PDA

View Full Version : The Reason We Have Crappy Presidents and Nominees

scott
11-09-2011, 12:54 PM
It's pretty simple. What qualified person, in their right mind, would even want to be President under the conditions of the political discourse over the last decade?

Winning the Presidency pretty much assures that you're going to start out with a disapproval rating of around 50% as the other party will automatically hate you because you play for the other team. What qualified person would want that?

If you look at the Government like any organization, what qualified person would want to head an organization where the decision makers under him FLAT OUT REFUSE to work together?

Politics in America is no longer about who can get things done for the betterment of our nation; it's about how much blame you can put on the other side to garner support for your re-election. It's a complete joke.

The mentality of "Our number one goal over the next two years is to make sure <Insert Candidate of Choice Here> is out of office" is the single most dangerous mindset we can possibly have of our elected officials. Hey jackasses, the number one goal is supposed to be to accomplish things for the betterment of the country!

The reason I hold on to any hope is the MASSIVE public disapproval with congress. The message is loud and clear: we did not elect you to act like children; we elected you to get shit done. Oddly, the last time our Government really worked together was in the Clinton administration, and the polls show that was the last time America really had confidence in our Government. Coincidence?

coyotes_geek
11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Good post. Politics has devolved to the point where it's all about voting against the other guy. All your guy needs to do to be "qualified" is not be the other guy. It's become completely dysfunctional and IMO that scares off qualified people. Intelligent, capable leaders are going into business leaving politics to the egomaniacs and people who like winning popularity contests. Bottom line, anyone who truly is smart enough to be the president isn't dumb enough to run for the office.

cherylsteele
11-09-2011, 01:30 PM
The other problem is there are probably some people who would make a good president but can't afford to run. They could be the best person for the job, no money, no exposure. They also don't want to run because of all the B.S. that goes on during a campaign, every little thing gets brought up, mainly because of the media coverage and the internet, and the media hark on it way too long instead of focusing on the issues at hand.

DarkReign
11-09-2011, 01:36 PM
While polls may reflect the people's collective disgust with Congress, I disagree on the tenuous nature of Congress being mutually exclusive to everyday citizen's apathy for the "other" party.

While I get the sense that a lot of people are semi-independent, partisans are the loudest, most raucous (two) voice(s) in the room.

It isnt just Congress, its this country and its people's complete disregard for anything that runs even mildly contrary to their beliefs and convictions. There really is no solution.

DarkReign
11-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Hyper-individualism sounds good on paper, but in practice it tends to fracture anything resembling community.

boutons_deux
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
"the number one goal is supposed to be to accomplish things for the betterment of the country!"

long ago, that myth deteriorated into Exec and Congress enriching themselves by enriching UCA and capitalist. This week Abramoff, too stupid not to get caught, explained precisely how he successfully bribed Congresscritters and their staffs.

"any hope is the MASSIVE public disapproval with congress"

hopeless hope. If any candidates even appear (really no hope there, esp in sufficient quantity) with platforms "For The People", they'll be un/defunded by the UCA who will fund the opposition.

He Who Spends, Wins.

ElNono
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Extreme polarization seems to be popular these days. And I really think the reason for it is that both parties have been largely so much of the same, that in order to differentiate, candidates now have to appeal to extreme views to get past the primaries. "Tax the millionaires!", "Welfare queens!".

The funny (or not so funny) thing about this is that in order to actually win the general election they have to end up moving back to the center somehow, since neither side really has enough votes to get you in the WH.

So when you look at the game plan in it's entirety, you've to pretty much be an unprincipled, two-faced liar in order to win the race.

Phenomanul
11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
It's pretty simple. What qualified person, in their right mind, would even want to be President under the conditions of the political discourse over the last decade?

Winning the Presidency pretty much assures that you're going to start out with a disapproval rating of around 50% as the other party will automatically hate you because you play for the other team. What qualified person would want that?

If you look at the Government like any organization, what qualified person would want to head an organization where the decision makers under him FLAT OUT REFUSE to work together?

