PDA

View Full Version : The waitress "black code" rant

Creepn
11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I took my family to this white family owned home-cooking restaurant and our waitress had this attitude like she didn't want to serve us. She was really unfriendly and I had to actually call the waiter over by waving my hands in the air like I was in elementary school again to refill our glasses twice. I looked at the other patrons she was was serving and she had a different attitude with them and I didn't see anybody else waving their arms in the air either. That's when it hit me; I remembered reading here on Spurstalk that waitresses have some kind of code to warn everybody that there is a black family in the building.

Now I don't think we give off the impression that we arrived there from the ghetto and I don't think we give off the impression that we are broke either. My wife follows the 15% tip rule just because she's just a good girl like that and I tip well simply because I believe good tipping yields positive results. For example, I tip my barber a little more than his other customers which in return gets me into the chair sooner over people who's been waiting there for 45 mins to an hour or so. I also like whipping out the money clip and flipping through the bills.

Anyway, here Iam sitting there pissed at being in this damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If I don't tip the waitress, I'm going to be reinforcing her ignorant stereotypical belief that all black people don't tip and ruin it for the next black family who wants to enjoy homecooking meals. Or give money to a waitress who sure as hell didn't deserve one and reward bad behavior to a fucking racist. Subtle racism is the name of the game nowadays and this is a prime example of it.

SO what's the point of this "code" huh? Do the waitress deliberate with each other on who has the most tips because the one with the most tips can stand to wait on a table or two without tips? Is it to warn the cook to spit in our foods? Is it to ready the guns in case a black customer gets irate from the lack of service? I have no clue but what I do know is that it's stupid and counter-productive. The waitress missed out on a repeat customer who happens to be a damn good tipper and the restaurant loses money from my future visits and the would-be visits from people me and my wife woud've recommeded the place to.

The thing that upsets me the most was not the subtle racism but that.....the food was good! And now I can't go back there anymore. :depressed DAMMIT!

JayTheClown
11-04-2011, 04:40 PM
What city was this in? I have been to numerous restuarants and never experienced such a thing. Then again, I don't think I have ever been to the type of restaurant you described.

4>0rings
11-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Stop being a luck the fakers and you will get good service. When I was a server, everybody knew black people were rude, sucked at tipping, and complained about everything.

Befriend the host, and tell her not to sit you black tables was a good strat.

Huey Freeman
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Stop being a luck the fakers and you will get good service. When I was a server, everybody knew black people were rude, sucked at tipping, and complained about everything.

Befriend the host, and tell her not to sit you black tables was a good strat.

And here is the fucking problem. Maybe its time for America to finally wake up and recognize that all black people aren't alike. Ya know, just like I know all white aren't undercover racists like you.

Creepn
11-04-2011, 04:47 PM
What city was this in? I have been to numerous restuarants and never experienced such a thing. Then again, I don't think I have ever been to the type of restaurant you described.

San Antonio. Have you ever had a terrible waiter? If you did, maybe the person had a bad day or maybe the fucker was a racist. I dunno. That's the thing about subtle racism.

DeadlyDynasty
11-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Must...resist...

silverblk mystix
11-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I always tip at least 20%...

but if I get really shitty service...then I re-consider...

JayTheClown
11-04-2011, 04:53 PM
San Antonio. Have you ever had a terrible waiter? If you did, maybe the person had a bad day or maybe the fucker was a racist. I dunno.

Maybe I'm clueless or something. I probably had a racist waitress or two and just never noticed it or thought anything of it. Growing up around nothing but blacks and Puerto Ricans my whole life I guess I'm kinda clueless on that sorta thing.

Creepn
11-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I always tip at least 20%...

but if I get really shitty service...then I re-consider...

See you have the choice to reconsider and people will think "Shitty waiter". In my case, I didn't have that choice. If I don't tip, the consequence would be enforcing the stereotype. I had to think of future consequences of my actions that could effect other people's days if they sit at that table.

DeadlyDynasty
11-04-2011, 05:01 PM
See you have the choice to reconsider and people will think "Shitty waiter". In my case, I didn't have that choice. If I don't tip, the consequence would be enforcing the stereotype. I had to think of future consequences of my actions that could effect other people's days if they sit at that table.

You're a hero to all Canadians, Creepn.

pawe
11-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Why reward laziness or according to you, subtle racism? Forget the consequences of not tipping, she already is stereotyping anyway.
Dont tip and tell her I will tip you next time if I get good service from you.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Ever think maybe you just happened to get a shitty waitress? Why the hell does everything have to be about race? I'm white and I've had to deal with crappy service tons of times.

Monostradamus
11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Why reward laziness or according to you, subtle racism? Forget the consequences of not tipping, she already is stereotyping anyway.
Dont tip and tell her I will tip you next time if I get good service from you.

all that will do is have the waitress thinking "there goes another uppity luck the fakers using any excuse to not tip"

JayTheClown
11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Ever think maybe you just happened to get a shitty waitress? Why the hell does everything have to be about race? I'm white and I've had to deal with crappy service tons of times.

True, I understand where your coming from.
But he did say she was giving other customers good service. So, I don't know what else it would be.

Monostradamus
11-04-2011, 05:08 PM
btw this thread proves Creepn is someone's troll and we've all been trolled up the ass by him. Well played, sir. I really didn't see it until right now.

Wild Cobra
11-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Unless you go there more than once, or know other who do, all we can do is guess. maybe those she served more were established customers? maybe friends. Then again, maybe she was either racist, or assumed the stereotype.

Too many possibilities to assume something from a single data point. To do so, would be prejudice yourself.

JayTheClown
11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Unless you go there more than once, or know other who do, all we can do is guess. maybe those she served more were established customers? maybe friends. Then again, maybe she was either racist, or assumed the stereotype.

Too many possibilities to assume something from a single data point. To do so, would be prejudice yourself.

