PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest trade your team has made?

pass1st
10-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Teams make stupid trades regularly, some more than others.

I would probably say the Shaq trade for LAL. I know he had to go, but we really didn't get too much out of him.

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Just Odom. 2 titles and the cream from Daddy.

DesignatedT
10-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Divac for Bean

JamStone
10-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson and cap space that ultimately was used for Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva...

Dex
10-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto, and Kurt Thomas for Richard Jefferson. Even I was stoked about it at the time, but in hindsight, we gave up Spurs Defense for Dick.

mavsfan1000
10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Harris and Diop and picks for Kidd.

JoeTait75
10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
1982 first round pick (turned out to be #1 overall) to the Lake Show for what turned out to be James Worthy. Cavaliers go 15-67, no first-round pick. L.A. wins the title, gets the top pick in the draft. That's why the Cavaliers are the Cavaliers and the Lake Show is the Lake Show. Among other reasons.

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto, and Kurt Thomas for Richard Jefferson.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

"Luva!!! Come here and look. Hurry!"

mavs>spurs
10-28-2011, 12:03 PM

go dildo yourself in the ass with the barrel of a mossberg, then pull the trigger

baseline bum
10-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto, and Kurt Thomas for Richard Jefferson. Even I was stoked about it at the time, but in hindsight, we gave up Spurs Defense for Dick.

Pop (idiotically) quit playing Bowen in 08-09 anways, so he was gone, and that trade was essentially equivalent to just signing him. No one really predicted how badly Dick sucked, and it was a reasonable move to make at the time (of course they should have also signed Bowen on top of it). The stupid move was giving him the four year contract after a year of spectacular failure on his part.

I'm going to go with Brickowski for Pressey as the Spurs worst deal, though the first rounder for Charles Smith was pretty bad too, considering how long he counted against the team's salary cap. I can't think of too many bad trades the Spurs have done. Most of their regrets would have to come from free agency: e.g., losing Strickland, losing Stephen Jackson, signing Rasho, giving big extensions to Malik and Dick, etc.

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 12:21 PM
losing Stephen Jackson

That's the one.

He is a guy that is consciousless. It helps come June.

stretch
10-28-2011, 12:23 PM

apparently you forgot Raef Lafrentz for Antoine Walker

mavsfan1000
10-28-2011, 12:24 PM
go dildo yourself in the ass with the barrel of a mossberg, then pull the trigger
Kidd is overrated. It was Chandler and Marion that made the difference. Way better than Dampier and Howard.

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Kidd is overrated. It was Chandler and Marion that made the difference. Way better than Dampier and Howard.

Don't forget Barea. Everybody and their sister wanted him gone. Cept Cubby. Only me.

midnightpulp
10-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Don't forget Barea. Everybody and their sister wanted him gone. Cept Cubby. Only me.

Since the Lakers rarely make bad trades, tell us about some of the more infamous trades the Cleveland Indians have made.

I mean, WHAT THE FUCK?!?

In 1977, pitcher Dennis Eckersley threw a no-hitter against the California Angels. The next season, he would be dealt to the Boston Red Sox where he won 20 games in 1978 and another 17 in 1979.

BlackSwordsMan
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Giving scola away for a hand job and a promise that they'll click like on our facebook

Dex
10-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Pop (idiotically) quit playing Bowen in 08-09 anways, so he was gone, and that trade was essentially equivalent to just signing him. No one really predicted how badly Dick sucked, and it was a reasonable move to make at the time (of course they should have also signed Bowen on top of it). The stupid move was giving him the four year contract after a year of spectacular failure on his part.

This is true, but the principle still digs at me. Pop apparently thought it was his defensive schemes, and not Bowen's defensive talent, that made the Spurs tick, so he started going away from Bowen for more offense (like Udoka and an ancient Finley was really going to provide that). That's really when Spurs defense started to fade. Oberto's time was pretty much up at that point, as well. Thomas was old, but he was still a serviceable big, and probably better defensively than anybody the Spurs currently have outside of Duncan.

Still, just the idea of Pop trading away three players who were, in their time, defensive stalwarts for a guy who has been nothing but a scar on the organization...ugh.

Dex
10-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Giving scola away for a hand job and a promise that they'll click like on our facebook

Wow, can't believe I forgot about Scola. :bang

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Since the Lakers rarely make bad trades, tell us about some of the more infamous trades the Cleveland Indians have made.

The Colavito trade goin' '60.
The Colavito trade comin' '65.

& then we'd always get guys AFTER they were no good anymore. Just names then to goose the gate a little. But, when you're 10-15 years old you don't give a shit.

BlackSwordsMan
10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Lakers skipping on Duncan to sign a rapist

midnightpulp
10-28-2011, 12:40 PM
The Colavito trade goin' '60.
The Colavito trade comin' '65.

