PDA

View Full Version : “That Lakers’ TV deal scared the hell out of everybody”

LkrFan
10-26-2011, 08:21 AM
When the Lakers agreed to a new local television deal worth several billion dollars last winter, it only further united their small-market competition in pressing for a makeover of both the revenue-sharing system and the split with the players.

“That Lakers’ TV deal scared the hell out of everybody,” one league official said. “Everyone thought there is no way to compete with that. Then everyone started thinking that it wasn’t fair that they didn’t have to share it with the teams they’re playing against.”

LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/32834/how-small-market-owners-took-control)

It's not fair!! :cry :cry :cry

Signed,
NBA Small Market Owners

:lmao

hater
10-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Giuseppe
10-26-2011, 09:30 AM
$3 Billion covers a lot of cap---hard or soft.

tee, hee.

pass1st
10-26-2011, 10:02 AM
LAL just making a profit , doubt it will mean a 200mil payroll

ElNono
10-26-2011, 10:44 AM
You know what the deal is? A lot of these teams are in the process to renegotiate their TV contracts, and in cases like LA and Boston, they're about to get equity in the TV station as part of the process. If that starts to become more common, good luck trying to figure out how much teams are actually getting on their TV deals.

It's not just small market owners, but the players/unions should be pretty concerned. They're about to hand the keys and it looks like they're about to get baited and switched.

Giuseppe
10-26-2011, 10:48 AM
^Let me check my thread to see if how you voted, El before I comment. Please hold....

Giuseppe
10-26-2011, 10:49 AM
El, with the goods.

DeadlyDynasty
10-26-2011, 10:51 AM

fify

DMC
10-26-2011, 11:10 AM
With a hard salary cap, it doesn't matter how much the franchise makes (the more the better). It should not effect the field based on payroll.

What will continue to skew the competition is sponsorships for athletes. When an athlete has to choose between a large market and a small one, the payroll being the same, the sponsorships will push the virtual payroll over the top in the large market.

Basically, NBA will always be fucked as long as players get to choose where they play.

Lesson: Don't start small market franchises if your goal is to win a championship. Sure it's been done, but it's more of an anomaly than a method.

TDMVPDPOY
10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
With a hard salary cap, it doesn't matter how much the franchise makes (the more the better). It should not effect the field based on payroll.

What will continue to skew the competition is sponsorships for athletes. When an athlete has to choose between a large market and a small one, the payroll being the same, the sponsorships will push the virtual payroll over the top in the large market.

Basically, NBA will always be fucked as long as players get to choose where they play.

Lesson: Don't start small market franchises if your goal is to win a championship. Sure it's been done, but it's more of an anomaly than a method.

PAUL ALLEN is thinkn of sellin the blazers, isnt this clown worth 16billion? heck the interest of dividends on this is enough to fund the blazers...is he really hurting that much?

pass1st
10-26-2011, 12:35 PM
If it's LakersTV would we get to blur out Oden's face and put in comical sounds like a tree falling when his knees give out mid-season?

Monostradamus
10-26-2011, 01:06 PM
With all the AIDS and rape flying around that franchise, that should be enough hush money for the next 3 years!

Booooooooooyakasha!

oShTJ90fC34

Spur_Fanatic
10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Awesome amount of money.

But any team facing the Lakers can simply ask for the game to not be shown if they in it, if they have no share on that pool of money, why should they?

Anyway, that money has no effect on the cap. At most, it can encourage the Lakers FO to pay more luxury money if need to be.

DMC
10-26-2011, 04:31 PM
PAUL ALLEN is thinkn of sellin the blazers, isnt this clown worth 16billion? heck the interest of dividends on this is enough to fund the blazers...is he really hurting that much?
Paul Allen didn't get rich by making flighty, careless financial moves.

Giuseppe
10-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Paul Allen didn't get rich by making flighty, careless financial moves.

Bonner & Dick living proof.

tee, hee.

DMC
10-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Awesome amount of money.

But any team facing the Lakers can simply ask for the game to not be shown if they in it, if they have no share on that pool of money, why should they?

Anyway, that money has no effect on the cap. At most, it can encourage the Lakers FO to pay more luxury money if need to be.
Any money that the NBA can make is good for the entire NBA. It might not lend itself to leveling the field, but let's be serious, how many of these owners are willing to do what it takes to win championships? There are a few, but the rest are just playing with their latest toy.

I have no sympathy for it.

PGDynasty24
10-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Awesome amount of money.

Using that logic shouldn't the Lakers ask for money from other teams TV deals since I most certainly know when they play the lakers they get more viewers.

pass1st
10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Using that logic shouldn't the Lakers ask for money from other teams TV deals since I most certainly know when they play the lakers they get more viewers.

QFT, people either want to see the Lakers play or lose most of the time. They fill in the house.

Spur_Fanatic
10-26-2011, 07:18 PM

I would not have stated it otherwise:
Lakers should get paid by other teams deals too.

LkrFan
10-26-2011, 08:05 PM
fify

:lol

LkrFan
10-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Psst!! Dumbass!! There will be no hard cap. :downspin:

DMC
10-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Psst!! Dumbass!! There will be no hard cap. :downspin:
Bend over, I'll give ya a fuckin' hard cap.

Giuseppe
10-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Bend over, I'll give ya a fuckin' hard cap.

lmemulatedao!!!

Venti Quattro
10-27-2011, 12:07 AM
fify

DeadlyDynasty... BANG!!!

DMC
10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
lmemulatedao!!!
It's just a going away gesture for ya. Your tour here is nearing it's completion, you're about to be rotated.

cheguevara
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
http://www.fearla.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/J.J..jpg

Giuseppe
10-27-2011, 02:37 PM
It's just a going away gesture for ya. Your tour here is nearing it's completion, you're about to be rotated.

- "Promises, promises."

- Ernie "The Cat" Ladd

ElNono
10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
- "Promises, promises."

- Ernie "The Cat" Ladd

"If it's anything less than wide open, you throw that damn thing into Lake Erie."

- Sam Rutigliano

Giuseppe
10-27-2011, 05:03 PM
lmcontrollinao!!!