PDA

View Full Version : Wing-Nut Initatives Completely Rejected

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 10:54 PM
So much for the tea potty....

Republican leaders misread the elections in NJ, OH, and WI and thought the time had come to finally get rid of unions and Social Security and Medicare and all the programs of the New Deal and the Great Society.

The people said, "Wait just one goddamn minute! You won an election - you did not win the right to destroy everything we had fought for in the last 75 years."

Tonight, a message was sent to the arrogant and over-confident Republicans that they had gone too far. Whether or not they get that message is still to be seen. Those Republicans that continue on their ill-advised path of destruction will be chopped liver in the next election.

And that's the way it is, assholes! The people will not be shit upon by a gaggle of corporate whores

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Anti-abortion ‘personhood’ amendment fails in Mississippi

Posted by Aaron Blake at 10:38 PM ET, 11/08/2011

Mississippi would have become the first state to define a fertilized egg as a person, a measure which was aimed at outlawing abortion in the state but, opponents contended, would have led to all kinds of unintended consequences.

In the end, those concerns won out in a strongly anti-abortion state. The amendment trailed 59 percent to 41 percent with more than half of precincts reporting. The Associated Press has said it will fail.

Had the measure passed, many thought it would have lead to a new natiowide dialogue on abortion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/anti-abortion-personhood-amendment-fails-in-mississippi/2011/11/08/gIQASRPd3M_blog.html

DarrinS
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm glad 911 twoofers are not on my side.

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Ohioans voted Tuesday to overturn the state's new law limiting collective bargaining rights for public employees, a victory for organized labor and their Democratic allies in the key electoral battleground.

With 25% of precincts reporting, the "no" votes for Issue 2 -- votes for repealing Senate Bill 5 -- had a 63-37% advantage. The Associated Press called the race at 9:16 pm ET.

The vote marks a setback for Ohio Gov. John Kasich who, along with other newly-elected Republicans this year, sought to limit public sector workers' ability to collectively bargain. A similar effort in Wisconsin spurred a slate of recall elections of Republican state senators, and another potentially coming next year targeting Gov. Scott Walker himself.

A union-financed petition drive put the measure on the Ohio ballot this spring shortly after Kasich enacted the law. The contest over the initiative was perhaps this fall’s most expensive, and closely watched, fight.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-ohio-issue-2-20111108,0,63215.story

DarrinS
11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Copy

Paste

Repeat

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Ohio -- Today voters in Ohio took to the polls in an effort to reclaim their state and give workers back their right to collectively bargain. As corporate money flowed into the buckeye state, citizens took to the streets to get out the vote and vote they did.

In a definitive win,the legislation known as Senate Bill 5 in Ohio sought to affect some 350,000 police, firefighters, teachers, nurses and public sector employees to have a voice with their employers, has been defeated by the hands of the middle class.

Next Up -- Wisconsin

This victory is certain to send shock waves across the country and put all other over-reaching republican governors on notice. On November 15th, Wisconsin will launch a recall petition drive to bring Scott Walker and his lockstep Lt. Gov Rebeca Kleefisch before the court of public opinion to potentially be ousted from office by the citizens of Wisconsin.

Congratulations Ohio!

7 Days until Wisconsin Recalls Walker

http://www.politiscoop.com/us-politics/47-us-politics/561-middle-class-defeats-corporate-cash-labor-wins-in-ohio.html

scott
11-08-2011, 11:14 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/anti-abortion-personhood-amendment-fails-in-mississippi/2011/11/08/gIQASRPd3M_blog.html

Isn't that same bill (basically) up for election today in Texas? I haven't checked yet (and I won't before I post this) but I'd bet it passes.

boutons_deux
11-08-2011, 11:25 PM
sociopathic tea baggers and Repugs take huge boot in the nuts. They deserve much worse.

scott
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Isn't that same bill (basically) up for election today in Texas? I haven't checked yet (and I won't before I post this) but I'd bet it passes.

So, the answer is no... it's not up for election today here in Texas. I was greatly confused. Please continue on.

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
So, the answer is no... it's not up for election today here in Texas. I was greatly confused. Please continue on.

Are you talking about the mandatory sonogram thingy?

