PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a novice chef.

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Now im not asking for recipies, Im just asking for advice on how to cook some stuff.

First off, Im starting back on my Atkins diet, because im a fat toad and would like to look decent for the next roundtable in November.

I usually eat mostly, chicken, steak, beef, salad, when on the diet.

Id like some advice on marinades (spelling blech)

Some people like to make scratch marinades some like to use already made.

Myself??? Id like to take a shot at scratch, pouring something in a pan, then rubbing in some stuff.

Also, For Atkins Dieters only, is there any alternates to meat and salad that are ok for the diet that you have found??

I feel boxed in cause im not a big vegetable fan.

Thanks guys.

Bandit2981
06-15-2005, 04:09 PM
TPark, stay away from Atkins, its not a healthy diet at all. Try to use the South Beach Diet, they let you actually eat carbs(the good ones) and i believe they have a large list of foods that are acceptable

nickbroken
06-15-2005, 04:14 PM
http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:17 PM
TPark, stay away from Atkins, its not a healthy diet at all

Agree to disagree.

Ive talked with my doctor and hes cool with it.

Save the preaching.

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:18 PM
thanks nick.

Now i see why everyone loves you :)

Bandit2981
06-15-2005, 04:23 PM
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=48EA9687-4ECE-47D5-A5E0-8D401D900406

Atkins, which has led the low-carb charge, got good scores for short-term weight loss, but landed at the bottom of the ratings because of poor marks on retention and nutrition.

The report, released in Consumer Reports magazine's June issue, said the Atkins diet calls for too much fat and saturated fat, too few fruits, too little fiber and "might have a negative effect on some dieters' health."

its your health, do whatever you please, but be warned.

Guru of Nothing
06-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Cooking meat is easy, and unless you are just burning up with desire to create your own marinades, just go with store bought (and dry rubs too).

If you really want to get your diet going in the right direction, (and you want to accomplish something impressive in the kitchen) I highly, HIGHLY recommend the book Perfect Vegetables (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/0936184698/0/101/1/none/purchase/ref%3Dpd%5Fsxp%5Fr0/103-3007060-1999810).

I too used to not like vegetables, but being the flexitarian (vegetarian flip-flopper) that I am, I felt it necessary to find tasty vegetable recipes. The book Perfect Vegetables is excellent, nay, IT's DA BOMB.

Try it, you'll like it.

desflood
06-15-2005, 04:29 PM
As far as alternatives go, try cheese or nuts (not too many). This will sound strange, but I found that cream cheese on pork rinds delicious.

nickbroken
06-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Intruth, atkins is really bad for you too many sat/trans fats, the point is you NEED carbs just the right kind high protein and low carb diets are always the best, you want complex carbs really and not simple carbs, take whole wheat products, veggies, some fruits in there really, cut out all simple sugars and carbs, no soda, no beer ect, also working out helps a lot, diets only do so much and you have to be careful you don't want to drop too fast.It's ok to have something "bad" here and there , but don't over do it.

Mainly you really want a diet of chicken,fish, some red meats,veggies,fruits,nuts,whole wheat products(It's how I eat, I'm Hypoglycemic)Really just higher protein because protein speeds up your metabolism, by like 30ish % I think if I remember right, it also enables you to build muscle,You also want to do strength training work out if you want to lose weight, jogging and walking is good also depending on your weight you can burn 500+ calories an hour of walking like 2 mph,But you want the weight training because it builds more muscle and the more muscle the more weight you lose, it's the best way to lose it, because you burn x amount of calories a day, a pound of fat only burns 5 calories while a pound of muscle burns 60 calories a day, so the more muscle the more you burn not working out just in general, if you want any tips or anything just pm me and I will give you some good work out routines and meals ect.

Good for you by deciding to take this route.

desflood
06-15-2005, 04:36 PM
If you actually read Atkin's book, you'll see that he does not advocate a high-fat diet in the long run, only short term. Start out high-fat in the beginning, then slowly switch over to low-fat sources of protein.

nickbroken
06-15-2005, 04:41 PM
If you actually read Atkin's book, you'll see that he does not advocate a high-fat diet in the long run, only short term. Start out high-fat in the beginning, then slowly switch over to low-fat sources of protein.

