PDA

View Full Version : 10 Good Things About Bonner

Calispursfan11
11-03-2011, 08:59 PM
This guy has taken a real beating from ST since day one. It is time for some Red Rocket love.

So I've come up with a list of positives about the Red Rocket in no particular order.

(1) Pop loves him
(2) He is paid three times as much as Gary Neal (good for him!)
(3) Surprising quickness for a 6-10 white guy
(4) Much like Pippen defined the Point-Forward position, Mattie has created a whole new position, Wimp-Forward
(5) Although it looks strange, he has a quick release on the set shot
(6) High three point percentage during the regular season
(7) Good handles on his hoagies
(8) Taller than Blair
(9) Meek and gentle under the boards, making opposing big men love him
(10) His lack of confidence and Coach B videos make him a likeable guy

If these things don't make you appreciate the Red Rocket, I don't know what will.

baseline bum
11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
At least he only cost the Spurs Rasho.... and SCOLA TOO!!!!! FUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!

lefty
11-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Why am I still rooting for the Spurs?

Nathan89
11-03-2011, 10:20 PM
All the Bonner hate really should be directed at POP.

lefty
11-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Can we bring Larry Brown back ?

DMC
11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Bonner is a human traffic cone. He's a decent shooter if left alone, but just a hint of defense on the guy and he's useless. He's completely useless at the other end.

What he does (that most anyone could do) is harass on the rebound to slow the break.

The guy is a huge liability if teams decide to guard him.

He gets twice the minutes he should.

I have no problem with him personally, don't even know much about the guy. I'm sure his work ethic is great. I would rather see someone else get his minutes, even an end of the bench guy. Bonner in means at least a 10pt swing the other way, much of the time.

DMC
11-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Of course, but you cannot hate the painter for painting your car the color he likes without also hating the paint.

Sean Cagney
11-03-2011, 11:53 PM
FUCK BONNER, I mean that and please believe that. I will never like that bum.

The ADMIRAL 50
11-04-2011, 12:14 AM

I agree. Bonner isn't a shitty player to have on your roster, he becomes a shitty player when your coach starts him and plays him 30+ minutes.

The ADMIRAL 50
11-04-2011, 12:14 AM
That being said I fucking hate bonner too.

slick'81
11-04-2011, 12:33 AM
well he does try hard and hes a great position defender.... or so ive heard

Venti Quattro
11-04-2011, 01:30 AM
You forgot he spreads the floor.

Sean Cagney
11-04-2011, 02:22 AM

I heard this so much to the point I hated hearing it and nearly knocked my TV off it's stand :lol:lol

silverblk mystix
11-04-2011, 04:41 AM
here's another good thing about Bonner;

He prolongs careers....Splitter, for example will be able to play into his 40's because of all the DNP-CD's that he will get by watching Bonner take his minutes...

this also helped 55 year old Theo Ratliff....Drew Gooden....

Seventyniner
11-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Bonner is a great as a 5th big man, and slightly sub-par as a 4th. When he's playing #3 big man minutes, cover your eyes.

Unfortunately, when Bonner is playing more minutes than Splitter, Bonner is the #2 big man on the team (assuming McDyess is gone), and that's a recipe for disaster. The Spurs need to sign a big man capable of being the #3 guy, and hope that Blair improves enough to jump Bonner on the depth chart. Remember that Blair's regression had as much as anything to do with the increase in Bonner's minutes.

Calispursfan11
11-04-2011, 08:02 AM
He is heavier than Novak also (I think), giving him more beef in the post.

hater
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
15-20mpg regular season
5-10mpg playoffs

anything more is suicide

therealtruth
11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Bonner plays ok when he hustles like Brian Cardinal. The problem is Pop plays him too many minutes for him to be able to hustle. So he tries to conserve his energy. But when you are role player you shouldn't be conserving your energy. There were a couple of times where he played with Splitter where he was able to do that successfully even getting double figure rebounds.

Chomag
11-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Indeed, how other teams can win without Bonner on their team I have no idea...

The man made Deral Aurther look like freaking Duncan out there :lol

Stalin
11-04-2011, 03:44 PM
as long as you have bonner playing regular minutes, you'll continue to get shit on in the playoffs, tbh

ColinB
11-04-2011, 10:45 PM
+ His wife.

