PDA

View Full Version : Sportspickle.com: NBA Decides to Just Go Ahead and Start the Lockout Now

spurschick
06-15-2005, 10:04 PM
NBA Decides to Just Go Ahead and Start the Lockout Now
http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2005-0615-nba.html

With ratings for the NBA Finals hovering near record lows, and the outcome of the series seeming to be all but decided, the league announced today it is locking out its players effective immediately.

“The sooner we start the lockout the sooner it will end, so that’s why I’m doing this,” said NBA commissioner David Stern. “And God knows nobody wants to watch this Spurs-Pistons series drag out any longer. Even for NBA basketball it’s awful.”

Stern stated over the weekend that if a new collective bargaining agreement was not in place by June 30th that the league would shut down. But after having to sit through two more Spurs-Pistons games, he decided the lockout would begin right away.

“I only attend the Finals out of obligation,” said Stern. “If it wasn’t in my contract, there’s no way I’d go to these games. God, they suck. Plus, in Detroit, not only do I have to watch this putrid basketball, but I have to worry that I might be killed.”

Stern said he fully acknowledges the host of negatives a lockout brings, but claims the alternative is much worse.

“Lockouts are terrible for the image and marketability of a league,” said Stern. “But in our case, the Finals are actually worse for the image of our league than a lockout would be. It’s that unwatchable. Putting this Spurs-Pistons series on prime time national television actually does more harm for the image of our league throughout the country than a lockout every could. It’s not even close. We see this decision as a preemptive strike. If this series somehow went seven games – God forbid – I honestly think the NBA would have zero fans left. We’d have to fold.”

With the rest of the Finals cancelled and the championship awarded to the Spurs due to their series lead, Stern is hoping he and NBA Players Association head Billy Hunter can meet and hammer out a deal in short order.

“We want to get the new season started right away so we can wipe away everyone’s memories of this travesty as soon as possible,” said Stern. “And another season means a new chance that a team like the Suns – a team that can actually be stomached for extended amounts of viewing time – might win a championship and help pull this crap league out of the gutter.”

If the lockout is not resolved quickly, Stern said he is examining alternative options to get the season started on time.

“I’m hoping there might be a way to negotiate only with certain teams, like the Suns, Mavericks and Bulls, and then I could lockout others – like the Pistons and Spurs,” said Stern. “Actually, I really like that idea. That might be the best option of all.”

Chris
06-15-2005, 10:09 PM
:lol

1Parker1
06-15-2005, 10:39 PM
:lol You always find good articles LilmisSpurfect

Brandon361
06-15-2005, 10:44 PM
lol

spursupporter
06-15-2005, 11:01 PM
laughing out loud

E20
06-15-2005, 11:24 PM
OMG this could be serious. They really have to work on a CBA FAST!!!!!

spurschick
06-16-2005, 08:30 AM
:lol You always find good articles LilmisSpurfect

Thanks... except I'm not LilmisSpurfect. :lol

CosmicCowboy
06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
:lmao

nice

sa_butta
06-16-2005, 09:06 AM
If the lockout starts now and since we are up 2-1
WE WIN!!!!!! Looks like everyone will be kissing our
asterisks again.

CosmicCowboy
06-16-2005, 09:21 AM
If the lockout starts now and since we are up 2-1
WE WIN!!!!!! Looks like everyone will be kissing our
asteriks again.

all hardcore Spurs Fans should know it is spelled asterisk...:lol

sa_butta
06-16-2005, 09:22 AM
all hardcore Spurs Fans should know it is spelled asterisk...:loltypo, besides I think everyone knew what I meant this is not a Spelling Bee.

1Parker1
06-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks... except I'm not LilmisSpurfect. :lol

:lol OMG, so Sorry! I meant Spurschick :)

clubalien
06-16-2005, 12:06 PM
we are up 2-1 so if tyhere was a lock out we would win the series and thus the championship
however that wold be another * championship

MadDog73
06-16-2005, 12:09 PM
we are up 2-1 so if tyhere was a lock out we would win the series and thus the championship
however that wold be another * championship

:wtf clubalien, you thought this was serious? :lmao