PDA

View Full Version : Coca-Cola epic FAIL

lefty
10-27-2011, 12:58 PM
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Coke-changes-offers-millions-capress-2510785589.html

OK it's for a good cause :tu

But still

WTF

baseline bum
10-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Why is it a fail? Coke has had polar bears as a major part of their advertising for years.

Bender
10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
the only epic fail is this thread

lefty
10-27-2011, 01:17 PM

lefty
10-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Why is it a fail? Coke has had polar bears as a major part of their advertising for years.
I prefer red cans :cry

Drachen
10-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Um, great job Coke! Makes total sense too.

Isn't it coke that is making those carbon capturing billboards too?

edit: yep
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8bfZE_aHn48/TgtWAbhXvdI/AAAAAAAAB7I/0VND1Wil1Rs/s1600/coca_cola_billboard_size.jpg

PakiDan
10-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Because it looks very similar to the Diet Coke can.... I bet $$$ that sales drop while this promotion is on.

lefty
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8bfZE_aHn48/TgtWAbhXvdI/AAAAAAAAB7I/0VND1Wil1Rs/s1600/coca_cola_billboard_size.jpg
:lol

Landon Donofag
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Coke-changes-offers-millions-capress-2510785589.html

OK it's for a good cause :tu

But still

WTF
Epic FAILLLLL :lol:lol:rollin:rollin:lmao

C:lolKE

baseline bum
10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Because it looks very similar to the Diet Coke can.... I bet $$$ that sales drop while this promotion is on.

Can you even buy a can of coke by itself anymore in a store? What does it matter if they're wrapped in a big red 12-pack or 24-pack box when you buy it? They're not going to change their bottles, which is what virtually every individual coke you see for sale is packaged in. I think the only place I have bought a single can of coke since the 80s is in a vending machine, and you don't see the can until after you buy it then. This is just PR and an angle for their Christmas marketing where they always bring out the bears and Santa Claus.

PakiDan
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Can you even buy a can of coke by itself anymore in a store? What does it matter if they're wrapped in a big red 12-pack or 24-pack box when you buy it? They're not going to change their bottles, which is what virtually every individual coke you see for sale is packaged in. I think the only place I have bought a single can of coke since the 80s is in a vending machine, and you don't see the can until after you buy it then. This is just PR and an angle for their Christmas marketing where they always bring out the bears and Santa Claus.

Bet you 20 bucks that the boxes the cans come in is changed to white/silver too.

baseline bum
10-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Bet you 20 bucks that the boxes the cans come in is changed to white/silver too.

That would be ridiculously dumb if they did that. Who knows? Maybe they are morons.

MannyIsGod
10-27-2011, 03:10 PM

This type of marketing is whats known as Green Washing. Its mainly superficial and is done to give a company an environmentally friendly image at little cost. I'm not familiar with coke's practices, but an excellent example of shitty green washing trying to hiding a company's true actions si BP's logo.

http://logodesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bp_logo_823200753158am.jpg

Until people learn to be more discriminatory companies will be able to be superficially green and not actually make much of a positive impact (or have an actual substantial negative impact) and be perceived as environmentally friendly.

Like I said, I have no real knowledge of Coke's practices but don't assume some silly billboards and cans make Coke a clean company.

Drachen
10-27-2011, 03:26 PM
This type of marketing is whats known as Green Washing. Its mainly superficial and is done to give a company an environmentally friendly image at little cost. I'm not familiar with coke's practices, but an excellent example of shitty green washing trying to hiding a company's true actions si BP's logo.

http://logodesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bp_logo_823200753158am.jpg

Until people learn to be more discriminatory companies will be able to be superficially green and not actually make much of a positive impact (or have an actual substantial negative impact) and be perceived as environmentally friendly.

Like I said, I have no real knowledge of Coke's practices but don't assume some silly billboards and cans make Coke a clean company.

To be completely fair Manny, they BP was increasing their "green" activities when they started using that logo (buying windfarms, solar investments, etc), then their CEO got canned and they continued business as usual.

baseline bum
10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Green activities like the oil spills in Alaska or getting their workers killed in Texas City?

MannyIsGod
10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
To be completely fair, BP has never been a clean company and increasing holdings of clean energy while undertaking practices frowned upon industry wide does not make one a clean company.

The point was merely to illustrate how a few "green" actions don't make a company "green". You have to look at the sum of their actions. The point isn't to say company A is good or Company B is not (although BP really is fucking terrible :lol ) but rather just to have people be a bit more discriminatory instead of falling for such simple and shitty ad campaigns.

MannyIsGod
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Green activities like the oil spills in Alaska or getting their workers killed in Texas City?

The Frontline special that came out after the oil spill in the gulf on BP was great because they had so much shit with those two events and a general company practices that they didn't even have to talk more than 10 minutes about the Deep Water Horizon.

The Texas City explosion was especially bad.

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
It's amazing how that scene of a drowning polar bear in An Inconvenient Truth has tugged on the heartstrings of Americans:lol

I don't have an issue with their cause (who would?), but I agree with Manny that it's probably superficial.