& then we'd always get guys AFTER they were no good anymore. Just names then to goose the gate a little. But, when you're 10-15 years old you don't give a shit.

Ever go to Ten Cent Beer Night?

The 1970s also featured the infamous Ten Cent Beer Night at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. The ill-conceived promotion at a 1974 game against the Texas Rangers ended in a riot by fans and a forfeit by the Indians.[57]

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 12:45 PM

The 1970s also featured the infamous Ten Cent Beer Night at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. The ill-conceived promotion at a 1974 game against the Texas Rangers ended in a riot by fans and a forfeit by the Indians.[57]

I was in the deep bush then. Mekong Delta. Fightin' zipperheads.

TimmehC
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Giving away Scola. The RJ deal wasn't that bad, considering all the guys we sent to Milwaukee are retired now.

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Giving away Scola. The RJ deal wasn't that bad, considering all the guys we sent to Milwaukee are retired now.

Yer fortunate. The Scola Fiasco is never held against Pop. It's a forbidden topic. Hell, even here it's not dwelled upon like it should be.

JoeTait75
10-28-2011, 12:54 PM

My uncle was there. He left in the third inning.

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 12:57 PM
My uncle was there. He left in the third inning.

Then the time in like '75? when they dropped the baseball off the observation deck close to the top of the Terminal Tower and was going to have Ray Fosse catch the damn thing.:lol

JoeTait75
10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Ted Stepien dropped several softballs off the Terminal Tower in 1980 or '81. One of them hit a woman and broke her forearm. He had to pay her $35,000 or somewhere in that neighborhood.

benefactor
10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
The RJ trade itself wasn't really that bad...it's the re-signing of RJ that is unforgivable.

From a what you gave up/what you got standpoint, the Scola trade wins in a landslide.

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Ted Stepien dropped several softballs off the Terminal Tower in 1980 or '81. One of them hit a woman and broke her forearm. He had to pay her $35,000 or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Fosse let his bounce twice before he caught it.:lol

Leetonidas
10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Jackie Butler and Luis Scola for Greek Faggot

baseline bum
10-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Yeah shit, I blocked that one out of my mind it was so bad. That's easily the worst trade in franchise history. :pctoss

lefty
10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Utah Jazz trade Dominique Wilkins to ATL for some dudes :lol

Atlanta Hawks trade Dominique Wilkins during what was arguably their best season, for playoff faggot Manning :lol

Oh and yeah, on draft day :lol :

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/albumpicture.php?albumid=1985&pictureid=16162

ElNono
10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Scola for cap space to sign Bonner for the same money... :pctoss

Seventyniner
10-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes, Scola by far for the Spurs. If the Spurs had kept Scola, they could easily have at least made the Finals in '08 and wouldn't have had to panic-trade for RJ. Damn snowball effect...

Giuseppe
10-28-2011, 02:11 PM
...yep, Scola was a perfect fit for the Spurs...in the Manu template.

MaNu4Tres
10-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Scola for cap space to sign Bonner for the same money... :pctoss

Jodelo
10-29-2011, 06:07 AM

Mavs donīt win without Kidd, idiot!

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 07:37 AM
^You're fortunate Kidd beat the shit out of his wife. Otherwise, he'd still be here, and you'd be SOL.

Jodelo
10-29-2011, 07:39 AM
^You're fortunate Kidd beat the shit out of his wife. Otherwise, he'd still be here, and you'd be SOL.

:sleep

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 07:54 AM
^:lmao:lmao:lmao

Jodelo
10-29-2011, 08:40 AM

Took my trend...

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 09:55 AM

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Mavs donīt win without Kidd, idiot!
What did Kidd do that was so important that Harris couldn't have done? It is still a fact this team initially declined drastically after the trade for Kidd. It took a few trades to bring them back. Some stubborn sob's can't seem to grasp that concept. Cuban built a great team but that one trade was the worst I've seen. The trade for Walker was pretty bad as well.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 10:13 AM
What did Kidd do that was so important that Harris couldn't have done?

Ring.

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Ring.
So Harris got to play with Chandler, Marion, Stevenson, and Haywood?

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 10:34 AM
So Harris got to play with Chandler, Marion, Stevenson, and Haywood?

You're being specious & apologetic, Thou. You won. Harris had his chance, many chances. I too was on his side. On Howard's side. On "that" side. They failed, chronologically. That's life.

You'd better grow the fuck up and act like somebody. It's been over 5 months and your people still refuse to be Champion....at least here on these Boards. Perhaps somewhere else, some other Board you're representive. But, not here. Here, you're a gd disgrace.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 10:34 AM
What did Kidd do that was so important that Harris couldn't have done?
Lock down Kobe Bryant

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Lock down Kobe Bryant

Bend over. I'll fuckin' lock down.

