PDA

View Full Version : Piston Fan Ragging on Sean Elliott

Taco
06-15-2005, 12:15 PM
I was listening to the Jim Rome Show and a caller from Detroit called in stating that Jim having Sean Elliot on the show yesterday gave KARMA to the Pistons

He called Elliot a Sandbagger and didn't even try while he played there

Well here are some facts:

The year he was there is when his Kidney Problems Blew up, he talked about it after he retired how he didn't have any energy and started having major side effects from his kidney failure, he gained weight, he was very lethargic I remember he called a news conference because some people in Detroit thought he had AIDS.

Get your FACTS straight PISS-ton Fans :flipoff

Spurs In 6

Chris4
06-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Don't let it ruin your day buddy.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Don't let it ruin your day buddy.

:lmao :lmao

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Actually that's a good issue to bring up since we have a few Detroit folks in here. What was your take on that trade? And the subsequent drama after it? Was there a massive fan upheaval over the Worm leaving, like there was from Spurs fans when we found out Sean was going? And how did Bill Curley work out for you guys after all?

constantstate
06-15-2005, 12:31 PM
:lmao :lmao
pretty awesome irony coming from piston fans.
i suppose everything is lighthearted after a win?

sean elliott is a local hero around these here parts. dude helped win a championship. and this is a spurs board, not a pistons gloat board. you know what i mean buddy?

Chris4
06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
I thought it was great. Hey 6 finals appearances in the last 18 years compared to the Spurs 3 in much longer than that. A 33% showing in an almost two decade period is impressive, don't you think?

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
And how did Bill Curley work out for you guys after all?

Ouch, man. That's cold.

http://www.gamesandcards.com/productpics/93082.jpg

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 12:36 PM
pretty awesome irony coming from piston fans.
i suppose everything is lighthearted after a win?

sean elliott is a local hero around these here parts. dude helped win a championship. and this is a spurs board, not a pistons gloat board. you know what i mean buddy?

Relax 'bro'. I've got more posts here than you, don't go claiming this as your 'home turf'. I'd like to think I've been pretty consistant throughout the entire playoffs, and I've been here through the 2 losses. Not much gloating was going on during those times. Excuse the hell out of me for finding something funny.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Relax 'bro'. I've got more posts here than you, don't go claiming this as your 'home turf'. I'd like to think I've been pretty consistant throughout the entire playoffs, and I've been here through the 2 losses. Not much gloating was going on during those times. Excuse the hell out of me for finding something funny.

i used to post on spurs boards probably before you knew boards existed. dont go by post counts "bro". this is home turf. lol

find whatever you want funny btw. just as long as you know right after he won that championship... like a week later or something... he needed his kidney taken out. the guy was just saying he thinks some piston fans are idiots if they dont keep that in mind.

pooh
06-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Didn't the Spurs get Rodman in that deal? Rodman showed up and off during his tenure with the squad if I remember correctly.

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 01:24 PM
i used to post on spurs boards probably before you knew boards existed. dont go by post counts "bro". this is home turf. lol

find whatever you want funny btw. just as long as you know right after he won that championship... like a week later or something... he needed his kidney taken out. the guy was just saying he thinks some piston fans are idiots if they dont keep that in mind.

Not trying to be a dick, but if I laugh at something, I'm not trying to hope that some dude dies. Do you cheer for Alonzo Mourning? He had health issues too, but I hate him on the court. A surgury does not make you off limits for laughing. I can promise you I wasn't sitting next to him on the cutting room table clanking two butter knifes together singing songs.

And somehow I doubt you were 'around' before I knew about messageboards. Do you remember the days of telnet being the 'big thing'? If so, we're running with the same horses here. No need to compare dick sizes.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but if I laugh at something, I'm not trying to hope that some dude dies. Do you cheer for Alonzo Mourning? He had health issues too, but I hate him on the court. A surgury does not make you off limits for laughing. I can promise you I wasn't sitting next to him on the cutting room table clanking two butter knifes together singing songs.

And somehow I doubt you were 'around' before I knew about messageboards. Do you remember the days of telnet being the 'big thing'? If so, we're running with the same horses here. No need to compare dick sizes.

you wanna buy a 1200 baud modem? settle down.

taco posted the fact that the piston fan who called in got his shit wrong. i dont think you were laughing at a guy getting his kidney replaced... that would be... tasteless. as for alonzo mourning, i never liked him before he had his kidney troubles, but had respect for him after for going through that... which was what sean was dealing with when he played in det... and in sa. (get a clue)

oh and i remember rodman fondly... the dresses... madonna... madonna undressing... rodman wearing better dresses than madonna. etc.

T Park
06-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Didn't the Spurs get Rodman in that deal?

Yes.

Elliott for Rodman rivals Brickowski for Pressy as worst trades the franchise has ever made.

Guru of Nothing
06-15-2005, 01:31 PM

Looks like somebody fell off their horse.

Telnet? WTF are you talking about? Yes, I do know what telnet is, but do you know what usenet is?

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Sean Elliott conducted himself in a very classless manner in Detroit. He never gave a good effort, he slacked off on defense, he was happy to collect a paycheck and go home. He didn't have to love the team, but he owed it to the fans to PLAY. He didn't. He pouted like a baby.

He's a saint to you guys, but nobody in Detroit has a high opinion of him, and rightfully so.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 01:34 PM
i still blame rodman for killing our chances at a championship pre 99.

T Park
06-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Fuck all the Sean Elliott haters.

Maybe if Detroit wasn't such a shit hole...

nevermind, the trolls arent worth fucking with.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Fuck all the Sean Elliott haters.

Maybe if Detroit wasn't such a shit hole...

nevermind, the trolls arent worth fucking with.

How is what you're doing any different?

constantstate
06-15-2005, 01:41 PM
did everyone know about his kidney problems back then and take that into account... or that he and management never got along (one guy in particular) or that bill laimbeer was the only guy who sean thought was on his side... and he retired after that year.

he was being blamed for everything. its funny too because piston fans are scared to blame players like sheed now... fearing they'll crack.

MainEvent
06-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Elliot flat out dogged it in Detroit. Seems like he's a good guy and all, but expecting any love for him out of Detroit is too much. Part of the reason they dealt him off for scraps because his attitude was so poor.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Sean Elliott conducted himself in a very classless manner in Detroit. He never gave a good effort, he slacked off on defense, he was happy to collect a paycheck and go home. He didn't have to love the team, but he owed it to the fans to PLAY. He didn't. He pouted like a baby.

He's a saint to you guys, but nobody in Detroit has a high opinion of him, and rightfully so.

I have heard that from a lot of Pistons fans. I didn't pay much attention to Elliott when he was in Detroit, but if that's the case, then that sucks. People call Vince Carter names for not trying because he wasn't happy in Toronto. I can see how Pistons fans could see Elliott the same way.

Taco
06-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I was listening to the Jim Rome Show and a caller from Detroit called in stating that Jim having Sean Elliot on the show yesterday gave KARMA to the Pistons

He called Elliot a Sandbagger and didn't even try while he played there

Well here are some facts:

The year he was there is when his Kidney Problems Blew up, he talked about it after he retired how he didn't have any energy and started having major side effects from his kidney failure, he gained weight, he was very lethargic I remember he called a news conference because some people in Detroit thought he had AIDS.

Didn't read the first post? :lol

MainEvent
06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
did everyone know about his kidney problems back then and take that into account... or that he and management never got along (one guy in particular) or that bill laimbeer was the only guy who sean thought was on his side... and he retired after that year.

he was being blamed for everything. its funny too because piston fans are scared to blame players like sheed now... fearing they'll crack.

No, he played 158 out of 164 games the next to years for the Spurs and averaged 18 and 20 points a game.

Jimcs50
06-15-2005, 01:44 PM
How is what you're doing any different?

It is not.

TPark has no tolerance whatsoever.

He has anger isses...that is a fact....but he is OUR TPark so we all love him anyway.

:)

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 01:45 PM
did everyone know about his kidney problems back then and take that into account...
he was being blamed for everything.

FUnny, Sean's kidney problems didn't seem to hurt him in San Antonio for the next 3-4 years after he got sent back.... sorry, nobody buys that for a second. After seeing his production when he went back to the Spurs, he was clearly dogging it here.

