PDA

View Full Version : I heard the joke of the day on Dan Patrick's show

gocanes719
06-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Tayshaun Prince was interviewed on the Dan Patrick show this afternoon. One of the questions he was asked was "who is the better defender, you or Bruce Bowen?"

Prince's answer: I am. Then he proceeded to talk in broken english how his wing span makes him better and how he is only in his 3rd season so he will continue to improve.

He also said Dwayne Wade was mauch quicker than Manu and harder to cover eventhough he said both were annoying and tough.

TheIf Of jUStiCE
06-15-2005, 11:02 PM
I guess sucking ass forcefully qualifies as defense. im starting to hate the pistons.

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2005, 11:03 PM
im starting to hate the pistons.

OK

td4mvp21
06-15-2005, 11:05 PM
I have been very surprised by the egotistic nature of the team. I think winning last year's title got to their heads, because they don't give the Spurs ANY respect.

Rasheed says Ginobili has skills, but he's not that great.
Rip Hamilton says he has gotten every shot that he has wanted in this series and that Bowen isn't playing good D on him.
Larry Brown complains that the reasons they lost were because of the refs(he did give the Spurs some credit though)
And now this guy comes along and raves about himself and someone who's not even in the playoffs anymore. This is the BEST thing the Pistons could do because everytime someone talks trash, it motivates the Spurs. Keep on doing it, and they may pay the price.

shyne
06-15-2005, 11:06 PM
prince is full of shit

spursupporter
06-15-2005, 11:07 PM
pistons are the bad guys

LilMissSPURfect
06-15-2005, 11:09 PM
I have been very surprised by the egotistic nature of the team. I think winning last year's title got to their heads, because they don't give the Spurs ANY respect.

Rip Hamilton says he has gotten every shot that he has wanted in this series and that Bowen isn't playing good D on him.
Larry Brown complains that the reasons they lost were because of the refs(he did give the Spurs some credit though)
And now this guy comes along and raves about himself and someone who's not even in the playoffs anymore. This is the BEST thing the Pistons could do because everytime someone talks trash, it motivates the Spurs. Keep on doing it, and they may pay the price.

2 - 1 lead SPEAKS TRUTH.....
3 - 1 LEAd will speak louder
4 - 1 LEAD will SHUT them the F>A<C>K< U>P!!!!!!!!!

maxpower
06-15-2005, 11:10 PM
The proof is in the way the teams conduct themselves in post game.
Spurs have been the epitome of class...giving credit where due without backhanded compliments and myopic views.

but I'm a Spurs fan so what do I know.

TheIf Of jUStiCE
06-15-2005, 11:10 PM

Starting a discussion about respect makes you no better than those whiny ass bitch Pistons. But i do partly agree with you saying the title has got to their head. It's quite obvious they're playing their "no respect" bull shit to try to get under the radar, so to speak. It doesn't work though, no coach in the National Basketball Association would disrespect the defending champs, even if they are the Pistons.

I really do think the Spurs were asked to throw game 3 to extend the series anyways. Pop is a mastermind at mind games and knows this series is in the bag.

FearDaFro
06-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Prince's answer: I am. Then he proceeded to talk in broken english how his wing span makes him better and how he is only in his 3rd season so he will continue to improve.

You imbelished the crap out of that.

Not to mention, I'm sure Bowen would say the same thing about himself. Its competitive nature.

He also said Dwayne Wade was mauch quicker than Manu and harder to cover eventhough he said both were annoying and tough.

another newsflash: Wade IS faster than Manu. Manu might be a better all-around player, but Wade is quicker off the dribble, and he's a better slasher.

Harder to cover? I'll have to defer to Tay on that. Both of them are nearly impossible to guard. However, occasionally Manu will settle for the jumper, while wade drives non-stop.

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2005, 11:12 PM
I think winning last year's title got to their heads,

I will actually agree with this portion of your statement.

