PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Grass

Kori Ellis
11-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know the going rate for artificial grass/turf (plus installation)?

I want to put it in a small (600 sq foot?) fenced in section of our yard where we are going to put a small swingset, etc.

tlongII
11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I think this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_cannabis) is what you're looking for.

Kyle Orton
11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
K2 will fuck with your brain tbh, stick with the naturally grown bud imho

vato loco
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
pretty sure they stopped selling that shit since september

i used to buy that klimax shit but can't get it no more, we gta start buying the real thing kori sorry :(

mavs>spurs
11-01-2011, 06:56 PM
what kind of grass? i wouldn't even bother with st augustine in texas, shit is a huge hassle to keep alive in the summer. you have to like flood that shit daily, not just your regular amount of water imho.

edit: crofl, just read grass

leemajors
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
what kind of grass? i wouldn't even bother with st augustine in texas, shit is a huge hassle to keep alive in the summer. you have to like flood that shit daily, not just your regular amount of water imho.

she asked about artificial grass

The Reckoning
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
already training the bebes to be pro athletes?

Koolaid_Man
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM

I want to put it in a small (600 sq foot?) fenced in section of our yard where we are going to put a small swingset, etc.

I don't know...but for you I will look it up in a jiffy...

Koolaid_Man
11-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Mama here is a nice comparison...tomorrow I want pepper crusted, peach glazed salmon with steamed Asparagus for dinner...ok mommy...

http://www.ecowaterlessgrass.com/synthetic-grass-pricing-comparison/

mavs>spurs
11-01-2011, 08:33 PM
oh shit wow thread fail crofl.

Kori Ellis
11-01-2011, 09:46 PM
:lol

I'm sure someone here on SpursTalk in San Antonio has artificial turf in their backyard. That's why I asked.

Our house is on two acres and the grass in the backyard isn't "playable" for kids in most areas. We have a small area of the yard that is fenced in, right outside one of the backdoors. So, I want to put artificial grass in there and a small swing set, etc.

Thanks for the effort, Kool.

DMC
11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Kori,

My fishing friend has a landscaping company. I will ask him about it and let you know, if someone doesn't get it for you first.

Koolaid_Man
11-01-2011, 10:08 PM

I'm sure someone here on SpursTalk in San Antonio has artificial turf in their backyard. That's why I asked.

Our house is on two acres and the grass in the backyard isn't "playable" for kids in most areas. We have a small area of the yard that is fenced in, right outside one of the backdoors. So, I want to put artificial grass in there and a small swing set, etc.

what you're trying to do doesn't sound like a good idea but I stand to be corrected. I would be concerned with turf burns...also why don't you just sod the non playable areas...or sod 1/2 an acre and throw grass seed on another 1/2 and let them play on it...let the other acre grow wild...you could also use sand...do me a favor a buy them a see-saw and a merry go round...:toast let Kool spend your money for you...:lol

BlackSwordsMan
11-01-2011, 10:11 PM
what you're trying to do doesn't sound like a good idea but I stand to be corrected. I would be concerned with turf burns...also why don't you just sod the non playable areas...or sod 1/2 an acre and throw grass seed on another 1/2 and let them play on it...let the other acre grow wild...you could also use sand...do me a favor a buy them a see-saw and a merry go round...:toast let Kool spend your money for you...:lol

Don't worry about turf burns worry about rug burns you kiss ass you don't know shit about turf grass stop wasting kori's time

Koolaid_Man
11-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Kori,

My fishing friend has a landscaping company. I will ask him about it and let you know, if someone doesn't get it for you first.

sounds like some gay shit..."my fishing friend"....all you had to say was that you cut grass for a living and you would ask your boss about it....:lol

Kori Ellis
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks, DMC.

And they don't like merry-go-rounds, but I might consider a see-saw.
When I was little, we had a see-saw that went up and down, and spun around... kind of like a see-saw and a merry-go-round in one.

Koolaid_Man
11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Don't worry about turf burns worry about rug burns you kiss ass you don't know shit about turf grass stop wasting kori's time

I do more than kiss asses...:lol I know you can get turf burns for sure...especially playing kids...don't you have a tranny meeting or something to attend to...stop talking to me already...put me on ignore please...:lol

Koolaid_Man
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Dickhead.

And they don't like merry-go-rounds, but I might consider a see-saw.
When I was little, we had a see-saw that went up and down, and spun around... kind of like a see-saw and a merry-go-round in one.

how can a kid not like a merry go round...:lol I'm looking to add zip 40 ft lines from the trees in my back yard...it's something I'm investigating...I'm a big kid at heart...

