don't see it. I hate to say it, but the article also smacks of a PR agency work.

That the article leads off painting fracking as the magic carpet towards economic well-being before gushing over hypotheticals is only somewhat suspicious, but when the author puts it in terms of fracking providing 72% of US oil, I call BS.

It may be that fracking creates the equivalent of 72% of US consumption, but if people think that oil is staying in the US to keep manufacturing costs down instead of being sold on the open market to the highest bidder... Brooklyn bridges sold here.

Fracking enterprises know how bad the process is for surrounding water tables, but they are making too much money to want to quit. That's what PR is for.

I think the issue is that those billions currently getting sent to the middle east for oil stay home and contribute to economic health here. If you don't believe it, just check out all the towns off of Hwy 16 and IH 35 in south Texas that are exploding...

as for it being a fluff propoganda piece, the London Telegraph is a pretty well respected paper...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/8844646/World-power-swings-back-to-America.html

RandomGuy
10-24-2011, 10:20 AM
The US already meets 72pc of its own oil needs, up from around 50pc a decade ago.

US oil consumption: (2009)
18.9M bbl/day*365= 6.9bn bbl/year
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_con-energy-oil-consumption

US oil imports:
4.25bn bbl/year
http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=mttimus1&f=a

4.25/6.9 = 61%

61% net imports, as of 2009.

I have no idea where this guy is getting his figures, but they don't jibe with my understanding of our oil import situation, and what data is available.

boutons_deux
10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
China gonna keep cleaning USA's clock, with USA's complete complicity.

China Aims to Dominate U.S. in Smart Grid Investments Just As It Has With Renewables

China’s State Grid Corporation announced plans to invest $250 billion in electric power infrastructure upgrades over the next five years, of which $45 billion is earmarked for smart grid technologies. According to its three-stage plan, China will invest another $240 billion between 2016 and 2020 (including another $45 billion toward smart grid technologies) to complete the build-out of a “stronger, smarter” Chinese power grid.

When complete, this system will improve energy efficiency, lower carbon emissions, and give Chinese consumers more control over their utility bills. Chinese leaders are betting that upgrading to a smarter electricity grid will also drive technology innovation and move the country up the manufacturing value chain. The Chinese view smart grid technology as the next industrial revolution—and they want to make sure that once other countries start upgrading their own grids, they will buy most of their equipment from China.

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/10/24/351294/china-smart-grid/

===============

But but but "USA is broke", once again a feeble giant, wasting $Ts on expanding and maintaining its murderous empire, enriching the MIC. America is fucking insane.

That's what you get when you let the finance sector, UCA, Repugs "run" the country (into a ditch)

admiralsnackbar
10-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Point taken on the source.

I do somewhat take issue with the assertion that the money stays in the US in a meaningful way. Halliburton -- the biggest benefactor of fracking's spoils -- is headquartered in UAE.

I believe you when you say that the frack towns are booming, but all mining towns are like that until they're depleted -- it isn't sustainable growth unless the fracking enables a genuinely sustainable kind of enterprise -- which might be tough in the boonies. Just my 2c.

RandomGuy
10-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Hmm, 2010 saw US imports below 50%:

U.S. dependence on imported oil fell below 50 percent in 2010 for the first time in more than a decade, thanks in part to the weak economy and more fuel efficient vehicles, the Energy Department said on Wednesday

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/25/us-usa-oil-imports-idUSTRE74O78R20110525

Still not sure where the 72% comes from.

Those figures will likely plummet when the economy sputters back to life, and demand picks back up.

TDMVPDPOY
10-24-2011, 10:29 AM
I believe you when you say that the frack towns are booming, but all mining towns are like that until they're depleted -- it isn't sustainable growth unless the fracking enables a genuinely sustainable kind of enterprise -- which might be tough in the boonies. Just my 2c.

just like australia which is fueled by the china boom, as long they still demand for our minerals and theres plenty of it in the ground...the problem is the govt is wasting the revenue on shit, cant wait till china demands decreases or when the stuff in the ground is depleted, australia has nothing to offer to the world, we are not a specialtised in the world for anything :(

damn china using ur debt interest to fuel their economy, while germany is playin mind games in the EU with bad debt involvency countries slowly taking over their public assets and infrastructure....

RandomGuy
10-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Meanwhile, the China-US seesaw is about to swing the other way. Offshoring is out, 're-inshoring' is the new fashion.
"Made in America, Again" - a report this month by Boston Consulting Group - said Chinese wage inflation running at 16pc a year for a decade has closed much of the cost gap. China is no longer the "default location" for cheap plants supplying the US.
A "tipping point" is near in computers, electrical equipment, machinery, autos and motor parts, plastics and rubber, fabricated metals, and even furniture.
"A surprising amount of work that rushed to China over the past decade could soon start to come back," said BCG's Harold Sirkin.
The gap in "productivity-adjusted wages" will narrow from 22pc of US levels in 2005 to 43pc (61pc for the US South) by 2015. Add in shipping costs, reliability woes, technology piracy, and the advantage shifts back to the US.
The list of "repatriates" is growing. [list omitted]

Eyup.