This year the Pistons seem to have this feeling in the back of their head that will beat anyone. They didn't take teams seriously in the regular season. The didn't taker some games in the post season seriously. They are a great team, and CAN beat anyone. I don't think that they don't respect anyone...it's just that have a supreme level of confidence in themselves that gives them this large ego. I personally liked it beter when they had a chip on their shoulder and wanted to prove that they were better. This year, at times they don't feel the need to prove it............and to some level, I understand this..I mean they did get a ring.........but still.....

TheIf Of jUStiCE
06-15-2005, 11:13 PM
The proof is in the way the teams conduct themselves in post game.
Spurs have been the epitome of class...giving credit where due without backhanded compliments and myopic views.

but I'm a Spurs fan so what do I know.

Exactly Max. I guess Pistons are down with the whole Mo-Town "lets throw a beer at this athlete and cause bedlam" thing. Fuck it all. They're showing how spineless they are by whining to the refs after not one but two games. Even Piston fans can't change what both of us know, and we both know the Spurs wouldn't stoop down to being flower picking little girls and cry to the refs at press conferences. God, could you imagine Pop doing this? It sickens me to think of such a scenario.

Solid D
06-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Nobody is going to admit they are having a tough time or give up something that shows weakness DURING a series. Please.

JamStone
06-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Do you honestly believe Tayshaun is going to say publicly that Bruce Bowen is a better defender than him? Part of being a professional athlete is confidence. The majority of NBA players feel they are better than they probably are. Erick Dampier thinks he's the second best center in the league after Shaq. I'm sure Bruce Bowen feels that he's a better defender than Tayshaun. And, Tayshaun makes an interesting point about his length, but who's to say which player is better. It's a subjective thing, and really isn't that big of a deal. To me, both Tayshaun and Bruce come after Andrei Kirilenko and Ron Artest in terms of premier perimeter defenders.

Rasheed is not the type of person to go around giving compliments to his opponents too often. He's done it before with Iverson and Kidd, but it's very rare. Rasheed is the ultimate competitor and does not like to give props. I don't think Spurs fans or Manu should look too much into Rasheed saying Manu isn't special. Everyone in the world saw how good Manu is in the first two games.

And, I think Tayshaun is entitled to say that he feels Dwyane Wade is quicker and tougher to guard. He's defended both players. He's just stating his opinion. Apparently, a guy can't speak his mind if it's not praising the Spurs.

I agree that Coach Pop and all of the Spurs players have been very humble in their interviews, and have given credit where due. They have been very classy. And, that's great. What does that have anything to do with what goes on the basketball court? At the end of the day, the Spurs are great, the Pistons are great. And, the Spurs have the series lead in the NBA finals. So, who cares what the players say or don't say??? I think all of it stirs more crap with us fans than it does with the players. Media just wants human interest stories, controversy, and things to report on. Is it really that big of a deal?

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2005, 11:46 PM
I think all of it stirs more crap with us fans than it does with the players. Media just wants human interest stories, controversy, and things to report on.

Very true.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-15-2005, 11:51 PM
So, who cares what the players say or don't say???

Are you fucking serious???? Are you really really serious?

My god youre a fucking tool.

Give me one god damn instance this ENTIRE POSTSEASON when a fucking peice of crap coach has bitched to the media about refs and then not had incredibly favorable results the very next game.

If you are really a true NBA fan, then you can even expand this question to ANY postseason...

The fucking fact is that historically, whenever a coach/players bitches and whines about refs it fucking works every time.

Thats why we care and keep talking about your whiny ass team

JamStone
06-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Are you fucking serious???? Are you really really serious?

My god youre a fucking tool.

Give me one god damn instance this ENTIRE POSTSEASON when a fucking peice of crap coach has bitched to the media about refs and then not had incredibly favorable results the very next game.

If you are really a true NBA fan, then you can even expand this question to ANY postseason...

The fucking fact is that historically, whenever a coach/players bitches and whines about refs it fucking works every time.

Thats why we care and keep talking about your whiny ass team

Cant Be Faded,

Ummmmm, calm down, buddy. If in fact whenever a coach or player whines about the refs, it works every time, how come NOT EVERY NBA playoff coach whines after a loss?