Eh fat isn't bad for you, the right kinds anyways, fats from nuts even meat isnt really bad for you, the only bad thing for you is simple sugars and carbs sat fat isn't even that big of a deal, high protein and some good fats for the win imho, most meat isn't really bad on fat anyways, chicken has no fat really, well skinless and breast, fish is nothing but protein and good fat and very low in calories, in the end for losing weight it doesnt overly matter, calories are calories 3500 calories in chocolate or carrots still = a pound of fat.

Guru of Nothing
06-15-2005, 04:42 PM
If you actually read Atkin's book

Atkins Diet is bad for individuals that exercise.

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:45 PM
desflood is right.

Although, I think Ill switch to southbeach just on the fact, you can have fruits wich I LOVE, (nothin better than a cold fruit salad of blueberries strawberrys rasberrys bannanas on a hot day in the summer)

I like that the whole wheat, (Wich I dont mind, I love a good turkey whole wheat sandwich)

Thanks for the recipie advice Guru looks great.

desflood
06-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Eh fat isn't bad for you, the right kinds anyways, fats from nuts even meat isnt really bad for you, the only bad thing for you is simple sugars and carbs sat fat isn't even that big of a deal, high protein and some good fats for the win imho, most meat isn't really bad on fat anyways, chicken has no fat really, well skinless and breast, fish is nothing but protein and good fat and very low in calories, in the end for losing weight it doesnt overly matter, calories are calories 3500 calories in chocolate or carrots still = a pound of fat.
:lol Yeah, I keep telling people on these high-carb low-fat diets that fat occurs naturally in many foods. Sugar occurs naturally only in fruit and a few veggies, and that there is a difference between the sugar in fruit and sugar that's been refined a thousand times over. They just keep going back to, "But fat is bad for you," and all the while they're not losing the weight they want to.

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:46 PM
just go with store bought (and dry rubs too).

what are some great ones Guru, that you have used or found??

BTW, I grill all my meat, IMO, the best way.

SWC Bonfire
06-15-2005, 04:51 PM
I am assuming on the "south beach diet" you can eat anything you want as long as you step it up in the playoffs. :lol Really, I'd suggest that any carbs you eat have a lot of fiber with 'em.

As for marinades, I like a simple worchestershire & Tony Chachere's or Cavender's greek seasoning.

Xolotl
06-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I use soy sauce in my steak marinade any one else tried that?

nickbroken
:lol Yeah, I keep telling people on these high-carb low-fat diets that fat occurs naturally in many foods. Sugar occurs naturally only in fruit and a few veggies, and that there is a difference between the sugar in fruit and sugar that's been refined a thousand times over. They just keep going back to, "But fat is bad for you," and all the while they're not losing the weight they want to.

Yeah I love those high carb low fat diets, EAT LOW FAT YOU'LL LOSE WEIGHT...oh wait what's with?Low fat food is stuffed with sugar that causes your blood sugar to spike and insulin to spike and make your blood sugar drop making you feel like shit, and sooner or later causing diabetes.

Sugar is sugar though your pancreas(spelling?)can't tell the difference between sugar from an apple or a candy bar, but the difference is that apple has fiber in in which causes the sugar to be absorbed slowly into the blood steam and fall slowly also, instead of all these simple sugars and carbs they go right through and spike in the blood stream,causing the spike in insulin causing you get get hungry because your blood sugar is dropping it's crappy, the human race wasn't meant to eat simple sugars or carbs, sugar is a poison intruth it's one dna molecule off of cocaine, same family plant, just as addictive.

Wanna lose weight TPark? Ditch the bullshit diet fad crap and just exercise.

I know, I know, it's an alien concept in our society to actually put forth labor and effort to gain what you want, but trust me, it works and had for thousands of years.

Here's what you do and I guarantee you'll shed pounds. You don't need a fancy gym membership and you can take the regimen on the road with you.

100 pushups
100 situps
30 pullups (dead hang)
30 minutes running stairs (outside in the real world)

Work yourself up to those limits and repeat daily.

06-15-2005, 04:54 PM
I too used to not like vegetables, but being the flexitarian.....

Flexitarian???

That's not really a word, is it?

