PDA

View Full Version : The 1999* Spurs Asterisk, redefined

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
11-05-2011, 10:01 AM
The history on the 1999 Spurs asterisk began with some smack talk from Phil Jackson, probably just using his Zen-warfare to provoke a reaction. Phil didn't even coach that year, he was relaxing at his ranch in Montana. I believe he said something close to this:

"It was a shortened season, there should be some kind of asterisk next to that title in the record book to reflect that."

Since then, we have seen just about every champion have an asterisk added to their title by fans, or haters rather, for every conceivable reason. Of course there are no asterisks in the record books for any championship, let alone 1999, but in order to end the discussion once and for all, below follows a proposal to do just that, by making the asterisk for 1999 a proper and fair one. Let's get this done now, as gentlemen, because otherwise, sour grapes is going to be rule of thumb, and whoever wins in 2012, if we have a season, is going to get an asterisk by the haters.

There is one bit of history I can recall where an asterisk was used in the record books. In 1961 MLB, Yankees slugger Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's single season home-run record of 60 by hitting 61. Even though it was a Yankee who did it, the Babe's mark was considered sacred. Maris was actually reviled by some Yankees faithful. If anyone was going to break the Babe's record, teammate Mickey Mantle would have been preferred. So, the people with clout placed an asterisk on Maris's new home run mark into the record books, and it read pretty much thusly:

Most home runs in a season:
61* Roger Maris

*Maris achieved this in a 162 game season. Babe Ruth hit 60 in a 154 game season.

That asterisk stuck in the books for years, and poor Roger never got over it. He was soon dealt to the St Louis Cardinals, and won another ring with them in 1967. He passed away in 1985. The best tribute to Maris came in 1998 when Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire broke Maris's record. The surviving Maris family was on hand, and Mark went over to them after he hit his 62nd and embraced them. It was very touching, 100 times as much as Reggie Miler congratulating Ray Allen for topping his 3 point mark last winter. And that was very gentlemanly indeed.

So, with the above in mind, an asterisk should be placed in the record books as such:

1999* San Antonio Spurs.
*Shortened 50 game season, 74% winning percentage. On pace to win 60 games. Therefore 14 consecutive seasons of at least 50 wins in regular season is recognized, 1998-2011.

How about it Spurs haters, will you agree to this?
Spurs fans, will you drop the counter asterisk talk?

Let's see who the men are around here. Bookmark and link or bump as appropriate.

baseline bum
11-05-2011, 10:06 AM
It was 12 years ago. Put 10 asterisks on it for all I care.

Koolaid_Man
11-05-2011, 10:11 AM
The history on the 1999 Spurs asterisk began with some smack talk from Phil Jackson, probably just using his Zen-warfare to provoke a reaction. Phil didn't even coach that year, he was relaxing at his ranch in Montana. I believe he said something close to this:

"It was a shortened season, there should be some kind of asterisk next to that title in the record book to reflect that."

Since then, we have seen just about every champion have an asterisk added to their title by fans, or haters rather, for every conceivable reason. Of course there are no asterisks in the record books for any championship, let alone 1999, but in order to end the discussion once and for all, below follows a proposal to do just that, by making the asterisk for 1999 a proper and fair one. Let's get this done now, as gentlemen, because otherwise, sour grapes is going to be rule of thumb, and whoever wins in 2012, if we have a season, is going to get an asterisk by the haters.

There is one bit of history I can recall where an asterisk was used in the record books. In 1961 MLB, Yankees slugger Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's single season home-run record of 60 by hitting 61. Even though it was a Yankee who did it, the Babe's mark was considered sacred. Maris was actually reviled by some Yankees faithful. If anyone was going to break the Babe's record, teammate Mickey Mantle would have been preferred. So, the people with clout placed an asterisk on Maris's new home run mark into the record books, and it read pretty much thusly:

Most home runs in a season:
61* Roger Maris

*Maris achieved this in a 162 game season. Babe Ruth hit 60 in a 154 game season.

That asterisk stuck in the books for years, and poor Roger never got over it. He was soon dealt to the St Louis Cardinals, and won another ring with them in 1967. He passed away in 1985. The best tribute to Maris came in 1998 when Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire broke Maris's record. The surviving Maris family was on hand, and Mark went over to them after he hit his 62nd and embraced them. It was very touching, 100 times as much as Reggie Miler congratulating Ray Allen for topping his 3 point mark last winter. And that was very gentlemanly indeed.

So, with the above in mind, an asterisk should be placed in the record books as such:

1999* San Antonio Spurs.
*Shortened 50 game season, 74% winning percentage. On pace to win 60 games. Therefore 14 consecutive seasons of at least 50 wins in regular season is recognized, 1998-2011.

How about it Spurs haters, will you agree to this?
Spurs fans, will you drop the counter asterisk talk?

Let's see who the men are around here. Bookmark and link or bump as appropriate.

Hey listen I suspect you're a Laker fan even though you won't just come right out and admit...if not then you closely align with my Laker ideology than you do with others...that being said...I've already laid the foundation for asterisks this upcoming season if there is one.

The reason the Spurs got one for 99 is because 1.) they hadn't won a title previously, 2.) there had never been a lockout before, 3.) teams were not prepared and 4.) players were not staying in shape...

It's all different now...If you've won more than a single title before and you win the chip next season then there's no asterisk. If the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Spurs, or Rockets win next season then there's no asterisk...but if anyone else wins including Dallas then the asterisk remains.

So the Spurs did deserve the 99 asterisk..

Basically at no point in time will any Laker title ever be considered asterisk. My logic and reasoning is fair and undeniable. It makes sense...

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
11-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey listen I suspect you're a Laker fan even though you won't just come right out and admit...if not then you closely align with my Laker ideology than you do with others...that being said...I've already laid the foundation for asterisks this upcoming season if there is one.

