PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated player in your team's history?

pass1st
10-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Our teams all got underdogs, people who do small things that go unnoticed. They never get their props, but get the job done.

For LAL Michael Cooper comes to mind. He was one of the best defensive players around at the time.

Kyle Orton
10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
On this recent champ team I'd have to go with Lincoln.

Marion has been pretty underrated in his time here with Dallas. Van exel in his days here would just drop 20-25 points on random nights when the big guns were struggling IMHO.

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Coop
Brian Shaw

and I know I'll catch flak for this, but Odom.

Horry wasn't underrated to Laker fans...Big Shot Rob was a fan-favorite. Fisher may be underrated by some Laker fans too...

ElNono
10-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Bowen

baseline bum
10-27-2011, 03:29 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/09/nba_g_bowen_600_01.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
true, not enough credit is given to Bowen's roundhouse kicks to the face

stretch
10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Dennis Rodman

baseline bum
10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
true, not enough credit is given to Bowen's roundhouse kicks to the face

You didn't want to kick Szczerbiak in the face every time he stepped on the floor?

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 03:39 PM
You didn't want to kick Szczerbiak in the face every time he stepped on the floor?

tou-che, salesman:lol

lefty
10-27-2011, 03:47 PM
:lol

lefty
10-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Willie Anderson :D

TimmehC
10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/09/nba_g_bowen_600_01.jpg

This. F you, Dick Jefferson.

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Mike Penberthy

lefty
10-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Bowen wasnt underrated IMHO

Everybody knows what he brought to the table

Giuseppe
10-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Brian Shaw

True. But, you can't trust Odom. You could always trust Shaw.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Kurt Thomas

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-27-2011, 04:45 PM
And yeah after the Spurs elite defense went to complete shit the minute Bowen left pretty much everyone knows how important he was. I wouldn't say he's underrated at all anymore.

At least for the '05 Spurs, Brent Barry still is by far the most underrated player on that team.

Kyle Orton
10-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Tim Thomas tbh. That black male was a good backup for dirk and was reliable iirc

:lol shitting on the cavs that Sunday day game that dirk was suspended for

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I fucking hate Tim Thomas. They were one goddamn rebound away from the Battle of Los Angeles.:bang

Giuseppe
10-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I fucking hate Tim Thomas. They were one goddamn rebound away from the Battle of Los Angeles.:bang

Yep. Only '84 was worse.

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Yep. Only '84 was worse.

I was only 1 y/o in '84, but Game 4 2008 was by far the worst b-ball memory for me.

Giuseppe
10-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Game 4 2008 was by far the worst b-ball memory.

Honestly? I could see it comin' that night. That was Kobe's fault. It was up to him to stop that hemorage. He just failed that night.

I hated that '84 Boston team though. With a passion.

It was never personal with me and the '08 Celtic team.

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Honestly? I could see it comin' that night. That was Kobe's fault. It was up to him to stop that hemorage. He just failed that night.

I hated that '84 Boston team though. With a passion.

It was never personal with me and the '08 Celtic team.

No, I definitely did not see them blowing a 24-point lead at home when they hadn't lost a home playoff game up to that point.

In hindsight it's easy to say the Lakers were overmatched (especially in the frontcourt), but at the time LA looked great going into the Finals and Boston had struggled with lesser teams. People also forget that the Lakers were favored in the first 5 games of that series.

Game 1 they let get away, PP's diva bullshit aside.
Game 2 they had scrubs like Leon Powe go ham on Pau and the frontcourt, but LA made a furious comeback and almost pulled it out. When they won Game 3 and then took the huge lead in Game 4 I felt that LA had awoken from their sleep, and were ready to take care of shit. Then it happened. Just a sickening, putrid feeling.

The 60's, 84, 85, 87, 08, or 10...it doesn't matter Cub, it's always personal with the C's.

m>s
10-27-2011, 07:58 PM
while TD/Manu/parker took the most credit for their 3 championship runs in 5 years, bowen was also quite a key role of that team imho. bowen started to decline real fast following their 07' championship winning year and the spurs never won it again from then on. nigga was quite a pro in D he could lock down any scorer imho

Nathan89
10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
We couldn't compete after Stern sent Pau to LA.

Giuseppe
10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
We couldn't compete after Stern sent Pau to LA.

& Pau couldn't a win a single playoff game till Stern sent him to Kobe.

DeadlyDynasty
10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
We're almost 4 years removed from the Gasol trade and Nathan is still a quivering, sobbing mess over it :lol

Venti Quattro
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM
We're almost 4 years removed from the Gasol trade and Nathan is still a quivering, sobbing mess over it :lol

LA has been swept and dethroned for fuck's sake :lol

lol can't let go

Killakobe81
10-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Coop
Brian Shaw

Horry wasn't underrated to Laker fans...Big Shot Rob was a fan-favorite. Fisher may be underrated by some Laker fans too...

