PDA

View Full Version : Sports Medicine Said to Overuse M.R.I.’s

boutons_deux
10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
he scanned the shoulders of 31 perfectly healthy professional baseball pitchers.

The pitchers were not injured and had no pain. But the M.R.I.’s found abnormal shoulder cartilage in 90 percent of them and abnormal rotator cuff tendons in 87 percent. “If you want an excuse to operate on a pitcher’s throwing shoulder, just get an M.R.I.,”

“An M.R.I. is unlike any other imaging tool we use,” Dr. Sangeorzan said. “It is a very sensitive tool, but it is not very specific. That’s the problem.” And scans almost always find something abnormal, although most abnormalities are of no consequence.

he pretty much spurns such scans altogether because they so rarely provide useful information about the patients he sees — those with injuries to the foot and ankle.

“I see 300 or 400 new patients a year,” Dr. Hansen says. “Out of them, there might be one that has something confusing and might need a scan.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/29/health/mris-often-overused-often-mislead-doctors-warn.html?ref=us

gospursgojas
10-29-2011, 03:20 PM
So Dr Hansen is saying he doesn't like the 3k he gets from each of his 300-400 patients' MRIs?