Guru of Nothing
06-15-2005, 04:56 PM
what are some great ones Guru, that you have used or found??

BTW, I grill all my meat, IMO, the best way.

Nothing fancy. For dry rubs, I like McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning the best (aka known as Canadian steak seasoning if you buy the industrial size at Sam's club). McCormicks also makes a Montreal-type chicken dry rub.

As for marinades, I'd typically pick up the standard Lawry's stuff. I'm sure others will have better suggestions. Personally I'd recommend soaking a 2-pound flank steak in Lawry's mesquite and lime overnight in the fridge, and then cooking it over a very hot grill for 10 minutes on each side. Then just slice it against the grain and trick it out like you would fajitas.

T Park
06-15-2005, 04:56 PM

I have a job that starts at 8 am and ends at midnight, and there is no time in between.

Im doin this diet, but the carnival I contract with is building a trailer that will have state of the art work out equipment that will be made for the owners and supervisors only, if you pay a 100 a year fee.

Cool with me.

Ill be getting up at 5, getting in there for 2 hours, and doing the diet.

Thanks for the advice.

Guru of Nothing
06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Flexitarian???

That's not really a word, is it?

Well, it's on the Internets now, so it must be a word.

nickbroken
06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Wanna lose weight TPark? Ditch the bullshit diet fad crap and just exercise.

I know, I know, it's an alien concept in our society to actually put forth labor and effort to gain what you want, but trust me, it works and had for thousands of years.

Here's what you do and I guarantee you'll shed pounds. You don't need a fancy gym membership and you can take the regimen on the road with you.

100 pushups
100 situps
30 pullups (dead hang)
30 minutes running stairs (outside in the real world)

Work yourself up to those limits and repeat daily.

You're right and wrong, yes you need to work out, but if you don't eat less then you burn you'll stay the same weight or still gain, intruth what you weigh isn't that big of a deal, more you BMI ,I mean shit I weigh like 215-220 and my BMI is like 12-13% so weight isn't so important, muscle weighs more then fat.

E20
06-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Do what I did for HS Wrestling. Eat twice a day and jog hella.

06-15-2005, 04:59 PM
You're right and wrong, yes you need to work out, but if you don't eat less then you burn you'll stay the same weight or still gain, intruth what you weigh isn't that big of a deal, more you BMI ,I mean shit I weigh like 215-220 and my BMI is like 12-13% so weight isn't so important, muscle weighs more then fat.

Agreed Nick, I should have thrown a caveat in that eating sensibly is key as well.

Duff McCartney
06-15-2005, 05:00 PM
30 pullups (dead hang)

God damn...I can't even do one pull up. They are not my forte.

E20
06-15-2005, 05:01 PM
If you wanna be stronger just take some Creatine! That's what I'm expermenting with this summer.

Duff McCartney
06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
If you wanna be stronger just take some Creatine! That's what I'm expermenting with this summer.

You know the body produces it's own creatine right? The only thing the body does with extra creatine is piss it out.

SWC Bonfire
06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
the human race wasn't meant to eat simple sugars or carbs, sugar is a poison intruth it's one dna molecule off of cocaine, same family plant, just as addictive.

Uh, you're parrotting something that you heard somewhere and it is totally wrong, which takes away from the fact that too much sugar & simple carbohydrates is horrible for you. Eat more beef and drive up cattle prices.

T Park
06-15-2005, 05:03 PM
weight isnt what Im wanting to lose.

Its BF.

Body fat. when you cant shop at Old Navy and have to start shopping where George Foreman's picture is out front, thats when you slap yourslef, drop the chocolate muffin, and pick up a dumbbell.

nickbroken
06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Do what I did for HS Wrestling. Eat twice a day and jog hella.

Meh... I think he might be better off with 5-6 small meals a day instead, the problem with eatting 2 meals a day is you tend to overeat because you are massively hungry...granted that prolly worked best for you man you must of been in great shape with that...and yeah I'm posting way too much on this subject....change my name to doctor nick. :smokin

06-15-2005, 05:04 PM

I have a job that starts at 8 am and ends at midnight, and there is no time in between.

Im doin this diet, but the carnival I contract with is building a trailer that will have state of the art work out equipment that will be made for the owners and supervisors only, if you pay a 100 a year fee.

