PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chronicle: Federal Court Orders Trial on TX Redistricting

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Federal-court-orders-trial-on-Texas-redistricting-2258262.php

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 04:51 PM
My one real dream is to see an end of the legislative district in American politics.

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Why?

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Why?

Because I feel very strongly that the single member district is a poor vehicle for a representative democracy. I feel that it serves to limit the choices and influences we have on our governement. Because I feel just as this decadal abuse just underscores how its used to marginalize people and entrench power.

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
The solution to this problem would be what, in your view?

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
The solution to this problem would be what, in your view?

Make the states multimember districts that are not redrawn every ten years. Have a system similar to Australia's where you can vote for party or individuals.

If I had my way I would get rid of the US senate and have people get the opportunity to vote for either a party or group of individuals for the seats appropriated to each state.

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
A parliamentary system

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 05:42 PM
The interests of localities, to say nothing of the common good, can get a bit lost in party/coalition machinations, don't you think?

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 05:43 PM
A parliamentary system

parliamentary assumes the relationship between the executive and legislative branch. I am fine with the president being elected separately especially witht he backdrop of a proportional representation system.

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 05:43 PM
noted

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
The interests of localities, to say nothing of the common good, can get a bit lost in party/coalition machinations, don't you think?

You think its not already lost?

The way that parties are set up with county seats etc subsumes that anyway. Formalize that if you like.

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
You think its not already lost?I doubt it little, but that doesn't necessarily make any alternative preferable.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 05:53 PM
And towards that end lets be honest: in the face of centralized power of the scope of the national government of a nation of over 300m people local municipalities and county level are going to be marginalized. What the districts end up seeing are earmarks and line adjustments in bills.

Thats the extent of their influence and its hardly towards a greater good. its just trying to grab what you can get away with under peoples noses. I believe that by making the states the election districts then that empowers the states as representative bodies. I think there is much more hope for a true federalism that way then with ever changing partisan drawn districts.

EVAY
11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Fascinating article. Thanks for the find and post, WH.

Also, interesting and articulate discussion between FL and WH. What a treat to find in this forum.

Thanks to both of you.

Fuzzy, I actually like your idea of a mix-and-match parliamentary and direct presidential election combo.

Honestly, I don't think it could get any worse than what we have now.

So what happens now? Does everything go back the way it was for the time being?

Did Greg Abbott just commit political suicide?

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I suppose you like proportional representation of political parties because it might tend to dilute the power of the Rs and Ds, but the influence of fringe/extremist parties can be disproportionate.

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 06:00 PM
And towards that end lets be honest: in the face of centralized power of the scope of the national government of a nation of over 300m people local municipalities and county level are going to be marginalized. What the districts end up seeing are earmarks and line adjustments in bills.

Thats the extent of their influence and its hardly towards a greater good. its just trying to grab what you can get away with under peoples noses. I believe that by making the states the election districts then that empowers the states as representative bodies. I think there is much more hope for a true federalism that way then with ever changing partisan drawn districts.I've gotta go see a man about a horse, but I'll chew on this. Solid take, Fuzzy.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I suppose you like proportional representation of political parties because it might tend to dilute the power of the Rs and Ds, but the influence of fringe/extremist parties can be disproportionate.

The 'thats how the Nazi's came to power' argument. Keep the electoral college as thats what its purpose was int he first place.

Sorry but the current GOP constituency is pretty fringe. The problem is we are stuck with them.

If there is a proportion of the population that wants to be anarchist or communist or whatever then why should they not get their one or two seats? i am talking about true representation and I believe even fuckups like WC deserve a share of representation.

Winehole23
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
wrong thread

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Busy day for the DC federal courts.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-08-2011, 06:19 PM

As opposed to nothing getting done whatsoever? I will take it. They got representation.

I was hoping for something other than just three parties though. Germany has 6 major parties for example. that's what i want.