At any rate, I was more specifically talking about THE ACTUAL TOPIC where Tayshaun thought he was a better defender than Bruce in an interview. And, when he said Wade was quicker than Manu. How does Tayshaun Prince saying those things on the Dan Patrick show affect the game??? How does Prince feeling he's a better defender say anything to the officials on how to call the next game?

But, it's whatever ... I really don't see how you could get so riled up about what I posted. Maybe don't forget to take your terrets medication before you come to the messageboard. In no way should my post have incited the apparent anger or type of foul language in your response post.

Sense
06-16-2005, 01:50 AM
when you are quick you are stoppable... <-- Wade..

When you are unpredictable you are unstoppable.... <-- Ginobili

Prince will never be as good as a defender as Bruce....

Why? Because Bruce Bowen gets to stop the scorers...

Kobe,Allen, Carmelo, Marion, RIP,Carter,T-Mac...etc

There's your reason...

JamStone
06-16-2005, 01:55 AM
And, by the way, Cant Be Faded, the Spurs players and coaches seem to not be affected by the way the Pistons whine about officiating, as they have shown in their interviews. Manu basically said he doesn't care if he doesn't get credit or if the Pistons don't think he's that great. Pop and Tim haven't said anything in interviews to illicit a response of anger by the way the Pistons whine. Perhaps as a Spurs fan, you should take a page from the people on the team.

And, by the way, during the game, Coach Pop is known to come down on the referees as hard as any coach in the NBA. In game 3, Tim got a technical foul for yelling at a ref. Robert Horry stood in front of a referee two inches from his face, arms flailing in whining disagreement. Or, do you only see it when a Piston player or coach does it???

It's part of the heat of the battle, amidst intense competition. I think it was wrong for Larry Brown to make the statements he did about the Piston record when a certain referee officiates. But, everyone knows that Larry Brown is positioning for favor by the refs. Phil Jackson did that. Chuck Daly was famous for his rapport with officials.

And, if it's such a big deal for some of you Spurs fans, maybe you should canvass the Spurs management and players to do the same, if you think it's such an advantage for the Pistons. To me, it's hurt the Pistons more than helped. Referees are quicker to call a technical on the Pistons. And, the whining has actually mentally taken the Pistons out of games.

Let's just stick to basketball.

JamStone
06-16-2005, 01:56 AM
Prince will never be as good as a defender as Bruce....

Why? Because Bruce Bowen gets to stop the scorers...

Kobe,Allen, Carmelo, Marion, RIP,Carter,T-Mac...etc

There's your reason...

Huh? Explain please ...

Bruce gets to stop the scorers, but Prince does not?

Sense
06-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Huh? Explain please ...

Bruce gets to stop the scorers, but Prince does not?

Give me a list of the people Prince gets to stop...

BTW Bruce is also on Wade

Btw when I said STOP... I mean STOP

TheTruth
06-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Give me a list of the people Prince gets to stop...

BTW Bruce is also on Wade

Btw when I said STOP... I mean STOP
HUH??????
Prince is a great defensive player, and he was all over Kobe in last years playoffs.

And nobody stops those players from scoring. Bruce just makes it a lot harder. Prince does the same.

Bruce is the better defender right now, but the sky is the limit for Tayshaun.

Sense
06-16-2005, 02:20 AM
HUH??????
Prince is a great defensive player, and he was all over Kobe in last years playoffs.

And nobody stops those players from scoring. Bruce just makes it a lot harder. Prince does the same.

Bruce is the better defender right now, but the sky is the limit for Tayshaun.

If everyone of those scorers gets 25 points, on an embarrasing percentage, and we still win... I consider that a stop.

Bruce is the better defender, Tayshaun is not in the all defensive team... and he should be there, since he's in the top 2 defensive teams in the nba..