I disagree, the waitress clearly showed symptoms of a racist. Now, if the other customers were her friends and she was having a bad day or whatever thats unfortunate, but its not prejudice to assume someone is racist if they act like one. If it walks like a duck......

4>0rings
11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
And here is the fucking problem. Maybe its time for America to finally wake up and recognize that all black people aren't alike. Ya know, just like I know all white aren't undercover racists like you.
Tip better and people will like you. It's not about being black, it's about being a cheap ass.

Creepn
11-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Just because we are not her friends doesn't excuse her to give us bad service. I doubt she knew everybody that were sitting at her tables besides us. Seriously doubt that. First impression is what counts and that was my impression. How can I go back there more than once? Maybe next time they will take more drastic measures for me to get the "hint".

Vici
11-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I took my family to this white family owned home-cooking restaurant and our waitress had this attitude like she didn't want to serve us. She was really unfriendly and I had to actually call the waiter over by waving my hands in the air like I was in elementary school again to refill our glasses twice. I looked at the other patrons she was was serving and she had a different attitude with them and I didn't see anybody else waving their arms in the air either. That's when it hit me; I remembered reading here on Spurstalk that waitresses have some kind of code to warn everybody that there is a black family in the building.

Now I don't think we give off the impression that we arrived there from the ghetto and I don't think we give off the impression that we are broke either. My wife follows the 15% tip rule just because she's just a good girl like that and I tip well simply because I believe good tipping yields positive results. For example, I tip my barber a little more than his other customers which in return gets me into the chair sooner over people who's been waiting there for 45 mins to an hour or so. I also like whipping out the money clip and flipping through the bills.

Anyway, here Iam sitting there pissed at being in this damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If I don't tip the waitress, I'm going to be reinforcing her ignorant stereotypical belief that all black people don't tip and ruin it for the next black family who wants to enjoy homecooking meals. Or give money to a waitress who sure as hell didn't deserve one and reward bad behavior to a fucking racist. Subtle racism is the name of the game nowadays and this is a prime example of it.

SO what's the point of this "code" huh? Do the waitress deliberate with each other on who has the most tips because the one with the most tips can stand to wait on a table or two without tips? Is it to warn the cook to spit in our foods? Is it to ready the guns in case a black customer gets irate from the lack of service? I have no clue but what I do know is that it's stupid and counter-productive. The waitress missed out on a repeat customer who happens to be a damn good tipper and the restaurant loses money from my future visits and the would-be visits from people me and my wife woud've recommeded the place to.

The thing that upsets me the most was not the subtle racism but that.....the food was good! And now I can't go back there anymore. :depressed DAMMIT!

You do realize 15% is not good right? It was maybe 20 years ago but the base pay for a waiter is $2.13 which has not gone up with the minimum wage. Most servers tip out 3-5% meaning if you tipped 15%, she is only getting 10-12%. An average tip is 20%. Good is 30% or more.

I used to be a server as well and yes we most definitely setereotype and for good reason. Your best tips are going usually going to come from middle aged white guys. People with kids don't usually tip well. Bubbas? Not a single decent tip ever. Rich women? rarely ever.

Yes black people are included as well. The worst 5 tables I ever had were black. They ran me into the ground, complained non-stop, modified the fuck out of every order, and in the end, when their service was perfect, they barely tipped. Ask any server and they would more than likely say the same.

Now having said that my best tip ever was from someone who was black. I had a bunch of regulars who were black and I loved them.

Now as a waiter you really have to bet which table is going to tip you more and give them the best attention. I never once treated a black table any worse than any of my other tables but I never went out of my way to pick one up. I'm sorry your waitress wasn't that professional but if you were going to tip her 15%...

It's not that waiters don't like black people, it's that they don't like customers who aren't going to tip well and will take you away from the tables who will.

Vici
11-04-2011, 05:32 PM
There are also some clues you can give your server you are not cheap.

For example, (and yes this has happened to me many times) don't ask the server for a bowl of lemons so that you can make lemonade for free.

Don't change a thing on the menu. If you don't like how it's prepared, order something else.

Tell them you have been a waiter before which means you know how to tip. That isn't always the case but it still helps.

Don't hold them at the table

and if things don't go well, tip her 20% anyway. She will remember and treat you a ton better next time. It's shitty and all servers know that, but so is the job and so is having to tip out at least 20-30% of what you make in addition to getting dick for overtime.

God I hated waiting.

JayTheClown
11-04-2011, 05:49 PM
You do realize 15% is not good right? It was maybe 20 years ago but the base pay for a waiter is $2.13 which has not gone up with the minimum wage. Most servers tip out 3-5% meaning if you tipped 15%, she is only getting 10-12%. An average tip is 20%. Good is 30% or more.

I used to be a server as well and yes we most definitely setereotype and for good reason. Your best tips are going usually going to come from middle aged white guys. People with kids don't usually tip well. Bubbas? Not a single decent tip ever. Rich women? rarely ever.

Yes black people are included as well. The worst 5 tables I ever had were black. They ran me into the ground, complained non-stop, modified the fuck out of every order, and in the end, when their service was perfect, they barely tipped. Ask any server and they would more than likely say the same.

Now having said that my best tip ever was from someone who was black. I had a bunch of regulars who were black and I loved them.

Now as a waiter you really have to bet which table is going to tip you more and give them the best attention. I never once treated a black table any worse than any of my other tables but I never went out of my way to pick one up. I'm sorry your waitress wasn't that professional but if you were going to tip her 15%...

It's not that waiters don't like black people, it's that they don't like customers who aren't going to tip well and will take you away from the tables who will.

In college I worked as a car salesman in Arlington. I know its not the same thing, but yeah, I would stereotype the shit out of people. If a young white, black, Hispanic, Asian came on the dealership I would walk the other way. I wouldn't even attempt to help them. I would only help older people who looked between the ages of 30-whatever. Our boss would keep a ratio sheet on the amount of customers we helped and satisfied. So, you had to really be picky on who you talk to. I understand why people choose to stereotype sometimes, but you still need to consider that not all people are alike. I remember loosing a lot of money using my strategy.

