PDA

View Full Version : Question on traffic ticket in San Antonio...

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Haven't had a ticket in 20+ years and got pulled over last night on 35 South coming back from the ranchito in one of those DWI sweeps where they flood an area with cops and pull people over for the slightest infraction to check them out...

Anyway...he said i changed lanes without using a signal, checked my license and insurance, didn't do any DWI stuff other than talk to me, and then went back to his car.

Comes back in a couple of minutes with an electronic box like UPS uses and got me to sign the box, tells me to drive safe, and lets me go. He didn't give me a copy of anything.

I presume I will be getting a ticket in the mail...is that how it works now or was that just a warning?

Wild Cobra
11-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Maybe you just signed on your credit card for his sex toys?

Sorry, I don't know, but why did you sign anything?

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Did you actually look at what you were signing?

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Maybe you just signed on your credit card for his sex toys?

I thought about that after he left...didn't have my reading glasses on and the print was real small. I may have just confessed to being the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
If the cop never gave you anything, pretend you never got it. That's my only advice. It has to be physically served to you before you are obligated to show up in court/take action.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Sorry, I don't know, but why did you sign anything?

Are you kidding? You want me to bow up on the cop over a stupid traffic ticket? The standard line on the old printed tickets USED to be that the signature wasn't an admission of guilt, it was just an agreement to show up in court. Don't sign the ticket, they can just just lock you up till you can see the judge.

The Reckoning
11-10-2011, 09:54 AM
field release citation

probably not though, most likely a warning

cops are usually lenient on people who have a clean record

Wild Cobra
11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Are you kidding? You want me to bow up on the cop over a stupid traffic ticket? The standard line on the old printed tickets USED to be that the signature wasn't an admission of guilt, it was just an agreement to show up in court. Don't sign the ticket, they can just just lock you up till you can see the judge.
It's been a really long since I've had a ticket, but I don't recall having to sign for anything.

I suggest you contact traffic court and find out what you signed. Maybe he wasn't really a cop, and had you just sign over your business.

Where's the carbon paper, where's my copy...

I would not have signed that shit. I hate digital signatures. Once someone has it, and it becomes accepted practice, how can you fight a forged one?

Das Texan
11-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Comes back in a couple of minutes with an electronic box like UPS uses and got me to sign the box, tells me to drive safe, and lets me go. He didn't give me a copy of anything.

Probably just confessed to knowing about Sandusky and not reporting it. Hope you get a good lawyer.

Frenzy
11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Ha just wait for the warrent in the mail. Last i got a ticket was a year ago and never signed anything electronic. Don't they usually give you a slip to give to the judge to have it processed? I would think you got a warning not a ticket.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-10-2011, 10:37 AM
If you got a ticket then the cop is royally stupid for not serving it to you in person. Now you can deny deny deny.

Then again I got even more lucky a year ago. I was at a football game and got an MIC (minor in consumption) and the cop never mailed me a copy of the notice and forgot to process anything.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
All the derelicts that hang out in here and no one has gotten an electronic traffic ticket in San Antonio? :lol

clambake
11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
i was in an accident on a business trip in san antonio about 9 years ago. traffic came to an abrupt stop and an suv behind the truck that was behind me slammed into that truck, which then slammed into me.

police didn't issue any accident report or paperwork of any kind. they said insurance companies would have to contact the police department for correspondence.

the suv people didn't have insurance and tried to sue me and the guy in the pickup. lol

JudynTX
11-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I thought about that after he left...didn't have my reading glasses on and the print was real small. I may have just confessed to being the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

:lol:lol You're screwed!

bus driver
11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
i was in an accident on a business trip in san antonio about 9 years ago. traffic came to an abrupt stop and an suv behind the truck that was behind me slammed into that truck, which then slammed into me.

police didn't issue any accident report or paperwork of any kind. they said insurance companies would have to contact the police department for correspondence.

the suv people didn't have insurance and tried to sue me and the guy in the pickup. lol

were they mexican?

bus driver
11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
:lol:lol You're screwed!

i think he is alright. if they didnt give you anything then i wouldnt worry too much. but it is kind of strange that he didnt tell you what you were signing. they usually have to explain it to you so you understand.

when they have warrant round ups, go out of town to be on the safe side.

clambake
11-10-2011, 12:19 PM
were they mexican?

nope. typical texas white trash.

pawe
11-10-2011, 12:57 PM
All the derelicts that hang out in here and no one has gotten an electronic traffic ticket in San Antonio? :lol

Ask thispego. He's an expert when it comes to getting ticketed.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Damn. looked it up and the fine is $167.10 if I really got a ticket. What a crock of shit.

clambake
11-10-2011, 01:14 PM
that could buy a lot of electricity for your carts.

JoeChalupa
11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago and I too had to sign the box but then the officer printed it out and gave me a copy.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago and I too had to sign the box but then the officer printed it out and gave me a copy.

That's what has me puzzled. He didn't give me anything or tell me to contact municipal court. Did you get anything later in the mail?

Viva Las Espuelas
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Well, everyone has said it here, but you don't know what you signed???? I'm not saying "bow" up to him but damn at least get some clarity. A warning, an actual ticket; you should've gotten a copy right then and there. You had every right to question him if you didn't know what the hell was going on. Remember, you pay his salary.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Well, everyone has said it here, but you don't know what you signed???? I'm not saying "bow" up to him but damn at least get some clarity. A warning, an actual ticket; you should've gotten a copy right then and there. You had every right to question him if you didn't know what the hell was going on. Remember, you pay his salary.

