PDA

View Full Version : Our 2 Party System At Work: GOP Kills Jobs Bill

FuzzyLumpkins
11-03-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57317960-503544/reid-gets-the-last-word-on-jobs-but-senate-gop-nixes-infrastructure-bill/

Republicans in the Senate on Thursday killed another piece of President Obama's jobs agenda -- a $60 billion bill to invest in infrastructure -- but not before accusing Democrats of putting politics ahead of job creation.

Democrats were ready to return the favor by voting down a GOP infrastructure bill and calling Republicans the party with the wrong intentions.

"I can't imagine that [Republicans] really believe they're doing the right thing," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on the Senate floor ahead of the vote. "I would hope someday we'll see a few Republicans break from the pack and vote to create jobs rather than trying to defeat President Obama."

GOP voted as a block to filibuster.

The filibuster needs to be done away with. just get rid of the simple majority and change it 60% or get rid of the filibuster for fucks sake.

Beohner cited a .7% hike to the tax rate for Americans making over $1m annually as the basis for rejection. That is 7/1000.

Democrats are now apparently doing the tit for tat thing.

Consitutional amendments are needed badly as history is repeating itself. 2011 stinks like 1995.

baseline bum
11-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Just get rid of the fucking senate period. Amazing that geographic lines get equal votes instead of people when it comes to electing that piece of shit branch.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
There wasn't anything wrong with filibusters until the Republicans decided to whore the filibuster from 2009 to now.

Just like there wasn't anything wrong with the president vetoing until Bush did it a record amount of times from 2006-2008.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
There wasn't anything wrong with filibusters until the Republicans decided to whore the filibuster from 2009 to now.

Just like there wasn't anything wrong with the president vetoing until Bush did it a record amount of times from 2006-2008.

Fillibuster whoring has a history since the beginning. It was asinine then and it is worse now. Its the shining star of an example of how a process put together over 200 years ago needs to be revisited.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Just get rid of the fucking senate period. Amazing that geographic lines get equal votes instead of people when it comes to electing that piece of shit branch.

I have a friend who was an aide to a senator back about 6 years ago. The arrogance of senate members is institutionalized. 6 year posts much more lavish offices and the like just lends to an adversarial stance.

Once they took the election of senators away from the states they should have just gotten rid of the institution altogether. The entire point of its existence was to give state assemblies power within the federal government. Now it just exists to create obstruction as its a check on nothing.

I agree get rid of the senate and the single member districts. instead have party votes with the state as a multimember district dependent on the state population.

Nbadan
11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Just limit filibusters, no need to recreate the wheel...

Drachen
11-03-2011, 09:12 PM

I am curious, what do you mean? Like limit the number of filibusters per year or something?

Nbadan
11-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Always plan like you are the minority party.....limits should be placed on issues not partitioned by Senator....would have to think a lot more about a fair process than I am prepared to do now, but I'm pretty sure they could formulate one that would be fair.....

...truth is, the filibuster was never meant to be used the way Republicans are using it today....it circumvents what democracy is supposed to be about..traditionally, it's been used to kill only the most opposed bills....not to lame-duck government while the economy is in crisis.....

....but voters won't hold them accountable...

Drachen
11-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Always plan like you are the minority party.....limits should be placed on issues not partitioned by Senator....would have to think a lot more about a fair process than I am prepared to do now, but I'm pretty sure they could formulate one that would be fair.....

...truth is, the filibuster was never meant to be used the way Republicans are using it today....it circumvents what democracy is supposed to be about..traditionally, it's been used to kill only the most opposed bills....not to lame-duck government while the economy is in crisis.....

....but voters won't hold them accountable...

I feel like there could be a better way too, but to touch on your first point:
Filibuster = Planning like you are the minority party.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I see the Blue team is out in force tonight and outraged that the tax bill didn't pass.

They actually seem shocked and surprised that a bill the Democrats knew was going absolutely nowhere went absolutely nowhere.