Politics in America is no longer about who can get things done for the betterment of our nation; it's about how much blame you can put on the other side to garner support for your re-election. It's a complete joke.

The mentality of "Our number one goal over the next two years is to make sure <Insert Candidate of Choice Here> is out of office" is the single most dangerous mindset we can possibly have of our elected officials. Hey jackasses, the number one goal is supposed to be to accomplish things for the betterment of the country!

The reason I hold on to any hope is the MASSIVE public disapproval with congress. The message is loud and clear: we did not elect you to act like children; we elected you to get shit done. Oddly, the last time our Government really worked together was in the Clinton administration, and the polls show that was the last time America really had confidence in our Government. Coincidence?

:tu Good post... that last comment might be partisan-biased... but likely true.

Either way there are way too many dichotic interests in this nation... too many personalities, beliefs and subcultures to push platforms and policies that please all Americans (or American interests)... the task hence, (of getting crap done) these days is simply drudgingly unattenable.

scott
11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
The skeptic in me also wants to believe that the extreme media positions we are seeing are on purpose, as the conflict is good for ratings and thus good for their wallets. There is no money to be made for the cable networks if we had a harmonious, well-functioning government.

Phenomanul
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah... I have little regard for any media these days... no matter their banner... I hold them in high contempt... They know not the meaning of "Integrity of the Press."

101A
11-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Oddly, the last time our Government really worked together was in the Clinton administration, and the polls show that was the last time America really had confidence in our Government. Coincidence?

Country was pretty divided them, as well; there was a window; after the Republicans took Congress, and before the Lewinsky issue that some stuff seemed to be getting done; but to a large degree the government was gridlocked, but with the .com boom - a massively expanding economy made EVERYTHING better. After that bubble burst, we got 9/11; wars, then the housing crisis. In the 80's when I was in College as a poli sci major, Congress approval was in the low 20's - and Dems had controlled it for, what, nearly 40 years at that point.

I kind of like the gridlock, frankly. Most the time when the government does something, it doesn't work as promised, and costs a hell of a lot more than we were told it would.

Also, we haven't had a decent speaker since Newt.

boutons_deux
11-09-2011, 02:58 PM
"Newt."

Gingrich really started the deep, obstructionist, teeth-kicking, nihilistic polarization, while the VRWC went after the Clintons with dirty tricks and witch hunting, with position that non-Repugs are not legitimate and must be eliminated.

Phenomanul
11-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Another thing... the whole politics arena is vastly disillusioning... I have a theory that postulates that following politics too closely ends up reducing our lifespans... (at the very least it makes us irrationally bitter [exhibit A. boutons_deux] hence not worth the hassle)...

scott
11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Country was pretty divided them, as well; there was a window; after the Republicans took Congress, and before the Lewinsky issue that some stuff seemed to be getting done; but to a large degree the government was gridlocked, but with the .com boom - a massively expanding economy made EVERYTHING better. After that bubble burst, we got 9/11; wars, then the housing crisis. In the 80's when I was in College as a poli sci major, Congress approval was in the low 20's - and Dems had controlled it for, what, nearly 40 years at that point.

I kind of like the gridlock, frankly. Most the time when the government does something, it doesn't work as promised, and costs a hell of a lot more than we were told it would.

Also, we haven't had a decent speaker since Newt.

Even during the Lewinski stuff, Clinton's approval ratings and the public opinion of the direction the country was headed was high.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116584/presidential-approval-ratings-bill-clinton.aspx

Take a look at the trends among Congress's approval. Clear upward trend under Clinton, clear downward trend since:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1600/congress-public.aspx

Obviously, the economy was doing well and that eases a lot of worries. But the end of the Clinton year's was one of the "least" divided in recent history, and by comparison seems like we were all holding hands and sniffing rainbows farted out of the asses of unicorns.

scott
11-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Another thing... the whole politics arena is vastly disillusioning... I have a theory that postulates that following politics too closely ends up reducing our lifespans... (at the very least it makes us irrationally bitter [exhibit A. boutons_deux] hence not worth the hassle)...