He also has 2 parts to his game, something that won't make his defense at Bowen's level.

spur4life
06-16-2005, 02:24 AM
you know, the funny thing about the pistons is that they just don't look like champions. i think i will remember them more for being a very opportunistic team, more than any other other thing. last year, they were very fortunate to have come out of a weak eastern conference only to meet a laker team that was already exhausted from playing the spurs and the timberwolves. if not for the fact that karl marlone was down with injury, the lakers would have deflated the pistons ego. furthermore, they should thank their stars that d-wade went down with the injury in the ECF. so i guess, in order to make up for this defect, they have to be as loud as possible, both in the press (with their whinnings and complaint of lack of respect) ....i don't even find their games interesting, especially with an offense that can go on a dry spell for one-half of a quarter. but then i am sure the spurs will soon, very soon, teach the pistons how to play the "right way" and send them on a fishing trip.....

TheTruth
06-16-2005, 02:44 AM
you know, the funny thing about the pistons is that they just don't look like champions. i think i will remember them more for being a very opportunistic team, more than any other other thing. last year, they were very fortunate to have come out of a weak eastern conference only to meet a laker team that was already exhausted from playing the spurs and the timberwolves. if not for the fact that karl marlone was down with injury, the lakers would have deflated the pistons ego. furthermore, they should thank their stars that d-wade went down with the injury in the ECF. so i guess, in order to make up for this defect, they have to be as loud as possible, both in the press (with their whinnings and complaint of lack of respect) ....i don't even find their games interesting, especially with an offense that can go on a dry spell for one-half of a quarter. but then i am sure the spurs will soon, very soon, teach the pistons how to play the "right way" and send them on a fishing trip.....
You are repeating what everyone said about the Spurs after their titles. I hated it then, and I hate it when you say it about the Pistons. The Pistons won the title straight up.

JamStone
06-16-2005, 02:47 AM
you know, the funny thing about the pistons is that they just don't look like champions. i think i will remember them more for being a very opportunistic team, more than any other other thing. last year, they were very fortunate to have come out of a weak eastern conference only to meet a laker team that was already exhausted from playing the spurs and the timberwolves. if not for the fact that karl marlone was down with injury, the lakers would have deflated the pistons ego.

I don't know how many times I've heard the "Malone was injured" excuse and that if he played, it would have been different. Some people don't know their history. Karl Malone PLAYED in the NBA FINALS. He started the FIRST FOUR games. And, the only game he did not play in was the final, deciding game 5. And, he did not play "injured" until he re-aggravated an injury in game 4. Please ... the "Karl Malone was injured" card is very played out, not to mention inaccurate.

JamStone
06-16-2005, 02:52 AM
If everyone of those scorers gets 25 points, on an embarrasing percentage, and we still win... I consider that a stop.

Bruce is the better defender, Tayshaun is not in the all defensive team... and he should be there, since he's in the top 2 defensive teams in the nba..

He also has 2 parts to his game, something that won't make his defense at Bowen's level.

So, when Rip scores 24 points on a very good percentage (11-23) and Spurs lose in a blowout, what does that say about Bruce Bowen's defense?

The fact is, scorers will find ways to score. And, not even the very best defenders can always stop great offensive players.

Tayshaun was second team all defense.

What exactly do you mean when you say "He also has 2 parts to his game?" When you make a statement like that, shouldn't you explain what you mean?

I would probably agree that Bruce Bowen is a better defender than Tayshaun at this point. But, what is wrong with Tayshaun having the confidence to believe that he is better? No shame in that. Like I said before, Andrei Kirilenko and Ron Artest are better than BOTH Bruce and Tayshaun.

ZStomp
06-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Does it really fucken matter? I could care less if Prince said Steve Nash was a better defender.

SO WHAT?!

Now, if I was a pro ball player like Bowen/Prince and they asked me that question- I wouldn't even answer that question. "Next question please."

manubili
06-16-2005, 08:07 AM
I really do think the Spurs were asked to throw game 3 to extend the series anyways. Pop is a mastermind at mind games and knows this series is in the bag.

I had the same feeling. It makes sense, long series = more money. But, that's possible? I started to feel this way seeing Manu not trying any shots, when in the previous game he was almost perfect in every aspect, free throws, 3, etc. Besides: there were no D, Tim was absent... Pop making strange decissions... It's like to much! If this is true, have this ever happen before?

Detroit was good, and they have a lot of credit.

I'm not saying I'm sure, but I'm suspicious about it.

I'm still waiting to see both teams in their real shape.

