PDA

View Full Version : Sarkozy and Obama Caught On Live Mic Bashing Netanhayu

Koolaid_Man
11-08-2011, 01:34 PM
basically saying Netanyahu is a lying dick. Props to them :toast

"I cannot bear Netanyahu, he's a liar," Sarkozy told Obama, unaware that the microphones in their meeting room had been switched on, enabling reporters in a separate location to listen in to a simultaneous translation.

"You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him even more often than you," Obama replied, according to the French interpreter.

http://news.yahoo.com/sarkozy-told-obama-fed-israeli-pm-092347721.html

RandomGuy
11-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I thought that was hilarious.

Netanyahu is a liar and a scumbag.

Wild Cobra
11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I thought that was hilarious.

Netanyahu is a liar and a scumbag.
So are some of the people here. we have our disagreements, but I don't mean you.

RandomGuy
11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
So are some of the people here. we have our disagreements, but I don't mean you.

I'm not altogether sure Israel is really our friend, or deserves to be our friend either.

I find it rather icky how disproportionate our commitment is to them.

Wild Cobra
11-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm not altogether sure Israel is really our friend, or deserves to be our friend either.

I find it rather icky how disproportionate our commitment is to them.
It seems to me the primary reason the Muslims hate them is because of religion, and are in the Muslim's back yard. The USA has more Jewish people than Israel does. Doesn't it concern you that if they are successful in their plans to annihilate Israel, we will be next?

Where's that risk factor analysis... I forget what you and WH call it.

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2011, 02:20 PM
It seems to me the primary reason the Muslims hate them is because of religion, and are in the Muslim's back yard. The USA has more Jewish people than Israel does. Doesn't it concern you that if they are successful in their plans to annihilate Israel, we will be next?

WC, I think you are conveniently overlooking exactly how the state of Israel was created. There is certainly some justification for Palestinian resentment for Israel and the western countries that collaborated on Israel's creation.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Where's that risk factor analysis... I forget what you and WH call it.This is a very stupid post.

hater
11-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Netanyahu is the Mitt Romney of the Promised Land. I thought everyone knew this.

Wild Cobra
11-08-2011, 02:38 PM
This is a very stupid post.
Why do you think anyone cares? That's the type of thing you normally say. Have anything new to add?

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Why do you think anyone cares? That's the type of thing you normally say. Have anything new to add?Yes, you care because you responded to it. I think it bears repeating. Maybe others agree, maybe not. Most would disagree with your attempt to be a forum cop because of it, I surmise.

Now I imagine you will throw a hissy fit and announce you are putting me on IGNORE (emphasis yours).

LnGrrrR
11-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm just wondering how much money Israel needs before it's self-sufficient.

Wild Cobra
11-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes, you care because you responded to it. I think it bears repeating. Maybe others agree, maybe not. Most would disagree with your attempt to be a forum cop because of it, I surmise.

Now I imagine you will throw a hissy fit and announce you are putting me on IGNORE (emphasis yours).

LOL...

No hissy fit on placing a jerk on IGNORE.

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm just wondering how much money Israel needs before it's self-sufficient.

Putting Israel where it is was like putting a colony on the moon. It won't ever be safe or self sufficient.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 03:07 PM
LOL...

No hissy fit on placing a jerk on IGNORE.It's pretty much the definition of a hissy fit.

Wild Cobra
11-08-2011, 03:10 PM
It's pretty much the definition of a hissy fit.
Is "talk to the hand" a hissy fit?

clambake
11-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Is "talk to the hand" a hissy fit?

a new level of douche.

Wild Cobra
11-08-2011, 03:15 PM
a new level of douche.
h8Fyf4R-nzI

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 06:58 PM
He really sees himself that way behind a keyboard.

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 07:10 PM
What's funny is that this president was viewed as the diplomat. Taking unilateral action and approving breach of state sovereignty in Pakistan, surging troops in Afghanistan and now caught speaking ill of an ally. It's something you expect from Sarkozy, but this guy was supposed to be a welcome change to the past on the foreign policy front right?

Tell me you're not defending this gaffe.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 07:12 PM
What's to defend? He didn't think anyone else was listening.

On it's face, I don't know what was so damnable about what Obama said.

EVAY
11-08-2011, 07:40 PM

This is pretty much my reaction.

I mean, what was he supposed to say to Sarkozy?

I think it's much ado about nothing.

But...having said that, I'm tired of fighting Israel's wars for them.

EVAY
11-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Putting Israel where it is was like putting a colony on the moon. It won't ever be safe or self sufficient.

This is true, even if Israel WEREN'T continually expanding their 'settlements'.