ElNono
11-04-2011, 10:54 PM
1. He knows his sammiches...
2. He looks like a good kid

I can't think of 8 more...

chazley
11-05-2011, 02:23 AM
1. Led league in 3-pt %
2. Great if playing 10 min/night
3. #3 on team in adjusted +/- last year
4. Almost single handedly won Game 1 for us
5. Everyone on our team played like shit and every dumbass here wants to blame it on Bonner, who overall played like shit after March 1 admittedly.

mountainballer
11-05-2011, 04:25 AM
he is smart. very smart. and he is a very good businessman. this is something we may hate right now (b/c it hurts the cap), but once he becomes the successor of RC and does some magic, we will love this. Bonner and Jacque Vaughn will be the Spurs future tandem.

TimDunkem
11-05-2011, 04:34 AM

And literally gave up a coast-to-coast layup after the only clutch shot of his playoff career.

You can say he almost single-handedly lost it for us too.

Uriel
11-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Bonner is a human traffic cone. He's a decent shooter if left alone, but just a hint of defense on the guy and he's useless. He's completely useless at the other end.

What he does (that most anyone could do) is harass on the rebound to slow the break.

I have no problem with him personally, don't even know much about the guy. I'm sure his work ethic is great. I would rather see someone else get his minutes, even an end of the bench guy. Bonner in means at least a 10pt swing the other way, much of the time.

Dicto simpliciter.

And if Bonner's presence portends a 10-pt swing, then explain why his +/- has consistently been among the highest on the team (even in the playoffs).

Uriel
11-05-2011, 06:06 AM
he is smart. very smart. and he is a very good businessman. this is something we may hate right now (b/c it hurts the cap), but once he becomes the successor of RC and does some magic, we will love this. Bonner and Jacque Vaughn will be the Spurs future tandem.

He scored 1420 on the old SAT, which translates to an IQ of 145, which is higher than 99% of the world population.

Think about it. The man is smarter than 99% of the world.

Calispursfan11
11-05-2011, 09:00 AM
He scored 1420 on the old SAT, which translates to an IQ of 145, which is higher than 99% of the world population.

I get it. That's why pop likes him because they can strategize about military intelligence and the like. He's like pop's homey in that regard. If you were an employer and it came down to two scrub employees of semi-equal ability, but you personally liked one of the scrubs better, you would can the other scrub.

Calispursfan11
11-05-2011, 09:03 AM
And every team needs at least one scrub. If you are the king of the scrubs, you are safe. That, Bonner is.

ElNono
11-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Story of his life...

It's like if Horry missed that clutch 3 against the Kings and Lakerfan showed up and said "He almost won it for us :cry :cry :cry"...

ElNono
11-05-2011, 09:19 AM

this... I get the feeling, much like RMJ, that he would be bench filler in any other team not named Toronto or Minnesota...

baseline bum
11-05-2011, 09:53 AM

He would have to be in the 1500s to be in the top 1% on the 1600 point scale unless it was the pre-1995 SAT, which I doubt he took (he was 14 the last time it was offered).

Big P
11-05-2011, 11:30 AM
1. His contract is not for any longer than it is.
2. He is not paid more money than he is.
3. His last year of the contract is only guaranteed about $1 mil.
4. He's not any older than he is.
5. He's not any slower than he already is.
6. He can't play any worse defense than he already does.
7. He can't disappear more in the playoffs than he already does.
8. He can't brick anymore shots when they really count than he already does.
9. He doesn't take anymore baby hook shots than he already does.
10. He doesn't own TWO pontiac grand ams.

dylankerouac
11-05-2011, 11:55 AM

This.

Calispursfan11
11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
This.

If it came down to Samaki Walker or Bonner, who would you take?

Uriel
11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
He would have to be in the 1500s to be in the top 1% on the 1600 point scale unless it was the pre-1995 SAT, which I doubt he took (he was 14 the last time it was offered).

My bad. His score of 1420 translates to an IQ of 139, not 145. But 139 is still approximately in the 99th percentile in terms of IQ, so the point still stands.

In other words, his IQ is top 1%, not his SAT score.

baseline bum
11-07-2011, 12:19 AM
My bad. His score of 1420 translates to an IQ of 139, not 145. But 139 is still approximately in the 99th percentile in terms of IQ, so the point still stands.