And he wasn't being blamed for the losses, he was being blamed for being a sandbagging jerk. Pick a Pistons game from 1994, any game. Sean was always the one Piston on the floor that clearly didn't show any interest in playing.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 01:47 PM
No, he played 158 out of 164 games the next to years for the Spurs and averaged 18 and 20 points a game.

oh ok... then maybe he didnt have a kidney problem. maybe someone should call his brother and tell him to get his kidney back.

im just saying he started having kidney problems in det... and there were other issues surrounding his stay there...

WayDowntownBang
06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes, I'm well aware of usenet.

And no thanks, I don't want to buy the 1200, although that's a great reference. Cracked me up.

As for Rodman, remember.. this is the same kid that wanted to blow himself away in the parking lot of the Palace. As many rebounds as he had, he had that many more personal issues, way before he started dying his hair different colors.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
oh ok... then maybe he didnt have a kidney problem. maybe someone should call his brother and tell him to get his kidney back.

im just saying he started having kidney problems in det... and there were other issues surrounding his stay there...

Yeah, we get it.

Sean's kidney prevented him from playing hard in 1994.....it just took a 3-year vacation when he got sent back to san antonio, magically allowing the couragous Sean to TRY again...

Nobody is telling you guys you have to stop liking sean elliott. Just don't even pretend to tell us we don't have a right to dispise him.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 01:50 PM

No one is saying that he didn't have a kidney problem. But how do you explain his next two seasons in S.A. after he was in Detroit if he was so hindered by the kidney? You have to be able to see the Pistons fans' perspective.

92-93 SAS 70 70 37.2 .491 .356 .795 1.20 3.40 4.60 3.8 .97 .40 2.17 1.90 17.2
93-94 DET 73 73 33.0 .455 .299 .803 .90 2.70 3.60 2.7 .74 .37 1.77 2.40 12.1
94-95 SAS 81 81 35.3 .468 .408 .807 .80 2.80 3.50 2.5 .96 .47 1.86 2.70 18.1
95-96 SAS 77 77 37.7 .466 .411 .771 .90 4.20 5.10 2.7 .90 .43 2.57 2.30 20.0

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-15-2005, 01:53 PM
No one is saying that he didn't have a kidney problem. But how do you explain his next two seasons in S.A. after he was in Detroit if he was so hindered by the kidney? You have to be able to see the Pistons fans' perspective.

92-93 SAS 70 70 37.2 .491 .356 .795 1.20 3.40 4.60 3.8 .97 .40 2.17 1.90 17.2
93-94 DET 73 73 33.0 .455 .299 .803 .90 2.70 3.60 2.7 .74 .37 1.77 2.40 12.1
94-95 SAS 81 81 35.3 .468 .408 .807 .80 2.80 3.50 2.5 .96 .47 1.86 2.70 18.1
95-96 SAS 77 77 37.7 .466 .411 .771 .90 4.20 5.10 2.7 .90 .43 2.57 2.30 20.0

Funny how his minutes went up as well. He dogged it here, plain and simple...

constantstate
06-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah, we get it.

Sean's kidney prevented him from playing hard in 1994.....it just took a 3-year vacation when he got sent back to san antonio....

have you ever heard of things like medicine? he was just starting to get treated for this stuff. i think he would have gotten back together as far as game shape. he did in sa.

as far as doggin it. sean elliott was in the prime of his career. going to det was a huge change where it takes time to adjust etc. nothing else in his career suggests that he would just "tank it" for the sake of it... i heard that he was unhappy with the way he was being treated, and that was after his first year... he had put up pretty good numbers.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Funny how his minutes went up as well. He dogged it here, plain and simple...

This is a very awkward discussion for everybody involved.

Spurs fans love the guy, Pistons fans hate the guy, and both sides have good reason to do so.

Nobody's going to win this argument.

MainEvent
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Maybe he discovered better methods of treatment if he was experiencing difficulties. Maybe he just couldn't play without a dominating C to take the pressure off of him. Or maybe, as was the talk at the time, that he was just completely unhappy about the trade to Detroit.

The worst part of the whole Elliot deal was that the Pistons had a deal to send him to Houston for Big Shot Bob. Only Elliot failed the physical because of his knee and he got sent back. Just another reason for Detroit fans opinions of Elliot.

06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Maybe he discovered better methods of treatment if he was experiencing difficulties. Maybe he just couldn't play without a dominating C to take the pressure off of him. Or maybe, as was the talk at the time, that he was just completely unhappy about the trade to Detroit.

The worst part of the whole Elliot deal was that the Pistons had a deal to send him to Houston for Big Shot Bob. Only Elliot failed the physical because of his knee and he got sent back. Just another reason for Detroit fans opinions of Elliot.

The Horry trade would have been a good one for Detroit at the time...

MiNuS
06-15-2005, 01:58 PM
I thought it was great. Hey 6 finals appearances in the last 18 years compared to the Spurs 3 in much longer than that. A 33% showing in an almost two decade period is impressive, don't you think?

OK

The Bad boys appeared in 3 and the new guys have appeared in 2,right?

That would be a total of 5 and not 6?

whottt
06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
The difference between his Detroit numbers and his SA numbers = 50

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
have you ever heard of things like medicine? he was just starting to get treated for this stuff. i think he would have gotten back together as far as game shape. he did in sa.

as far as doggin it. sean elliott was in the prime of his career. going to det was a huge change where it takes time to adjust etc. nothing else in his career suggests that he would just "tank it" for the sake of it... i heard that he was unhappy with the way he was being treated, and that was after his first year... he had put up pretty good numbers.

Yeah, I get it.

He decided not to take meds in 1994, but took them the second he got traded back home. Yeah.

And for the effort Seasn was putting out on the floor, he deserved worse treatment than he got. I can excuse not playing well. I can't fault not trying.

jcrod
06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
FUnny, Sean's kidney problems didn't seem to hurt him in San Antonio for the next 3-4 years after he got sent back.... sorry, nobody buys that for a second. After seeing his production when he went back to the Spurs, he was clearly dogging it here.

And he wasn't being blamed for the losses, he was being blamed for being a sandbagging jerk. Pick a Pistons game from 1994, any game. Sean was always the one Piston on the floor that clearly didn't show any interest in playing.

Sean has talked about it before. He did give up in a sense. He said Thomas never welcomed him. Made the locker room dislike him. So you can see why he would give up, he has said many of times it was the worst yr of his life.

whottt
Elliott just wasn't a great NBA player without David Robinson..You guys tried to make him the centerpiece or something...he was never meant to be one.

constantstate
all i know is this... his rep was almost ruined by people talking about how he didnt like it there. he was traded, adjusting, and going through the kidney stuff. i dont think he got along with management... but he failed physicals... thats how bad his kidney was... some people thought his career was over. (i do remember that)

constantstate
06-15-2005, 02:02 PM
i was gonna bring up his relationship with zeek... the one person in particular... but he also gave us nazr. so...

jcrod
06-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Ya'll just saw what transpired on the court, but there is a lot happened behind the scenes that caused him to play that way. I wouldn't blame Sean.

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:03 PM
WTF this is a stupid thread.

1) Sean Elliott was grossly sick. If you saw him play for the Pistons, you would have seen his face all puffy from the medicine he was taking to combat his sickness.

2) Isiah Thomas hated him and Elliott had Isiah Thomas. They didn't get along at all and Elliott wouldn't get the ball.

3) That team had a lot of scorers (Dumars, Mills, Thomas and even Polynice) ... so Elliott wasn't close to the second option that he was in SA. Also, Allan Houston and Lidnsey Hunter were rookies who were both drafted in the lottery. They were getting plenty of touches in the offense as well.

Elliott had a bad year. Most of the issues were with Thomas and how they didn't want Elliott as part of the team. With Thomas, Dumars and Laimbeer still on the team, they thought they were still the Bad Boys. Problem was they sucked.

But to say that Elliott didn't try is stupid. It was a bad year coupled with a point guard who hated him ... plus the fact that he was on serious medication for his kidney ailment.

06-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Ya'll just saw what transpired on the court, but there is a lot happened behind the scenes that caused him to play that way. I wouldn't blame Sean.

In the year prior and the year after he did fine. What else are we supposed to think?

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Sean has talked about it before. He did give up in a sense. He said Thomas never welcomed him. Made the locker room dislike him. So you can see why he would give up, he has said many of times it was the worst yr of his life.

Oh for ****'s sake.......

