PDA

View Full Version : so who won this round?

stretch
10-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Cliff Lee, who didnt get out of the first round in Philly?

Or the Texas Rangers, who got back to the World Series, but lack of a true ace majorly hurt them?

Magua
10-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Technically, it's a draw b/c they both remain ringless...but texas was one strike away (twice) from closing it out and it had nothing to do with the starting pitcher at that point. Texas ultimately got the better of it. Starting pitching woes paled in comparison to fielding errors and shoddy relief pitching in the WS

stretch
10-31-2011, 03:06 PM
a true ace pitcher though, could have been the difference between winning or losing game 7.

Axe Murderer
10-31-2011, 03:21 PM
a true ace pitcher though, could have been the difference between winning or losing game 7.

this. game 7 really exposed us for not having a true ace. Unless Harrison pitched the game of his life, the Cards were gonna win that game

Blake
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Cliff Lee.

Got the cash and doesn't have to pitch in that god awful sauna in Arlington any more.

JamStone
10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Good question. Rangers made it further in the post season, but they both lost to the same team. Could easily argue the Rangers because money saved did help them signing Beltre, which I think many of us who questioned him in the off season have to admit lived up to his salary at least this season. Lee could have helped. He lost to the Cardinals in the first round but pitched well against them in the regular season.

I do think that making it back to the World Series after losing Lee probably helps the Rangers in terms of evaluating their decision on how to handle CJ Wilson. If he is willing to re-sign at a reasonable price, I'm sure the Rangers would like to have him back. But once you start getting into $17+ million a year range, they may just let him walk, perhaps move Feliz into the rotation and spend some serious coin on another closer.