:lmao

ElNono
11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I see the Blue team is out in force tonight and outraged that the tax bill didn't pass.

They actually seem shocked and surprised that a bill the Democrats knew was going absolutely nowhere went absolutely nowhere.

I see red team player didn't read what is being talked about here.

It's not the bill that's the problem, but the process. Both sides. The GOP abusing the fillibuster and Dems playing the tit for tat game.

Next time try actually reading...

Nbadan
11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Filibuster = Planning like you are the minority party.

I'm not for taking away a minority parties ability to kill certain bills....I think that right should be reserved to only very unpopular issues though...

Drachen
11-03-2011, 09:47 PM

LOL 9 posts = out in force.
Also LOL, discussing filibuster for half the posts = out in force about the jobs bill.

ElNono
11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
He must've been laughing too hard and missed the part where the GOP bill got killed too.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
When you start talking about reinventing the way our government works so that you can get a win it sounds pretty butt hurt to me.

ElNono
11-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Bills from both parties died today because of petty bullshit. I'm pretty sure that means the butthurt goes all around.

Drachen
11-03-2011, 09:53 PM
When you start talking about reinventing the way our government works so that you can get a win sounds pretty butt hurt to me.

Not *a* win, a stop to obstruction. Also, not one single person talked about reinventing anything. A discussion ensued about a way that one could alter an overly powerful political weapon to increase efficiency. Shoot, even NBADAN admitted to not wanting to take the power away.

Are you this big of a drama queen in real life?

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 09:54 PM
the difference comes down to basic philosophy...does the government spend too much or not tax enough?

This won't be resolved until November 2012 if then. Until then it is gonna be gridlock and both sides are responsible..

Pretty simple really, and nothing to get worked up over.

Drachen
11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
the difference comes down to basic philosophy...does the government spend too much or not tax enough?

This won't be resolved until November 2012 if then. Until then it is gonna be gridlock and both sides are responsible..

Pretty simple really, and nothing to get worked up over.

Funny how you try to frame it as a present tense only as well as a black and white issue.

ElNono
11-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Red herring. The issue is addressing something tangible like unemployment.
Country over party.

I'm pretty sure people didn't vote in Congress to gridlock for years. Either side. That you don't think it's insignificant speaks more about yourself than about the problem.

Some people in dire situations can't wait until next month, much less a full year. Especially when the impediment is some petty partisan bullshit.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Red herring. The issue is addressing something tangible like unemployment.
Country over party.

I'm pretty sure people didn't vote in Congress to gridlock for years. Either side. That you don't think it's insignificant speaks more about yourself than about the problem.

Some people in dire situations can't wait until next month, much less a full year. Especially when the impediment is some petty partisan bullshit.

If you think the government pissing off another half trillion on future construction projects to placate the union base is going to end or even significantly effect systemic unemployment you are out of your fucking mind.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 10:15 PM
The idea that the Federal Government can spend it's way into economic prosperity for the country is ludicrous.

PublicOption
11-03-2011, 10:28 PM
having 2 parties means the 2 parties only have to confuse half the people. too many parties means the politicians would not be able to lie as easily as they do now because at this rate they only need half the people to believe their bullshit.

PublicOption
11-03-2011, 10:32 PM

you nbadan, I remember when you where democrat/liberal to the end. now, I see you have come to realize there aren't GOP v Dems. Its ordinary people vs. corporations.

...and dems and gop'rs are both on the take.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 10:33 PM
It sucks for Obama that his political career peaked in 2008. I remember discussing it in here that I couldn't understand why ANYONE would want to be President right then and eat the inevitable shit sandwich a contracting economy was going to force down their throat. The simple fact is that at some point the government CAN'T fix things...the BEST they can do is "do no harm" and stay the fuck out of it and let the economy gradually heal itself.

Nbadan
11-03-2011, 10:53 PM
you nbadan, I remember when you where democrat/liberal to the end. now, I see you have come to realize there aren't GOP v Dems. Its ordinary people vs. corporations.