Cool with me.

Ill be getting up at 5, getting in there for 2 hours, and doing the diet.

Thanks for the advice.

Pure cop out TPark. In one sentance you say you have no time, and in another you say you'll get in at 0500 for two hours.

I'm not throwing rocks at you personally, Lord knows I don't follow my own advice most of the time (Sitting on the couch drinking a Lone Star in the A/C is a hell of a lot easier than going outside in this heat), but you don't need to spend $100 of your hard earned cash and limit yourself to what someone wrote in a book to get where you want to be.

Regardless, good luck in your endeavor, and one final piece of advice: Don't get on a scale weekly and get disappointed with the results when you start. Only weigh yourself monthly and you'll see the real progress.

Duff McCartney
06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi Dr Nick!

http://greenideas.typepad.com/g/dr.nick.gif

nickbroken

There's already Creatine in all the meat we eat anyways so I'm sure we're all covered~

T Park
Regardless, good luck in your endeavor, and one final piece of advice: Don't get on a scale weekly and get disappointed with the results when you start. Only weigh yourself monthly and you'll see the real progress

I dont go by weight, I go by how pants fit, and how quick my 20 chins dissapear.

Brodels
06-15-2005, 05:11 PM
http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/prdmultisell.aspx?L0=SpecialtyFoods&L1=Dressings&L2=Sauces

Awesome stuff. Made in Maine.

Shelly
06-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Tpark--ask Kori to hook you up with the real body solutions forum. It's not as active as it once was (you slackers know who you are! :lol), but if you read back through the archives, there's lots of good advice. And everyone is encouraging.

SpursWoman
06-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Cavender's greek seasoning.

So, so awesome on salads with fresh lemon juice. I love that stuff. :)

nickbroken
06-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Damn I'm hungry now, time to grill me some chicken with garlic, basil thyme and pepper oo lala

E20
06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't play football but, a lot of people who do either take Creatine or Protien powder. I've been doing some research and basically you're body uses the creatine it makes by itself during a workout and then makes enough for you to use over again the next day. Anything after that it turns into lactic acid which makes you're muscles sore. So I read that Creatine basically makes you bigger and stronger depending on your diet. If you take Creatine without working out then Duff is right it just pisses out. :lol

http://www.bla.net/opul/crfaq.htm
^^Creatine FAQ. The side effects sound scary but, nothing too serious.

Bandit2981
06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
tpark if you really want to drop fat quickly, start adding morning cardio 3-5 times a week. nothing real strenuous, you shouldnt ever be out of breath from it. all it takes is a light walk around the block, or if you have a bike or treadmill, just do it for 30-45 minutes in the morning BEFORE breakfast, and the fat will really start to melt away(as long as you stick with the diet). the reason is twofold: 1) when you wake up your body has been in fasting mode during sleep, and morning is the best time for your body to access the fat cells and use them for energy, and 2) morning cardio raises your metabolism into high gear for the rest of the day, so you burn even more fat throughout the day

Bandit2981
06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
all creatine does for workouts is give you extra energy so you can do more reps...the liquid form is probably the best btw, because the powder only has about a 30% absorbtion rate while the liquid is about 90%, and there is no cycling or loading phases with the liquid

nickbroken
06-15-2005, 06:09 PM
tpark if you really want to drop fat quickly, start adding morning cardio 3-5 times a week. nothing real strenuous, you shouldnt ever be out of breath from it. all it takes is a light walk around the block, or if you have a bike or treadmill, just do it for 30-45 minutes in the morning BEFORE breakfast, and the fat will really start to melt away(as long as you stick with the diet). the reason is twofold: 1) when you wake up your body has been in fasting mode during sleep, and morning is the best time for your body to access the fat cells and use them for energy, and 2) morning cardio raises your metabolism into high gear for the rest of the day, so you burn even more fat throughout the day

Cardio only burns for the time you do the cardio, anaerobic or building muscle work outs, make you burn calories after you stop doing them, which is raelly the best for you, but the best would really be a combo of the both, a walk for an hour a day with 20-30 mins of anaerobic 3 times a week is ideal

E20
06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
all creatine does for workouts is give you extra energy so you can do more reps...the liquid form is probably the best btw, because the powder only has about a 30% absorbtion rate while the liquid is about 90%, and there is no cycling or loading phases with the liquid

Creatine seems to be well studied in scientific research. Scientific evidence supporting creatine is there, but while some very good results have been reported, like a 20 lbs body weight gain in 6 weeks and strength increases, others have reported no significant gains whatsoever while taking the supplement.

