PDA

View Full Version : Hard-Core Republicans Attack W On Iraq

Nbadan
09-19-2004, 06:31 PM
tick..tock...tick..tick...You hear that? It's the time running out on the Bush Administration...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Leading members of President Bush (news - web sites)'s Republican Party on Sunday criticized mistakes and "incompetence" in his Iraq (news - web sites) policy and called for an urgent ground offensive to retake insurgent sanctuaries.

In appearances on news talk shows, Republican senators also urged Bush to be more open with the American public after the disclosure of a classified CIA (news - web sites) report that gave a gloomy outlook for Iraq and raised the possibility of civil war.

"The fact is, we're in deep trouble in Iraq ... and I think we're going to have to look at some recalibration of policy," Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

"We made serious mistakes," said Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), an Arizona Republican who has campaigned at Bush's side this year after patching up a bitter rivalry.

McCain, speaking on "Fox News Sunday," cited as mistakes the toleration of looting after the successful U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 and failures to secure Iraq's borders or prevent insurgents from establishing strongholds within the country.

He said a ground offensive was urgently needed to retake areas held by insurgents, but a leading Democrat accused the administration of stalling for fear of hurting Bush's reelection chances.

The criticisms came as Bush prepared this week to host Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi and focus strongly on Iraq after stepped up attacks from Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites).

After the CIA report was disclosed on Thursday, Kerry accused the president of living in a "fantasy world of spin" about Iraq and of not telling the truth about the growing chaos.

McCain said Bush had been "perhaps not as straight as maybe we'd like to see."

"I think the president is being clear. I would like to see him more clear," McCain said. He said Congress was expected to hold hearings on Iraq soon.

Sen. Richard Lugar (news, bio, voting record), an Indiana Republican and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, also criticized the administration's handling of Iraq's reconstruction.

Only $1 billion of $18.4 billion allocated by Congress for the task has been spent, Lugar said. "This is the incompetence in the administration," he said on ABC's "This Week."

Yahoo (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=1&u=/nm/20040919/pl_nm/iraq_usa_policy_dc)

More confirmation that the war in Iraq is not going well for the U.S., and that W. is having trouble keeping his own base satisfied. Many Republicans feel as I that W. has polticized the war in Iraq by micromanaging the battles from the White House, and in effect, handcuffing our military commanders on the field.

Yonivore
09-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Call me when Hastert and Frist start whining.

McCain a "hard-core" Republican? C'mon.

DeSPURado
09-19-2004, 09:49 PM
http://sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2004/09/19/meyer-594x472-cartoon.gif

Joe Chalupa
09-20-2004, 12:59 PM
I think it is a good thing.

So now John McCain, a man I highly respect, is not a "republican" because of his view on Iraq?

I guess I understand since Zell Miller is no democrat. :rolleyes

Yonivore
09-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I never said he wasn't a Republican...I just think "hard-core" is a little bit of a stretch given his statements over the past year.

Hey, he's entitled to his opinion. But, ascribing this dissent to "hard-core" Republicans is silly. As silly as saying Zell Miller represents "hard-core" Demoncrats.

Joe Chalupa
09-20-2004, 01:08 PM
I concur.