Isiah's custom with new teamates is that you have to EARN his respect. The way to do that is with effort on the defensive end. Thats the Piston philosophy.

If Sean was playing hard for half the season and kinda gave in, thats one thing. But Sean never even TRIED from game #1. I can see why HOFer with 2 rings wouldn't like him.....

Yeah, we all get it. In 1993, Sean was fine. He gets traded to detroit, his kidney starts making him NOT TRY. He gets traded back to SA 1 year later, all ofa sudden, he's magically fine again. Nobody here buys that, and I'm offended anyone here thinks we're that gullable.

If anything, Sean was ASKING to be disliked. Who wants a guy that you can't count on as a teammate?

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Man F all these Piston fans who were no where to be found when their team was down 2-0. And F these Spurs fans who somehow didn't watch the NBA back then so they can't backup one of their own.

jcrod
06-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Oh for ****'s sake.......

Isiah's custom with new teamates is that you have to EARN his respect. The way to do that is with effort on the defensive end. Thats the Piston philosophy.

If Sean was playing hard for half the season and kinda gave in, thats one thing. But Sean never even TRIED from game #1. I can see why HOFer with 2 rings wouldn't like him.....

If anything, Sean was ASKING to be disliked. Who wants a guy that you can't count on as a teammate?

What stupid shit is that. You don't need to earn respect to be welcomed and make the whole locker room hate you. Stupid shit is that. If the freaking leader of the team doesn't like you from the get go and admittly say so to your face..........nevermind. You're seeing tunnel vision.

Xolotl
06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=constantstate]
sean elliott is a local hero around these here parts. dude helped win a championship.QUOTE]

I just love Sean b/c of those Taco Cabana commercials he used to do. C'mon you guy remember those, with the horrible outfits and the maracas

Jimcs50

Sean Elliott 1994

Regular Season Stats
Year Age Team Lg G Min Pts PPG FGM FGA FGP FTM FTA FTP 3PM 3PA 3PP ORB DRB TRB RPG AST APG STL BLK TO PF
1993-94 25 DET NBA 73 2409 885 12.9 360 791 .455 139 173 .803 26 87 .299 68 195 263 3.6 197 2.7 54 27 129 174

Tayshaun Prince 2005

YEAR G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS 2004-2005 82 82 37.1 5.7-11.7 .487 0.6-1.7 .341 2.7-3.3 .807 0.68 0.9 1.6 2.0 1.6 3.7 5.3 3.0 14.7

Compare the two seasons.

Sean was not exactly chop liver here.

timvp
Thomas was a scrub at that point who was just trying to be a hard ass because he career was over. The championship days were over. Kissing Magic Johnson was over. But he didn't want it to be over so he took it out on the new players.

This was common knowledge ... but I guess not to these Piston fans who stopped following the team after going down 2-0 but are now the #1 fans after winning a game.

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:13 PM
He has anger isses

isses

constantstate
06-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Man F all these Piston fans who were no where to be found when their team was down 2-0. And F these Spurs fans who somehow didn't watch the NBA back then so they can't backup one of their own.

seriously.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Sean Elliott 1994

Regular Season Stats
Year Age Team Lg G Min Pts PPG FGM FGA FGP FTM FTA FTP 3PM 3PA 3PP ORB DRB TRB RPG AST APG STL BLK TO PF
1993-94 25 DET NBA 73 2409 885 12.9 360 791 .455 139 173 .803 26 87 .299 68 195 263 3.6 197 2.7 54 27 129 174

Tayshaun Prince 2005

YEAR G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS 2004-2005 82 82 37.1 5.7-11.7 .487 0.6-1.7 .341 2.7-3.3 .807 0.68 0.9 1.6 2.0 1.6 3.7 5.3 3.0 14.7

Compare the two seasons.

Sean was not exactly chop liver here.

Compare what? The stats of a scorer vs a defender? What a stupid comparison.

I also must have missed the ceremony in 1994 where sean was named to the all-defensive team.

MainEvent
06-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Sorry, no. Elliot's lack of effort was readily apparent for anybody (like me) that watched Pistons games regularly. Maybe you can chalk it up to the kidneys or even Isiah's attitude towards him. But his effort was piss poor. He played softer than tissue paper. When he went back to SA and was dunking on people and draining 3s the very next year, it rubs you the wrong way.

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:16 PM
damn

LJ is spot fuckin on.

(stands and applauds)

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Sorry, no. Elliot's lack of effort was readily apparent for anybody (like me) that watched Pistons games regularly. Maybe you can chalk it up to the kidneys or even Isiah's attitude towards him. But his effort was piss poor. He played softer than tissue paper. When he went back to SA and was dunking on people and draining 3s the very next year, it rubs you the wrong way.

Dumbass, that's what happens when you go from the fifth option to the second option. That's what happens when you go from playing with the rotting corpse of Isiah Thomas to playing with the freakin' MVP David Robinson. That Pistons team sucked and Elliott didn't get the ball. Plus he was sick. All combined, it's a miracle he put up the stats that he did.

FearDaFro

Exactly.

combs84
Sean Elliot was always one of my favorite players, but when he came to Detroit he completely hoed us out so he could get what he wanted, and he got it.

You guys have no reason to agree to that, but it is the truth. It was so long ago though who the frick cares?

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Exactly.

Exactly, what? Read my damn posts and try to stick around after the Spurs are up by two games next time.

Thanks.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Sean Elliot was always one of my favorite players, but when he came to Detroit he completely hoed us out so he could get what he wanted, and he got it.

You guys have no reason to agree to that, but it is the truth. It was so long ago though who the frick cares?

Because somebody decided to take issue with someone critisizing the holier-than-thou elliott, and brought it up here.

We should start a thread in here about how Rodman was right in completely sabotaging the spurs in 1994 and 1995.....see how they like it.

Actually, I never did think Rodman got a fair shake in San Antonio....

06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Thomas was a scrub at that point who was just trying to be a hard ass because he career was over. The championship days were over. Kissing Magic Johnson was over. But he didn't want it to be over so he took it out on the new players.

This was common knowledge ... but I guess not to these Piston fans who stopped following the team after going down 2-0 but are now the #1 fans after winning a game.

Elliot averaged 13 shots/game in 92-93 and 11 in 93-94.

His FTA went from 337 to 173(lowest in his first 8 years) to 407. That's desire and effort...

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:21 PM

Yeah the boy kissing rotting corpse of Isiah Thomas wasn't the reason why Elliott sucked. That hasn't been documented 112432423 times since Elliott was traded to Detroit. He was on a scrub team that thought they were world champions.

It's tough going from the second option next to David Robinson to being the fifth option on a scrub team led by a hating broken down PG.

jcrod
Compare what? The stats of a scorer vs a defender? What a stupid comparison.

I also must have missed the ceremony in 1994 where sean was named to the all-defensive team.

Prince is the most overrated defender. Sean was a better defender than Prince can ever dream of being.

Idiots! Everybody hates you, because of the over egotistic leader. Never gets the ball passed to you, sick as a dog for most of the season. And you wonder why?????????????????? :rolleyes

MainEvent
Dumbass, that's what happens when you go from the fifth option to the second option. That's what happens when you go from playing with the rotting corpse of Isiah Thomas to playing with the freakin' MVP David Robinson. That Pistons team sucked and Elliott didn't get the ball. Plus he was sick. All combined, it's a miracle he put up the stats that he did.

Ohh, name calling. Intelligent. Elliot wasn't brough in to be the 5th option. That's just what he ended up being because he sucked so bad when he was here.

combs84
I'm not saying not to argue and post about it, but I think we can all agree that right now its the furthest thing from our minds. I only speak for myself but my Sean Elliot Nightmares have stopped.

But Nonetheless, it is the truth, it did happen, we watched it..you didn't. Believe what you want.

timvp
Because somebody decided to take issue with someone critisizing the holier-than-thou elliott, and brought it up here.

We should start a thread in here about how Rodman was right in completely sabotaging the spurs in 1994 and 1995.....see how they like it.

Actually, I never did think Rodman got a fair shake in San Antonio....

Classic.

Ignore the truth. Celebrate in the loonacy.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Ohh, name calling. Intelligent. Elliot wasn't brough in to be the 5th option. That's just what he ended up being because he sucked so bad when he was here.

You'll find thats a common theme here.