Meh, I just wanted to get it over with. I assumed I could figure it out later.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Good luck with that assuming :toast

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
TBQH I'd had a few beers driving around at the ranch and although I wasn't buzzed and probably wasn't over .08 I didn't feel like pushing my luck. It was very much Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank You Very Much sir. To potentially make matters worse also had a full ice chest in the bed of the truck.

to21
11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Same thing happen to a person I know except it was a Sheriff. He made her sign from a tablet that looked like one of those 'UPS boxes'. However, the damn thing didn't print her out a ticket....it was broke.

So the Sheriff says 'I guess it's your lucky day" and let's her go. She thought she got a warning until she got a failure to appear letter from the county saying if she didn't pay her ticket, a warrant would be issued for her arrest. Turns out all they need is the sig to hold you liable for the ticket. She said they told her it was her word against his that a copy of the ticket was never printed. The damn thing even had a camera and took her picture.

clambake
11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
cowboy drinking and driving.

shocker

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 02:52 PM
cowboy drinking and driving.

shocker

I wasn't drinking while driving.

Are you saying you have never driven home from a bar or a friends house after having a few drinks?

clambake
11-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I wasn't drinking while driving.

Are you saying you have never driven home from a bar or a friends house after having a few drinks?

thats what i'm saying.

z0sa
11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I've been pulled over twice heading that same way. Both times given sobriety tests. Damn fascists.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
thats what i'm saying.

OK. No wonder you are no fun. :p:

clambake
11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
OK. No wonder you are no fun. :p:

i drink like a fish.

JoeChalupa
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
That's what has me puzzled. He didn't give me anything or tell me to contact municipal court. Did you get anything later in the mail?

Only letters from lawyers and defensive driving schools.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Same thing happen to a person I know except it was a Sheriff. He made her sign from a tablet that looked like one of those 'UPS boxes'. However, the damn thing didn't print her out a ticket....it was broke.

So the Sheriff says 'I guess it's your lucky day" and let's her go. She thought she got a warning until she got a failure to appear letter from the county saying if she didn't pay her ticket, a warrant would be issued for her arrest. Turns out all they need is the sig to hold you liable for the ticket. She said they told her it was her word against his that a copy of the ticket was never printed. The damn thing even had a camera and took her picture.

Sonsofbitches!!! Georgetown pulled that crap with me but I paid the damn ticket!!!!! And they sent me the warrant for the FTA 4 years after the fact!!!!! That court clerk got my full wrath for a solid week. They wanted me to go to trial for it but I refused because I didn't want to in the first place and I'd already taken care of it. And it was a damn Texas Trooper that gave me the ticket. And an FYI to everyone, whenever you get a ticket from a trooper and it ends up being a warrant, it shows up as warrants on your record. Cops don't take to that kindly when that pops up when you get pulled over.....

Kyle Orton
11-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Lol cosmiccocksucker

Blake
11-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Haven't had a ticket in 20+ years and got pulled over last night on 35 South coming back from the ranchito in one of those DWI sweeps where they flood an area with cops and pull people over for the slightest infraction to check them out...

Anyway...he said i changed lanes without using a signal, checked my license and insurance, didn't do any DWI stuff other than talk to me, and then went back to his car.

I presume I will be getting a ticket in the mail...is that how it works now or was that just a warning?

https://webapps.sanantonio.gov/ecommerce/CourtCitationPayment/PayTraffic.aspx

you're welcome

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2011, 05:29 PM
https://webapps.sanantonio.gov/ecommerce/CourtCitationPayment/PayTraffic.aspx

you're welcome

Impossible to pay it without a copy of the citation and the citation number.

I finally got someone to look it up in the system and fax me a copy.

Chachachango
11-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I got stopped for speeding once. the officer made me sign the ticket and when i asked him what would happen if i didnt sign it, he said he would have to take me to jail so I was like f that shit and I signed it. He did give me a copy of the ticket though. I later asked a ex cop what the officers do if you neglect to sign a ticket and he said they take you to jail.

xellos88330
11-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Not sure I can help you. I got pulled over in the Castle Hills area and was given a warning, but I never had to sign anything. They just checked my registration and insurance and let me go.

RGMCSE
11-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I got stopped for speeding once. the officer made me sign the ticket and when i asked him what would happen if i didnt sign it, he said he would have to take me to jail so I was like f that shit and I signed it. He did give me a copy of the ticket though. I later asked a ex cop what the officers do if you neglect to sign a ticket and he said they take you to jail.

That's because when you obtain your license you are agreeing to follow the state traffic laws. One of them being that you are obligated to sign your citation. There's tons of info regarding traffic law that's fucked up. Here' one that will mind f you. Police are here to protect and serve the community correct? So we the tax paying citizens in effect hire these officers to protect and serve. One of those services being traffic service. So in effect we are paying the police officer to uphold traffic law and provide citations to "protect". So that "ticket" is not really a ticket, it's a receipt for services rendered. :lmao

2Blonde
11-11-2011, 01:19 AM
CC,
Check out this link. the second entry about tickets not being turned in may raise your blood pressure a bit. I didn't to far into the site so I don't know if it will completely answer your questions, but the site looks promising as a resource. :toast
http://www.trafficticketsa.com/Blog/2011/08/

2Blonde
11-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Oh, sorry... I just saw the post where you said you finally got a copy of the ticket. Tell you what, you just pay the ticket and we'll let your monthly richer association dues slide this month. :toast