JayTheClown
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I had one of you buzzards do me like that when I was like 23. I wound up buying a car from a guy that was on his lunch break.

Shits hard being a car salesman. I had somebody do that shit to me last month. I didn't get mad at him tho. I understood what he was going through.

Creepn
11-04-2011, 06:01 PM

I honestly did not know 15% was a shitty tip. FUCK! lmao We've been unknowingly enforcing the stereotype! Nobody ever said a thing. I've always heard that 15% is a decent tip and when we dine out with white friends, they tip 15% too.

Dammit I feel really shitty now. How was I supposed to know this?

Vici
11-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Here is another problem.

If you don't like the service tip 10%. If you have the mentality that it's ever ok not to tip then maybe the server was right. They still gave you their time, as bad as it was, to give you some level of service. You still ate the food and took up their table. Make a note on the receipt and tell them why it's 10% but you wanted to leave 0%.

edit: I have a ton of awful service and I always gave 10%. Afterall, it's only $5 on a $50 check and there are other people who get that money besides the server.

DMC
11-04-2011, 06:30 PM
How much was your meal and how much did you tip? Tipping 15% is not good. I stay in the range of 50% or more. If the service sucks, they get nothing, I don't finish the food. And in the rare cases that I did get poor service I let them know how I feel when they ask is everything ok. The last time I had poor service was at Lucille's BBQ. Bitch didnt want to give me a drink due to some card policy of anyone that didnt look over 25. I never carry my ID. I tried to sweet talk her and the bitch seemed like she got an attitude. She was black at that. I simply told her to bring me another waiter. I know she was just doing her job, but with an attitude. The young man that came after simply refused to force me to walk back to my car and politely went to the bar to get my drink. Meal came up to like $45 and I gave him $100 and left.

And then you woke up in a puddle of the ramen and MD 20/20 you just puked up the night before, with your tighty whities around your ankles, and realized you had a dream that you could afford to eat out.

DMC
11-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I honestly did not know 15% was a shitty tip. FUCK! lmao We've been unknowingly enforcing the stereotype! Nobody ever said a thing. I've always heard that 15% is a decent tip and when we dine out with white friends, they tip 15% too.

The whites were using you as a scapegoat:

Server: "that table didn't tip well, but there were some Canadians... "

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2011, 06:42 PM
congratulations all the luck the fakers of the world ruined it for you. The waitress had to make a judgment call. She assumed you were a luck the faker and would give her a shitty tip good service or bad. She had a 75% chance of you giving her a shitty to no tip.

By that i mean if you were a luck the faker she would give you good or shitty service she'd get a shitty tip anyway. Or you were a fine upstanding african american customer she could be a shitty waitress and get a shitty to no tip. Or be a good waitress and get a quality tip. So of 4 possible scenarios 3 leads to a shitty tip.

Nathan89
11-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Don't hate the waitress because she understands opportunity cost. Making wise decisions is not racism.

Dex
11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
My parents are bad tippers. Sad but true. First, they insist that the tip should be taken from the subtotal. "I'm tipping the service, not the goverment!" They'll take 15% of that, and if it ends up being like 10-20 cents over a dollar, they'll round that shit down. :nope

Myself, I'm usually a 20-30% tipper unless the service is just terrible, then I'll go down to 10-15%. Even 10% feels sheisty to me, but if you pay 15%, they don't get the point that you're tipping according to their bad service...they just think you're a bad tipper. And I always round up to the nearest dollar....none of that $X.39 crap.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-04-2011, 06:56 PM
:lmao luck the fakers thinking 15% was a good tip

I'm a broke ass college student and I tip 25% wherever I go

pawe
11-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Waitress is the luck the faker then. If she can't have the right attitude in working and even do her only job properly then that probably is the reason why she is just a waiter ...and she will not amount to anything in life.

4>0rings
11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Waitress is the luck the faker then. If she can't have the right attitude in working and even do her only job properly then that probably is the reason why she is just a waiter ...and she will not amount to anything in life.

You ever wait on a luck the faker? They try and take reparations out on the server as if they enslaved their ancestors.

Nathan89
11-04-2011, 06:59 PM
luck the fakers= the new n-word

2H5uWRjFsGc

DMC
11-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm not into the race thing, I don't give a shit to be honest, but (there's always a but) if a group of people are going to show solidarity and close ranks anytime there's a benefit in doing so, they must also accept the negative aspect of being in a closed rank system, which is that you will suffer the repercussions of the group's actions. You cannot just cherry pick your race affiliations based on a cost/benefit analysis.

Many, especially the OP, are quick to lock arms with any cause from people of the same skin color, so don't you expect to get the lash back when those same people create these well supported "stereotypes"? Black comedians joke all the time about not offering to pay for anyone's lunch, how they wait for someone else to pay, and that they will not tip if they can avoid doing so, even if they are rich.

It's a negative stereotype, but only negative when you are the one getting the shitty service. It's funny the rest of the time, and I am sure there are plenty of fist pumps to follow the jokes.

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2011, 07:01 PM
luck the fakers= the new n-word

it loses it's luster when you draw attention to it

baseline bum
11-04-2011, 07:01 PM

I'm lucky enough to have never worked as a waiter (my food-service experience back in the day was as a cook), but all my friends who were waiters universally agreed the worst tippers were rich Persian women, and the second worst rich Persian men.

Creepn
11-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Don't hate the waitress because she understands opportunity cost. Making wise decisions is not racism.

Was it really an opportunity cost though? All she had to do was refill our glasses with water and she can be about her merry way. That would've been sufficient enough for us to leave her a good tip. I'm not saying waitressing is easy but at a small restaurant like that where it only takes a few steps to reach our table, its a risk to assume that people are shitty customers when they could be great customers.

The meal only come out to below $15.