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 11:34 PM
MESA, AZ -- In a stunning blow to the Tea Party movement, a huge turnout in Mesa's conservative LD 18 overwhelmingly voted out Arizona's hardline State Senate President Russell Pearce in a historic recall election today.

As the self-proclaimed "Tea Party President," Pearce's national role as the figurehead for punitive immigration measures also turned the recall election into a referendum on the state's notorious SB 1070 "papers, please" immigration law, which Pearce had made the hallmark of his legislative career.

According to the Maricopa County Recorder Elections Department, Republican moderate and SB 1070 opponent Jerry Lewis overcame the Pearce campaign's series of dirty tricks and election war chest to win 53.4% to 45.3%. in a contest that divided the city's influential Mormon Church.

"This is a huge shift," said Randy Parraz, co-founder of the Citizens for a Better Arizona, which organized the recall drive in one of the most conservative districts in the state. "Russell Pearce is not only too extreme, but had remained untouched. This election shows that such extremist behavior will not be rewarded, and will be held accountable."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/breaking-arizona-topples-_b_1083202.html

mrsmaalox
11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Yea I was gonna say, I voted and didn't see anything like that on the ballot. House Bill 15 (the sonogram thingy) was signed into law by Perry in May, was struck down by Federal District judge in August, and goes before the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in January.

scott
11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Are you talking about the mandatory sonogram thingy?

No, I read something earlier today that was talking about the Mississippi bill and I somehow misinterpreted it to think that we were also voting on the same bill (at which point I thought to myself: "I know I don't really pay attention to politics, but why haven't I heard about this?").

I was greatly confused.

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Bexar county results...looks lke the NEISD bond package is passing and BEXARMET may be no more...

North East ISD Bond Election
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 182 OF 182 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
FOR . . . . . . . . . . . . 11,248 52.61 5,760 5,488
AGAINST . . . . . . . . . . . 10,133 47.39 5,333 4,800

Bexar Metropolitan Water District Election
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 120 OF 120 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
FOR . . . . . . . . . . . . 8,974 74.49 4,738 4,236North East ISD Bond Election
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 182 OF 182 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
FOR . . . . . . . . . . . . 11,248 52.61 5,760 5,488
AGAINST . . . . . . . . . . . 10,133 47.39 5,333 4,800

Bexar Metropolitan Water District Election
VOTE FOR 1
(WITH 120 OF 120 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
FOR . . . . . . . . . . . . 8,974 74.49 4,738 4,236
AGAINST . . . . . . . . . . . 3,074 25.51 1,231 1,843

mrsmaalox
11-08-2011, 11:44 PM
No, I read something earlier today that was talking about the Mississippi bill and I somehow misinterpreted it to think that we were also voting on the same bill (at which point I thought to myself: "I know I don't really pay attention to politics, but why haven't I heard about this?").

I was greatly confused.

That happened to me also because it was talked about on the local evening news----it made me stop and think "WTF??" so I figured I'd better check out what was on the ballot and hightail it out there. I was extremely relieved and still made it to the poll at 6:55pm :)

Nbadan
11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Paving the way for 2012

SB-5 in Ohio was defeated 3 to 2.

The "personhood amendment" in Misissippi was defeated 3 to 2.

Maine rejected an attempt to eliminate same-day voter registration.

Democrats swept every contested statewide race in Kentucky, most by large margins.

Democrats retained control of the Iowa State Senate.

Russel Pierce, architect of Arizona's SB1070 "anti-brown-people" bill, has been defeated in a recall election--by another Republican.

In Charlotte, North Carolina, Democrats swept every contested race, including Mayor and all the contested city council spots.

Virginia elected it's first openly gay state senator.

Erie County, New York, including the city of Buffalo, have replaced the Republican county executive and Republican-held county legislature with a Democratic exec and a 6-5 Democratic majority.

AFBlue
11-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Bexar county results...looks lke the NEISD bond package is passing and BEXARMET may be no more...

Happy to see the bond passed. With state and federal cuts to education, this bond was the only hope for continued improvements to infrastructure, transportation and technology for the district.

AFBlue
11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
BTW, I'm also glad to see the pendulum swinging back to the center. Hopefully this tempers the extreme right-wing rhetoric.