EVAY
11-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I read somewhere that the newest Israeli immigrants are very much hard-liners and hawks, and while the older generation might have been willing to stop building settlements, etc., the immigrants (who are voting for Netanyahu) are insisting on more and more land for Israel.

Please don't ask me for the link...It was about a month ago and I have no clue where.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Israel needs its lebensraum. It must be appeased.

ElNono
11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
"You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him even more often than you,"

^^^ that's bashing?

CuckingFunt
11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I wasn't aware that political leaders were supposed to be holding hands, skipping around with unicorns, and snorting rainbows together like besties.

Drachen
11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
What's funny is that this president was viewed as the diplomat. Taking unilateral action and approving breach of state sovereignty in Pakistan, surging troops in Afghanistan and now caught speaking ill of an ally. It's something you expect from Sarkozy, but this guy was supposed to be a welcome change to the past on the foreign policy front right?

Tell me you're not defending this gaffe.

unilateral action? I am having a bit of a brainfart. When did this happen?

DarrinS
11-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think this hurts Obama with the Jewish vote. Self-loathing liberal Jews probably hate Netanyahu too.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't think this hurts Obama with the Jewish vote. Self-loathing liberal Jews probably hate Netanyahu too.What does the US get in return for the $100 billion we've given them?

DMX7
11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Don't try to Jew us down, WC!

Love,
Texas State Rep. Larry Taylor (GOP)

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Netanhayu is a scumbag liar...been saying that for years. Israel has a right to defend it's territory but not take land that is not theirs. The older Israeli want to leave the Palestinians alone...it's Netanhayu, the scumbag Neo-Cons in his adminstration and settlers coming from every end of the earth who are the problem...

DMX7
11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't think this hurts Obama with the Jewish vote. Self-loathing liberal Jews probably hate Netanyahu too.

But you love Netanyahu, don't you, Darrin?

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 10:21 PM

I don't think it's damnable...it's just sloppy. This guy was supposed to be polished and diplomatic, and this is anything but that.

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
unilateral action? I am having a bit of a brainfart. When did this happen?

He went in to get Osama bin Laden without the consent or knowledge of the Pakistani government. There have been dozens of drone strikes in the state of Pakistand and it's not immediately clear the Pakistani government is aware or has consented to them.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't think it's damnable...it's just sloppy. This guy was supposed to be polished and diplomatic, and this is anything but that.This was a private conversation between two people. I don't understand how you don't understand that.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
He went in to get Osama bin Laden without the consent or knowledge of the Pakistani government. There have been dozens of drone strikes in the state of Pakistand and it's not immediately clear the Pakistani government is aware or has consented to them.Defending the government of Pakistan?

lol

DarrinS
11-08-2011, 10:30 PM
This was a private conversation between two people. I don't understand how you don't understand that.

Not so private after all.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Not so private after all.No shit, genius.

Still waiting for the horrors of this statement to be explained.

LnGrrrR
11-08-2011, 10:40 PM

Leading to the NEXT obvious question... if it won't ever be safe or self-sufficient, how much money is acceptable to try propping them up? And what do we get out of it?

DarrinS
11-08-2011, 10:42 PM
No shit, genius.

Still waiting for the horrors of this statement to be explained.

No horrors, as I've already explained. It was overheard, but probably isn't shocking to anyone.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
No horrors, as I've already explained. It was overheard, but probably isn't shocking to anyone.So what's the big deal?

And what has the US gotten in return for its $100 billion?

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 10:56 PM
This was a private conversation between two people. I don't understand how you don't understand that.

The President of the United States, especially one who is supposedly polished and professional, should not have an expectation of privacy in a public setting with another head of state. Sloppy.

DarrinS
11-08-2011, 10:57 PM
So what's the big deal?

And what has the US gotten in return for its $100 billion?

It's not a big deal. It's par for the course. Your second point is irrelevant to the thread.

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Defending the government of Pakistan?

lol

Distorting my argument in a weak attempt to justify Obama's lack of diplomacy.

lol

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
The President of the United States, especially one who is supposedly polished and professional, should not have an expectation of privacy in a public setting with another head of state. Sloppy.It wasn't a public setting. You should probably actually read the story. Sloppy.

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
It wasn't a public setting. You should probably actually read the story. Sloppy.

Fair enough, but the setting is irrelevant. When two heads of state meet, there should be no expectation of privacy. This president should know better.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Fair enough, but the setting is irrelevant. When two heads of state meet, there should be no expectation of privacy. This president should know better.You just said it was relevant.