When you argue to a certain point, they resort to insulting you and insulting your city.

Not all of them, the ones in the game threads are cool, but a lot more than you'd think.....

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM

Can't spell his name right. Intelligent, all right.

Don't blame me because your scrub team didn't try to rebuild quick enough. The boy kisser plus the expanded waist lines of Dumars and Laimbeer thought that Pistons team was championship caliber. They didn't want Elliott on the team. They wanted Rodman.

It was well documented. Even Isiah Thomas admitted it after the fact.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Elliot averaged 13 shots/game in 92-93 and 11 in 93-94.

His FTA went from 337 to 173(lowest in his first 8 years) to 407. That's desire and effort...

desire... effort...

not a lack of communication with his point guard
(so much so that sean was quoted back then saying bill laimbeer got him the ball in better spots than zeek)

not a medical condition that caused him to go on meds.

jcrod
I'm not saying not to argue and post about it, but I think we can all agree that right now its the furthest thing from our minds. I only speak for myself but my Sean Elliot Nightmares have stopped.

But Nonetheless, it is the truth, it did happen, we watched it..you didn't. Believe what you want.

You watched only what happened on the court. YOU REFUSE to believe what happened in the locker room as Sean stated after he left that hell hole.

timvp

When you argue to a certain point, they resort to insulting you and insulting your city.

Not all of them, the ones in the game threads are cool, but a lot more than you'd think.....

:cry

This from a guy who can't even respond to one of my posts in this thread.

Keep ignoring.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Classic.

Ignore the truth. Celebrate in the loonacy.

Its no less loony to tell us we should like Sean Elliott.

His PG didn't like him. His kidney was acting up, though it was one of those magic kidnsey diseases that suddenly went away for 3 years after forcing him for play like crap. Management didn't like him. He didn't get the ball in the right spots. The locker room didn't like him.

Yeah, we understand. Its everybody's fault, but Sean's.....

06-15-2005, 02:27 PM
desire... effort...

not a lack of communication with his point guard
(so much so that sean was quoted back then saying bill laimbeer got him the ball in better spots than zeek)

not a medical condition that caused him to go on meds.

So lack of getting to the rim and getting fouled is the point guard's fault?

jcrod
06-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Where are we saying that???????????????????? We're saying is not completely at fault for what happened during his time in Detroit.

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:28 PM

Then why are you here???

not a medical condition that caused him to go on meds

Yeah, his kidneys are perfectly healthy.

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Oh sh!t congrats. You finally decided to respond to one of my posts. Kind of like you decided to post again after the Pistons won a game.

I'm not saying you should like him. No one cares if you like him or not. But to try to say he wasn't trying is stupid. He was on medicine for a failing kidney, the point guard hated him, he went from the second option to one of the last options, the team was trying to get its two lottery picks playing time and the team still thought it was championship caliber ... that all combined for him having a sub par season. It wasn't like he went up there and they were a good team with a solid pass with a point guard who would pass to him and he just didn't try.

If you watched the team then you would know this.

violentkitten
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
the big cat has never seen timvp go off like this.

piston fan is nice and crispy right about now.

whottt
06-15-2005, 02:30 PM
This is classic...What happened to Elliott is the same thing that happens to players that come to the Spurs...that have too much expectation on them...

Hedo was a beloved player in Sacremento...he came here and he's public enemy #1 with no balls and who carries purse.

Brent Barry went from being a pillar of the community and team in Seattle to being the most hated Spur possibly ever.

The same thing happened to Elliott...they didn't trade us Dennis Rodman because they expected Elliott to be the 5th option on their team...He was coming off an All Star Season if I remember...was wide regarded as one of the best upncoming defenders in the NBA...and he was supposed energize their aging team and be part of their future.

They wanted Elliott to do well...he just wasn't cut out to handle it in Detroit...it's not the same laid back family atmosphere that's in SA...they were hungry for more titles.

It's not just that the Pistons fans hate Elliott...Elliott has zero love for Detroit as well. He doesn't consider himself as having ever been a Piston.

Elliott wasn't as beloved in SA then as he is now either...there wasn't a lot of complaining about trading him for Rodman. It wasn't like when we traded Malik.

It's silly to expect the Detroit fans to feel the same way about Elliott that Spurs fans do..he didn't want to be there...he didn't hit the MDM for them(the turning point of his career in SA as well)...and he didn't become champion of the human spirit for them by becoming the first player to play after a kidney transplant...

Elliott didn't like the Pistons or their fans and they know it. I really don't blame them for feeling the same way.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
So lack of getting to the rim and getting fouled is the point guard's fault?

are you even reading what i said? i think there were alot of issues involved as to why his numbers went down. i dont think a medical condition that you're just learning about and trying to control helps... neither does a point who doesnt want you around.

MainEvent
06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Can't spell his name right. Intelligent, all right.

Don't blame me because your scrub team didn't try to rebuild quick enough. The boy kisser plus the expanded waist lines of Dumars and Laimbeer thought that Pistons team was championship caliber. They didn't want Elliott on the team. They wanted Rodman.

It was well documented. Even Isiah Thomas admitted it after the fact.

Boy, you're a unhappy little critter aren't you?

Amazing that the fat waistline of Dumars managed to drop 20 a game that year and that Terry Mills managed 17. You guys can continue to blame anything and everything on everybody but Elliott. Sure, he didn't get along with Isiah, but why does that mean he can't take it strong to the hole or play tough defense? It doesn't. Blame it all on the kidney's if you want. But the fact that one year before and one year after he was perfectly fine and played hard taints his performance here in Detroit.

FearDaFro
It's silly to expect the Detroit fans to feel the same way about Elliott that Spurs fans do..he didn't want to be there...he didn't hit the MDM for them(the turning point of his career in SA as well)...and he didn't become champion of the human spirit for them by becoming the first player to play after a kidney transplant...

Elliott didn't like the Pistons or their fans and they know it. I really don't blame them for feeling the same way.

That's all I've been trying to say.

And what does MDM mean?

Kori Ellis
Memorial Day Miracle.

constantstate
i dont think anyone wants/needs piston fans to respect or like elliott... man have your own opinion. whatever, you know...

but this thread started because taco said he heard a fan go off about elliott without mentioning this stuff... the stuff that you should know if you're a fan.

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Dumars managed to drop 20 a game that year and that Terry Mills managed 17

that plus Isaih Thomas, you wanna tell me how Sean Elliott was supposed to get any shots???

Nahhhh.

timvp
His kidney was acting up, though it was one of those magic kidnsey diseases that suddenly went away for 3 years after forcing him for play like crap.

:lol

You are really showing your true colors now. When he was going through the testing to figure out what was wrong, they put him on all types of steroids and medication to bring his kidney numbers back in line. They didn't know what was wrong at first. That is why if you see a picture of him on the Pistons, his face was all puffy from the steroids.

Eventually, they finally figured out what was wrong and they took him off the steroids and got the medication in check. That didn't happen overnight. It just so happened that he was on the Pistons when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him.

Once they figured out his condition, they structured a medicine regiment that allowed him to play. He still had to check his kidney numbers weekly and adjust his medicine accordingly, but the medicine he was one was a much lesser dossage than he was on when he was with the Pistons. Plus they took him off of all steroids that they put him on when they had no clue what was wrong.

Oh and to show the class of the city of Detroit, the local media came out with a story that Sean Elliott had AIDS and that was why he was getting tested and treated so much. Very classy there.

I guess that's where you guys get your charm.

FearDaFro
Memorial Day Miracle.

Oh. Gotcha.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:37 PM

You are really showing your true colors now. When he was going through the testing to figure out what was wrong, they put him on all types of steroids and medication to bring his kidney numbers back in line. They didn't know what was wrong at first. That is why if you see a picture of him on the Pistons, his face was all puffy from the steroids.

Eventually, they finally figured out what was wrong and they took him off the steroids and got the medication in check. That didn't happen overnight. It just so happened that he was on the Pistons when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him.

Once they figured out his condition, they structured a medicine regiment that allowed him to play. He still had to check his kidney numbers weekly and adjust his medicine accordingly, but the medicine he was one was a much lesser dossage than he was on when he was with the Pistons. Plus they took him off of all steroids that they put him on when they had no clue what was wrong.

Oh and to show the class of the city of Detroit, the local media came out with a story that Sean Elliott had AIDS and that was why he was getting tested and treated so much. Very classy there.