Jimcs50
06-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I see nothing wrong with what he said at all.

CosmicCowboy
06-16-2005, 08:29 AM
JamStone...

just a great series of posts...I sincerely hope you hang around after this series is over...despite some of the knee jerk emotional responses you have gotten in here we actually do have a large core of objective posters in here that enjoy good "basketball smart" dialogue from fans of other teams...and a lot of the flamers disappear during the off season...

spur219
06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Prince is really an overrated defender. And he is not better than Bowen.

td4mvp21
06-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Do you honestly believe Tayshaun is going to say publicly that Bruce Bowen is a better defender than him? Part of being a professional athlete is confidence. The majority of NBA players feel they are better than they probably are. Erick Dampier thinks he's the second best center in the league after Shaq. I'm sure Bruce Bowen feels that he's a better defender than Tayshaun. And, Tayshaun makes an interesting point about his length, but who's to say which player is better. It's a subjective thing, and really isn't that big of a deal. To me, both Tayshaun and Bruce come after Andrei Kirilenko and Ron Artest in terms of premier perimeter defenders.

Rasheed is not the type of person to go around giving compliments to his opponents too often. He's done it before with Iverson and Kidd, but it's very rare. Rasheed is the ultimate competitor and does not like to give props. I don't think Spurs fans or Manu should look too much into Rasheed saying Manu isn't special. Everyone in the world saw how good Manu is in the first two games.

And, I think Tayshaun is entitled to say that he feels Dwyane Wade is quicker and tougher to guard. He's defended both players. He's just stating his opinion. Apparently, a guy can't speak his mind if it's not praising the Spurs.

I agree that Coach Pop and all of the Spurs players have been very humble in their interviews, and have given credit where due. They have been very classy. And, that's great. What does that have anything to do with what goes on the basketball court? At the end of the day, the Spurs are great, the Pistons are great. And, the Spurs have the series lead in the NBA finals. So, who cares what the players say or don't say??? I think all of it stirs more crap with us fans than it does with the players. Media just wants human interest stories, controversy, and things to report on. Is it really that big of a deal?

The Dwayne Wade part wasn't bad, I guess, I was just angry about the rest. They still don't give the Spurs any credit for anything. Just read the comments.

SpursWoman
06-16-2005, 08:40 AM
And, by the way, during the game, Coach Pop is known to come down on the referees as hard as any coach in the NBA. In game 3, Tim got a technical foul for yelling at a ref. Robert Horry stood in front of a referee two inches from his face, arms flailing in whining disagreement. Or, do you only see it when a Piston player or coach does it???

Why fuck around with the middle-man? :)

samikeyp
06-16-2005, 08:44 AM

He had me sold when he ran down Reggie in last year's playoffs.

TheTruth
06-16-2005, 08:47 AM
I had the same feeling. It makes sense, long series = more money. But, that's possible? I started to feel this way seeing Manu not trying any shots, when in the previous game he was almost perfect in every aspect, free throws, 3, etc. Besides: there were no D, Tim was absent... Pop making strange decissions... It's like to much! If this is true, have this ever happen before?

Detroit was good, and they have a lot of credit.

I'm not saying I'm sure, but I'm suspicious about it.

I'm still waiting to see both teams in their real shape.
there is NO WAY that the spurs threw the game.

nkdlunch
06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Bowen >>>> Prince defensively. That's a fact. Get over it.

Ginofan
06-16-2005, 09:23 AM

I don't think it's egotistical at all...what Tay said. Bruce was on BDSSP this season and was asked who the better defender was between himself and Artest. Bruce said himself. Was that egotistical? Nope. Why would you want to openly admit that someone is beating you at something that is supposed to be your specialty? Maybe on the inside you feel that way, but it's not really smart to give the opponent the mental edge and let them think they are beating you.

gocanes719
06-16-2005, 09:32 AM
You imbelished the crap out of that.

Not to mention, I'm sure Bowen would say the same thing about himself. Its competitive nature.

another newsflash: Wade IS faster than Manu. Manu might be a better all-around player, but Wade is quicker off the dribble, and he's a better slasher.