Sloppy.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 11:08 PM
I see no huge difference between what Israel does to the Palestinians and what we did with the Cherokees or the Apache. I just find their behavior to be a bit peculiar. Their history is well documented with their run-ins with the Egyptians, various Sumerian and Babylonian despots, and of course Europe. You would hope at one point they would move beyond all that.

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 11:16 PM
You just said it was relevant.

Sloppy.

It was one of several factors that you nitpicked. It's not relevant. In my opinion, the President should only have an expectation of privacy when he's in the Presidential Bedroom with his wife.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 11:23 PM
It was one of several factors that you nitpicked. It's not relevant. In my opinion, the President should only have an expectation of privacy when he's in the Presidential Bedroom with his wife.That is without a doubt the stupidest thing I have read today.

And Wild Cobra posted a lot today.

RandomGuy
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM

It seems to me your ability to fathom the mind of people in the middle east and northern africa is severely limited by your confirmation bias and ignorance.

If they treated the Palestinians with a tad more dignity, they might be a bit less despised.

RandomGuy
11-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Fair enough, but the setting is irrelevant. When two heads of state meet, there should be no expectation of privacy. This president should know better.

That is not how diplomacy, especially top-level diplomacy works.

This slip was the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Shit That Is Said Behind Closed Doors Precisely Because The Leaders of Countries Expect Privacy.

I imagine some of what would be said would be shockingly candid and impolitic, like this exchange.

Not sure I could fault either leader for saying what was on their mind, although if you have a microphone on you, you should be careful. I do see that much in what you are saying.

scott
11-08-2011, 11:37 PM
I see no huge difference between what Israel does to the Palestinians and what we did with the Cherokees or the Apache. I just find their behavior to be a bit peculiar. Their history is well documented with their run-ins with the Egyptians, various Sumerian and Babylonian despots, and of course Europe. You would hope at one point they would move beyond all that.

We Americans have done a fine job forgetting about how we treated Native Americans and erasing it from our history. Please stop bringing it up now.

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
That is without a doubt the stupidest thing I have read today.

And Wild Cobra posted a lot today.

I'm sorry, is that supposed to be a counterpoint?

This isn't the 60's with a wildly popular president and no 24hr news cycle. JFK. Based on our current reality, with which this president should be familiar (gave unimpeded access to camera crews on his presidential campaign), the president should have virtually no expectation of privacy.

He's been in the job three years, he was supposed to be polished and professional, and this is not up to his standards.

I don't get what you don't get.

AFBlue
11-08-2011, 11:47 PM
That is not how diplomacy, especially top-level diplomacy works.

This slip was the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Shit That Is Said Behind Closed Doors Precisely Because The Leaders of Countries Expect Privacy.

I imagine some of what would be said would be shockingly candid and impolitic, like this exchange.

Not sure I could fault either leader for saying what was on their mind, although if you have a microphone on you, you should be careful. I do see that much in what you are saying.

Your reasoned argument is a refreshing change from Chump's snarky, off-point ramblings.

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Your reasoned argument is a refreshing change from Chump's snarky, off-point ramblings.

That's Chumpy's forte.....he rarely has anything new to add to any conversation...

AFBlue
11-09-2011, 12:30 AM
That's Chumpy's forte.....he rarely has anything new to add to any conversation...

I know...been around for a while even if I don't post much. I just think it's important to recognize and appreciate reasoned argument and debate in this forum, which is notorious for baseless rants and personal attacks on the same 5 posters.

Drachen
11-09-2011, 01:49 AM
He went in to get Osama bin Laden without the consent or knowledge of the Pakistani government. There have been dozens of drone strikes in the state of Pakistand and it's not immediately clear the Pakistani government is aware or has consented to them.

Sorry, just went back and read your post. I read unilateral action and the Pakistani deal as two separate items in that list. Ok carry on.

oh, to be fair. He did exactly what he said he was going to do.

AFBlue
11-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Sorry, just went back and read your post. I read unilateral action and the Pakistani deal as two separate items in that list. Ok carry on.

oh, to be fair. He did exactly what he said he was going to do.

Don't get me wrong, I think foreign policy is the only area where Obama has shown real leadership and decisiveness. I still don't think the action, in and of itself, is very diplomatic.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2011, 04:09 AM
Your reasoned argument is a refreshing change from Chump's snarky, off-point ramblings.He said your point was stupid as well, in case you didn't notice -- and my saying your post was the stupidest thing I had seen all day was completely concise and on point. That it made you whine doesn't alter its relevance or brevity.

ChuckD
11-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think foreign policy is the only area where Obama has shown real leadership and decisiveness. I still don't think the action, in and of itself, is very diplomatic.