I guess that's where you guys get your charm.

As I said, we all understand......the one year between 1992 and 1998 that he plays in detroit, his kidney knocks his effort and his scoring in half. Every other year, his kidney simply wasn't bothering him, or he just had better medication. Its all just a big coincidence that his one afflicted year was in Detroit. Gotcha.

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Ouch. timvp knows more about Piston history than Piston Fan.

jcrod
06-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Look, I can give a rats ass if you hate him or like him. My thing is, saying it's completely his fault and he was sandbagging is stupid. He did give up, he admitted so. But having the whole team dislike you (espesically Isah, even HE admits it) and not getting you involved with the team plays a HUGE part in it, as being sick.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Every other yea, his kidney simply wasn't bothering him, or he just had better medication.

The year with the Pistons was the first year he started medication - that's well documented.

his scoring in half.

Math.

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
As I said, we all understand......the one year between 1992 and 1998 that he plays in detroit, his kidney knocks his effort and his scoring in half. Every other yea, his kidney simply wasn't bothering him, or he just had better medication. Its all just a big coincidence that his one afflicted year was in Detroit. Gotcha.

You do know that was the year he was diagnosed with his condition right? Yeah, it was his fault that his play suffered around the time that doctors told him he had failing kidneys and how he'd eventually need a transplant. Gotcha.

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 02:41 PM
As I said, we all understand......the one year between 1992 and 1998 that he plays in detroit, his kidney knocks his effort and his scoring in half. Every other yea, his kidney simply wasn't bothering him, or he just had better medication. Its all just a big coincidence that his one afflicted year was in Detroit. Gotcha.

Actually, not getting the same touches he was getting in SA might have something to do with that. Not exactly hard to grasp.

And yes, Elliott was that sick back then.

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Ouch. timvp knows more about Piston history than Piston Fan.

Well considering we are dealing with fans who pulled a Whottt and stopped posting after going down 0-2, it shouldn't be a surprise.

:hat

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Laker Fan > Piston fan.

Great job Detroit, be proud of that.

What fuckwads.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 02:42 PM
also... if sean had it in him to "dog it" in detroit... than he certainly would have had an even better reason to "dog it" in 99 with the spurs. (and after that too) when he became the first player with a kidney transplant to play pro basketball.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Laker Fan > Piston fan.

Great job Detroit, be proud of that.

What fuckwads.

......you DO realize that you troll more than any spurs fan here.......right?

At leats the 2 years I've been around, you seem incapable of discussing anything without insulting people.

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:44 PM

He skips all the posts were he's called out for being wrong.

Classic.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 02:45 PM
a spurs fan cant troll on a spurs board... you DO realize that, right?

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:45 PM
you DO realize that you troll more than any spurs fan here.......right?

where were you after games 1 and 2???

Thats right.

Who is the troll now.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:46 PM
where were you after games 1 and 2???

Thats right.

Who is the troll now.

......and if this discussion has started saturday, I'd be here then, too.

On the all-time list of hated ex-pistons, Sean Elliott is right behind Bob Macadoo at the top.

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
satusday

and this guy questions TIMVP's intelligence???

lmfao.

Even I can spell saturday, and I have the spelling skills of a 12 year old special ed student.

whottt
06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
That's funny TimVP..considering you pulled a no show after Barry had a great game last night and got owned on the heart thing for the 1 billionth time this season(insert minimalization of 80% shooting in a road game in front of 20k fans here).

I don't understand why Spurs fans are so upset about this...Elliott didn't want to get traded to Detroit in the first place...he never liked that trade from the first second he heard about it...

Elliott wanted to be a Spur and stay in SA...he didn't want to be a Piston...period.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out why he is beloved in SA and not in Detroit.

On top of that...Spurs fans have made jokes for years on how badly we assraped Detroit in those two trades...why are we expecting them to act like they are thrilled with them?

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 02:48 PM
......and if this discussion has started satusday, I'd be here then, too.

That's all fine and dandy. But please explain why you posted before Game 1 .. and then not again until after Game 3. A lot of Pistons fans came in after Games 1 and 2. Some trolled, some gave explanation for the Pistons' losses, some gave the Spurs props.

You, who've been here a lot during the season, bailed.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 02:49 PM
That's funny TimVP..considering you pulled a no show after Barry had a great game last night

You realize that we had 35 people at our house last night -- so timvp went to bed after they left and didn't post until this morning. Get a life, Whottt.

timvp
http://www.mailbling.com/feardafro.jpg

T Park
considering you pulled a no show after Barry had a great game last night and got owned on the heart thing for the 1 billionth time this season

you should know, after pulling the disappearing act after the

21 billion put up by your Husband.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
That's all fine and dandy. But please explain why you posted before Game 1 .. and then not again until after Game 3. A lot of Pistons fans came in after Games 1 and 2. Some trolled, some gave explanation for the Pistons' losses, some gave the Spurs props.

You, who've been here a lot during the season, bailed.

Have I posted my thoughts on game 3? I mean, we did WIN that game, so by your logic, I should have given my opinion by now.....

I'll give my take here after the series ends. That was my intention from the start. Posting postgame throughts on another board is just grounds to start more arguments.

T Park
lol!!!!

:rollin

SPARKY
Piston Fan ran and hid after the first loss. Put the rope around his neck after Game 2. Now back in here running his mouth like Detroit is up 3-0.

Fuck Piston Fan.

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
That's funny TimVP..considering you pulled a no show after Barry had a great game last night and got owned on the heart thing for the 1 billionth time this season(insert minimalization of 80% shooting in a road game in front of 20k fans here).

I don't understand why Spurs fans are so upset about this...Elliott didn't want to get traded to Detroit in the first place...he never liked that trade from the first second he heard about it...

Elliott wanted to be a Spur and stay in SA...he didn't want to be a Piston...period.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out why he is beloved in SA and not in Detroit.

On top of that...Spurs fans have made jokes for years on how badly we assraped Detroit in those two trades...why are we expecting them to act like they are thrilled with them?

Only Whottt can be happy after the Spurs lose and his hero goes for 10 or whatever.

T Park
06-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Whottt is easily the worst spurs fan in history.

Period.

(waits for more unintelligent bullshit attacks from whotttie)

jcrod
06-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Are you reading what we're posting?????????????? :shootme

whottt
06-15-2005, 02:55 PM
LOL FDF and I don't even get along...but he's right on the Elliott thing and so are the rest oft he Pistons's fans...

And if some Kings fan were in here telling us why we should love Hedo we'd be doing the same thing the Pistons are...

If some Knicks fans came in here and started telling us what a great player Charles Smith was or how Charlie Ward was such a great player...we'd be doing the same thing the Pistons are.

And TImVP can do all the callouts he wants...That doesn't change the fact that TimVP called me out and trashed me for not posting...then he did the same thing.

I figured he was working on the grades :smokin

Bottom line is that the Spurs would do both of those trades over again the exact same way...We turned Elliott into Rodman and Rodman into Perdue...and we got Elliott back for Billy Curley...Perdue and Elliott were essential keys to our first title...It's a dark period in Pistons history when they were made fools of...by both Elliott and the Spurs...

You want them to retire Elliott's jersey for it?

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Posting postgame throughts on another board is just grounds to start more arguments.

And bashing one of the best players in Spurs history and not knowing the full facts behind it isn't? If you wanted to take a neutral stance, going on a foolish Sean Elliott bashing binge wasn't the way to go.

You know I respect you because you are the original Pistons fan on this board, but I'd expect more out of someone than bashing a player and not knowing the specifics. I don't care if you hate him. Actually, you should hate him because of how the Spurs raped the Pistons in trades around that time.

But at least know the facts. That is all I ask.

timvp
06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
LOL FDF and I don't even get along...but he's right on the Elliott thing and so are the rest oft he Pistons's fans...

And if some Kings fan were in here telling us why we should love Hedo we'd be doing the same thing the Pistons are...

If some Knicks fans came in here and started telling us what a great player Charles Smith was or how Charlie Ward was such a great player...we'd be doing the same thing the Pistons are.

And TImVP can do all the callouts he wants...That doesn't change the fact that TimVP called me out and trashed me for not posting...then he did the same thing.