Agreed.

1. Coop
2. Dfish
3. AC Green
4. Ariza (2009 version)
5. Brian Shaw

Agree, horry was beloved by Laker fans. Fisher is too but he has a strong coningent of haters ...even BEFORE he got old ...

Venti Quattro
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't agree at the notion that Fisher is underrated. He was regarded as valuable when he was, and is now regarded as trash because he is.

Coop, Brian Shaw come to mind. Also, :lol SLAVAAAAAAAAA

LnGrrrR
10-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Not sure if he's "underrated" but I was always partial to Dee Brown.

DeadlyDynasty
10-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Not sure if he's "underrated" but I was always partial to Dee Brown.

Him and Parish on NBA Jam:lol

Mourning and LJ on the Hornets was my favorite team to play with :tu

nevitt_&_smrek
10-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Despite his retired jersey, I'd say Gail Goodrich is a strong candidate. Or Jamaal Wilkes.

baseline bum
10-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Despite his retired jersey, I'd say Gail Goodrich is a strong candidate. Or Jamaal Wilkes.

Byron Scott should be on that list too. He was awesome in the late 80s.

hitmanyr2k
10-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Ron Harper...very underrated defensively.

nevitt_&_smrek
10-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Bowen

Digging deep into the memory bank, trying to avoid any online sources. Willie Anderson was a solid wing guy for the Spurs. I remember Cummings played well too.

DeadlyDynasty
10-28-2011, 12:21 AM
^
Paxson for the first 3-peat, Kerr for the next. Show some love to the whiteboys

hitmanyr2k
10-28-2011, 12:24 AM
^
Paxson for the first 3-peat, Kerr for the next. Show some love to the whiteboys

Paxson was my 2nd favorite player behind Pippen on the first 3peat. Great shot, but like Kerr, he was a defensive liability. I'm a big fan of defense.

JamStone
10-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Probably Bill Laimbeer for me. Not by Pistons fans, but in general.

Not like he's an unknown. But I think he's more known for being the main "Bad Boy" of those Pistons teams. Don't think people realize he won a rebounding title or that he made 4 all star teams. During that mid 80s run, he was putting up around 17/12 for like 4-5 straight seasons. Lamb wasn't just a thug goon who got into fights with Bird and Parish. He was actually a really good shooter for a center and a pretty standout defender.

In more recent years, even though he only played for a couple season with the Pistons, I'd say Cliff Robinson. He was already in his mid 30s, but that was a couple years after Grant Hill left and right before they put together their championship core. Cliff Robinson and his ability to defend the post allowed Ben Wallace to be more of a help defender and was a big reason why the Pistons took the step from a 32-50 team to a 50-32 team in Cliff's first season with Detroit. I think Cliff is actually a really underrated player in general. Great, versatile defender. Played all 3 front court positions, could shoot the 3, and was a really versatile team player. Actually was a lot like Rasheed in many respects.

DeadlyDynasty
10-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Jam, no love for the Microwave?

nevitt_&_smrek
10-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Probably Bill Laimbeer for me. Not by Pistons fans, but in general.

Not like he's an unknown. But I think he's more known for being the main "Bad Boy" of those Pistons teams. Don't think people realize he won a rebounding title or that he made 4 all star teams. During that mid 80s run, he was putting up around 17/12 for like 4-5 straight seasons. Lamb wasn't just a thug goon who got into fights with Bird and Parish. He was actually a really good shooter for a center and a pretty standout defender.

True, Laimbeer wasn't just some unskilled goon. He's a guy that you'd probably love if he were on your team. He could really stick those outside jumpers and be depended on to make FTs at the end of games.

JamStone
10-28-2011, 12:30 AM
I think Laimbeer is often remembered as basically a goon and a goon only. He was actually a really, really good player. I think Vinnie is remembered and perceived the way he should be, a dynamic and clutch scorer who could put up a bunch of points in a hurry. He's often regarded as one of the best 6th man scorers. I don't think he's underrated. I think Bill is. But that's just what I think though. Who knows if that's accurate.

nevitt_&_smrek
10-28-2011, 12:38 AM
I think Laimbeer is often remembered as basically a goon and a goon only. He was actually a really, really good player. I think Vinnie is remembered and perceived the way he should be, a dynamic and clutch scorer who could put up a bunch of points in a hurry. He's often regarded as one of the best 6th man scorers. I don't think he's underrated. I think Bill is. But that's just what I think though. Who knows if that's accurate.

Generally, people like guards more than bigs, and Vinnie had a cool nickname. Laimbeer - he should be remembered for more than the usual. But when you are going up against teams in three of the more important media outlets (CHI, LA, BOS), it's tough to get nice things written about you. They won't appreciate the physical play against their teams.

