PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry sighting

vanvannen
11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a long while but today I was with my daughter at an ice cream shop in Buenos Aires (I'm Argentine by the way) and saw a bunch of guys there, one of them was Brent Barry. I came to say hi but he was on the phone and one of his buddies said he would talk to him when he hanged up. He then came to my table and talked for a few minutes with me and my daughter (who is 3) and said he came to BA with some friends from Texas to watch the Peal Jam concert (he is friends with a band member who was also at the shop) and had dinner with Manu and Fabri a while he was here.
He said he loved BA and was really nice and classy. He even stood up and wave at me when I left. A really nice guy.

GrandeDavid
11-14-2011, 03:44 PM
That's a great story! Props to Brent. None to Parker.

lefty
11-14-2011, 03:52 PM
An uncanny sighting

Very uncanny

Do you think it was uncanny?

ElNono
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
He was indeed there with Oberto during the concert.... from Fabricio's tweeter

http://i42.tinypic.com/nmnd38.jpg

vanvannen
11-14-2011, 04:15 PM
He had the same Boca Juniors cap today.

He said he loved the La Plata Stadium.

tmtcsc
11-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Brent Barry is nothing but class. Met him once at Target here in town. Super nice guy. It was right before the school year last year and he was getting stuff for his kids. Its a damn shame what happened to him in his personal life but he seemed to be handling it pretty well. As a player, he never really performed like we wanted or he wanted (probably) but off the court he handled himself great in this community and always took the high road.

Behrooz24
11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
And I bet Tony was banging Erin.

baseline bum
11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Brent Barry is nothing but class. Met him once at Target here in town. Super nice guy. It was right before the school year last year and he was getting stuff for his kids. Its a damn shame what happened to him in his personal life but he seemed to be handling it pretty well. As a player, he never really performed like we wanted or he wanted (probably) but off the court he handled himself great in this community and always took the high road.

I thought Barry was a big part of beating Phoenix in 05 and he did a good job filling in for Beno's sorry ass at the backup point against Detroit.

therealtruth
11-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I thought Barry was a big part of beating Phoenix in 05 and he did a good job filling in for Beno's sorry ass at the backup point against Detroit.

Exactly. Plus you could always count him to hit the wide open three of the kickout unlike Bonner. I actually think the Spurs maybe didn't use him as well as they could have. When he left in 2008, they actually had him playing backup point guard against the Lakers and he was pretty good at it. A ballhandler and passer you have to guard out to the three point line opens up the floor spacing.

rmt
11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Gimme Barry any day over Bonner. Thought that Pop was way too hard on him (especially for his defensive mistakes) and way too easy on Bonner and Finley. At least Barry and Finley didn't choke under pressure.

OT: Poor Splitter - leaves Europe to sit on the bench for a whole year and now this.

Ice009
11-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Exactly. Plus you could always count him to hit the wide open three of the kickout unlike Bonner. I actually think the Spurs maybe didn't use him as well as they could have. When he left in 2008, they actually had him playing backup point guard against the Lakers and he was pretty good at it. A ballhandler and passer you have to guard out to the three point line opens up the floor spacing.

Brent made a difference in 2005 against the Suns and also again against the Pistons in the finals.

I also thought he played his heart out in the 2008 series against the Lakers. He was awesome in a couple of those games. I was a little mad that he left and we kept Finley instead, who, I didn't think played as well as Barry did in that series. It's quite possible that the Spurs didn't use him right, and I thought he was great in that role you mentioned. Very dangerous to have him out there at PG on the three point line as a shooter and passer which kept the floor open.

Pop also kept pulling him for his lack of defense, yet the seasons after, left players like Bonner, Finley, Roger Mason Jr. out there in the same situations with their piss poor defense and didn't rip into them anywhere near what he did to Brent. Brent would have been a SUPERIOR option to all of those players if Pop was going to ignore defense. After seeing Bonner and Finley get a pass for stuff Brent got ripped for, makes me feel that he got a bit of a raw deal.

Leetonidas
11-14-2011, 11:03 PM
I miss Brent, he was extremely underrated in his time here.

tmtcsc
11-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Several good points made in here about Brent's play while a Spur. He made some significant contributions as a Spur and helped us win a couple of Rings.