DMC
11-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Was it really an opportunity cost though? All she had to do was refill our glasses with water and she can be about her merry way. That would've been sufficient enough for us to leave her a good tip. I'm not saying waitressing is easy but at a small restaurant like that where it only takes a few steps to reach our table, its a risk to assume that people are shitty customers when they could be great customers.

The meal only come out to below $15.
Where the hell can you get a meal for a family for 15 dollars?

Creepn
11-04-2011, 07:06 PM

Honestly, I did think 15% was a decent tip. NOBODY ever told me otherwise. I even asked a waitress one time if it was ok and she said it was fine. I guess now she was trying to be modest about it.

Anyway from this point on, I'll spread the word. 20% average tip and 30% is good.

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm lucky enough to have never worked as a waiter (my food-service experience back in the day was as a cook), but all my friends who were waiters universally agreed the worst tippers were rich Persian women, and the second worst rich Persian men.

They're called muslims now.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
And tbh the few Mormons I know are all on their own level of shitty tippers. One of them, when he's in a group of people going out to eat, will intentionally pretend sales tax and tips don't exist (and no he's not stupid at all there's no way he's actually forgetting). His dish will be on the menu at 7.99 or something, he'll contribute $8, and expect his sales tax and tip to magically get covered.

When we're all at someone's house and order pizza, he'll use change he finds in his car to pay back the person who bought the pizza.

It's one thing to stiff a waiter or waitress you're never going to see again, but both he and the few other Mormons I know are shameless enough to be cheap with their actual friends.

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2011, 07:08 PM
And tbh the few Mormons I know are all on their own level of shitty tippers. One of them, when he's in a group of people going out to eat, will intentionally pretend sales tax and tips don't exist (and no he's not stupid at all there's no way he's actually forgetting). His dish will be on the menu at 7.99 or something, he'll contribute $8, and expect his sales tax and tip to magically get covered.

When we're all at someone's house and order pizza, he'll use change he finds in his car to pay back the person who bought the pizza.

It's one thing to stiff a waiter or waitress you're never going to see again, but both he and the few other Mormons I know are shameless enough to be cheap with their actual friends.

Lol a Jew getting Jewed by a mormon

Creepn
11-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Where the hell can you get a meal for a family for 15 dollars?

I'd really hate to give that restaurant any recognition.

DMC
11-04-2011, 07:10 PM

Reminds me of the inlaw outings where everyone passes money down the table and there's always those two or three losers who don't cover their tabs or tip, and it's always short when it gets to the end. They think other people's tips will cover their short funds.

Low rent fucks see it as a profitable move when in reality they remain the lowest paid, shittiest life having retards in the group year after year. Enjoy that 2 dollar profit, bro.

DMC
11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd really hate to give that restaurant any recognition.
I am trying to understand how you were able to feed your family on 15 dollars.

If it's three people, that's 4.50 each plus tax. If there's 4 of yall, that's not even a burger and a drink.

I was wondering if you ordered food for two and split it with others. Servers hate that shit because you take a 4 top and tip for one person basically.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah exactly. Is the few bucks you save doing that really worth your friends and family hating you and losing respect for you?

Dex
11-04-2011, 07:14 PM

It's like people who offer to "chip in on gas", then they give you like 3 dollars. WTF this isn't 1950, 3 dollars doesn't even move the damn needle.

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2011, 07:14 PM

If it's three people, that's 4.50 each plus tax. If there's 4 of yall, that's not even a burger and a drink.

I was wondering if you ordered food for two and split it with others. Servers hate that shit because you take a 4 top and tip for one person basically.
obviously it was either kids eat free or coupon day. Both would lead a waitress to believe there was no tip along the way

DMC
11-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah exactly. Is the few bucks you save doing that really worth your friends and family hating you and losing respect for you?
For them, yes.

My son bought a house a couple years ago and had a house warming party. His cousin and her husband brought a bottle of wine. It went unopened. They ate and drank the food and drinks others paid for, then they took their bottle home with them (and some food to go).

The family talks about it like it's shocking each time they do it, but I've told them over and over that this couple sees little moves like that as profits.

Basically they are day trading.

Creepn
11-04-2011, 07:21 PM

It was breakfast. I had the Ranchero plate with a drink, wife had a taco with water and a kid's plate was no more than 4 dollars with a juice.

Nathan89
11-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Honestly, I did think 15% was a decent tip. NOBODY ever told me otherwise. I even asked a waitress one time if it was ok and she said it was fine. I guess now she was trying to be modest about it.

Anyway from this point on, I'll spread the word. 20% average tip and 30% is good.

15% has been the standard for a long time but now many people think it should be higher. Those people like increasing their tip standards in increments of 5%. There was never any in between for them but that's probably because most people suck at math. Don't let these fucks bother you. If you want to increase your tip feel free to stop anywhere between 15-20%.

Good tip and 30% do not belong in the same sentence.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Old Jewish people are pretty bad tippers too, and the fact they complain an ass ton more than anymore else/ask for a detailed analysis of every item on the menu makes them even worse.

Nathan89
11-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Only a fucking idiot would tip 25% if they were broke.

baseline bum
11-04-2011, 07:30 PM
They're called muslims now.

Naw, non-Persian muslims weren't bad.

baseline bum
11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Mexicans are much worse tippers than blacks. I had a server at a place I frequent tell me that the word "tip" is not is not in the Spanish language. Funny.

I find it hard to believe you don't know what the Spanish word for "tip" is living in the latin strip club capital of the world.

Dex
11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
15% has been the standard for a long time but now many people think it should be higher. Those people like increasing their tip standards in increments of 5%. There was never any in between for them but that's probably because most people suck at math. Don't let these fucks bother you. If you want to increase your tip feel free to stop anywhere between 15-20%.

IMO, depends on the size of the bill.

If all I've had is a sandwich and beer and my bill is $10, I feel like a jerk leaving a tip of two bucks. Two bucks doesn't get you shit these days.