I figured he was working on the grades :smokin

Bottom line is that the Spurs would do both of those trades over again the exact same way...We turned Elliott into Rodman and Rodman into Perdue...and we got Elliott back for Billy Curley...Perdue and Elliott were essential keys to our first title...It's a dark period in Pistons history when they were made fools of...by both Elliott and the Spurs...

You want them to retire Elliott's jersey for it?

Show me the Brent Barry thread that I missed. Where is it?

Oh and having Whottt on FearDaFro's side pretty much makes it a lock that they are related.

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 02:58 PM
whottt should burn for that. Yet another part of NBA and Spur history that whottt is clueless about.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 03:00 PM
And bashing one of the best players in Spurs history and not knowing the full facts behind it isn't?

You still don't understand.

I'm not bashing one of the best players in Spurs history. I'm bashing one of the worst players in PISTONS history.

I knew about Sean's kidney issues. Everybody did. I actually held back most of my anger towards for a while because of that. I thought 1994 might be his last year. I was HAPPY we got a 1st rounder for him.

Then I saw him play in 1995 and 1996.

That made me hate him even MORE.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 03:01 PM
ok so... whott and detroit fans say that the year he finds out he's got a kidney problem... the year he gets traded... elliott should have taken the ball away from zeek... a detroit legend... and scored 20+ a night. otherwise he was doggin it.

despite health issues that eventually lead to a transplant.
ok.

you know, i think he could have adjusted to the kidney thing in detroit... like he did in sa... but the relationship between him and management was bad and screwed over by zeek. they were just looking to trade him again.

06-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Why does it always come back to trolling?

Elliot played like shit that year. If he expressed any interest in staying, they wouldn't of traded him for Billy freakin' Curley. Essentially, we gave up Rodman(a popular player for us back then) for nothing.

He was paid to produce and he didn't. Make all the excuses you want, but that is what it boils down to.

BTW, I think it's the way he left that irks many of us the most. He never gave the Pistons a chance...

timvp
06-15-2005, 03:02 PM
You still don't understand.

I'm not bashing one of the best players in Spurs history. I'm bashing one of the worst players in PISTONS history.

I knew about Sean's kidney issues. I actually held back most of my anger towards for a while.

Then I saw him play in 1995 and 1996.

That made me hate him even MORE.

Alright, but you didn't know Elliott was diagnosed with his kidney condition when he was on the Pistons. I'm not sure how that is possible if you were a Pistons fan at that time.

But yeah, go ahead and hate him. It's your right. The Spurs traded Dennis Rodman for Bill Curley ... I'd be mad too.

whottt
06-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Charles Smith couldn't help it that he broke down after he got traded here...

I've seen TimVP rip him more than I have any one...

It's the exact same thing.

Spurs fans are making excuses for a player that they, and no other team, have many reasons to love.

And BTW, I love Sean Elliott and championed his jersey retirement...it worked out great for us. WTG Sean. I mean this seriously...Fuck the Pistons...

But don't fuck em and expect them to love you for it.

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Why does it always come back to trolling?

Elliot played like shit that year. If he expressed any interest in staying, they wouldn't of traded him for Billy freakin' Curley. Essentially, we gave up Rodman(a popular player for us back then) for nothing.

He was paid to produce and he didn't. Make all the excuses you want, but that is what it boils down to.

BTW, I think it's the way he left that irks many of us the most. He never gave the Pistons a chance...

Because the man was seriously sick. Also, how was he supposed to put up the numbers when he didn't get the touches?

timvp
06-15-2005, 03:06 PM

It's the exaxct same thing.

Spurs fans are making excuses for a player that they, and no other team, have many reasons to love.

Uh ... give me one link to where I ripped Charles Smith. Also, give me that link to where I can post my thoughts on Brent Barry.

(Watch Whottt leave this thread and never come back)

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM

It's the exaxct same thing.

All I've ever seen are Spurs fans ripping on Pop for trading for a player in his condition. Spurs waived the medical clearance on that trade and paid the price.

That's different than dumping on a sick player who was still trying to earn his pay and make a contribution.

Just when I thought whottt couldn't go any lower...

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM

It's the exact same thing.

You've seen Timvp rip the Knicks for trading damaged goods to the Spurs, and the Spurs for taking them. You haven't seen Timvp rip Charles Smith for being damaged goods.

Not the exact same thing.

timvp
06-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Whottt makes things up and then hides. I wonder how long before he's seen in this thread again.

T Park
06-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Pistons fans have to answer that question.

Mills Dumars and others put up big numbers, how was Elliott supposed to with those guys taking all of em???

06-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Because the man was seriously sick. Also, how was he supposed to put up the numbers when he didn't get the touches?

Right. Did he give back any of the money because of the illness? Why was he playing if he had that serious of an illness?

Did he try to work it out in Detroit? <-----This is why I don't like him.

Zeke managed 8.5 assists/game by passing to everyone EXCEPT Sean.

He averaged 2 less shots in 4 less minutes than the year prior. Sounds about the same number of touches to me...

Kori Ellis
06-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Did he give back any of the money because of the illness? Why was he playing if he had that serious of an illness?

:wtf

Are you trying to deny that he had that serious of an illness? It's very well documented that Elliott was diagnosed that year and went through a lot of different medications while they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him.

T Park
Did he give back any of the money because of the illness? Why was he playing if he had that serious of an illness?

First off, why, if he is sick, should he give back any money?

Second, he didnt know how SERIOUS it was. IT WAS THE FIRST YEAR OF THE MEDS!!

GOD WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND!???!?!?!?!?!?!?

SPARKY
Right. Did he give back any of the money because of the illness? Why was he playing if he had that serious of an illness?

Piston Fan needs to understand that he didn't need to play to have been paid. Of course, if Elliott sat out because of the illness then Piston fan would dump on him for that.

Did he try to work it out in Detroit?

He averaged 2 less shots in 4 less minutes than the year prior. Sounds about the same number of touches to me...

You do realize that players also score by going to the line, no?

06-15-2005, 03:15 PM
:wtf

Are you trying to deny that he had that serious of an illness? It's very well documented that Elliott was diagnosed that year and went through a lot of different medications while they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him.

No, I'm saying that he shouldn't be playing if it affected him that much.

T Park
06-15-2005, 03:16 PM

Had Zeke the trading Guru, not sabotaged Sean's time there, then yeah he probobly wouldve wanted to try and work it out there.

timvp

Okay so you wanted him to go to the Pistons and then not play at all? Then you all wouldn't hate him?

Okay :lol

Kori Ellis

He would have still got paid, and then Pistons fans would be saying he faked how seriously ill he was, especially since he played the next season.

constantstate

that was the year he found out about the illness... and no, alot of people thought that if he couldnt controll it with meds, he wouldnt be able to play. he was playing because he doesnt quit. he didnt in 99 when it got really bad and he was basically throwing up after games. he had a contract with detroit and he was trying to work it out.

i dont know why zeek didnt like him. probably because they traded rodman and officially the bad-boys were no more. maybe it was the way he saw sean playing not knowing he was sick. in 99 no one knew that the kidney problem was that bad either. he hid it from everyone except steve kerr.

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Fuck it. I don't care if Piston Fan is pissed that his franchise traded Dennis Rodman for a year's rental of a sick Elliott and Wild Bill Curley.

But if Piston Fan wants to come into our house and talk shit about Sean Elliott then he shouldn't cry when his arguments are ripped to shreds...

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Fuck it. I don't care if Piston Fan is pissed that his franchise traded Dennis Rodman for a year's rental of a sick Elliott and Wild Bill Curley.

But if Piston Fan wants to come into our house and talk shit about Sean Elliott then he shouldn't cry when his arguments are ripped to shreds...

We didn't start this. You guys did.

whottt
06-15-2005, 03:20 PM
This thread is amazing because Spurs fans are acting like Elliott wanted to be a Piston...he didn't and he's said so. He said he felt like the world ended the day he found out he got traded...it was the worst day of his NBA career and the day he got traded back to SA was the best.

I've never heard Elliott say one time that he really wanted to make it work and gave it best effort. all I've ever heard him say is that he was miserable and missed SA.....

What I have seen him say when asked about it...Who? Detroit? Never heard of em. He said it last night MOF.

Elliott was our hero...not theirs and I've never seen anything to indicate he had any deisre to make it work in Detroit, kidney problems or not. Only that he wanted out and was miserable about that traded from the day it was announced.