Leetonidas
10-28-2011, 12:51 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/325/591/2099738_crop_340x234.jpg

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Gilmore,%20Brian/brentbarry2_v1000.standard.jpg

LnGrrrR
10-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Him and Parish on NBA Jam:lol

Mourning and LJ on the Hornets was my favorite team to play with :tu

The no look dunk on NBA Jam always kicked ass :lol

JoeTait75
10-28-2011, 07:04 AM
People today only remember Craig Ehlo for being repeatedly shat on by Michael Jordan. But in reality he was a very good all-around player who raised his game in the clutch. He hit a lot of big shots for those Cavaliers teams. And he was terrific in Game 5 of the '89 series against Chicago- 15 points in the fourth quarter while playing on one leg.

Killakobe81
10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Byron Scott should be on that list too. He was awesome in the late 80s.

thought about him, not sure he was vastly underrated. Slightly? yes. I remember how frustrated some Lakers fans were because he was "too inconsistent" ...but if Scott was in his prime today maybe only Ray allen, dirk, and steph wold be considered better shooters ...

On 2nd thought I agree Scott should be on that list over Ariza or Green my bad. :toast

Amuseddaysleeper
10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Manu Ginobili.

FkLA
10-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Malik Rose

nigga would body up Shaq one series and stick Dirk the next, developed an offensive game but kept the hustle...only negative was his butterfingers :lol

DMC
10-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Tim Duncan is the most underrated player in Spurs history. He's not underrated by Spurs fans, but the media pretty much ignores his contributions. He's the reason the Spurs went from 0 to 4 rings. There are contributing factors, but Duncan is the main reason. Sure he gets kudos from writers who cannot deny his greatness, but he's far and away better than anyone else who played during that time period and yet you hear names like Lebron and Wade and Kobe.

I dare to say that there would not be a Spurstalk without Tim Duncan, he's that important.

"Over the past 10 years, he's been overshadowed by Kobe and Shaq, LeBron and Wade, Nash and Kidd, Nowitzki and KG, even C-Webb and Iverson ... and yet, Tim Duncan was better than all of them." -Bill Simmons

DMC
10-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Manu Ginobili.
I don't think Manu is that underrated. He gets a shit load of kudos from around the world. When ESPN runs "Who is the Next Ginobili?", you know he's not being ignored.

Killakobe81
10-28-2011, 10:23 AM

I agre 100% I was looking at some numbers for Bill (which I dont normally do) and waswas one of the best rebounders of his era. I remember him being tough, a good big man shooter, and OOD rebounder but in the early 80's at times he was one of the best.

Sure he was an asshole, and the Parish beatdown was comedy, but vey underrated.

Side note: 2k12 does a good job of capturing Bad Boy Bill ...i had "flashbacks" LOL

Killakobe81
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Shit If Billwas in his prime today he would struggle a bit due to the athleticism (as far as help defense) but he would probably be the 2nd best center. In the 80's he had to deal with Kareem, Moses, Hakeem Parish and later on Ewing and Robinson ...

Girasuck
10-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Jeff Hornacek was somewhat underrated, but I'm saying Greg Ostertag. Watching our interior defense over the past 6 years makes me want Tag back in the middle. For all the crap Ostertag received, he's been our second best interior defensive player in the 30 years the Jazz have been in Utah.

hitmanyr2k
10-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Generally, people like guards more than bigs, and Vinnie had a cool nickname. Laimbeer - he should be remembered for more than the usual. But when you are going up against teams in three of the more important media outlets (CHI, LA, BOS), it's tough to get nice things written about you. They won't appreciate the physical play against their teams.

It wasn't just Laimbeer's physical play. He was the Vlade Divac of his era when it came to flopping. I wouldn't be surprised if Vlade's flopping was inspired by Laimbeer. No one liked that shit back then and was a big reason why he was hated.

Trill Clinton
10-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Matt Bonner

midnightpulp
10-28-2011, 12:03 PM
People today only remember Craig Ehlo for being repeatedly shat on by Michael Jordan. But in reality he was a very good all-around player who raised his game in the clutch. He hit a lot of big shots for those Cavaliers teams. And he was terrific in Game 5 of the '89 series against Chicago- 15 points in the fourth quarter while playing on one leg.

Yeah, Ehlo scored the last 5 Cleveland points in that game.

Xylus
10-28-2011, 06:44 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AX5Yns1FtBU/TfK4xu5Z6-I/AAAAAAAAACU/bkvOvadgvCE/s1600/GrantHill_bg.jpg

At least in recent history. His defense the last couple of years can't be understated. Easily one of the best one-on-one defenders the Suns have ever had. And he's turning 53 next year.