The thing is I'm not trying to gain more weight but, with the right diet + creatine + working out I can be like Rambo except maybe a less bulkness.

Bandit2981
06-15-2005, 07:36 PM
well, everyones body is different, so some supplements may work wonders for some people, and do absolutely nothing for others. just try some out and see what results you get after a month or so. i would say that the best, that work for just about anybody, would be Glutamine, which is an amino acid and helps with muscle recovery and protein synthesis, and most definitely Protein Whey Powder! I use the whey isolate powder(50g/serving) because more of it gets absorbed by muscles and makes them grow more rapidly. make sure that you take the whey powder or any protein shake in the morning or 1-2 hours before your workout for energy, and then no later than 1-2 hours after your workout when your muscles are dying for anything to restore them

theinstitute
06-15-2005, 10:30 PM
nickbroken has provided the best advice regarding your diet. Good Job NB. Provided everything else is in working order, the two most important hormones regarding metabolism are insulin and glucagon; and, both come from the pancreas. Both of these hormones regulate circulating glucose (sugar in the blood), just in opposite directions of each other. Insulin works to decrease glucose while glucagon attempts to increase circulating glucose. With all the refinement done to our foods today and the bulk of the typical American diet, rarely do we hear anything about glucagon. Rather, all we hear about is insulin; and, it's no wonder with the incidence of type II diabetes. Furthermore, hormone replacement therapy is a big deal in the medical community now simply because of the removal (once again from refining) of vitamins and minerals from the foods we eat.

To be sure, metabolism is highly complex and dependent on several things, including: diet, physical activity, hormones, disease state, stress, etc... but given all that, when you think about eating a diet that decreases the role of insulin and increases the role of glucagon, it's rather simple.

In fact, it's been touched on by several posts. Diets that contain foods as close to their natural state as possible (read another way, ixnay the processing!). Most meats are good, particularly if they are cooked, as well as poultry (even dark meat contains good fats), and cold-water seafood. All fruits and vegetables are good, even though some are high in sugar, they typically contain enough fiber to attenuate the glucose response. Stay as far away as you can from most, if not all, processed foods, particularly white bread, white rice, flour-based products...you get the picture.

And, please don't forget to exercise. I read in one of your posts that you have long working days. Don't let that be an obstacle. It's fairly easy to work physical activity into your working day. If you need some pointers, just let me know.

Okay, that's enough. To ease your minds, I have a Ph.D. in cardiovascular physiology with a concentration in statistics. I feel confident that what I am saying is based on fact.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Hey, this is my second post in two days. Not bad.

E20
06-15-2005, 11:18 PM
TheInstitute what is your advice on getting stronger with fast results. I mean is regular Protien Powder the way to go or should I switch to creatine? Because both are rather expensive.

nickbroken
06-16-2005, 12:11 AM
TheInstitute what is your advice on getting stronger with fast results. I mean is regular Protien Powder the way to go or should I switch to creatine? Because both are rather expensive.

Getting stronger faster or getting defined faster?

E20
06-16-2005, 12:21 AM
:lol I thought you saied getting denied faster.

Getting stronger faster, I can get a definition workout easily without anything special.

nickbroken
06-16-2005, 12:37 AM
:lol I thought you saied getting denied faster.

Getting stronger faster, I can get a definition workout easily without anything special.

3-4 sets max weight you can take max reps is the best/fastest way imho for each muscle group.

EmerilLagasse
06-16-2005, 02:06 AM
This works great for poultry...

2 tbsp. Lea and Perrins Whatsthishere Sauce
1 tbsp. crab boil
1/4 cup apple cider
3/4 cup honey
1 bottle beer
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. allspice
1/2 cup essence or Creole spice
1 pinch clove
and BAM! a 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper to kick it up a notch.