The reason the Spurs got one for 99 is because 1.) they hadn't won a title previously, 2.) there had never been a lockout before, 3.) teams were not prepared and 4.) players were not staying in shape...

It's all different now...If you've won more than a single title before and you win the chip next season then there's no asterisk. If the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Spurs, or Rockets win next season then there's no asterisk...but if anyone else wins including Dallas then the asterisk remains.

So the Spurs did deserve the 99 asterisk..

Basically at no point in time will any Laker title ever be considered asterisk. My logic and reasoning is fair and undeniable. It makes sense...
I'm on record for saying I always liked the Lakers. I'll also cheer for any western team in the finals, any American league team in the World Series, and any NFL team in the Superbowl. When "my" team doesn't win, life goes on, and I don't hate on the team that beat "my" team. For now, I like basketball and am pissed as all hell it isn't being played. My only other gripe is the constant tussling going on between fans about players and posters. Every team, player, and most posters have peaks and valleys in their history. Perhaps jealousy motivates the constant ribbing.

Bill_Brasky
11-05-2011, 10:38 AM
The 09 an 10 titles should have asterisks due to them being won via collusion tbh

Giuseppe
11-05-2011, 10:39 AM
The 09 an 10 titles should have asterisks due to them being won via collusion tbh & because they relegated the shit bag behind Kobe 5-4.

tee, hee.

Bill_Brasky
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
tee, hee.

lol suns prediction

Giuseppe
11-05-2011, 10:47 AM
lol suns prediction

Bill_Brasky
11-05-2011, 10:51 AM

The Skunker

Giuseppe
11-05-2011, 10:56 AM
The Skunker!!!

Juggity
11-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Somehow '99 looks...exactly like the other 3 trophies.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-BNqpSzUtI0/SuNpYFj_pzI/AAAAAAAAAF4/-g20LRwcn-Q/s400/Spurs-trophies20090312.jpg

Leetonidas
11-05-2011, 02:38 PM
It's really only Laker fan that tries to assess the asterisk to the 1999 season, no other teams' fanbase really cares, and it's mainly because Timmy and co. shoved Bryant/Daddy in the mud and made them eat white dog crap in the final game in their own building, skunked with a good team, so they all cry :cry :cry :cry Shaq was out of shape, the players weren't ready so it doesn't count :cry :cry :cry

Despite every team playing the same amount of games, the Spurs going on to win 3 more titles and 50+ games for the next 12 straight years, and the Spurs demolishing the league, going 15-2 in the 1999 playoffs AND they are rated one of the top championship teams by ESPN.

Suck on it faggots

DMC
11-05-2011, 04:17 PM
It's really only Laker fan that tries to assess the asterisk to the 1999 season, no other teams' fanbase really cares, and it's mainly because Timmy and co. shoved Bryant/Daddy in the mud and made them eat white dog crap in the final game in their own building, skunked with a good team, so they all cry :cry :cry :cry Shaq was out of shape, the players weren't ready so it doesn't count :cry :cry :cry

Despite every team playing the same amount of games, the Spurs going on to win 3 more titles and 50+ games for the next 12 straight years, and the Spurs demolishing the league, going 15-2 in the 1999 playoffs AND they are rated one of the top championship teams by ESPN.

Suck on it faggots

Then they come here and claim that regular season doesn't matter.

Jodelo
11-05-2011, 04:37 PM
"We" :lol

Ice009
11-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Lakers got swept in '99 and the forum got SHUT DOWN. Stop crying LA fans.

z0sa
11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
We had four titles back in the 50's.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Sean Cagney
11-05-2011, 10:10 PM

Thats the only reason they used that bs and still do! They got swept and Spurs won a title so they used that excuse. Each team had the same time to prepare and 50 games, guess the Spurs had an advantage :lol:lol

LkrFan
11-06-2011, 12:48 AM

Clearly you can't be this dumb. Staples seats way more than 17,505 (GWF capacity). Staples is state of the art. Staples hosts NBA & NHL teams, along with conventions, the Oscars, etc. In other words Staples is a moneymaker for the Lakers. That's why they closed GWF. Not because they lost a playoff series LOL.

SBC should consider hosting real events like Staples does - instead of hosting rodeos. :downspin:

Leetonidas
11-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Clearly you can't be this dumb. Staples seats way more than 17,505 (GWF capacity). Staples is state of the art. Staples hosts NBA & NHL teams, along with conventions, the Oscars, etc. In other words Staples is a moneymaker for the Lakers. That's why they closed GWF. Not because they lost a playoff series LOL.

SBC should consider hosting real events like Staples does - instead of hosting rodeos. :downspin:

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao fucking idiot thinking he actually means the Spurs sweeping Kobe and Shaq in 99 is what caused the Forum to be shut down :

Ice009
11-06-2011, 01:20 AM

You just proved how DUMB YOU ARE.

LkrFan
11-06-2011, 01:29 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao fucking idiot thinking he actually means the Spurs sweeping Kobe and Shaq in 99 is what caused the Forum to be shut down :

I seemed to have struck a nerve with my post. PM me so we can talk about it.

I want to get along with everyone. Because Here, Everything is Better. :downspin:

LkrFan
11-06-2011, 01:29 AM
You just proved how DUMB YOU ARE.

:downspin:

Leetonidas
11-06-2011, 02:16 AM
I seemed to have struck a nerve with my post. PM me so we can talk about it.

I want to get along with everyone. Because Here, Everything is Better. :downspin:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PTiVjoN3phw/TGgqHQR7YZI/AAAAAAAABCE/Rqk1raaCG90/s1600/bicycle_fail_22.jpg