PDA

View Full Version : Great One Season Shows

Wild Cobra
11-10-2011, 07:03 AM
I was watching something that triggered a missed show. It only ran for 13 episodes for one season. It is called Justice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_%28TV_series%29). It was a show portraying lawyers and the cases they brought to trial. What I really thought was unique about the show, is that ofter the verdict, they showed you what really happened. Sometimes the guilty went free, sometimes the guilty were convicted, sometimes the innocent were convicted, and sometimes the innocent went free.

Made for a real interesting show.

Giuseppe
11-10-2011, 09:07 AM
"Appointment with Destiny"

This was a show that was on in the late '60s. It was done really well and in a documentary type film presentation. Each week they'd take an event from history and dramatize it. It was not a star studded showcase. I remember one in particular: the OK Corral shootout. It was quite intense and had a realistic look & tone to it due to the free camera style and "you are there" approach.

cantthinkofanything
11-10-2011, 09:37 AM
My So Called Life

Police Squad

Bender
11-10-2011, 11:12 AM
not sure about Firefly... if it lasted more than one season.

mrsmaalox
11-10-2011, 11:37 AM
I can only handle very lite fantasy/sci-fi, so I really enjoyed The Dresden Files a few years ago. I'd only read 1 of the books and lost interest, but the show moved quickly and didn't get tiresome at all. Plus Paul Blackthorne is soooo hot, my eyes never left the screen ;)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZJM-xuU0ADM/SMxQGIzlduI/AAAAAAAAAMo/KGKBAOioTi0/s320/0,,11738608-NDP,00.jpg

CuckingFunt
11-10-2011, 11:46 AM
not sure about Firefly... if it lasted more than one season.

It did not.

It's on my list with Freaks & Geeks, Wonderfalls (far from great, but better than cancellation), Lucy the Daughter of the Devil, and... something else I can't think of.

Would Kingpin count? Was technically a miniseries that was supposed to be followed by a regular TV series, but that was canceled before its first season.

Also hard not to include Pushing Daisies on this type of list, even though it had a second season.

IronMaxipad
11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Firefly
My So Called Life
Freaks and Geeks
Terriers
Studio 60

ashbeeigh
11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
All my faves - My So Called Life namely- have been said, but I happened to catch an episode of Undeclared a few months back and forgot how amazing it was.

JudynTX
11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Damages on FX

cantthinkofanything
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Damages on FX

oh. I guess I misunderstood the paramters.

I like Breaking Bad.
And the Office.
X Files was good back in the day also.

ChumpDumper
11-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Damages on FXThat's been on for like four seasons. It moved to some Direct TV channel this year.

JudynTX
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
oh. I guess I misunderstood the paramters.

I like Breaking Bad.
And the Office.
X Files was good back in the day also.

That's been on for like four seasons. It moved to some Direct TV channel this year.

I guess I misunderstood too. :lol But yeah, Damages was moved to Direct Tv for Season 3, that's when I stopped watching. fml

Spurminator
11-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Rubicon. It was a little slow at times but it really hit its potential in the last few episodes and I would have liked to see where it was headed.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Definitely Firefly.

Great cast of (then) unknowns...

Bender
11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I was thinking about Sledge Hammer from the 1980s, but I checked and it barely made it to 2 seasons before being cancelled. Being a Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry fan, the spoofs and in-jokes were kind of funny to me...

Probably a british show, but - Fawlty Towers

ChumpDumper
11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I liked the US version of Life on Mars. I wonder if the disappointing ending they had to tack on prematurely is what they had planned all along. Very different from the UK version.

xellos88330
11-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Firefly

/thread

silverblk mystix
11-10-2011, 06:45 PM
The Big C on Showtime...

well...ok...two seasons now but it is one of the best written drama/comedy series.

PM5K
11-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I really liked the show Reunion, but it didn't even make it through its first season.

resistanze
11-10-2011, 07:22 PM
MTV's Downtown.

My favorite animated series ever shown on MTV, it was fitting they cancelled it (along with Clone High and Undergrads) after 1 season.

DMC
11-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Generation Kill

ChuckD
11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I liked the US version of Life on Mars. I wonder if the disappointing ending they had to tack on prematurely is what they had planned all along. Very different from the UK version.

The Unusuals was actually the replacement for Life on Mars. It was funny in a quirky way, and well written. They had set up some interesting story lines like the cop that was convinced he was going to die, and was sloppy and walked right into a shotgun blast...and nothing happened. No one else actually saw it happen, but someone went back afterwards and there were shot pellets in the wall behind where he was standing, minus an area the size and shape of a man, sort of a supernatural twist. Amber Tamblyn was in it as a young female cop. She and her partner were supposed to be doing surveillance for a few nights, but she had a date with this guy, so her partner agreed to cover for her while she and her date ate at the only restaurant around, some fleabag Armenian place.

I was mad when they canceled it after only like 4 episodes, thinking "why even put it on if that's all the chance you're going to give it?". They should have just played re-runs of Life on Mars, and then launched it as a summer series.

Stringer_Bell
11-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Generation Kill

I think it was meant to only be limited, but I agree it was great. Good book too.

Mission Hill is only officially 1 Season, so I'll say that one.

DMC
11-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I think it was meant to only be limited, but I agree it was great. Good book too.

Mission Hill is only officially 1 Season, so I'll say that one.
Yes, it was only 7 episodes and that was the intent as a mini-series, but I really liked it.

Capt Bringdown
11-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Mel Brooks' 1975 "When Things Were Rotten."

FuzzyLumpkins
11-10-2011, 11:58 PM
I liked Kings.

lil_penny
11-11-2011, 12:16 AM
the kill point

ploto
11-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I do not know if anyone will remember MYOB. It was a summer replacement show about 10 years ago, and it only aired 4 shows. I was never sure if it did not do well, or if the problem was Lauren Graham getting picked up for Gilmore Girls.

I also loved The Starter Wife, maybe on USA Network. Technically, it was a mini-series and then a 10-show season.

Jacob1983
11-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Chicago Code
Invasion
Traveler

Bender
11-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Roar - with Heath Ledger, about ancient Ireland & the roman empire started off pretty good. Don't remember if it stayed good during it's only season though.

Wild Cobra
11-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I can only handle very lite fantasy/sci-fi, so I really enjoyed The Dresden Files a few years ago. I'd only read 1 of the books and lost interest, but the show moved quickly and didn't get tiresome at all.
I liked that show too. At least it's available on DVD. I can't get Justice on DVD. Not out yet, and I wonder if it ever will be.

LnGrrrR
11-11-2011, 06:46 PM
I was watching something that triggered a missed show. It only ran for 13 episodes for one season. It is called Justice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_%28TV_series%29). It was a show portraying lawyers and the cases they brought to trial. What I really thought was unique about the show, is that ofter the verdict, they showed you what really happened. Sometimes the guilty went free, sometimes the guilty were convicted, sometimes the innocent were convicted, and sometimes the innocent went free.

Made for a real interesting show.

Sounds interesting. :)