PDA

View Full Version : Does this lockout actually help the Spurs???

JsnSA
11-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Considering the core of our team is getting up there in age, do you think the fact that we will have a shortened season (if any) may actually help our chances?

It seems like the last few years we keep having guys break down by the time the playoffs come around. Perhaps this will give us a chance for one more asterisk? If so I'll take it. :lobt2:

baseline bum
11-04-2011, 10:38 PM
No, the Spurs' age will be a big problem if the league starts having back-to-back-to-back games like they did in 1999. Do you remember how spent the Jazz were by May that year?

baseline bum
11-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Although I guess you could make the argument that a 50 game season would indirectly help them since it would lead to a worse record than in a full season, and thus a better pick in a stacked 2012 draft.

ChuckD
11-04-2011, 11:27 PM
No, the Spurs' age will be a big problem if the league starts having back-to-back-to-back games like they did in 1999. Do you remember how spent the Jazz were by May that year?

Exactly. While the 99 team was old, they had a VERY young superstar quality Tim Duncan to lean into.

DMC
11-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I don't think it will help us.

If the playoffs started next week, we would be out in the 1st round again because we likely won't make the transition back to being a defense first squad, and that's because we "did so good" in the regular season last year. Surely someone will spin it that way in the front office.

spurs1990
11-04-2011, 11:52 PM
I need either Kobe or the Heat to win the astrisk title this season. That would be epic for all time.

Giuseppe
11-05-2011, 01:32 AM
I need either Kobe or the Heat to win the astrisk title this season.

I'll settle for the former.

Giuseppe
11-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Exactly. While the 99 team was old, they had a VERY young superstar quality Tim Duncan to lean into.

He's just the shit bag now.

weebo
11-05-2011, 01:00 PM
The only way this lockout helps the Spurs is that it keeps Bonner and Dick from wearing a Spur's uniform.

TDMVPDPOY
11-06-2011, 11:15 PM
if this helps holt to recover his losses from last season by not payin this season, why not?

no season, means duncans contract goes of the books since its expiring

12/13 season draft lottery if all teams have equal chance of landing 1st pick...

if theres amnesty, get rid of rj

SPURS REBUILDING!!!

Stalin
11-08-2011, 12:54 AM
yes

Sean Cagney
11-09-2011, 12:58 PM
He's just the shit bag now.

Do you ever say anything different or are you just senile now?

Fabbs
11-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Do you ever say anything different or are you just senile now?
He's getting ready for his new job assignment.
Stay tuned.

TimmehC
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Hell no. The best player in fanchise history was in just his second year, while the more established teams' stars were all older, causing them to be gassed at the end of a compressed season. Everyone else did their part too, but they were greatly helped by the fact that Timmy was young enough to handle it with no problems. Manu and Timmy would not be able to handle a compressed season very well at this point in their careers.

Edit: Holt and Buford's recent behavior also doesn't help our cause with free agents.

Giuseppe
11-09-2011, 03:17 PM
...the thought of Neal bendin' their womenfolk over the water cooler doesn't help either.

tee, hee.

41times
11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
If there is an actual season this year (1/2 season) then yes the lockout helps both the Spurs and Mavs because we are old. 40 games is a lot easier on the body then 80 when you are old.

Conversely it hurts the younger teams like OKC because their legs aren't as tired after 82 games.

But it will mean that every game is at a premium if there is only a 40-50 game regular season.

Dear Santa, bring us a labor agreement!

clambake
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
eh, just another asterisk year.

TimmehC
11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
...the thought of Neal bendin' their womenfolk over the water cooler doesn't help either.

tee, hee.

How do you feel about Mr. Pearce gettin' bent over the water cooler last night, Cully?

therealtruth
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't think it will help us.

If the playoffs started next week, we would be out in the 1st round again because we likely won't make the transition back to being a defense first squad, and that's because we "did so good" in the regular season last year. Surely someone will spin it that way in the front office.

I agree the only way to get back to winning is improving the defense. Defense gives you more consistency than offense because shots don't always fall. Plus defense can fuel your offense of steals and turnovers. The Spurs had the number one offensive efficiency even with the offense faltering towards the end. Assuming they can maintain and improve the offense slightly, if they just improve their defensive efficiency they can definitely win it all. In fact I think if Anderson and Splitter had played more last season they would have helped the defense more.

Sean Cagney
11-09-2011, 11:37 PM
eh, just another asterisk year.

Still got three more titles than your team does bro, good joke though. :rolleyes

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-11-2011, 12:54 PM

This.

Give the Spurs a FIBA tournament-type season and I think their chances of getting the gold are pretty good. :tu

DMC
11-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I agree the only way to get back to winning is improving the defense. Defense gives you more consistency than offense because shots don't always fall. Plus defense can fuel your offense of steals and turnovers. The Spurs had the number one offensive efficiency even with the offense faltering towards the end. Assuming they can maintain and improve the offense slightly, if they just improve their defensive efficiency they can definitely win it all. In fact I think if Anderson and Splitter had played more last season they would have helped the defense more.
They won't be able to maintain the offense and improve the defense at the same time. That's because their scheme was an offensive scheme and their players were mostly scorers.

The Spurs would need to slow it down and have the PG distribute the ball into the paint more, but with Tim aging and Tiago once again not seeing training camp, my vote goes toward the repeat of last season.

Everyone in the NBA except the Suns learned something from the Suns' up tempo offense; it sells tickets, and if you don't have the firepower and defenses to legitimately challenge for the title, you might as well entertain the crowd.