Good eating my man.

theinstitute
06-16-2005, 07:31 AM

What is your objective? Is it to get stronger, bigger or get toned up? The approach to your workout would depend on the answer. Regarding supplements, if the money is just burning a hole in your pocket your best bet is a BLENDED protein powder. Blended protein powders are slow release proteins which increase absorption.

Answer the question and I will get you some more info, in the meantime, I hope this helps.

CosmicCowboy
06-16-2005, 10:26 AM
TPark...back to your original question...

I personally think Atkins works really great for "big" guys...I can really drop weight fast and feel great doing it when I get serious...

Rubs...in San Antonio Bohlners Spices are available and IMHO they make some of the best around...The beef fajita seasoning is probably one of the best "all purpose" seasonings/rubs ever made...Their "Uncle Chris's steak seasoning" is awesome on beef...They also have a poultry rub that is great on whole chickens cooked on the grill...I always carefully seperate the skin from the breast and then season under the skin...I hardly ever use "wet" marinades on meats...they are just unnecessary...season with the dry rubs/seasonings the day before and then wrap the meat in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge...then bring it to room temp before you put it on the grill...

If you are gonna do Atkins don't forget about eggs...they are a great quick alternative to meats...you can do omolettes at home as spicy as you want and they are also great for quick meals while out and about in SA...just get the egg/meat breakfast tacos and don't eat the tortilla...

Once you get into the maintenance part of the diet I always found that I missed pasta...A good substitution is sphaghetti squash...you can cook it in the microwave and just scrape it out in shreds (looks and feels like al dente angel hair pasta) and it is a reasonable alternative served with butter/garlic/spices...

SpursWoman
06-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Reasons #645,546,156,783 & 784 why exercise is crucial to losing weight, and it's more the intrinsic value aside from the obvious fat burning, cardio, toning etc:

1. The more you do it, the more addicted you become to it and the worse you feel if you don't....and it's not a bad addiction to have.

2. The more you workout, your craving for unhealthy food greatly diminishes..but even if you do cave in occasionally, you're not going to hurt yourself. But it makes you feel guilty so you work out harder. :lol

I'm certainly not a Ph.D. on the subject, but I have managed to lose 80 in about 8 months time and have never fluctuated more than 10 pounds in the last 5 years...and in that time have experienced every physical & emotional road-block that can sabbotage all of your efforts & good intentions...so it's more real life than textbook advice.

I've got more to go, but that doesn't take away from what I've already done, even though it is very frustrating at times. Diet is my weakness, but I love to workout...so that helps. I started walking for 30 minutes on a treadmill and would be drenched...now I can go 8-10 miles (about an hour's worth) on my elliptical trainer and still sing along with my (crappy) iPod.

But whatever works for you, above all...BE PATIENT...don't just go for the quick fix (Atkin's), that's not a plan most people can stay with forever. :)

There's my somewhat unsolicited, non-scientific $.02

Jekka
06-16-2005, 10:58 AM
When I did Atkins a couple years ago, I was thrilled that I lost about 12 pounds pretty fast ... and then I got weak and ate a piece of toast and it all came back. About that quickly, too.

MiNuS
06-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Now im not asking for recipies, Im just asking for advice on how to cook some stuff.

First off, Im starting back on my Atkins diet, because im a fat toad and would like to look decent for the next roundtable in November.

Id like some advice on marinades (spelling blech)

Some people like to make scratch marinades some like to use already made.

Myself??? Id like to take a shot at scratch, pouring something in a pan, then rubbing in some stuff.

Also, For Atkins Dieters only, is there any alternates to meat and salad that are ok for the diet that you have found??

I feel boxed in cause im not a big vegetable fan.

Thanks guys.

check,check. Seen those GTG parties where you're pictured.

anything you do whether you eat protein rich foods(chicken,tuna,all fishes,All poultry,sirloin,etc)DRINK ALOT OF WATER. I would say drink ONLY water but just stay away from "diet drinks" especially if they contain "aspartamin"(read labels)Diet Coke & Pespi have it. I recommend drinking Crystal Lite.Mostly water.
The first two weeks are hell! Hang with it and you should lose tons of weight soon.