Granted, it's not like three dollars is gonna break the bank or anything, but at least you're going out of your way to show that you appreciate the service...which is what a tip SHOULD be. I, personally, think its stupid that restaurants make waiters count on what should be a gratuity just to survive.

ChuckD
11-04-2011, 07:47 PM

15% is fine. Don't buy the hype. That $1.50 you tipped on that $10 steak in years gone by is now $4.50 on the now $30 steak. Food prices are not static, and tips automatically go up when they do.

4>0rings
11-04-2011, 08:32 PM
There is one group of people that tip worse than luck the fakers, it's the people that come from Mexico to shop, then go out to eat. Rich fuckers don't ever tip. I think it's more of culture thing in Mexico than being a cheap ass luck the faker.

These people were feared more than blacks when I was a server.

Vici
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
15% is fine. Don't buy the hype. That $1.50 you tipped on that $10 steak in years gone by is now $4.50 on the now $30 steak. Food prices are not static, and tips automatically go up when they do.

lol 20% is average. Justify being a cheap fuck anyway you want but you're still cheap. Guess when the last time the hourly rate for a server went up? Here is a hint, not in the last two decades.

And if you tip $4.5 on a $30 steak? Wow. Servers remember that. Fair warning.

Vici
11-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Good tip and Nathan89 do not belong in the same sentence.

fify

Wild Cobra
11-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey Creepn, did you make any indication of how "cheap" the prices were that the waitstaff may have heard? If so, they may have thought you might be cheap on the tip as well.

ChuckD
11-04-2011, 10:24 PM
lol 20% is average. Justify being a cheap fuck anyway you want but you're still cheap. Guess when the last time the hourly rate for a server went up? Here is a hint, not in the last two decades.
Guess what? Their overall hourly pay, including tips, has gone up sharply as food prices increased. They're not the only ones who's wages are flat. Middle class wages are flat for the last 30 years. They're in good, and numerous company. I don't feel all that sorry for a profession who's tips per hour have probably tripled or better over that time period. Waiting tables has never been about the hourly wage. That's always been shit.

Servers also remember good repeat customers who don't order a bunch of special shit, or give them crap or attitude. Those jerks are much more likely to get their food spit on, even if they do tip 20%, I've worked food service, and the wait staff is much more likely to bitch about an asshole than someone who left a tip they didn't swoon over.

ChuckD
11-04-2011, 10:33 PM
A waitperson can normally handle at least four tables of four people. If each person orders something between $15 and $20 (conservative), and everyone stays for an hour, they would sell $280 worth of food, and at 15%, they would pocket $42 for that hour. That's on pace for $84,000 per year. Nobody's starving on 15%.

DMC
11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
A waitperson can normally handle at least four tables of four people. If each person orders something between $15 and $20 (conservative), and everyone stays for an hour, they would sell $280 worth of food, and at 15%, they would pocket $42 for that hour. That's on pace for $84,000 per year. Nobody's starving on 15%.

Yeah..

Servers make 84K a year on average. :lmao

Ever heard of lunch/dinner? That's when people go to restaurants. Never seen one that was busy 8 hours a day with the same wait staff.

Servers don't usually work full weeks. Most of them have to pick up shifts if they have a money crunch, and M-W is slow.

You must be the one who did the figuring for Enron.

DMC
11-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Mexicans are much worse tippers than blacks. I had a server at a place I frequent tell me that the word "tip" is not is not in the Spanish language. Funny.
It is funny considering how much "tip" you've gotten from them.

They only have chile, but they have plenty.

ElNono
11-04-2011, 10:48 PM
I need another 2 or 3 paragraph answer so I can keep trolling Kool in the NBA forums... kthx :lol

DMC
11-04-2011, 10:49 PM
It was breakfast. I had the Ranchero plate with a drink, wife had a taco with water and a kid's plate was no more than 4 dollars with a juice.
I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt it was racist. Servers have to serve all different races all day long. If they just considered tips all the time, they wouldn't do a very good job.

I've gotten shitty service in plenty of places when I thought others were getting good service. Just don't go back.

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I need another 2 or 3 paragraph answer so I can keep trolling Kool in the NBA forums... kthx :lol

use chuck 85000 response

ChuckD
11-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Yeah..

Servers make 84K a year on average. :lmao

Ever heard of lunch/dinner? That's when people go to restaurants. Never seen one that was busy 8 hours a day with the same wait staff.

Servers don't usually work full weeks. Most of them have to pick up shifts if they have a money crunch, and M-W is slow.

You must be the one who did the figuring for Enron.

Have you ever worked food service? I have, and a lot of the waitstaff works both lunch and dinner. 11-2, and say, 5-10...hmmm. that's EIGHT hours in ONE day. Wow.

Let's knock of a generous 25% from my estimate for shifts they can't pick up, putting them at a pedestrian 30 hours a week waiting tables for only 16 people per hour who only order food that costs between $15 and $20 and receiving tips of only 15%. That's still $63,000 a year for a job that you can do with a HS diploma.

DMC
11-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Have you ever worked food service? I have, and a lot of the waitstaff works both lunch and dinner. 11-2, and say, 5-10...hmmm. that's EIGHT hours in ONE day. Wow.

Sure, some work doubles. It's not the norm, so why would you give the extreme end as a figure when it's nowhere close to the median?

Did you ever make 84K in a year waiting tables?

Let's knock of a generous 25% from my estimate for shifts they can't pick up, putting them at a pedestrian 30 hours a week waiting tables for only 16 people per hour who only order food that costs between $15 and $20 and receiving tips of only 15%. That's still $63,000 a year for a job that you can do with a HS diploma.Now you are assuming a server is working 30 hours a week, every week, and that they have steady business every hour they work.

The average for restaurant servers is <27K a year.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-04-2011, 11:41 PM
:lmao

Wild Cobra
11-04-2011, 11:43 PM
That's all fine if your place is busy for your 8 hr. shift. Problem is, there are times with nobody to wait on, or so few each water/waitress gets only a few tables a day. Sometimes most the is slow day. hard for staffing too, because of the unexpected times you get busy.