How could it have been? Every action we ever let the Pakis know about was compromised or leaked.

War is diplomacy by other means.

AFBlue
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
He said your point was stupid as well, in case you didn't notice -- and my saying your post was the stupidest thing I had seen all day was completely concise and on point. That it made you whine doesn't alter its relevance or brevity.

Actually, no he didn't. He thought this type of candid conversation was used regularly and is a part of the diplomatic "toolkit". He then conceded he could see my viewpoint that Presidents should always be wary when mics are in the area. I actually agree that candid conversation is and should be a part of the conversation, but I don't see how these comments fit that description. It was two heads of state talking negatively about one of their allies and I don't think it served any purpose beyond that diplomatically.

As for your opinion that it was the dumbest post you'd read all day...it isn't relevant to the argument. It just means you're too lazy to debate with reasoned argument. Your opinion carries whatever weight your credibility lends it, which for me is absolutely nothing. The other posters can decide for themselves whether to side with reasoned argument or your opinion.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Actually, no he didn't. He thought this type of candid conversation was used regularly and is a part of the diplomatic "toolkit". He then conceded he could see my viewpoint that Presidents should always be wary when mics are in the area. I actually agree that candid conversation is and should be a part of the conversation, but I don't see how these comments fit that description. It was two heads of state talking negatively about one of their allies and I don't think it served any purpose beyond that diplomatically.

As for your opinion that it was the dumbest post you'd read all day...it isn't relevant to the argument. It just means you're too lazy to debate with reasoned argument. Your opinion carries whatever weight your credibility lends it, which for me is absolutely nothing. The other posters can decide for themselves whether to side with reasoned argument or your opinion.Your opinion of my credibility carries whatever weight your credibility lends it, which for me is absolutely nothing.

Candor is the very heart of diplomacy.

Maybe you can tell me what the US has gotten in return for its $100 billion we gave to Israel.

Make it credible.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Its not as if its a big surprise that Israel has strained relations with most of NATO. Their current policy towards the occupation of Palestine destabilizes the region and has fed Iran's legitimacy in the region for 40 years. With the backdrop of Egypt, Tunisia and Libya, they are a big fucking eye sore for what has been a good couple of years for civilization as we know it.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Its not as if its a big surprise that Israel has strained relations with most of NATO. Their current policy towards the occupation of Palestine destabilizes the region and has fed Iran's legitimacy in the region for 40 years. With the backdrop of Egypt, Tunisia and Libya, they are a big fucking eye sore for what has been a good couple of years for civilization as we know it.

YOUR solution?

Nuke Israel?

AFBlue
11-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Your opinion of my credibility carries whatever weight your credibility lends it, which for me is absolutely nothing.

Candor is the very heart of diplomacy.

Maybe you can tell me what the US has gotten in return for its $100 billion we gave to Israel.

Make it credible.

My opinion is based reasoned argument, while yours was limited to "but it was a private conversation." You did nothing to logically refute my argument that essentially nothing is private. RG did refute it logically, so it's nice to see you riding his coattails with you're "candor is the heart of diplomacy" line. As I said in my last response, I agree with RG (and now you), but I don't see how this interaction served a diplomatic purpose.

Finally, I'm not chasing a justification of Israel argument because it would off-topic from my original point that this was a gaffe by the president.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2011, 07:51 AM

Singapore says hi man

i dont get it, why dont these clowns just goto some island or one amemicas shitty states and start a fresh from there??

ChumpDumper
11-10-2011, 01:53 PM
My opinion is based reasoned argument, while yours was limited to "but it was a private conversation." You did nothing to logically refute my argument that essentially nothing is private. RG did refute it logically, so it's nice to see you riding his coattails with you're "candor is the heart of diplomacy" line. As I said in my last response, I agree with RG (and now you), but I don't see how this interaction served a diplomatic purpose.Please, the candor issue is self-evident. That you never considered it says more about you than my not explicitly mentioning it. It's sad that it had to be spelled out for you.

Finally, I'm not chasing a justification of Israel argument because it would off-topic from my original point that this was a gaffe by the president.That's OK. No one can justify it. That's the point.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-10-2011, 02:02 PM
YOUR solution?

Nuke Israel?

Not remotely.

I tell the Israelis that our alliance is contingent on cessation of settlement in the lands obtained during the seven years war.

Quite frankly if they want to make cherry deals to Iranian backed terrorist organizations in an attempt to grant them legitimacy then they can try and exist in the Middle East without our alliance.

They hide behind us and pull their shit. Enough is enough.