Agreed. Thats the reason I tend to not pay attention or even worry that much about it. All of my news comes from the Daily Show and Colbert... and I'm only watching for entertainment value.

Spurminator
11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Agreed. Thats the reason I tend to not pay attention or even worry that much about it. All of my news comes from the Daily Show and Colbert... and I'm only watching for entertainment value.

I've thought about even taking those off the DVR... Even with all of the funny, I still end up angry and cynical after a few episodes.

clambake
11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
politics is big business. its a competition.

boutons_deux
11-09-2011, 04:02 PM
"irrationally bitter [exhibit A. boutons_deux]"

politics is not my entire life, or an obsession.

But what is there to be irrationally "sweet" about current politics and the unstoppable decline of America?

None of you have ANY arguments or even steps to fixing the many relentless disasters. least of how to get a govt (Exec and Congrees) that serves The American People rather than just the UCA and capitalists.

cantthinkofanything
11-09-2011, 04:19 PM
"irrationally bitter [exhibit A. boutons_deux]"

politics is not my entire life, or an obsession.

But what is there to be irrationally "sweet" about current politics and the unstoppable decline of America?

None of you have ANY arguments or even steps to fixing the many relentless disasters. least of how to get a govt (Exec and Congrees) that serves The American People rather than just the UCA and capitalists.

Step 1 : Go fuck yourself

boutons_deux
11-09-2011, 05:29 PM
So, you, like everybody else here, has absolutely no idea of how to unfuck America

scott
11-09-2011, 05:35 PM
So, you, like everybody else here, has absolutely no idea of how to unfuck America

I have tons of ideas, but most people are like you and don't listen to reason and I don't bother engaging in illogical, emotional discussions with people who can't communicate like adults.

And yes, I'm talking about you (along with Wild Cobra, Darrin, etc.).

TeyshaBlue
11-09-2011, 05:38 PM
In b4 GFY.:lol

baseline bum
11-09-2011, 05:41 PM
In b4 GFY.:lol

What do you expect? Scott teaches at VRWCU.

boutons_deux
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Scott.

here's an easy one: how do you elect enough politicians to overturn/stop the stop/current crap and make laws, regs, policies to move 99% forward?

Nbadan
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
The skeptic in me also wants to believe that the extreme media positions we are seeing are on purpose, as the conflict is good for ratings and thus good for their wallets. There is no money to be made for the cable networks if we had a harmonious, well-functioning government.

The Cable news effect is crippling network news...there are no reliable news resources in the U.S. anymore....there are reliable reporters here and there, mostly the independent guys though.....for real news, it's sad we have to look at the foreign news sources...

Nbadan
11-09-2011, 07:08 PM

I'm not particularly sure what's not to trust about Obama....the healthcare bill certainly wasn't what progressives wanted but neither was Social Security or Medicade/Medicare when they were started....perhaps my greatest disappointment is not prosecuting the Iraq war criminals...all of them should be in jail...

MannyIsGod
11-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Man, I had a fucking long post with my thoughts on the subject and then the internet decided to eat it.

The short of it : I blame the science of marketing and deep pockets on it more than anything else although our lack of critical thinking as a society is also a huge key. I believe there are plenty of qualified people but none are able to win against professional campaigners.

MannyIsGod
11-09-2011, 07:53 PM

What a fantastically interesting theory. I was just speaking with people today - much smarter than me science people - who have tried to completely disconnect from political news because it seemingly just fosters feelings of frustration and inevitably bitterness.

When you consider that even the worst off of us typically have relatively comfortable lifestyles then its hard to give politics too much attention when it just feels pointless.

I would not be at all surprised to learn that the negative stress related to political information does indeed manifest itself with some negative effects towards general health.

Nbadan
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Politics is not for the weak-minded ...just ask all the stoners in the club...

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2011, 07:54 AM
doesnt help when u have shitty candidates and force to vote either one....