Drachen
11-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Happy to see the bond passed. With state and federal cuts to education, this bond was the only hope for continued improvements to infrastructure, transportation and technology for the district.

lets just hope they don't use it to build another ivy league prep school like Johnson.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Paving the way for 2012

SB-5 in Ohio was defeated 3 to 2.

The "personhood amendment" in Misissippi was defeated 3 to 2.

Maine rejected an attempt to eliminate same-day voter registration.

Democrats swept every contested statewide race in Kentucky, most by large margins.

Democrats retained control of the Iowa State Senate.

Russel Pierce, architect of Arizona's SB1070 "anti-brown-people" bill, has been defeated in a recall election--by another Republican.

In Charlotte, North Carolina, Democrats swept every contested race, including Mayor and all the contested city council spots.

Virginia elected it's first openly gay state senator.

Erie County, New York, including the city of Buffalo, have replaced the Republican county executive and Republican-held county legislature with a Democratic exec and a 6-5 Democratic majority.

While your Democratic rah rah is cute and all the last time this happened it was still the same shit. This notion that a shift from red to blue or vice versa indicates serious policy shifts just does not play out.

AFBlue
11-09-2011, 02:46 AM
lets just hope they don't use it to build another ivy league prep school like Johnson.

There may be one more high school in the bond, but I'm pretty sure it's lower level schools and improvements to existing infrastructure. I think a large part of the bond is also technological improvements/refreshments within the district, which is also badly needed.

boutons_deux
11-09-2011, 06:05 AM
"tempers the extreme right-wing rhetoric"

nah, this election will be much nastier, dishonest, slander-drenched than ever.

ChuckD
11-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Lost in the shuffle: TX GOP re-districting bill thrown out of court, and must now go to DoJ for approval, short circuiting the GOP attempted end run around the DoJ. A court in SA will now draw a map for the 2012 elections, since they will never get approval in time.

Oh, and the court of appeals upheld the constitutionality of ObamaCare. Bad day for the GOP, real bad day. :lol

TeyshaBlue
11-09-2011, 11:56 AM
So much for the tea potty....

Republican leaders misread the elections in NJ, OH, and WI and thought the time had come to finally get rid of unions and Social Security and Medicare and all the programs of the New Deal and the Great Society.

The people said, "Wait just one goddamn minute! You won an election - you did not win the right to destroy everything we had fought for in the last 75 years."

Tonight, a message was sent to the arrogant and over-confident Republicans that they had gone too far. Whether or not they get that message is still to be seen. Those Republicans that continue on their ill-advised path of destruction will be chopped liver in the next election.

And that's the way it is, assholes! The people will not be shit upon by a gaggle of corporate whores

lolz
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2267625

boutons_deux
11-09-2011, 12:18 PM
AZ recalled the xenophoic asshole Pearce who wrote SB1070.

Arpaio should be their next takedown.

Nbadan
11-09-2011, 06:32 PM
AZ recalled the xenophoic asshole Pearce who wrote SB1070.

Arpaio should be their next takedown.

...but Joe makes some great headlines....just try not to get caught alone with his guards...

Nbadan
11-09-2011, 06:39 PM
While your Democratic rah rah is cute and all the last time this happened it was still the same shit. This notion that a shift from red to blue or vice versa indicates serious policy shifts just does not play out.

That's what the OWS people are saying. I'm just not for reinventing a perfectly workable system, unless it's the fed....let's start by taking lobby money out of politics and restricting corporate person-hood...

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2011, 07:29 PM
That's what the OWS people are saying. I'm just not for reinventing a perfectly workable system, unless it's the fed....let's start by taking lobby money out of politics and restricting corporate person-hood...

That is what they say and thats why I laugh when you try and co-opt them to your Democratic pompoms

These recalls and referendums addressed those issues in what way again? It certainly strengthened the union lobby and I see no changes in corporate charters. All I see you touting how wonderful it is that your precious democrats won.

Nbadan
11-09-2011, 07:42 PM
That is what they say and thats why I laugh when you try and co-opt them to your Democratic pompoms

These recalls and referendums addressed those issues in what way again? It certainly strengthened the union lobby and I see no changes in corporate charters. All I see you touting how wonderful it is that your precious democrats won.

Democratic pom-poms...whatever....yeah, because the Dems are usually more on the more right track than the GOP...fact is, I can't think of a GOP policy in recent memory that has worked out as promised.....