ChuckD
11-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Sure, some work doubles. It's not the norm, so why would you give the extreme end as a figure when it's nowhere close to the median?

Did you ever make 84K in a year waiting tables?

Now you are assuming a server is working 30 hours a week, every week, and that they have steady business every hour they work.

The average for restaurant servers is 27K a year.

They must not be waiting many tables. The estimates of 16 people per hour and average tabs of $15 to $20 per person are pretty conservative. You can do that at any Red Lobster, Olive Garden, or Salt Grass. That $27K may also be what they declare, which can be much different from what they make. I can tell you if it's cash, it isn't declared.

DMC
11-04-2011, 11:55 PM
They must not be waiting many tables. The estimates of 16 people per hour and average tabs of $15 to $20 per person are pretty conservative. You can do that at any Red Lobster, Olive Garden, or Salt Grass. That $27K may also be what they declare, which can be much different from what they make. I can tell you if it's cash, it isn't declared.
Do you think the establishments you mentioned are the average?

The average is what it is.

Did you ever make 84K a year as a server? You didn't answer that.

Did you ever make your more conservative estimate of 63K?

Wild Cobra
11-05-2011, 12:10 AM
I regularly go places like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, The Outback, etc. Sure, these people make good money when it's busy, but it's not busy all day. Especially in this economy. I'll agree they probably make $40+/hr when it's busy, but that's only a few hours a day.

CubanSucks
11-05-2011, 12:10 AM
motherfucker. I don't get on for 9 hours and there's a racial thread that's too long to jump in on?

could I please get a recap? Preferably DoK, BSM, or 4>0rings

Wild Cobra
11-05-2011, 12:12 AM
motherfucker. I don't get on for 9 hours and there's a racial thread that's too long to jump in on?

Prejudice waitress doesn't keep black family's water glass filled.

News at 11.

Dex
11-05-2011, 12:13 AM

It's gone from an argument that black people are cheap....to an argument that 15% is too low.....to an argument that Persians are cheap....to an argument that waiters are over/underpaid.

BRHornet45
11-05-2011, 12:23 AM
sons this is what I hate about my black side and I get stereotyped because of it and well unfortunately .... rightfully so. I saw it for myself when I was in college working as a waiter that when black people walk into the restaurant they demand the fucking moon, then walk out leaving next to nothing (if anything) for a tip.

sons I have been preaching against this type of shit for years now. I have been called a traitor, a uncle Tom, you name it... but that has not stopped me from speaking truth! you want equal rights you black people!? well guess what you have long had them in this country and if anything you have "special rights" and if you had enough sense to poke piss out of a boot then you should realize that by now! stop bitching and moaning and take some responsibility for your own actions! start tipping at least 15% and stop acting like the world owes you something because they don't!

CubanSucks
11-05-2011, 12:27 AM
if I had a nickel for every time a black person in the service industry was rude to me I'd probably have around a couple bucks

Wild Cobra
11-05-2011, 12:29 AM
sons this is what I hate about my black side and I get stereotyped because of it and well unfortunately .... rightfully so. I saw it for myself when I was in college working as a waiter that when black people walk into the restaurant they demand the fucking moon, then walk out leaving next to nothing (if anything) for a tip.

sons I have been preaching against this type of shit for years now. I have been called a traitor, a uncle Tom, you name it... but that has not stopped me from speaking truth! you want equal rights you black people!? well guess what you have long had them in this country and if anything you have "special rights" and if you had enough sense to poke piss out of a boot then you should realize that by now! stop bitching and moaning and take some responsibility for your own actions! start tipping at least 15% and stop acting like the world owes you something because they don't!
I'm trying to remember who I know who worked for tips that told me, and then I saw it firsthand myself between jobs delivering pizzas... but it appears black people are very poor tippers, as a group. When the odds are maybe 90% that you will get a pathetic tip, why waste your time?

Pretty hard for the 10% who do tip properly.

I know you guys will rag on me for this, and why I didn't say it earlier.

Vici
11-05-2011, 01:30 AM

Let's knock of a generous 25% from my estimate for shifts they can't pick up, putting them at a pedestrian 30 hours a week waiting tables for only 16 people per hour who only order food that costs between $15 and $20 and receiving tips of only 15%. That's still $63,000 a year for a job that you can do with a HS diploma.

Do you seriously believe waiters make anywhere near that much?

Honestly, I want you to to type "I believe waiter make 60k+ a year."

FFS GMs and Head Chefs rarely make 60k. Most managers make half that.

Vici
11-05-2011, 01:34 AM
I regularly go places like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, The Outback, etc. Sure, these people make good money when it's busy, but it's not busy all day. Especially in this economy. I'll agree they probably make $40+/hr when it's busy, but that's only a few hours a day.

LOL! A server at a good restaurant will make on average $12. I worked at a high end in Austin and I made just above that. It's a hell of a lot better than $8 but $40 an hour? Seriously? If servers made half that consistently I'd pick it back up to make extra cash.

Wild Cobra
11-05-2011, 01:42 AM
LOL! A server at a good restaurant will make on average $12. I worked at a high end in Austin and I made just above that. It's a hell of a lot better than $8 but $40 an hour? Seriously? If servers made half that consistently I'd pick it back up to make extra cash.
I said when it's busy for a few hours, and it's not busy every day.

Grey Spurfan
11-05-2011, 02:44 AM

This is what happens when you don't have a father figure to teach you things like this tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2011, 02:48 AM
the waitress job hospitality

why not just increase ur food prices and pay them a hr wage then some stupid low wage bullshit and expect tips...

tipping is not accustomed down here...cause waiters earn 15-20 bucks and hour + superannuation 9%...if they get tips they dont usually disclose it on tax return cause its mainly cash in hand, but the tax office usually knows how much these ppl earn avg and usually get audited...