The endless supply of cheap Chines labor has a limit after all, and inflation is sapping cost competitiveness more than they would like to admit.

The other intangibles, including the difficulty of doing direct investment, and other things mentioned here, will make a difference for US manufacturing in the medium-long run.

As for the rest of the article, I agree.

The doom and gloom about the decline of the US and rise of China has been way overhyped.

boutons_deux
10-24-2011, 10:41 AM
UCA will do well, they run the USA, but ...

Shocking, Graphic Data That Shows Exactly What Motivates the Occupy Movement

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/152811

========

UCA, financial sector, capitalists won't share any of the American wealth with the 95%. They will continue to suck the wealth out of all Human-Americans.

How can that be stopped? It can't.

TDMVPDPOY
10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
the 1-5% that holds 99% of the countrys wealth, how many of them clowns are politicians....

boutons_deux
10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
50%+ of Congress are millionaires, iow, the 1%.

CosmicCowboy
10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Don't we have enough fucking OWS threads without you dropping more turds in this one?

101A
10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Hmm, 2010 saw US imports below 50%:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/25/us-usa-oil-imports-idUSTRE74O78R20110525

Still not sure where the 72% comes from.

Those figures will likely plummet when the economy sputters back to life, and demand picks back up.

Could he be adding in Natural Gas?

Otherwise, I don't understand. Unless he's just lying.

TDMVPDPOY
10-24-2011, 12:03 PM
2012 needs to happen :D

ElNono
10-24-2011, 12:03 PM
China still has us by the balls in the manufacturing department. Not to mention that they lent us so much money, that if we swing back up, their bonds are going to appreciate accordingly too. We're not flipping that in 5 years.

Wild Cobra
10-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Not sure what this is based on but I don't see that as a reality. Certainly not 5 years from now.
Same here.

Wild Cobra
10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
50%+ of Congress are millionaires, iow, the 1%.
Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but isn't all of congress within that 1%?

Bouton's... I think you are thinking of the 0.1%.

boutons_deux
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
If you have $1M net worth, and annual income of $1M, you're a 1%er.

95%tile in salary is not far above $100K.

50% of workers make $26K or less.

Wild Cobra
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
If you have $1M net worth, and annual income of $1M, you're a 1%er.

95%tile in salary is not far above $100K.

50% of workers make $26K or less.
I don't know a current congressional members salary, but it is over $200k annual. I'm pretty sure that puts all of them in the 1%.

CavsSuperFan
10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Osama bin Laden, Muammar Gaddafi, troops out of Iraq and now the US Economy is growing leaps and bounds…Is there anything Obama can’t do?

Wild Cobra
10-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Osama bin Laden, Muammar Gaddafi, troops out of Iraq and now the US Economy is growing leaps and bounds…Is there anything Obama can’t do?
Jump buildings in a single bound... Stop a speeding bullet... etc.

He's not Superman you know.

RandomGuy
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Jump buildings in a single bound... Stop a speeding bullet... etc.

He's not Superman you know.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=589

http://spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=1643

cantthinkofanything
10-24-2011, 02:21 PM
ftp://ftp.eia.doe.gov/features/skinner1.pdf

U.S. dependence on imported oil** can be measured in
at least two ways. The differences hinge largely on
whether oil imports are defined as net imports (total
imports minus exports) or as total imports. EIA believes
that the net-imports definition gives a clearer indication
of the fraction of oil consumed that could not have been
supplied from domestic sources and is thus the most
appropriate measure. With this issue of the Monthly
Energy Review, the Energy Information Administration
(EIA) introduces a revised table that expresses dependence
on imports in terms of both measures.

RandomGuy
10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
ftp://ftp.eia.doe.gov/features/skinner1.pdf

U.S. dependence on imported oil** can be measured in
at least two ways. The differences hinge largely on
whether oil imports are defined as net imports (total
imports minus exports) or as total imports. EIA believes
that the net-imports definition gives a clearer indication
of the fraction of oil consumed that could not have been
supplied from domestic sources and is thus the most
appropriate measure. With this issue of the Monthly
Energy Review, the Energy Information Administration
(EIA) introduces a revised table that expresses dependence
on imports in terms of both measures.

Interesting bit. Always good to see what the people who study this stuff for a living have to say.

Thanks.

boutons_deux
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
anti=Keystone pipeliners are saying the pipeline to "foreign trade zone" Port Arthur TX has the US taking all the spill risk and countryside defacement and pollution, while a lot the oil products will be exported

http://ia.ita.doc.gov/ftzpage/tic.html