...and dems and gop'rs are both on the take.

Oh, I still think 99.99% of Republicans are crooked and conservatism only works during times of broad economic expansion, however, if Dems and Obama had kept more of their promises to reform government and reign in money influence on government, there wouldn't be an occupy movement today...

ElNono
11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
If you think the government pissing off another half trillion on future construction projects to placate the union base is going to end or even significantly effect systemic unemployment you are out of your fucking mind.

Is that what was included in the GOP bill?

You're still missing the point. The point is that there's real people that need real, immediate help, while these congrescritters keep fucking around.

We all get you're not one of those people and thus don't give a flying fuck. But there's no doubt the system as it is isn't delivering what it needs to deliver.

ElNono
11-03-2011, 10:57 PM
It sucks for Obama that his political career peaked in 2008. I remember discussing it in here that I couldn't understand why ANYONE would want to be President right then and eat the inevitable shit sandwich a contracting economy was going to force down their throat. The simple fact is that at some point the government CAN'T fix things...the BEST they can do is "do no harm" and stay the fuck out of it and let the economy gradually heal itself.

:blah

We're not discussing Obama or his jobs bill for that matter... not sure where that flew over your head, but it certainly did.

We're discussing Congress and it's inability to get over the partisan bickering on both sides.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Is that what was included in the GOP bill?

You're still missing the point. The point is that there's real people that need real, immediate help, while these congrescritters keep fucking around.

We all get you're not one of those people and thus don't give a flying fuck. But there's no doubt the system as it is isn't delivering what it needs to deliver.

No, YOU are still missing the point.

Congress can't do shit.

There is NO magic bullet to fix the economy.

Your heart can bleed all it wants about the people that need immediate help but congress is essentially powerless to help them find a sustainable job.

CosmicCowboy
11-03-2011, 11:15 PM
OK, I'm curious...are ANY of you unemployed or feel that you are under employed?

PublicOption
11-04-2011, 12:33 AM
OK, I'm curious...are ANY of you unemployed or feel that you are under employed?

congress is only powerless because they work for the corporations.

kill all the free trade agreement and increase tariffs from china and the rest of the world and jobs will spring up over night.(something congress could do----but won't do)

....somehow i think you know this cc but you act dumb.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-04-2011, 12:51 AM
When you start talking about reinventing the way our government works so that you can get a win it sounds pretty butt hurt to me.

The procedure is to hold the floor if you actually have something to say. They only want to deny passage of the bill. If you want the passage of a bill in Congress to be 60% then you can have that argument. i would prefer changing it to that than just keep it the way it is.

The fact that the basis of the maneuver is in essence a lie i feel very strongly that it needs to be changed one way or another so its not just bullshit. Rule of law and all that good stuff. Its a travesty quite frankly.

Infrastructure improvements are needed and because of the bipolar nature of our legislature nothing gets done. Banking regulation has been passed off to a committee and ignored. The solution to the budget crisis was to pass it off to a committee. Nothing gets done.

I could give a fuck about the Democrats. They are an organization of douchebags too. There is nothing noble about Obama, Reid, and Pelosi. The only one of that lot that I have even a measure of respect for is Hillary Clinton and she is married to the dickhead that put us down this track in the first place.

I look at most other democracies and they have more choices then tweedledee and tweedledum. I feel very strongly that we the people deserve better than this.

Wild Cobra
11-04-2011, 01:25 AM
The idea that the Federal Government can spend it's way into economic prosperity for the country is ludicrous.
I would go into serious debt too if I was stupid enough to think I could spend myself into prosperity.

Wild Cobra
11-04-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm under employed.

I took a promotion to swing shift, and I am finally making more than I did 10 years ago. How much has the cost of living gone up since then? That's how much I am underemployed by, at a minimum.