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 10:43 AM
You're being specious & apologetic, Thou. You won. Harris had his chance, many chances. I too was on his side. On Howard's side. On "that" side. They failed, chronologically. That's life.

You'd better grow the fuck up and act like somebody. It's been over 5 months and your people still refuse to be Champion....at least here on these Boards. Perhaps somewhere else, some other Board you're representive. But, not here. Here, you're a gd disgrace.
You act like Kidd was a key part of our success. We failed with Kidd miserably with the lineup Harris did pretty well with. That is the only way you can compare the 2. How they did with similar talent. Thus, that trade didn't do what we wanted. But the Chandler trade was brilliant as well as Marion, Stevenson, and Butler. I don't get the controversy here. Kidd sucked with the same lineup Harris had to work with. I'm not 100% sure we ring with Harris but it looks good on paper.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 10:47 AM
If you still think the Kidd trade was bad for Dallas, you are all kinds of retarded. Idk what else to really say, no one thinks that was a bad trade. Devin Harris and the 50 games he plays every year had one great season in 2009 and has been irrelevant since then.

Dallas was imploding when they brought Kidd in, it's not like he fucked up a great thing.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Bend over. I'll fuckin' lock down.
Audit my dick, bitch!

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
You act like Kidd was a key part of our success. We failed with Kidd miserably with the lineup Harris did pretty well with. That is the only way you can compare the 2. How they did with similar talent. Thus, that trade didn't do what we wanted. But the Chandler trade was brilliant as well as Marion, Stevenson, and Butler. I don't get the controversy here. Kidd sucked with the same lineup Harris had to work with. I'm not 100% sure we ring with Harris but it looks good on paper.

You don't compare them in the light of your Championship. That event cuts the bridge to the "Harris's & Howard's." It's sad, I admit. I personally thought you couldn't win without those two. I lamented their absence. But, they were in reality part of the problem, not the solution. They failed time & again. Unlike Pop with his Bonner and his RJ--Cuban saw the error of his ways and cut the bridge, and came out on the other side. That's what happened. You don't have to apologize or live in regret. You didn't walk away the lone survivor of a plane crash. You won an NBA Championship after decades, fucking decades of abuse, denial and utter failure. You have to permit it to leave your head and enter your heart. Until you do that, you're missing it.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
^The fact you truly believe that and take everything about the NBA as seriously as you take that post is really pathetic tbh

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Audit my dick, bitch!

Okay, twink, let's meet this afternoon. Any Motel 6 of your choosing. I'll bring the "balloons"...you bring the Jergens & lunch.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 11:01 AM
^The fact you truly believe that and take everything about the NBA as seriously as you take that post is really pathetic tbh

You're O & 43. You're innately ignorant. If you rang, you'd do exactly what Mav's Fan have failed to do. Your predicament is keenly aligned with their predicament, prior to this past June. You'd come home to the Suns. Like you have forsaken the Suns, a goodly portion of these Mavs guys forsaked the Mavs this past Spring and now they feel queer about coming home. Nonsense. Everybody strays, cept maybe Celtic Fan. Everybody else strays, if not physically, then mentally and most assuredly emotionally. There is no shame in that. And there is no shame in coming home when Pappy says so. And Pappy (in this case Cuban, Kidd, et al) says so.

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 11:02 AM
You don't compare them in the light of your Championship. That event cuts the bridge to the "Harris's & Howard's." It's sad, I admit. I personally thought you couldn't win without those two. I lamented their absence. But, they were in reality part of the problem, not the solution. They failed time & again. Unlike Pop with his Bonner and his RJ--Cuban saw the error of his ways and cut the bridge, and came out on the other side. That's what happened. You don't have to apologize or live in regret. You didn't walk away the lone survivor of a plane crash. You won an NBA Championship after decades, fucking decades of abuse, denial and utter failure. You have to permit it to leave your head and enter your heart. Until you do that, you're missing it.
Winning a championship is like sweeping all the dirt under the bed. Just because you won doesn't mean everyone made your team better. It just means they did enough to avoid defeat. Kidd was rather neutral in the playoffs while everyone else put us over the top. Chandler being the beast that we never had as a center. Haywood being the best backup center we ever had. And you are right about Howard. He turned out to be a headcase.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 11:03 AM
You're O & 43. You're innately ignorant. If you rang, you'd do exactly what Mav's Fan have failed to do. Your predicament is keenly aligned with their predicament, prior to this past June. You'd come home to the Suns. Like you have forsaken the Suns, a goodly portion of these Mavs guys forsaked the Mavs this past Spring and now they feel queer about coming home. Nonsense. Everybody strays, cept maybe Celtic Fan. Everybody else strays, if not physically, then mentally and most assuredly emotionally. There is no shame in that. And there is no shame in coming home when Pappy says so. And Pappy (in this case Cuban, Kidd, et al) says so.
If the Suns ring, I'll have as many NBA championships as I do right now. None.