What you guys are doing to these poor Pistons fans borders on sadism...talk about expecting them to take their shit sandwich and like it...

ShoogarBear
06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Look, you guys can rag on Elliott all you want, but when you try to come off like you understand kidney disease, you're making absolute, complete, utter morons of yourselves.

Yes, FSGS and treatment with high-dose glucocorticoid steroid therapy can do exactly what Elliott claims. The usual course of the therapy is about 6-8 months, during which time he probably felt like crap. I'm amazed that anyone could play professional sports at all on that. After that, assuming he went into a partial remission, it wouldn't be surprising at all for him to return to his former level.

T Park
06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
This thread is amazing because Spurs fans are acting like Elliott wanted to be a Piston...he didn't and he's said so. He said he felt like the world ended the day he found out he got traded...it was the worst day of his NBA career and the day he got traded back to SA was the best.

I've never heard Elliott say one time that he really wanted to make it work and gave it best effort. all I've ever heard him say is that he was miserable and missed SA.....

What I have seen him say when asked about it...Who? Detroit? Never heard of em. He said it last night MOF.

Elliott was our hero...not theirs and I've never seen anything to indicate he had any deisre to make it work in Detroit, kidney problems or not. Only that he wanted out and was miserable about that traded from the day it was announced.

What you guys are doing to these poor Pistons fans borders on sadism...talk about expecting them to take their shit sandwich and like it...

I notice no answer for TIMVP's questions.

06-15-2005, 03:24 PM
He would have still got paid, and then Pistons fans would be saying he faked how seriously ill he was, especially since he played the next season.

But maybe he is still in Detroit the next season playing like he did in SA.

They traded him because he didn't want to be here. That's weak and any fan of any team doesn't take that too well.

jcrod
06-15-2005, 03:25 PM

That was his first yr he was diagnoised. Name me a player who has given money back.

Did he try to work it out in Detroit? <-----This is why I don't like him.

Thats totally understandable and you should feel that way.

Yes, they've both have admitted that Zeke hated Sean from the get go. What else do you want????

constantstate
06-15-2005, 03:27 PM

whatever man. thats different than saying he was "dogging it" like VC. if you discount the fact that he was sick, and that his production was effected because of it? (no way are you a fan)

you're gonna tell me he didnt have a kidney problem?
dont tell me, tell his brother.

i dont think sean has it in him to dog anything.

Rematch+Repeat=Revenge
06-15-2005, 03:27 PM
What I don't understand is why does anybody even care? It didn't bother me when Bill Lambeer got nothing but hate from the NBA. He was on my team, I liked him, who gives a rat's ass what anybody else thinks?

Besides, once the series is over, the Pistons fans will fade away anyway.

Just for record, I don't feel either way about Elliott. He's not on our team. He left and did well afterward. Good for him. I don't lose sleep over a player that was only here for one season.

constantstate
06-15-2005, 03:29 PM

They traded him because he didn't want to be here. That's weak and any fan of any team doesn't take that too well.

ok now thats a better argument. but while you're at it, think about why he didnt like it... sure he liked sa and never wanted the trade... but i think he would have loved detroit and the better pub (eventually) had he not been slapped by zeek and gotten that bad rap on him.

06-15-2005, 03:29 PM
whatever man. thats different than saying he was "dogging it" like VC. if you discount the fact that he was sick, and that his production was effected because of it? (no way are you a fan)

How can you say for sure that he wasn't dogging it? He said he didn't want to come here, hated being here and pushed his way out. But he played his ass off here? Cmon :rolleyes

jcrod
06-15-2005, 03:30 PM

You're right, but would you want to stay with a team who's leader hates you and makes the whole team hate you???? You can't blame him from wanting to get out.

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:31 PM
We didn't start this. You guys did.

Actually, Piston Fan did. But you've been gone for the past couple of days.

whottt
06-15-2005, 03:32 PM

I am telling you Sean Elliott never wanted to be a Piston, he never wanted to be anything but a San Antonio Spur...and to say otherwise is an insult to Sean Elliott and the intelligence of these Pistons fans...because they know it..and so do we. If he'd been healthy he'd have still wanted out because he loved SA and that's where he wanted to be. Elliott was a Spur not a Piston...that's why his jersey hangs in our gym.

I am pretty sure the Pistons traded Elliott back to the Spurs because it was the best thing for him, his mental state, and his health. And they bit the bullet on that trade.

SPARKY

Perhaps being treated like shit by the team, local media and fans while sick as a dog might've, just might've, had something to do with that.

constantstate
What I don't understand is why does anybody even care? It didn't bother me when Bill Lambeer got nothing but hate from the NBA. He was on my team, I liked him, who gives a rat's ass what anybody else thinks?

im a spurs fan and i liked bill laimbeer. he was a whiny b&*h but every time he hit a 3 with that shotput style... i mean... how can you float around the 3pt line and still be a "banger"? (amazing)

and if you read what i said before, he was the only one that sean thought gave him a chance (out of the old pistons)

T Park
06-15-2005, 03:33 PM
They won a game, so they are feelin ballsy no question.

jcrod

You freaking Idiot. Can't you read. Nobody's pissed cause they hate Sean. IT's their basis for hating him. Nobody's arguing Sean didn't want to be there. We're saying there are reasons for his subpar season and he wasn't sandbagging it. READ!!!!!!!!!

SPARKY
I am telling you Sean Elliott never wanted to be a Piston, he never wanted to be anything but a San Antonio Spur...and to say otherwise is an insult to Sean Elliott and the intelligence of these Pistons fans...because they know it..and so do we. If he'd been healthy he'd have still wanted out because he loved SA and that's where he wanted to be. Elliott was a Spur not a Piston...that's why his jersey hangs in our gym.

I am pretty sure the Pistons traded Elliott back to the Spurs because it was the best thing for him, his mental state, and his health. And they bit the bullet on that trade.

Hey dumbfuck they are bagging on him for his performance while playing sick.

whottt will dump on a sick Elliott but not a healthy Billion Barry...

constantstate
06-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I am telling you Sean Elliott never wanted to be a Piston, he never wanted to be anything but a San Antonio Spur...and to say otherwise is an insult to Sean Elliott and the intelligence of these Pistons fans...because they know it..and so do we.

you've been listening to too much steven a smith.

but no, i dont think he liked the trade. I DO think he would have adapted and adjusted (with the meds) just like he did here. if that second trade back had never happened... i think he would have adapted.

Rematch+Repeat=Revenge
06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
im a spurs fan and i liked bill laimbeer. he was a whiny b&*h but every time he hit a 3 with that shotput style... i mean... how can you float around the 3pt line and still be a "banger"? (amazing)

and if you read what i said before, he was the only one that sean thought gave him a chance (out of the old pistons)

Yeah, I saw that. I only used Laimbeer because he's the only Pistons player I could think of that was pretty much unilaterally reviled. And yet Scotty Pippen got loads of respect. I could never quite figure that one out.

06-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Perhaps being treated like shit by the team, local media and fans while sick as a dog might've, just might've, had something to do with that.

Even before he came here, right?

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Elliott is one of the most revered players in Spurs history. It's not hard to understand that if you come into a Spurs fan forum and dump on him you aren't going to be greeted with rose petals...

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Even before he came here, right?

Sure, he was sick throughout the 90s. His kidney illness was a direct result of the inflammatories he had been taking for his knees. Again, none of this is new news, except perhaps to Piston Fan.

06-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Sure, he was sick throughout the 90s. His kidney illness was a direct result of the inflammatories he had been taking for his knees. Again, none of this is new news, except perhaps to Piston Fan.

I'm not talking about his illness. He never wanted to be here and played like it.

Did he play they way he did because of his illness or because he hated Detroit?

You can't say for sure either way.

Excuse us for not revering a guy who has said on record that he never wanted to be a Piston and then forced his way out...

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Who can blame him? If he's going to be dumped on for nutting it up and playing while sick...

06-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Who can blame him? If he's going to be dumped on for nutting it up and playing while sick...

Piston Fan

You guys would be the same way if the situation was reversed...

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
See Smith, Charles. No player hating then...

whottt
06-15-2005, 03:57 PM
You freaking Idiot. Can't you read. Nobody's pissed cause they hate Sean. IT's their basis for hating him. Nobody's arguing Sean didn't want to be there. We're saying there are reasons for his subpar season and he wasn't sandbagging it. READ!!!!!!!!!

um idiot...I can go back a couple of pages and see you saying he dogged it and then pull the Isiah card to excuse it...it might even be on this page..

