PDA

View Full Version : Group hopes to bring film studio to San Antonio

TheWriter
06-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Group hopes to bring film studio to San Antonio

Melissa S. Monroe
Express-News Business Writer

Leaders of Greater San Antonio Film Council, a group formed in March to attract more movie filming to the area, said today they hope to bring a film studio, film school and a tourist attraction to San Antonio.

But those plans are very preliminary. Film Council Vice President Lennie Turpin said he had an hour-long conversation with a possible investor in the project, but he wouldn't disclose the investor's name or how much an investment might be.

The council plans to lease 500 square feet of office space at Brooks City-Base and has incorporated a company called SAF Studios Inc. to help lure more filming here.

Turpin and local film producer Al Frakes head the film council, which has been working to compete with states like Louisiana that have been offering lucrative incentives to filmmakers.

Frakes and Turpin have said that San Antonio needs to offer such incentives, but didn't mention them at the news conference. This group is not connected to the San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau' s film commission.

In addition to the studio and tourist attraction, Frakes said at the announcement that he has a letter of intent from local hotel consultant Henry Feldman to construct a hotel.

But Feldman said he didn't sign a letter of intent, and that while he thinks this project is a good idea, the film council is promoting it too soon without having its funding lined up.

"We've have had preliminary discussions," Feldman said. "I have long felt that a conference center hotel (at Brooks) is a good idea, but I haven't signed any letter of intent. We're just in the early stages of discussion with them and I haven't talked to Brooks. I'm a great believer of working cautiously and not being overly optimistic."

LINK (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA061505.film.en.10fabb60.html)

ClintSquint
06-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Film at 11.