I don't think the SAT has been considered a valid IQ test since 1995 though.

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2011, 12:20 AM
i thouight the SAT score, depends on what subjects you get tested on...

Calispursfan11
11-07-2011, 03:00 PM

It's a subjective test made be people like Bonner for people like Bonner.

cantthinkofanything
11-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Bonner's IQ is 86, not 139.

Uriel
11-08-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't think the SAT has been considered a valid IQ test since 1995 though.

It's never been an IQ test. Prior to 1995 though, it was considered an aptitude test, which is a close cousin of IQ tests. But when the University of California conducted a study to demonstrate that there was virtually zero correlation between SAT scores and college success, then College Board made revisions to the test to gear it less towards innate intelligence and more towards the concepts learned in school.

I got the 139 figure by using a conversion formula I found on a website.

I'm referring to the SAT Reasoning Test, which tests skills in Writing, Reading, and Math. You're given an overall score at the end.

I'm not even American and I only took the SAT 3 days ago and even I know this stuff. :lol

mathbzh
11-08-2011, 07:51 AM
He is 31 yo... 9 more years and he retires... :toast
I am not sure it is really a good thing :rolleyes

silverblk mystix
11-08-2011, 06:27 PM

:depressed

DMC
11-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Dicto simpliciter.

And if Bonner's presence portends a 10-pt swing, then explain why his +/- has consistently been among the highest on the team (even in the playoffs).
"much of the time"

Simple dick

j/k

What Bonner has going for him is that the liability he presents is manifested onto other people, not him.

For example, he had .4 turnovers per game last season. That doesn't count the number of turnovers he caused by being out of position.

His rebound totals don't count the number of times he was destroyed on the board by a smaller opponent.

There simply aren't enough defensive stats available to see that he was the gateway to the rim all season. People just fucking owned him and went right at him every time. There's no stat line for that.

People who watch the games don't rely that much on the stats to know Bonner is a liability. Perhaps Pop doesn't watch the games.

Russ
11-08-2011, 08:24 PM

This just plays into the old sterotype that the real chokers are the smart (and conscientious) ones.

Personally, I'd rather have a three point shooter too dumb to realize the signifcance of that next shot (you know, the one in game 7 with 2 seconds left).

Jack may not have been a genius (his SATs were so bad even Lute Olson couldn't get him in) but you had the feeling he'd hit that shot. And he usually did.

Ever had that feeling about our Matt?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
People are omitting lots of great attributes of Matt Bonner.

His red hair keeps him from getting lost in a crowd. Sure he's almost seven feet, tall, but that hair is what makes him unique. If you're supposed to meet him at a concert, just look for the hair and you'll find him...provided it's not a Metallica concert, then you're f'd.

His shot is automatic from 3 as long as no one is guarding him. That makes him a constant threat during warmups of draining 3 after 3 and thereby scaring the other team into submission even before the game begins.

He's got pretty big guns. Combine that with the aforementioned fact that he's almost seven feet tall, his size could come in handy in a confrontational situation, provided no one tests his resolve. Hide that goofy face of his with a grim reaper hood and you've got a pretty scary looking body guard for that late night walk through downtown back to your car after an evening of partying.

I think Bonner brings a lot to the table, and I'm sick of folks knocking him around here.

Calispursfan11
11-11-2011, 03:18 PM
People are omitting lots of great attributes of Matt Bonner.

His red hair keeps him from getting lost in a crowd. Sure he's almost seven feet, tall, but that hair is what makes him unique. If you're supposed to meet him at a concert, just look for the hair and you'll find him...provided it's not a Metallica concert, then you're f'd.

His shot is automatic from 3 as long as no one is guarding him. That makes him a constant threat during warmups of draining 3 after 3 and thereby scaring the other team into submission even before the game begins.

He's got pretty big guns. Combine that with the aforementioned fact that he's almost seven feet tall, his size could come in handy in a confrontational situation, provided no one tests his resolve. Hide that goofy face of his with a grim reaper hood and you've got a pretty scary looking body guard for that late night walk through downtown back to your car after an evening of partying.

I think Bonner brings a lot to the table, and I'm sick of folks knocking him around here.

LOL, that's great stuff Eddy!