Harder to cover? I'll have to defer to Tay on that. Both of them are nearly impossible to guard. However, occasionally Manu will settle for the jumper, while wade drives non-stop.

That is exactly what he said. You say what you want, your a Pisons fan.

Browns_shadow
06-16-2005, 10:01 AM
He had me sold when he ran down Reggie in last year's playoffs.
Prince can be a great defensive player, given a favorable matchup and when he gets it going can dominate. I think the difference is that if Prince gets going offensively his defense drastically improves, where I think for Bruce it starts on the defensive side of the ball.

Spurs are :king

Chris4
06-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Well, what would you like him to say? Why would he say that Bowen is a better defender? All he spoke was the truth. Get over it.

MiNuS
06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
I heard the interview and just imagine Bowen in the same interview.
Bowen is a more polished and intellectual defender.NO,he doesn't have
a longer wingspan but Bowen uses everything(knees,hips,arms,even
flying kicks)in his defense.Hustle.
I am very curious but after the game and 10 minutes later we see Bowen
in a very nice suit and looks ready to sell you something.PROFESSIONAL!
I would expect for Bowen to say that he goes to work and gets paid to defend the other teams best perimeter player and then totally give the credit
to Prince and say he has the most potential. (and then shut the trap up!)

td4mvp21
06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't think it's egotistical at all...what Tay said. Bruce was on BDSSP this season and was asked who the better defender was between himself and Artest. Bruce said himself. Was that egotistical? Nope. Why would you want to openly admit that someone is beating you at something that is supposed to be your specialty? Maybe on the inside you feel that way, but it's not really smart to give the opponent the mental edge and let them think they are beating you.

It's not all that. Just read the comments or look at how they act during the games. You can completely tell winning a championship has gone to their heads. They are a good team, but they think to much of themselves, much like every other team in the NBA. I hate it when the Spurs get cocky. BTW, its just my opinion. Some people may not view this as arrogant, but I do.

SoundTheToll
06-16-2005, 11:09 AM
As a die-hard Stones fan I hate to admit this: Prince is overrated defensively. Sure, he's the best defensive player in the open court. He can help grab boards and contest shots. However, he only really is able to lock down certain players: jump shooters. For example:

Players Prince has locked down
T-Mac
Kobe
Korver
Stephan Jackson
AI

Player who play well against Prince
Artest
RJ
Wade
Ginobili (TBD, so far Manu has him 2-1, but I have confidence Tay can do better)

Tayshaun succeeds against people who prefer the jumpshot over the drive. This is because Tay can get up on them and still has the quickness to keep them in front. However, pure slashers seem to play very well against Tayshaun. Jefferson always lights him up because he's looking to drive everytime. Don't get me wrong: I believe Tay deserves his 2nd team all Defense. But that's it. He isn't the complete lock down player that some (Patrick) make him out to be.

mrpach
06-16-2005, 12:29 PM
prince guarding AI??
i didnt watch those seires but it seems unlikely

PistonsNation
06-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Here Spurs fans I'll give ya want ya want by playing the role of Tayshaun being interviewed

"Actually Dan, I'm glad you brought that up. Bowen is a lock down artist. He's so smooth and clean I'm embarresed you'd ever compare him to me."

"If a guy has an off night while I'm guardig him it's simply coincidence, and I hope people don't read anything more into it. Like our championship last year my defense is a fluke".

Kori Ellis
06-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Here Spurs fans I'll give ya want ya want by playing the role of Tayshaun being interviewed

"Actually Dan, I'm glad you brought that up. Bowen is a lock down artist. He's so smooth and clean I'm embarresed you'd ever compare him to me."

"If a guy has an off night while I'm guardig him it's simply coincidence, and I hope people don't read anything more into it. Like our championship last year my defense is a fluke".

:lol

I was thinking the same thing. A player, especially during the postseason, is not going to say anything in the press negative about himself.

SpursWoman
06-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Anyway, he has the right to be egotistial to a certain degree....his team is in the Finals and he helped a great deal in getting them there.

Tell me a response like that wouldn't have been fucked up. I would have laughed my ass off. :lol