Alice
11-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Hell, I've seen bad tipping from all types of people and rudeness and Uncle Tomness and my shit don't stink attitudes. :bang

The Reckoning
11-05-2011, 05:44 AM
middle aged white guys, church groups and the "dons" (usually the grandfather) of mexican families always tip the best

ranchers, super old people, women and black ppl tip shit

Kai
11-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Waiters hate getting black people. That's just how the restaurant industry is.

Nathan89
11-05-2011, 11:23 AM

http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/travelplanner/a/TippingGuide.htm

Waiter
Tip 15 percent based on the pre-tax total, more if the service has been good in a low-priced restaurant. Tip 20-25 percent in a fine restaurant. If a service charge is already included, only add a tip for superior service.

Like I said 15-20% is fine. I doubt 20% is average.

Oh yeah someone mentioned a family member tipping based off the pre-tax total. I never thought or heard anything about that before but apparently that is the way to go.

My tip is decreasing:lol

Nathan89
11-05-2011, 11:28 AM
My parents are bad tippers. Sad but true. First, they insist that the tip should be taken from the subtotal. "I'm tipping the service, not the goverment!" They'll take 15% of that, and if it ends up being like 10-20 cents over a dollar, they'll round that shit down. :nope

Myself, I'm usually a 20-30% tipper unless the service is just terrible, then I'll go down to 10-15%. Even 10% feels sheisty to me, but if you pay 15%, they don't get the point that you're tipping according to their bad service...they just think you're a bad tipper. And I always round up to the nearest dollar....none of that $X.39 crap.

Waiter
Tip 15 percent based on the pre-tax total, more if the service has been good in a low-priced restaurant. Tip 20-25 percent in a fine restaurant. If a service charge is already included, only add a tip for superior service.

Smart parents, IMHO. I bet you gave them shit about this before... they were in the right. At the very least you should recognize it's not a unreasonable thing to do.

Vici
11-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Oh yeah someone mentioned a family member tipping based off the pre-tax total. I never thought or heard anything about that before but apparently that is the way to go.

Oprah said to not tip an anyalcoholic beverages. You may as well start doing that since it saves you money.

Doubt it all you want but it won't fix being wrong.

Justify being a cheap fuck anyway you want but you're still cheap.

baseline bum
11-05-2011, 12:04 PM

That link is ridiculous. You tip a higher percentage in an expensive restaurant than in a cheap one? What kind of garbage is that? In a little neighborhood joint the waiters don't make shit off $5-$10 plates + $2 tea, so why would one ever tip his waiter a lower percentage there than at a place with where he buys a $50 steak and $20 worth of booze?

Dex
11-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Smart parents, IMHO. I bet you gave them shit about this before... they were in the right. At the very least you should recognize it's not a unreasonable thing to do.

:lol I have, like two weeks ago in fact. Apparently it's a "going rule", but I don't necessarily think they just pulled the rule out of nowhere. I still think it's the cheap way to go, though.

Creepn
11-05-2011, 12:28 PM
This is what happens when you don't have a father figure to teach you things like this tbh.

Shut it Persian!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUmjxhyOsYS_1am2pKrevXYa7vYxwyr X5HemlCHBa4HEHtCpPCI_yNyUyh8Q

You of all people could learn from this thread.

AmericanPsycho
11-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I use my tip calculator and leave the correct 15% to the penny.

spursncowboys
11-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Can we please stop calling them black people. The new term is negros. and did you pull a wad a money out and ask how much it would take to turn one of those white pies into a negro pie?

Creepn
11-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I use my tip calculator and leave the correct 15% to the penny.

Apparently, you are still a shitty tipper.

Leetonidas
11-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't tip much because I'm a poor college student. You wanna make more money, get a better fucking job that doesn't have you working off tips (unless you're a hot big-titted bitch)

ginobili's bald spot
11-05-2011, 04:02 PM

:lmao:lmao WTF

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Can we please stop calling them black people. The new term is negros. and did you pull a wad a money out and ask how much it would take to turn one of those white pies into a negro pie?
Change your sig tbh. The military chodes you were killing innocent Iraqis with are gone, AND forgotten.

CubanSucks
11-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't tip much because I'm a poor college student. You wanna make more money, get a better fucking job that doesn't have you working off tips (unless you're a hot big-titted bitch)

instead of being an asshole by not tipping much, try saving your money as a "poor college student" by not eating out at a fucking restaurant to begin with. Try fast food, they don't expect tips and the food's cheaper

Monostradamus
11-05-2011, 05:21 PM
we'd be remiss if this wasn't somewhere in the thread.

enJwYaeolXc

spursncowboys
11-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Change your sig tbh. The military chodes you were killing innocent Iraqis with are gone, AND forgotten.

You are a pussy. TBH cowards like you sit at home typing shit on the internet and doing nothing with your life. You probably still get milk off the nip. I bet you get scared driving inside 410, little bitch...TBH. Unlike your memories of your fathers dick in your mouth, I'm not forgetting and will not forget them.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-05-2011, 07:56 PM
No need to be angry Billy Badass, I know I'll never be man enough to have someone else tell me when to piss, shit, sleep and eat.

spursncowboys
11-05-2011, 08:03 PM
yeah cuz you'll always have mommy to wipe your ass, cook, and clean for you.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I'll have my mommy and you'll have your commanding officer doing the same thing :lmao

spursncowboys
11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
very witty...You're an idiot! You clearly have no idea about combat arms and how they operate.

Bill_Brasky
11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
very witty...You're an idiot! You clearly have no idea about combat arms and how they operate.

Keep on puttin your life on the line makin those rich dudes richer bro. :tu

DMC
11-05-2011, 09:13 PM
:lmao:lmao WTF
Yeah he never did answer the question about his earnings as a server.

DMC
11-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Keep on puttin your life on the line makin those rich dudes richer bro. :tu
Keep underachieving behind that false sense of entitlement you are sporting.