I would get away from any "marinades". I read that you don't like Veggies/Salads. I recommend you start liking them.Aside what is better
looking great or not liking salads? Do everything in your power to eat
veggies. A tuna w/regular Mayo and some Romaine lettuce/Onions and two
glasses of water will make a great lunch. Eat two cans of tuna!
Always PLAN your meals and have the SNACK ready. CHEESE Sticks,etc.

Again the Induction (2 first two weeks are the worst). Hang in there!

Good luck

SpursWoman
06-16-2005, 11:26 AM
I read that you don't like Veggies/Salads. I recommend you start liking them.

There is another bit of advice I forgot to add. You're only hurting yourself and your efforts by not liking them. Since you like to grill, I suggest you go out and buy a bunch of skewers, either wooden (be sure to soak them in water first) or metal ones...and they also sell all different kinds of little baskets & things (aluminum foil works, too) for grilling them...they do taste really good that way.

And just google "grilled vegetable recipes" and tons upon tons of options will come up. :)

nickbroken
06-16-2005, 11:44 AM
When I did Atkins a couple years ago, I was thrilled that I lost about 12 pounds pretty fast ... and then I got weak and ate a piece of toast and it all came back. About that quickly, too.

Ya that's one major draw back to Atkins, the second you eat those carbs you puff up like kirby. <('.'<)

T Park
06-16-2005, 11:45 AM
I read that you don't like Veggies/Salads.

Im not a big vegetable guy.

BUT, I love salads, i love grilled chicken salads, any kind of salad.

There are WEEKS, when Im on the Atkins diet and Ive had nothing but salads.

Sorry guys, ive been sampling vegetables all my life, I just dont have a taste for em.

Ive grilled em, ate em raw, steamed, pan fried, stuffed.

Im just not a fan.

Salads yes though.

T Park
06-16-2005, 11:46 AM
the second you eat those carbs you puff up like kirby

To be honest, I know of not, one diet, that doesn't do that.

Flea
06-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Tpark--ask Kori to hook you up with the real body solutions forum. It's not as active as it once was (you slackers know who you are! :lol), but if you read back through the archives, there's lots of good advice. And everyone is encouraging.

Is it still around?
I don't have it on my choices anymore......and yes I am one of the slackers.

Shelly
06-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Is it still around?
I don't have it on my choices anymore......and yes I am one of the slackers.

It sure is! And get you slacker ass back in there! :)

Yes, exercise is the key. And as much as I hate it in this weather, I did my 5 mile walk this morning.

Flea
06-16-2005, 12:05 PM
I am so not motivated to exercise. I don't need to lose any weight but I desperately need to move my body.

Kori, can you add me to the real body solutions forum again?

tlongII
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM

You may wish to select one of the above for your next meal instead of all of the above.

nickbroken
06-16-2005, 01:43 PM
To be honest, I know of not, one diet, that doesn't do that.

No I mean really puff up, I know body builders that would eat no carbs before a competition because it gives a lean hard body look when you do that, and afterwards they would eat carbs and no joke gain like 30ish pounds in a few days from it, was insane.

MiNuS
06-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Im not a big vegetable guy.

BUT, I love salads, i love grilled chicken salads, any kind of salad.

There are WEEKS, when Im on the Atkins diet and Ive had nothing but salads.

Sorry guys, ive been sampling vegetables all my life, I just dont have a taste for em.

Ive grilled em, ate em raw, steamed, pan fried, stuffed.

Im just not a fan.

Salads yes though.

check.
don't have to become a fan of Salads just incorporate them in your meals.What is it 78% of our body is water so aside from drinking water also eat water rich foods.Granted you cannot eat fruits in the induction but after that you can certainly add fruits in moderation.I would definetely stay away from all starches,bread,tortillas,and pasta.You should also stay away from sugars,chocolate,cakes.Sounds like a death sentence but sometimes the things we love will kill us. Too much in quantity are bad.Even in Atkins you cannot have more than one cup of salad per meal.

I recommend you see a Dietician so that she may tell you what kind of body you have.OR read up on it and determine for yourself which one you are.

There are 3 basic categories of body types:
endomorph
ectomorph
mesomorph

Not all diets work on every body type. Sometimes the best diet is to close
our mouths when "that feeling" of emptiness comes around. Especially late at night.