So exactly what you are saying different than the Pistons fans? You are just excusing it.

I don't why you guys are expecting the Pistons to have a love in for a guy that wanted out of their city and off their team...and it had nothing to do with kidneys and he did pout...he pouted, I watched him do it. He wanted the fuck out of there.

I watched him break down and cry during the middle of that season in an interview about how miserable he was there...the middle of that season...when they were talking to him about his struggles.

I am sure he had good reasons to do it, and I don't care if he did or not he's still a SA hero..but he wasn't Mr.Piston.

But you guys are acting this is all the Pistons fault...it's just as much the Spurs and Elliott's fault. He did not want to be there...it showed in his attitude and his play.

And if some guy came here and did the same thing you guys would act just like the Pistons would...

They are right...we trash Alonzo Mourning on this site and we don't give a fuck about his kidneys and I've even seen one prominent member of this board say it was karma for his attitude towards Drob.

SPARKY
06-15-2005, 04:02 PM
whottt, maybe he hated it there because he was playing while sick and getting treated like shit?

But I know, Barry plays like shit and you ride his nuts like he's the second coming...

whottt
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Did he play they way he did because of his illness or because he hated Detroit?

You can't say for sure either way.

I can say for sure he hated Detroit, it's fans, and he wanted out of there...you are dead on. And he would have even if he had been healthy. And I agree that a miserable guy does not play as well as a happy guy.
I think it was the aids rumor that really made him want out.

But anyway thanks for trading him back...I know part of the reason the Pistons traded him back to SA was because it was the best thing Elliott and what he wanted...so for that...I give heartfelt thanks to the classy Pistons organization. It worked out incredibly well for us and Sean...you guys unfortunatley got fucked.

whottt
06-15-2005, 04:13 PM
whottt, maybe he hated it there because he was playing while sick and getting treated like shit?

I'd say that definitely was a contributing factor...how does that change the Pistons fans POV though?

Isiah was their hero...he saw Sean wasn't gonna be a "Piston" didn't have the desire or the mindset.... and he wanted him off his team...sounds like something AJ would do to me.

But I know, Barry plays like shit and you ride his nuts like he's the second coming...

You act like I hate Sean Elliott...he's my second favorite Spur ever....and the main reason for that is because all he ever wanted to be was a Spur...not a Piston.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Man, I finally waded through all the shit in this thread and I have to say that I'm shocked (SHOCKED!) that there is an issue where two fans from different teams don't agree on. I was pretty young when all this went down (and I was actually something of a Pistons fan at the time as well.) I didn't know anything about the kidneys at the time but when I did watch the Pistons games there was clearly something physically wrong with Elliot. I remember wondering why in the hell they didn't get the ball to him more.

What I want to know is what the hell did the Pistons expect? You were taking a guy out of one of the most friendly fan atmospheres in pro sports and throwing him into a pressure cooker of a team still living in the shadow of championships? And one that was built significantly differently than his old team, where he had had so much success? All of that would combine to a heap of problems adjusting for one of the best players in the league, which Sean never was. He was always a role player, a very good one at times, but never really a superstar.

All the kidney and Zeke talk aside, I think the Pistons just bet on the wrong horse, kidneys or no. And you know why I think I'm validated in this, ask any of the fans on this forum what they think about Dennis Rodman. He went through all the same shit that Elliot and he fell apart down here just as bad in reality. His rebounding numbers were good but he never really became a part of the team and actually helped them win. And I'll probably get blasted for saying that, but face facts, you watched the WCF in 95 the same as I did. Who jacked up a bunch of shitty 3's and who was supposed to be covering Horry? Who took his shoes off on the bench?

So who here loves Rodman as much as they do Elliot? And what Pistons fans here think that Rodman couldn't make it work here because he was a quitter? Elliot had a lot of shit working against him, and to accuse him of faking/exploiting an injury is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

timvp
06-15-2005, 04:30 PM
It’s amazing that no Piston fan knows the circumstances around their own team during this time period. I didn’t think I’d have to do a whole history piece, but I guess it is needed.

Dennis Rodman was sitting in front of the arena with a loaded weapon. Pistons get spooked. The Spurs, because John Lucas wasn’t a fan of Sean Elliott, trade Elliott a 24-year-old small forward who is coming off of his best season for a 32-year-old power forward with suicidal thoughts who had suffered through an injury plagued season. Every basketball pundit in America is laughing at the Spurs for trading an All-Star caliber player for a lunatic. The Spurs were happy because they found someone crazier than John Lucas to pair with the coach.

The Spurs play that season with Lucas and his motto of “Pass To David”. That allowed Robinson to average almost 30 points per game and almost win MVP. Rodman plays pretty well, but the Spurs lose in the first round because they were a gimmick team with no real second option.

In Detroit, Sean Elliott signs a contract extension. The contract stipulates that he has a no trade clause – with the only teams he can be traded to being the Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs.

Elliott starts off the year slowly. Isiah Thomas calls him out and says he isn’t wanted. Thomas was pissed that Rodman was traded and that the Bad Boys were no more. He holds that grudge on the court and the stories circulate about how Elliott and Thomas don’t see eye to eye and how Thomas doesn’t pass to him.

Then Elliott complains of flu-like symptoms and they start running tests on him. They see that his kidney blood test numbers were through the roof, so they put him on a medication and steroid cocktail. Elliott’s play suffers as he loses a lot of weight and he experiences other reactions to the medication. Rumors start floating around because Elliott is in and out of the hospital. He continues to play basketball against the advice of some of his doctors and with his condition a secret.

The Pistons then try and trade him to the Houston Rockets for Robert Horry. The Rockets reject the trade after running Elliott through a physical. They tell Elliott that he’s in serious danger and that his basketball career is most likely over. (Interestingly enough, those same Rockets go ahead and win the NBA championship).

Before Elliott can announce what his condition is, the Detroit media publishes a report that Elliott has AIDS and that is why he’s been in and out of the hospital. Because of the AIDS report, Elliott is forced to hold a press conference to tell the world about his kidney condition and how he’s on steroids. He also says that doctors tell him he’ll eventually need a kidney transplant.

The season ends and the Pistons finish 20-62. The draft comes and the Pistons get the third pick. With Grant Hill drafted, the Pistons call the Spurs looking to trade Sean Elliott. The Pistons don’t want Hill to have to come in and face another All-Star quality small forward. They want to clear the way for him but their options of trading partners are limited to the Rockets (who want no part of him because they think his career is over), the Suns (who have Dan Majerle, Wesley Person and Richard Dumas at small forward) and the Spurs.

(Also notice how the Pistons quietly got Thomas and Laimbeer to also retire to give the control of the team over to Hill)

New Spurs general manager Gregg Popovich fields the call and is interested even though there is serious doubt to the health of Sean Elliott. The Pistons eye Bill Curley and say that if he’s around when the Spurs pick, they’ll trade Elliott for him. Curley magically drops to the Spurs and the Spurs pick him to complete the pre-arranged deal. At this time, this trade isn’t looked upon as a steal because of Elliott’s medical condition and the Pistons Nation swearing that Curley is the reincarnation of Laimbeer.

By this time, Elliott gets his medicine intake lowered and is taken off the steroids. That allows him to gain back the weight he lost and have a full summer working out. The Spurs use Elliott as their number two scoring option and Popovich also goes out and gets former Spur Avery Johnson, who is more than happy to pass the ball to Elliott.

The Spurs finish with the best record in the league and make it to the Western Conference Finals, where they lose to Robert Horry and the Houston Rockets. Even though they lose, it’s the best showing in franchise history and that team lays the framework for the beginning of a successful Popovich era.

In Detroit, the Pistons still suck – winning only 28 games. Bill Curley plays like the worst player to ever dribble leather, while Sean Elliott becomes an All-Star. The hate for Elliott begins in Detroit while the championship foundation is being laid in San Antonio.

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Question.

Wich trade was worse.

Elliott for Rodman

or Curley for Elliott????

They actually though Curley was a GOOD player?!?!?! lmao, OMG, even Hubie Brown that night first thing he said was "This to me sends up a red flag that there might be a trade"

In other words, this guy is a stiff the Spurs have two good bigs, WTF would they draft this balding Jack Haley for.