The difference is, the Lakers are seriously the only bright spot in your life. You need to live through them or your life is even more empty.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Winning a championship is like sweeping all the dirt under the bed.

There is nothing else. The dirt will always be under there. All the regrets=Donald Carter's white cowboy hat. The broken promise of Tarpley. The catastrophe of '06. The belief in Howard and his cowardice in your belief. The false positive of Harris. All of it.

You wanted it clean & proper & upright with Harris and Howard not succumbing to failure. Instead you got it because Nowitski at 15 down did not go quietly. Instead he took every single soul with him. You got it because mongrels like Stevenson and Barea were close enough to the Bryant's and Wade's and LeBron's. And you know what else? The Stevenson's and Barea's fucking knew it. How did they know that? Because Carlisle and Cuban told them they were.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 11:14 AM
If the Suns ring, I'll have as many NBA championships as I do right now. None.

BS. You'll come home.

& I won't grudge it.

It's my religion.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 11:19 AM
If the Suns win a championship, I won't be able to put "NBA Champion" on my resume for jobs I apply for.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 11:20 AM
If the Suns win a championship, I won't be able to put "NBA Champion" on my resume for jobs I apply for.

Right. You'll keep it closer than "that job." You'll take it to the grave.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I'll get trashed and celebrate it for a few weeks. Then, just like all the players do, I'll move on.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I'll get trashed and celebrate it for a few weeks. Then, just like all the players do, I'll move on.

Of course. It'll rest in your heart then....and you'll say to yourself:::"that old fuck Cubby was right afterall." & you'll be proud & good.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 11:33 AM
It depends. If they win a championship with Sarver as the owner, I honest to god can't see myself being happy with that man holding up the O'brien trophy. Colangelo was a shit owner but his heart was in the right place and he was just too gd stupid to get the team where it needed to be, Sarver winning a championship would be someone winning something he doesn't deserve.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 11:44 AM
It depends. If they win a championship with Sarver as the owner, I honest to god can't see myself being happy with that man holding up the O'brien trophy. Colangelo was a shit owner but his heart was in the right place and he was just too gd stupid to get the team where it needed to be, Sarver winning a championship would be someone winning something he doesn't deserve.

Nonsense. You're young & "spoiled." If they ring next June, you'd be 100% immersed in it. Not here because you'd be embarassed in front of me and your fellows. But, you'd go to another situation and be Champion in the finest traditions. Here? Here you'd act reserved, distant and dignified while flipping back & forth to where you'd be raising Hell, honest & Champion.

Ain't nothin' wrong with that. The only thing that truly matters is making the playoffs & winning the last game you play. There is nothing else.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Maybe, but I don't see myself ever cheering for the Steve Nash/Robert Sarver combo again (largely because it's never going to win a championship). I've gotten so sick of it.

As for the actually question in this thread, the Dennis Johnson trade is easily the worst Suns trade of all time. Classic example of Colangelo dismantling a team before ever giving it a real chance. The 1983 Suns won 53 games and were upset in the 1st round largely because of a Mo Lucas injury and inexperience together.

Colangelo then decides Dennis Johnson should be traded for Rick Robey because they need big men when they already had James Edwards, Mo Lucas, Alvan Adams, and Larry Nance (maybe the most well balanced and complete front line the Suns have ever had).

Next season Robey never plays because they already had plenty of bigs better than him, yet they still make the conference finals and lose a competitive 6 game series to LA largely because Kyle Macy got completely undressed by Magic. Maybe they lose to LA anyway as LA was the much better team, but the DJ trade was by far the dumbest and most inexplicable trade in Suns history.

DMC
10-29-2011, 11:58 AM
:lmao

DMC
10-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Is the Mossberg the only shotgun you've ever heard of? You do realize it's a cheap Walmart piece of shit, right?

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
There is nothing else. The dirt will always be under there. All the regrets=Donald Carter's white cowboy hat. The broken promise of Tarpley. The catastrophe of '06. The belief in Howard and his cowardice in your belief. The false positive of Harris. All of it.

You wanted it clean & proper & upright with Harris and Howard not succumbing to failure. Instead you got it because Nowitski at 15 down did not go quietly. Instead he took every single soul with him. You got it because mongrels like Stevenson and Barea were close enough to the Bryant's and Wade's and LeBron's. And you know what else? The Stevenson's and Barea's fucking knew it. How did they know that? Because Carlisle and Cuban told them they were.
Harris being on the worst team in the league was the problem. Terry had that exact same problem btw and he turned out great for Dallas. Howard was the only one sucking on a team that had championship hopes. Putting Harris in the same boat with Howard is ridiculous.