Koolaid_Man
11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Kori, I can get this stuff at a pretty good price. Send me pics of the backyard and I can probably get a better online estimate.

http://hstrial-athleticdesigngr.intuitwebsites.com/green2.jpg

you do realize by doing this that your helping my family financially...proceed on...ohhh and :lmao @ I can get a a better online estimate....Who Can't :lol

Geez...Kori says thanks Kool and you sissy boys go ape nuts trying to impress her...:lol

RandomGuy
11-02-2011, 08:38 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/698640-has-anyone-used-artificial-grass-3.html

If that is in the ballpark, 600 sq foot of stuff would run about $2100.

The guy in that post used a figure of about $3.6 per sq ft. I am guessing that is probably a bit on the low end. There appear to be no shortage of dealers who can probably provide estimates.

One thing to bear in mind though, was a report I heard on KUT that had an interesting tidbit.

But even the best artificial turf can’t withstand the worst Texas heat. At Wylie High School outside Abilene, the athletics department had to water its artificial turf this summer. The scorching triple digit temperatures warmed the rubber infill up to 185 degrees in some parts. And the football team? They held their practices on good old fashioned grass.

http://www.tpr.org/news/2011/10/news11102706.html

Don't imagine that you will be letting the little one play when it gets that hot anyways, but something to bear in mind.

Here is the best link I found:
http://www.costowl.com/home-improvement/landscaping-artificial-lawn.html

•Artificial lawn prices start at $4 to $10 per square foot for do it yourself installation. For a 1000 square foot area, this works out to a total artificial lawn cost of $4000 to $10,000. It is recommended to create a 2-4 inch base of crushed stone, which costs around $15-$25 per ton. A 1000 square foot lawn will need about 5 tons at a total cost of about $100. Renting a cement compactor, a sod cutter and a drop spreader aren’t necessary, but will make the job easier.
•Installation will cost an additional $3-$5 per square foot. For a 1000 square foot lawn, this brings the total cost up to around $8000 using cheaper materials, and $14,000 for premium artificial turf lawn.
•A typical installation of artificial grass includes first removing all grass, roots, stones and other debris from the area of installation. The area should be flattened and smoothed before a layer of crushed rock is applied. The rocks should also be made as level as possible. Then, the material is laid over the area and cut to size. After that the turf is nailed down at 12” intervals around the edges. A few nails should also be added near the center. The next step is to apply an infill such as sand, rubber or a mix of the two to keep the turf upright and protect it from weather and pet waste. Finally, the turf is brushed with a stiff broom to give it a full and solid look.
•Routine maintenance for homeowners with pets includes hosing the area down and occasionally applying a mild detergent. It may also need to be raked or swept from time to time to keep it looking clean and full.
•Because synthetic grass doesn’t need to be mowed, watered or fertilized, it saves money over time and in many cases can pay for itself an average 10-15 year life span

For a small project, DIY does seem to save a good chunk. Throw a BBQ during the cool months, invite some buddies, and BAM! BBQ probably would cost less than contracted installation, if you trust your tipsy/full amatuer friends to help.

RandomGuy
11-02-2011, 08:46 AM

If the area is small enough, you might want to consider installation of a shade-dohicky.

http://www.tricoshade.com/playgrounds.htm

http://www.tricoshade.com/images/apps/playground-shadesail.jpg

My kids daycare had one for their playground equipment. Kept the thing from getting to 3,000,000 degrees in the sun, and let them play when it was sprinkling without getting too wet.

When the kid gets older, you can take out the swingset and still use it as a picnic area.

Wife and I have been meaning to get a cheap, portable version of this for our backyard for a while.

RandomGuy
11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
^^^ Now That's impressive.

I figure if you are gonna plunk down the amount for astroturf, you might as well go for a few square yards of nylon fabric.

DMC
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
For a small project, DIY does seem to save a good chunk. Throw a BBQ during the cool months, invite some buddies, and BAM! BBQ probably would cost less than contracted installation, if you trust your tipsy/full amatuer friends to help.

You must have a different breed of friends. Otherwise what you would have is about 10 drunk people sitting around watching you work while eating your food and drinking your beer, and of course offering you tips on what you aren't doing right.

DMC
11-02-2011, 03:58 PM
So you mow lawns for a living and fish in riverbeds for lunch. :downspin:
No, but I wouldn't be embarrassed about it if I did. Fishing riverbeds for lunch sounds pretty cool actually.

m>s
11-03-2011, 08:07 AM
shit smells like pee when wet tbh

SnakeBoy
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Why don't you just put down a real thick layer of mulch like they do at the playgrounds. Helps cushion the blow when the kids fly off the swing set.

boutons_deux
11-03-2011, 02:50 PM
bring in some good rich top soil, then seed something from here:

http://aggiehorticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/bermuda.html

2Blonde
11-06-2011, 07:18 AM
This site has artificial turf. http://www.envylawn.com/playground-turf.html

This company has some pretty cool solutions for playscapes. http://www.surfaceamerica.com/index.php/playground-surfaces/

Kori Ellis
11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.