I just thought he would flourish in our system and didn't. Too many 30 + minutes with 3 shot attempts if I recall. He needed to shoot more and be more aggressive when given an opportunity. Ironically, his best stretch of games as a Spur were his last. I thought he played great against the Lakers in the playoffs.

lefty
11-15-2011, 12:25 PM
He had an uncanny ability to make big shots

Also, his BB IQ is uncanny

ChuckD
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM

To be fair to Beno, and I'm no fan at all, what got us past Detroit was the staff finally putting in a plan to deal with Lindsay Hunter's ball hawking defense. Of Manu and Brent, whoever DIDN'T have Hunter on them brought up the ball when Tony was on the bench. I think if they had done that with Beno, he could have provided what Brent did. I think Pop kind of threw him to the wolves as a rookie, and then realized that the ball shouldn't be brought up by the guy Hunter was guarding.

DMC
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
And I bet Tony was banging Erin.
To Erin is human, to forgive, divine.

rmt
11-15-2011, 11:54 PM
To be fair to Beno, and I'm no fan at all, what got us past Detroit was the staff finally putting in a plan to deal with Lindsay Hunter's ball hawking defense. Of Manu and Brent, whoever DIDN'T have Hunter on them brought up the ball when Tony was on the bench. I think if they had done that with Beno, he could have provided what Brent did. I think Pop kind of threw him to the wolves as a rookie, and then realized that the ball shouldn't be brought up by the guy Hunter was guarding.

Since we're on 05 Finals defense, don't you think the series would have been easier for the Spurs had Pop put Bowen on Billups and let TP chase Rip around?

Baseline
11-16-2011, 12:04 AM

Yes, Brent is a classy dude for sure. I always thought Pop misused him, or at least misused him for the first year or so he was a Spur. Then he tried to trade him for the last year.

Anyway TMT, who is the blonde? You could do Brent a serious solid by introducing him to her.

Seventyniner
11-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Since we're on 05 Finals defense, don't you think the series would have been easier for the Spurs had Pop put Bowen on Billups and let TP chase Rip around?

The only game the Spurs lost that they could have won by making a change like that was game 6. Had Pop made that switch by then? I only remember TP guarding Rip on the last shot of game 5 (great D BTW) and Bowen blocking Billups's 3 in game 7.

rmt
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
The only game the Spurs lost that they could have won by making a change like that was game 6. Had Pop made that switch by then? I only remember TP guarding Rip on the last shot of game 5 (great D BTW) and Bowen blocking Billups's 3 in game 7.

Don't think Pop made the switch until the 4th quarter of game 7. Maybe they could have won game 6 or game 7 would have been easier.

tmtcsc
11-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes, Brent is a classy dude for sure. I always thought Pop misused him, or at least misused him for the first year or so he was a Spur. Then he tried to trade him for the last year.

Anyway TMT, who is the blonde? You could do Brent a serious solid by introducing him to her.

Her name is Nicky Whelan. She was the blonde from Hall Pass. Should be illegal to be that hot. She's gained a little weight since those photos but she's still amazing.

greyforest
11-17-2011, 01:32 AM
IiXVIFuQnQM

white men can jump?

Baseline
11-17-2011, 04:08 AM
Her name is Nicky Whelan. She was the blonde from Hall Pass. Should be illegal to be that hot. She's gained a little weight since those photos but she's still amazing.

Thanks, TMT. Yes, precisely. Full-on illegal.

mingus
11-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Brent was clutch, hitting those big shots against the kings and suns on our way to championships. against LA in '08, he was one of the reasons we were in any of those game w/ Manu injured. also and underrated defender with is length.

DMC
11-19-2011, 11:51 AM
IiXVIFuQnQM

white men can jump?
You know that's what his t-shirt said, which is why he didn't remove his jacket.

spurs10
11-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Brent was easily the wittiest basketball player ever. He played a big part for us in 05. Derek Fisher diving on him game 4 in 08 against the Lakers will always stick in my mind. The refs call that obvious foul and we are 2-2 instead the dreaded 3-1. Cool cat that didn't melt under pressure.

01Snake
11-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Saw Timmy out in Boerne tonight at the Dickens on Main event.