Jodelo
10-29-2011, 12:06 PM
So, Harris could have defended Kobe, Durant, Wade and Lebron? Good luck...

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Maybe, but I don't see myself ever cheering for the Steve Nash/Robert Sarver combo again (largely because it's never going to win a championship). I've gotten so sick of it.

If sports/life has taught us anything:::anything is possible.

You're just insulating yourself against failure. It's understandable after 43 years of denial.

& at ringage I'd sneek down to a place and bear witness to "your" catharsis.

I thought I'd be witness to Mavs Fan cathartic moments, but, it never happened here. I'd at least have somewhere to go Internet wise to see it (Sose's Joint). Can ya imagine it there?:lobt2:It would be something else again to see it there. That's ground zero in my estimation.

elemento
10-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Scola for cap space and Vaginalis is by far the worst

The RJ trade was not that bad. At the time, pretty much every Spur fan agreed that is was a nice gamble.

Resigning him for 4y/39m was bad though.

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 12:08 PM
So, Harris could have defended Kobe, Durant, Wade and Lebron? Good luck...
That's why we have Marion and Stevenson. All Harris had to do is guard the point guards.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Cully idk why we're really arguing about this since neither Nash (with the Suns) nor Sarver will ever win a championship. Since Sarver didn't get the hard cap he wanted, he's going to be trying to sell the team. Once that happens I'll start cheering for the Suns again good or bad.

Leetonidas
10-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Kidd trade was important. :lmao @ this retard acting like Marion/Haywood/Stevenson are some kinda big three that Harris is missing out on playing with. :lmao Those players work well because they have a PG with elite, possible some of the greatest court vision in the history of the league running the show not to mention great defense. Harris fucking blows dude, a broke man's Tony Parker. Get over it.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Cully idk why we're really arguing about this since neither Nash (with the Suns) nor Sarver will ever win a championship. Since Sarver didn't get the hard cap he wanted, he's going to be trying to sell the team. Once that happens I'll start cheering for the Suns again good or bad.

Same thing was said about Kidd, Cuban and the Mavs.

Anything can happen.

4>0 Rings' Treadmill
10-29-2011, 12:35 PM
sure didn't stop the Princess from calling you DPG's regulatee

tee, hee

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 12:41 PM
^It's understandable. She's his aunt. + I needed regulatin'.

4>0 Rings' Treadmill
10-29-2011, 12:53 PM
0w5neFPat1w

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Kidd trade was important. :lmao @ this retard acting like Marion/Haywood/Stevenson are some kinda big three that Harris is missing out on playing with. :lmao Those players work well because they have a PG with elite, possible some of the greatest court vision in the history of the league running the show not to mention great defense. Harris fucking blows dude, a broke man's Tony Parker. Get over it.
You obviously haven't been following the Mavs enough. They rely very little on Kidd's passing. Kidd can't even drive anymore. He basically just throws the ball to someone and waits at the 3 point line. Hardly an important player. Now I will give him credit on his defense and rebounding as long as he doesn't have to face a speedy player. But his offense is very one-dimensional and mainly just a role player that usually is left open.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 01:33 PM
You obviously haven't been following the Mavs enough. They rely very little on Kidd's passing. Kidd can't even drive anymore. He basically just throws the ball to someone and waits at the 3 point line. Hardly an important player. Now I will give him credit on his defense and rebounding as long as he doesn't have to face a speedy player. But his offense is very one-dimensional and mainly just a role player that usually is left open.

Those 3's he made throughout the playoffs were killer.

And you know it.

DMC
10-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Eh....

wut?

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Those 3's he made throughout the playoffs were killer.

And you know it.
In that case, he was a 2 guard. Not quite the point guard we thought we were getting. All you had to do is make him take a shot off the dribble and he usually missed.

Venti Quattro
10-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Caron for Kwame.

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Eh....

wut?
Exactly. You don't know what's up. Stick to your own team.

Venti Quattro
10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Caron for Kwame.

Though it eventually got Pau Gasol.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 02:51 PM
In that case, he was a 2 guard. Not quite the point guard we thought we were getting. All you had to do is make him take a shot off the dribble and he usually missed.

You feel guilty for winning an NBA Title for some damn reason. I can't fathom it though. But, if you need to beat yourself up over it, knock yourself out.

It's almost adorable.

mavsfan1000
10-29-2011, 03:09 PM
You feel guilty for winning an NBA Title for some damn reason. I can't fathom it though. But, if you need to beat yourself up over it, knock yourself out.

It's almost adorable.
Nope. Try again.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Nope. Try again.

What do you want, Thou? You're searching for something in the backwash of your deliverance. This self flaggelation is without merit. For you:::this is as good as it's gonna get it. And most likely it won't get this good again.