CubanSucks
10-27-2011, 04:38 PM
good for Coke! Where would this world be without polar bears?!

4>0rings
10-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Can you even buy a can of coke by itself anymore in a store?
99% of corner stores and all drink vending machines.

Das Texan
10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I bet their sales rise.

Coke collectors will want them for their collectability.

People will continue to drink coke like they always have, at least in North America where this promotion is happening. I really dont think this is some horrible fail at all.

Unless they change the formula again, limited time promotions like this is not going to harm them.

DAF86
10-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Unless they change the formula they can start selling coke in wooden cans and they will be fine.

ChuckD
10-27-2011, 11:21 PM
tbh, the only fail Coca Cola has ever had was New Coke.

Brutalis
10-28-2011, 12:16 AM
They are a multi-billion dollar company and only pledge 2 million over 5 years?

They don't care about polar bears, lmao. This is just marketing.

BlackSwordsMan
10-28-2011, 12:17 AM
fuck those polar bears faggots

BlackSwordsMan
10-28-2011, 12:18 AM
amiright lefty

DMC
10-28-2011, 01:33 AM

DMC
10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Fact

Wild Cobra
10-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Agreed. Why in hell did they ever want it to taste like Pepsi?

baseline bum
10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Agreed. Why in hell did they ever want it to taste like Pepsi?

Because Pepsi was beating it in blind taste tests.

PakiDan
10-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I bet their sales rise.

Coke collectors will want them for their collectability.

People will continue to drink coke like they always have, at least in North America where this promotion is happening. I really dont think this is some horrible fail at all.

Unless they change the formula again, limited time promotions like this is not going to harm them.

My argument for sales falling is that some Coke drinkers will misidentify this new can as Diet Coke and not make a purchase.

DMC
10-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I took the blind taste test. They asked me which one was Pepsi. I told them. They wrote down my response.

DMC
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM
My argument for sales falling is that some Coke drinkers will misidentify this new can as Diet Coke and not make a purchase.
I doubt it. It would probably be packaged in the same red box. I don't know many who buy individual cans from stores or who by 6-packs. Cases are still identifiable.

A Coke drinker will find the right stuff. We won't stop looking.

Drachen
10-28-2011, 10:48 AM

You mean the ones that where you had an incentive to choose Pepsi? I remember taking those at splash town and choosing the nasty one so I could get a prize.

baseline bum
10-28-2011, 11:52 AM
You mean the ones that where you had an incentive to choose Pepsi? I remember taking those at splash town and choosing the nasty one so I could get a prize.

Hmm.... I thought it was winning in internal testing Coke was doing too. Otherwise, why would they panic and try to clone Pepsi? I think where coke screwed up was in their marketing; had they kept the same can and not called it "New" Coke it would have probably been a huge success.

Wild Cobra
10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Buy that's stupid. People liked one over the other because if their differences.

Bender
10-30-2011, 07:39 AM
I think where coke screwed up was in their marketing; had they kept the same can and not called it "New" Coke it would have probably been a huge success.
yep. When people are used to a product for so many years... when they see the word "New" they are automatically against it.

But that's stupid. People liked one over the other because if their differences.
I think I also remember reading back at the time, that another reason was that Pepsi was closing the sales gap on Coke somewhat.

scott
10-30-2011, 09:07 AM
I think it's a pretty sweet looking new can, but if I were from Algeria I'd probably automatically assume it was a fail too.

Johnson
12-01-2011, 06:42 PM
good call:

new can fail (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-frosty-reception-for-coca-cola-s-white-christmas-cans.html)

Bill_Brasky
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Nope, bought some today and it was a red box with silver cans.

Ill take that $20 now.

DMC
12-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm drinking one now. I did have to get around "it's not diet coke" for a while, because I hate diet anything, but I got over it.

Spurminator
12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Some consumers complained that it looked confusingly similar to Diet Coke's silver cans. Others felt that regular Coke tasted different in the white cans. Still others argued that messing with red bordered on sacrilege.

The worst thing a marketer for a major company can do is assume that most of his target audience is not made up of idiots.

Leetonidas
12-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I saw these at the store the other day and thought of this thread, and yes at first I thought they were Diet Cokes too. Epic fail on Coca-Cola's part because most people in the country are retards who wouldn't give it a second glance.

DMC
12-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I saw these at the store the other day and thought of this thread, and yes at first I thought they were Diet Cokes too. Epic fail on Coca-Cola's part because most people in the country are retards who wouldn't give it a second glance.
Except for the fact that people aren't out impulse buying Cokes. They are there looking for them.

Frenzy
12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
yep. When people are used to a product for so many years... when they see the word "New" they are automatically against it.

I think I also remember reading back at the time, that another reason was that Pepsi was closing the sales gap on Coke somewhat.

Example. New generation.

hater
12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
:lol coke

:lol lefty

:lol apple

hater
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
The worst thing a marketer for a major company can do is assume that most of his target audience is not made up of idiots.

that is why Apple is so good at marketing :lol