PDA

View Full Version : How is your team affected by the lockout?

stretch
11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Do you think it helps or hurts your team?

davethedope
11-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Helps the knicks hopefully, as long as current contracts expire, and we can just skip this season and go straight to signing CP3

stretch
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
In the Mavericks' case, they only have a small window for titles left anyways. It hurts the longevity of that window (which isn't big as is), but MAY possibly help them in a quest to repeat, by allowing the older guys to get plenty of rest, while letting a couple of the younger guys who had injuries/surgeries be able to recover and be better prepared for NBA play as well (Beaubois and Jones). Although you have to wonder if Kidd will have anything, or if he will just retire. Losing him could really hurt, but if they can get anything out of Roddy/Jones, while keeping Butler and Chandler, I think they might have a shot. Also, I believe both Terry and Kidd's contracts will be off the books if this season is completely gone, which could be helpful as well.

Giuseppe
11-14-2011, 05:11 PM
We're saved.

Literally.

Red Hawk #21
11-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I think this lockout hurts a lot of the older players tremendously. Guys like Kidd, Nash, Kobe, Garnett, Duncan, Dirk don't have a year to just throw away. But at least everybody just mentioned here has a championship (Apart from Nash, but he wasn't winning in PHX anyway)

Giuseppe
11-14-2011, 05:21 PM
...and didn't give a good shit about winning one anyway.

baseline bum
11-14-2011, 05:24 PM
It's very bad for the Spurs, since it virtually assures them picking 29 in a stacked draft in a year they desperately need young blood.

davethedope
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh, it basically kills the Spurs. Duncan should retire. Manu will be on his last legs. They will have to trade Parker.

stretch
11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I think it really hurts the Spurs and Celtics, probably more than any other team in the NBA.

Any team with unwanted contracts about to come off the books, it definitely helps.

I think it will help OKC tremendously, being so incredibly young. Sure they don't get as much in-game experience without being able to play, but they gain some natural and personal maturity, which they severely lack.

pass1st
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Just means less time for Bynum to explode his knees again.

stretch
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I especially wonder what will happen with Dwight Howard...

PGDynasty24
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
You do realize that when union decirtifies, all those contracts become voided.

baseline bum
11-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Just because Stern threatens it doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.

slick'81
11-14-2011, 05:38 PM
spurs will again get the #1 pick

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-14-2011, 05:39 PM
That would be best case scenario for the Suns.

God I hope that happens.

DMC
11-14-2011, 05:45 PM
If they decertify, it's going to really take the wind out of any future long term contracts.

Jacob1983
11-14-2011, 05:46 PM
I think the Mavs don't care that much about the lockout because they were just thrilled and happy to win the championship. And I also think they're happy just to get one.

How would the draft work if the entire season is cancelled?

Mel_13
11-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I think the Mavs don't care that much about the lockout because they were just thrilled and happy to win the championship. And I also think they're happy just to get one.

How would the draft work if the entire season is cancelled?

TBD.

Here's how the NHL addressed the issue in 2005:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

Nathan89
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Well if the league goes free market like the mlb I won't be watching the NBA anymore.

If NBA loses a season it would suck for the spurs because draft picks and ageing/retiring of players.

If its just a lost season the biggest winner is CLEVELAND CAVALIERS.

:lmao Cavs just might win a ring before Lebron.

BRHornet45
11-14-2011, 06:48 PM
We should have traded Chris "I only play hard when I feel like it" Paul at the deadline last year or at the end of the season. Now the Hornets, as usual, have made yet another mistake that will fuck them for years to come.

Scrub
11-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Spurs, Suns and Magic will become completely irrelevant for some time after 2012... ain't gonna be pretty for the fans. Boston will also get fucked after 2012 but they will rebuild faster than small market teams. Lakers will thrive again when Kobe retires. New York will build another "superteam" and fail miserably. Oklahoma has a very bright future maybe the brightest. Miami...I don't give a shit. I hope they never win anything. Bulls are set to contend repeatedly after they sign decent SG. Nets, Clippers, Wolves, Kings will become tough teams to beat after 2012...I think that Nets will move to Brooklyn with two superstars. I can see Howard there.

To summarize...Suns&Magic are completely fucked, Spurs are also fucked big time but at least they have competent front office and CIA Pop with his second round pics...

JayTheClown
11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Just because Stern threatens it doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.

This

Nathan89
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
We should have traded Chris "I take shits on Kobe" Paul at the deadline last year or at the end of the season. Now the Hornets, as usual, have made yet another mistake that will fuck them for years to come.

This could have helped Hornets get a great draft pick(by sucking) for two consecutive drafts. Not to mention the return for Cp3 young players and draft picks. Could have been huge for your Hornets.

LnGrrrR
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
If they have a 50 game season, then the Celtics have as good a shot as any since their old legs will be a little fresher come playoffs.

But assuming they cancel the season completely, it's obviously devastating.

JayTheClown
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Ok, I have a question. Lets say the lockout lasts the entire season. What would that mean for the 2012 draft? Will the teams have to pick in the same place as 2011? Or what?

lefty
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
What about the NBA Hornets?

crc21209
11-14-2011, 07:47 PM
If they have a 50 game season, then the Celtics have as good a shot as any since their old legs will be a little fresher come playoffs.

+1. If there's a 50 game season, the veteran/old teams like the Spurs and Celtics have the same chance of winning a title as the younger teams...(Bulls, Heat, OKC, etc.)

baseline bum
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM

If we're talking 50 games starting in February like 1999, their knees will be ground into chalk the same way the 99 Jazz' were. A short season really hurts teams that don't have young superstar players.

Leetonidas
11-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Not really. Playing 5 games a week with some back-to-back-to-backs will be killer on the older teams. Anyway you slice it, the lockout is bad for the older teams. :depressed

DMC
11-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't think teams are affected as much as players are affected. Players like Kobe, Tim, KG, Nash and those guys are missing a vital year near the end of their careers. They won't get those numbers, that money, and any move they were considering is put off another year.

Teams like OKC however might be ok, since they are all young. I don't see anyone seriously leaving for overseas work, but you never know.

LnGrrrR
11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Not really. Playing 5 games a week with some back-to-back-to-backs will be killer on the older teams. Anyway you slice it, the lockout is bad for the older teams. :depressed

I think you're forgetting the Celtics are in the Eastern Conference. They could go 20-30 and still probably make a playoff seed.

tlongII
11-14-2011, 10:57 PM
It definitely helps us more than any other team. More time for Oden to get healthy and less games to wear on Roy's knees.

pass1st
11-14-2011, 11:35 PM
It definitely helps us more than any other team. More time for Oden to get healthy and less games to wear on Roy's knees.

http://www.hoopsglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Greg-Oden-Injury.jpg

Jelloisjigglin
11-14-2011, 11:38 PM

That dude is still alive?

Mel_13
11-14-2011, 11:39 PM
More time for Oden to get healthy

:lol

Hope springs eternal...