You think it was some kind of accident, or easy that Kidd made those 3's, that Dirk came back from 15 down, that Barea & Stevenson rose above their station. It only looks easy to you because you're wounded & scarred from '06 and the tragedies in your deep past. Even now you can't face what could have happened. You can't be still and sated because you're still in a state of shock from your victory in June as well as the losses prior to that. I've been there. I was there in '85. The old lady had taken the children out for the afternoon because I couldnt' bear to be with anybody win or lose that Sunday afternoon. & when it was over I was still miserable because I still couldn't face what could have happened. Like you and yours it took me months to face victory and embrace it in my heart instead of just my eyes & brain.

Jodelo
10-29-2011, 03:36 PM
That's why we have Marion and Stevenson. All Harris had to do is guard the point guards.

Yeah, but at the end he and Terry would have been on the court... Marion on Kobe and Terry or Harris against Artest? Or Harris or Terry on James/Wade?

Mav-elous Man
10-29-2011, 03:38 PM

I hated when we traded for Raef LaFrentz.

JMarkJohns
10-29-2011, 05:06 PM
STUPIDEST: Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey
- Really nothing more needs to be said about this. Robey sucked and Johnson, while aged, was still very capable and the mid-late-80s Suns could have used both the production and leadership.
RUNNER UP: Kidd for Marbury

MOST UNNECESSARY: Michael Finley, Sam Cassell for Jason Kidd
- It can be argued that you never turn down a hall-of-famer, but when you're trading two All-Star wings for a PG when you already have Kevin Johnson and Steve Nash, I'm not really sure what it was needed for? Keep the highly efficient and savvy Cassell, the often dynamic Finley and trade Nash for the Mavericks 1999 1st (Marion) and build around a perimeter core of Cassell, Finley and Marion. This would have been highly effective, with better perimeter depth than any of the teams Kidd had to work with.

WORST: Three 1sts, two 2nds, Wesley Person for Antonio McDyess, 1st
- Considering the players taken with the traded picks, it doesn't look horrible, but trading multiple 1sts and 2nds for a contract-year player that wasn't retained despite your best efforts really depleted the Suns roster flexibility and talent for 3/4 years, and to make matters worse, the one 1st they did acquire had unlimited lottery protection on it, and, ultimately was deemed a lost cause and traded to clear salary by (wait for it, wait for it...) the owner prior to Robert Sarver, Jerry Colangelo.
RUNNER UP: Kurt Thomas, two 1sts for CAP relief
RUNNER UP UP: Brian Grant/Rajon Rondo for CAP relief, future 1st

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 05:33 PM
MOST UNNECESSARY: Michael Finley, Sam Cassell for Jason Kidd

Cassell did not like Cotton Fitzsimmons. Hated him.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Suns fans never really liked Cassell either. The Suns bringing in 94-95 Rocket players who had broken the hearts of so many Phoenix fans was such a retarded idea, Mario Elie being the most notable one.

Giuseppe
10-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Suns fans never really liked Cassell either. The Suns bringing in 94-95 Rocket players who had broken the hearts of so many Phoenix fans was such a retarded idea, Mario Elie being the most notable one.

Ainge is the reason. Threw the ball into Ellie's face on the inbounds and nobody forgot it. Cassell sold out Cotton. Horry threw the towel into Ainge's mug. Only Elie paid for his sin of throwing that kiss to Colangelo:::Jerry made him go out to Christown Mall and sell ducats.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

GB20
10-29-2011, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=elemento;5454412]Scola for cap space and Vaginalis is by far the worst

the spurs blew this shit big time:bang

JMarkJohns
10-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Kidd hated every coach he ever played for, too... got every single one of 'em fired or forced 'em to quit.

Suns post Barkley were a mess. Too many guards, not enough bigs. They tried to remedy it with Kidd and McDyess, but neither trade worked out well, IMO. I think they paid too much for Kidd when they didn't have to (why it was an unnecessary trade), and paid a king's ransom for a player who didn't want to stay with them (why it was the worst trade).

Hell, they could have cut out the middle-trade and got Marbury for Cassell straight up and still had Finley and Marion.

m>s
10-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Elton Brand for Eddie Curry
signing Ben Wallace while letting TC go

LkrFan
10-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Eddie Jones and Seldom Cambell for Glen Rice. Mental midgets will read this and say WTF, the won a ring with Rice. Shallow thinking at best. Don't do that trade and Phil Jax has this starting lineup to coach:

Fish
Eddie Jones
Kobe @ SF
Campbell
Shaq

^ 4 peat at a minimum. Plus they had a decent beach. :(

Venti Quattro
10-30-2011, 08:26 AM
IIRC they dumped Jones because of Kobe. They had to make a decision.

Giuseppe
10-30-2011, 08:36 AM
^+ Jones was a born loser.

Rice was a winner.