Nathan89
11-05-2011, 09:55 PM

How could they be "gone and forgotten" if he remembers them?

Nathan89
11-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Oprah said to not tip an anyalcoholic beverages. You may as well start doing that since it saves you money.

Doubt it all you want but it won't fix being wrong.

How is 15-20% tip being a cheap fuck? I just gave you a source that said 15% of the pre-tax total is the recommended amount.

Just because you tip 20% doesn't make it average.

Vici
11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
How is 15-20% tip being a cheap fuck? I just gave you a source that said 15% of the pre-tax total is the recommended amount.

Just because you tip 20% doesn't make it average.

It's average because it's the average.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/HeresATip20PercentIsTheNew15Percent.aspx

and you're a cheap fuck because you're a cheap and you're a fuck because you try to justify it as being normal.

Nathan89
11-06-2011, 01:54 AM

It's average because it's the average.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/HeresATip20PercentIsTheNew15Percent.aspx

and you're a cheap fuck because you're a cheap and you're a fuck because you try to justify it as being normal.

And I'd say 90% to 95% are now tipping 20%," said Peter Post, of the Emily Post Institute. "And it's for the most basic of reasons: It's simpler."
On the fly, it's easier to figure out 20% than 15%. You simply round up, move the decimal point one place and double the result.

So basically my assumption was correct the entire time. People tip 20% because they suck at math. Thanks for the link.

Can't do math...what to do... Oh, I'll just tip 20% and act like I'm generous instead of a stupid fuck that can't calculate simple math.:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-06-2011, 06:45 AM
How could they be "gone and forgotten" if he remembers them?
They're forgotten because the government and the people who used them to fight an oil war don't give two shits about them or their family. People in the military are brainwashed to think that when they die they're viewed as :cryheroes:cry and they might be gone but :crynot forgotten:cry, but the truth is those who died in Iraq aren't be viewed as shit.

spursncowboys
11-06-2011, 11:38 AM
You are a retard. I don't give a shit about anyone in the government or cowards like you. If you remember, appreciate or even pay attention to 18 year old kids dieing. I will remember.I could give a fuck how anyone views my brothers. It's what the .001% of the American population who put on a uniform and was in a form of combat that matters to me. So will everyone who was with them. An oil war huh? Talk about brain washed. So where is the oil then? Even the super liberals don't contend that we went to war for oil anymore. That idea ended in like 04. However I doubt you are the normal opinion of how Americans view veterans. TBH IMO.

spursncowboys
11-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Isn't Sundays when you have to get all your clothes and happy socks together to give to your mom so she can do your laundry?

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-06-2011, 11:47 AM
You are a retard. I don't give a shit about anyone in the government or cowards like you. If you remember, appreciate or even pay attention to 18 year old kids dieing. I will remember.I could give a fuck how anyone views my brothers. It's what the .001% of the American population who put on a uniform and was in a form of combat that matters to me. So will everyone who was with them. An oil war huh? Talk about brain washed. So where is the oil then? Even the super liberals don't contend that we went to war for oil anymore. That idea ended in like 04. However I doubt you are the normal opinion of how Americans view veterans. TBH IMO.
lol thinking you accomplished something in Iraq

Did Haliburton compensate you for all the no-bid contracts they got because of you?

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-06-2011, 11:51 AM
spursncowboys is probably one of those GI Joes who made some ultra-corny response video to Soulja Boy's song "Lets be Real"

Axe Murderer
11-06-2011, 11:58 AM
:lol holy shit how did i miss this entire thread?

baseline bum
11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Did Haliburton compensate you for all the no-bid contracts they got because of you?

Halliburton showed their thanks by electrocuting motherfuckers in the shower tbh.

Axe Murderer
11-06-2011, 12:11 PM

tbh when i used to be a waiter at Papadeaux during the summer, ill say indians were the absolute worst, but i never saw them often.

atleast with black ppl, i could luck out and get one of those brothas who was a Tarheels/Lakers/Cowboys/Yankees fan and shoot the shit with him about sports. they usually tip decent if you get along with them. indians were hopeless though

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Most TROGs (Indians) are broke as fuck and have like a 50 word vocabulary. No surprise they can't tip for shit. They prolly don't even know what a tip is.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Since when I am supposed to give a fuck that they make a shitty hourly wage?

ElNono
11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Most TROGs (Indians) are broke as fuck and have like a 50 word vocabulary. No surprise they can't tip for shit. They prolly don't even know what a tip is.

But they also have 18 kids to feed :cry :cry :cry

spursncowboys
11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
spursncowboys is probably one of those GI Joes who made some ultra-corny response video to Soulja Boy's song "Lets be Real"

lmao. Seriously? War for oil and Haliburton? Have you lived in a basement for six years? I can tell the years your mom paid for your community college.

Leetonidas
11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
instead of being an asshole by not tipping much, try saving your money as a "poor college student" by not eating out at a fucking restaurant to begin with. Try fast food, they don't expect tips and the food's cheaper

Why don't you focus on ascending from the rank of jizz mopper instead of trying to lend financial advice you faggot :toast

mouse
11-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Creepn is someone's troll and we've all been trolled up the ass by him.

I haven't

CubanSucks
11-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Why don't you focus on ascending from the rank of jizz mopper instead of trying to lend financial advice you faggot :toast

organization fell. I have no title now

Wild Cobra
11-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Halliburton showed their thanks by electrocuting motherfuckers in the shower tbh.
Another spin from someone who hates what president Clinton did to our military.

Wild Cobra
11-07-2011, 03:21 AM
lmao. Seriously? War for oil and Haliburton? Have you lived in a basement for six years? I can tell the years your mom paid for your community college.
You must have been in the real world too long. Remember... There are a lot of shitheads Kool Aid drinking Libtard Lemmings here, who listen to the likes of Randi Rhodes, Michael Mooreon, etc.

baseline bum
11-07-2011, 10:12 AM
^ LOL retarded dittohead.