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2011, 08:13 AM
congress is only powerless because they work for the corporations.

kill all the free trade agreement and increase tariffs from china and the rest of the world and jobs will spring up over night.(something congress could do----but won't do)

....somehow i think you know this cc but you act dumb.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The overly simplistic view that isolationism could work in a global economy has been pretty well debunked. GM sells as many cars outside the US as they do in the US.

ElNono
11-04-2011, 10:44 AM
No, YOU are still missing the point.

Congress can't do shit.

There is NO magic bullet to fix the economy.

Quote where the bills are trying to "fix the economy"? They're both a jobs bill authorizing the creation of jobs for infrastructure, to temporarily address the unemployment rate.

Can you point out where in the OP there's a reference to "magic bullet to fix the economy"? Of course you can't.

Congress can pass bills to help/benefit their constituency, and by extension, the country. And that should be the priority, not partisan bickering.

I'm not surprised that I still have to explain to you at this day and age what Congress is SUPPOSED to do.

ElNono
11-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Why?

Winehole23
11-04-2011, 10:58 AM
False dilemma. The answer is both. You used to say so too...

Change your tune much?

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
False dilemma. The answer is both. You used to say so too...

Change your tune much?

Oh, I agree that now that we have spent ourselves into national poverty that in the short term taxes will have to be raised (fucking our economic recovery even more) to finally dig our way out of this debt hole, but long term the problem is too much spending. Without dramatic re-assessment of spending we will continue to flush our country down the drain.

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote where the bills are trying to "fix the economy"? They're both a jobs bill authorizing the creation of jobs for infrastructure, to temporarily address the unemployment rate.

Can you point out where in the OP there's a reference to "magic bullet to fix the economy"? Of course you can't.

Congress can pass bills to help/benefit their constituency, and by extension, the country. And that should be the priority, not partisan bickering.

I'm not surprised that I still have to explain to you at this day and age what Congress is SUPPOSED to do.

Real job growth comes from fixing the economy and not from spending more borrowed money (thus increasing our national debt even more) for temporary government funded construction jobs to bribe your democratic union base.

Winehole23
11-04-2011, 11:21 AM
You can't ignore the revenue side. As a businessman you ought to know there are two sides to the ledger.

CosmicCowboy
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
You can't ignore the revenue side. As a businessman you ought to know there are two sides to the ledger.

Well, I am about to leave for the weekend so you guys have fun.

Winehole23
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Real job growth comes from fixing the economyWhose responsibility is it to fix the economy?

Winehole23
11-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, I am about to leave for the weekend so you guys have fun.Have a good one, CC. :toast

Spurminator
11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh, I agree that now that we have spent ourselves into national poverty that in the short term taxes will have to be raised (fucking our economic recovery even more) to finally dig our way out of this debt hole

How about just reversing what were supposed to be short term tax cuts? Seems like that would help, but the beneficiaries of those tax cuts continue to cry "wealth distribution" every time the prospect of letting them end is discussed.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Real job growth comes from fixing the economy and not from spending more borrowed money (thus increasing our national debt even more) for temporary government funded construction jobs to bribe your democratic union base.

So the GOP bill that was also squashed was to appeal to the GOP union base too?

Fear darkie and unions is the CC way it seems. Thanks Mr. Robot.

ElNono
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM

The GOP bill was attempting to 'bribe your democratic union base'? That makes no sense.

And I'm pretty sure they're not looking for "real job growth" or "fixing the economy" at this time. The idea behind the bills was to provide a temporary palliative solution to a very real contemporary problem.

You're still missing the point. There were two bills killed, from both parties, and over petty partisan BS.

PublicOption
11-04-2011, 03:18 PM

FDR did it. and millions were fed.

I guess the country needs to starve before you understand.......

so let it starve so people like CC will run for their lives.

......because if people begin to starve, communism is just around the corner.

.......so stop playing stupid, because this could turn violent. :makemyday

PublicOption
11-04-2011, 03:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/05/europe_solidarity_in_poland0/img/1.jpg