Venti Quattro
10-30-2011, 09:14 AM

Rice was a winner.

Co fucking signed

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Kidd hated every coach he ever played for, too... got every single one of 'em fired or forced 'em to quit.

Suns post Barkley were a mess. Too many guards, not enough bigs. They tried to remedy it with Kidd and McDyess, but neither trade worked out well, IMO. I think they paid too much for Kidd when they didn't have to (why it was an unnecessary trade), and paid a king's ransom for a player who didn't want to stay with them (why it was the worst trade).

Hell, they could have cut out the middle-trade and got Marbury for Cassell straight up and still had Finley and Marion.
Bottom line Bryan Colangelo is a shit GM who didn't have a clue what he was doing. People think the 2004 off season validates his career as a GM but outside of that his career as a GM in Phoenix was an abortion. That 3 PG strategy they had with KJ-Kidd-Nash was some of the dumbest stuff I've ever seen.

Killakobe81
10-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Caron for Kwame, but in the end that one worked out great ...

I loved Caron's mindset at his best he was a borderline all-star, Kwame at his best was just a serviceable big. Just because we shipped his salary for Pau doesnt mean that still was not a horeshit trade.

Giuseppe
10-30-2011, 10:56 AM
^Caron is a loser though. He's just in a winner's circle.

It happens.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Caron is a loser though. He's just in a winner's circle.
Kinda like all Hispanic Lakers fans tbh

Jose Canseco
10-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Eddie Jones and Seldom Cambell for Glen Rice. Mental midgets will read this and say WTF, the won a ring with Rice. Shallow thinking at best. Don't do that trade and Phil Jax has this starting lineup to coach:

Fish
Eddie Jones
Kobe @ SF
Campbell
Shaq

^ 4 peat at a minimum. Plus they had a decent beach. :(

I found it amusing that Kobe went from being listed at 6'8 his first 2-3 seasons in the league to 6'6 afterwards when he finally ended up playing almost exclusively at SG. I do think that over the past decade where both SGs and SFs started getting bigger and stronger, Kobe's best position particularly in his prime years had to be at SG. I don't know if you want Kobe playing at 220-225 to really handle that SF position defensively. You take away a lot of his quickness.

And by the time the Lakers traded Elden, he was no longer the 220 pound guy he was his first few years in the league. He was 260+, probably more. Don't think you wanted him playing starter minutes at PF by the early 2000s.

Giuseppe
10-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Kinda like all Hispanic Lakers fans tbh

:rolleyes

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2011, 11:57 AM
That :rolleyes emoticon is like Cully's white flag when he has nothing else to say

JMarkJohns
10-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Bottom line Bryan Colangelo is a shit GM who didn't have a clue what he was doing. People think the 2004 off season validates his career as a GM but outside of that his career as a GM in Phoenix was an abortion. That 3 PG strategy they had with KJ-Kidd-Nash was some of the dumbest stuff I've ever seen.

He got a free pass because of his last name, which is understandable to a point. Even his best moves are tinged with idiocy. He traded the #7 pick (Deng or Iguodala) to Chicago before knowing who was even available, doing so to clear CAP space for a run at Kobe, which was never going to happen. The package acquired for #7 overall turned into a 2nd-rounder and a late 1st. Ultimately the CAP space was used to sign Quentin Richardson, who was then packaged with the acquired late 1st for Kurt Thomas - effectively meaning Colangelo traded Richardson and their #7 for Kurt Thomas.

The offseason he built his career on he traded two 1st-rounders, getting crap in return, overpaid Nash by almost 3 million per season from what anyone else was offering - a move that took them out of the Manu Ginobili and Kenyon Martin sweepstakes.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2011, 01:11 PM
He was just like his dad in the sense he overhauled teams way too much. His first good off season leads to a 62 win team that makes the conference finals and loses to a much more experienced and seasoned team, so of course he decides to overhaul the entire team and make it so Nash, Amare and Marion were the only 3 players they kept. It's no different than when he immediately became GM and decided to trade Dan Majerle for Hot Rod Williams.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
And the one smart decision of the Joe Johnson trade (choosing Boris Diaw over Josh Childress) wasn't even him. He wanted Childress and David Griffin convinced him to chose Diaw.

JMarkJohns
10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
In retrospect, according to market value and what teams were and weren't going to spend to retain players, Colangelo could have landed both Nash and Richardson while keeping #7 and drafting either Deng or Iguodala. Cuban was ready to move on and wasn't going to match a 8 million per type contract for Nash, and Sterling wasn't going to match a lengthy mid-level per contract for Richardson. Instead of this, however, Colangelo offers 10-per to Nash and 7-per to Richardson. Yes, the deals enabled him to make sure he got them, but they were his no matter. Nobody else was offering anything close to what he was throwing their way.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah lets not forget the career Colangelo has made of overpaying players. Neither Nash nor Richardson happen if Isiah Thomas wasn't kind enough to absorb the abortions that Marbury's and Hardaway's contracts were.

JMarkJohns
10-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah lets not forget the career Colangelo has made of overpaying players. Neither Nash nor Richardson happen if Isiah Thomas wasn't kind enough to absorb the abortions that Marbury's and Hardaway's contracts were.

Well, and then he overpaid Diaw and Barbosa based upon "projected" development, neither working out well.

His most glaring overpay was Turkoglu with Toronto.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Diaw and Barbosa I'm pretty sure was D'antoni who was an even worse GM than Colangelo.

And yeah I still can't believe two different teams have traded for Turkoglu's contract since he got it.

His most underrated contract was giving Marion the max. Having a player who couldn't even create a shot or dribble a basketball making the max contributed more to the Suns' cap issues than I think anyone realizes.

JMarkJohns
10-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Good call on D'Antoni. You're right. Marion got MAX because the Suns had traded Kidd, who was talking about Marion signing with Jersey as a free agent. They made Marion an offer nobody else could/would.

I never understood why Colagenlo was so willing to trade 1sts. His strength was actually drafting. They didn't all work out, and some mistakes were made, but for the player, for the pick, Colangelo-led selections worked out very well, but they had like five 1sts in a decade.

LkrFan
10-30-2011, 03:50 PM
IIRC they dumped Jones because of Kobe. They had to make a decision.

True, but in the triangle, they BOTH would have thrived - meaning they didn't have to trade Eddie. Rice was a one dimensional shooter. Eddie was a triple threat player who went on to Charlotte and starred. He could have done that in LA next to Kobe under the tutelage of Phil.

IIRC, Phil wanted no parts of Rice because he was allergic to defense. As soon as Foxy got his ass in shape, Rice was gone. And we still 3peated.

Imagine teams having to deal with 21 year old Kobe, Shaq, and EJ in the triangle. I could.

Shallow-minded trade.

lefty
10-31-2011, 08:33 PM

Rice was a winner.

Jones could handle the ball and play D

Rice couldn't even guard a 5 year old

Giuseppe
10-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Jones could handle the ball and play D

Rice couldn't even guard a 5 year old

True. But, Rice was a winner. Jones was a loser.

nevitt_&_smrek
10-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Lakers have made some trades that didn't work out as intended, but I don't question the philosophy behind them because they're always looking to improve in the middle.

Giuseppe
10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
I recall the Mychal Thompson trade way back in the '80s. That one was a watershed moment. That had the Celtics, in particular Bird absolutely incensed. And he was everything as advertised. An absolutely perfect fit for us.

lefty
10-31-2011, 09:44 PM
I recall the Mychal Thompson trade way back in the '80s. That one was a watershed moment. That had the Celtics, in particular Bird absolutely incensed. And he was everything as advertised. An absolutely perfect fit for us.

He was a great pick up, as the Lakers needed a backup for Kareem

Indazone
11-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Artest for Ariza..dayum what a stupid trade!

Giuseppe
11-01-2011, 01:24 AM
^Not as stupid as Pierce backin' up on Artest.

tee, hee.

Mav-elous Man
11-01-2011, 01:58 PM

While its true Devin was more athletic, could drive and finish, and was a much better defender for quicker PG's, Kidd's 3pt shooting was better, his setting up his teammates was better, he did a hell of a job defending SG's in clutch situations, and Kidd realizes you don't have to be the fastest guy on the court to GET THE BALL TO BEAT THE DEFENSE DOWN THE COURT. JJ stepped up and did what Devin used to do offensively. The only difference is JJ actually has a better outside shot. Which isn't saying much.

Giuseppe
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
The only difference is JJ actually has a better outside shot. Which isn't saying much.

+ Barea actually did it. Harris & Howard we're always meaning to do it.

Killakobe81
11-01-2011, 11:16 PM
True, but in the triangle, they BOTH would have thrived - meaning they didn't have to trade Eddie. Rice was a one dimensional shooter. Eddie was a triple threat player who went on to Charlotte and starred. He could have done that in LA next to Kobe under the tutelage of Phil.

IIRC, Phil wanted no parts of Rice because he was allergic to defense. As soon as Foxy got his ass in shape, Rice was gone. And we still 3peated.

Imagine teams having to deal with 21 year old Kobe, Shaq, and EJ in the triangle. I could.

Shallow-minded trade.

Shaq wanted a pure shooter like he had in ORL when D3 was in shape.
But eddie couldnt stay Shaq didnt trust him. Read an article back in the day where Shaq and Horry shared a laugh about how "unclutch" Jones was. I was pissed Eddie was 1 of my favorite Lakers at the time ...but EJ was NOT clutch. Great guy I even had a Jones jersey once.