PDA

View Full Version : Not sure I have an opinion or care.....

SequSpur
11-15-2011, 12:28 AM
about whether or not there is a season or not or if they ever play again....

i really don't... does anyone else feel this way?

I asked for my money back tonight from the spurs for my season tickets...

It sucks but really does it? I think Lebron, Wade, Bosh and Carmelo kind've ruined for me. The NBA really went down hill the last few years....

Duncan is old, Ginobili and Parker aren't saying much... Bonner is the Spurs representation at the meetings, lmao... I mean WTF? You guys really are going to fight the owners through this shit? Hell, they can just close up shop...

I figured most of the teams were just trying to sell tickets just to make payroll and wait it out until something happens....Shit, don't they get that?

Unbelievable....

So what happens now? I am not sure anymore.

Fabbs
11-15-2011, 12:57 AM
I can take it or leave it.
Some of the same reasons. Ruination of the Spurs by Lord Poppycock. WWE rigged Laker titles.

The Heatles actually got me a bit interested again, along with the hope that perhaps Spurs ownership/management told Pop to knock off his bullshit as the reg season unfolded last year. False hope.

But yes like you i don't need some billionaire owners or millionaire players to complete my entertainment life. It'll never happen but imagine if and when they come back no one watched or went to their dumb assed games for a month.

Giuseppe
11-15-2011, 12:58 AM
WWE rigged Laker titles.

Only pussies & assholes cite rigged titles.

Fabbs
11-15-2011, 01:01 AM
^^ only pussies and assholes find any merit in rigged titles and celebrate them.
You're nothing more then a manipulated Krishna.

baseline bum
11-15-2011, 01:21 AM
I don't like the Spurs anymore cuz they didn't win the title.

gospursgojas
11-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Alot of posters seem to not care. And thats totally fine....but Ill be the first or one of the few to say that this DOES suck for me. I actually liked watching the NBA.

It was a passion for me. It was something that, when at work dredding the 6 hrs I still had to go on my 12 hr day, I would think to myself: "hey at least I get to go home, crack open a cold one and watch some Spurs tonight" Or whatever team was on that night.

I agree that the big 3, melo, Dwight and the younger gen of NBA stars that promoted their name more than the game ruined alot of the NBA lately, but still I enjoyed watching them as some sort of self involved, pompous villain I was hoping would be schooled by the "good guys" of the league like Tim and the spurs.

So as alot of people are here proclaiming that the NBA sucks and it wont be missed, Ill be the first to tell you that my sentiments are actually the opposite and Im bummed out man...

baseline bum
11-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Sucks not seeing NBA basketball. No other league has the talent to compare. The only thing that comes close is watching the national teams from the US, Argentina, and Spain in the Olympics, but that's next summer.

spurs10
11-15-2011, 01:45 AM
How will the owners feel when they have to return all the season ticket owners' cash. Holt definitely showed his ass in all this. 4 billion up in smoke during these hard times is pretty damn obscene.

ElNono
11-15-2011, 02:05 AM
I hate there's no games right now... but, fan's opinion never mattered in all this, so what are we supposed to do?

After noticing neither side really gave two shits, I decided not to spend money on tickets this season. We normally spend about $500-$600 in tickets for two games while the Spurs are in town. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I just don't think they earned it.

spurs10
11-15-2011, 02:28 AM
I hate there's no games right now... but, fan's opinion never mattered in all this, so what are we supposed to do?

After noticing neither side really gave two shits, I decided not to spend money on tickets this season. We normally spend about $500-$600 in tickets for two games while the Spurs are in town. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I just don't think they earned it.
I hear ya. 5 or 6 hundred bucks is a lot to spend for many people. The NBA is in for a rude awakening when fans like myself, and obvious you and yours, are fed up with their bullshit. I applaud anyone that stands up to bully pulpit tactics, but I'll applaud from in front of my television if they ever start playing again.

Halberto
11-15-2011, 02:31 AM
You'll be sad when the NFL season is over.

spurs10
11-15-2011, 02:38 AM
You'll be sad when the NFL season is over.
True....I'm already sad tbh. It's going to be very strange having no basketball.

Jacob1983
11-15-2011, 03:01 AM
The NHL must be happy or maybe sad. It depends on how you look at it. They might be happy because once the Super Bowl is over, hockey will be the only major sport playing. However, a lot of hockey teams share their arenas with NBA teams so that might hurt their buzz in a way. The playoffs might be a different story since they usually go up against the NBA playoffs and the Finals. It will be interesting to see.

ElNono
11-15-2011, 03:17 AM
I hear ya. 5 or 6 hundred bucks is a lot to spend for many people. The NBA is in for a rude awakening when fans like myself, and obvious you and yours, are fed up with their bullshit. I applaud anyone that stands up to bully pulpit tactics, but I'll applaud from in front of my television if they ever start playing again.

tbh, it's getting harder and harder to justify the expense these days, and not just because of the shitty economy, but also because everything that surrounds the event is a fucking rip off (parking, food, etc), plus I have to drive an hour each way in the snow, while I can be chillin' at home, warm, having a beer with a better view from my HDTV.

I've been to the AT&T Center and it's the home team and a different experience. But being on the road, I can definitely do without Sly the fox in New Jersey or that other jackass pet in Philly.

ChumpDumper
11-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Got D-League and college, of which I guess I'll be watching a lot more of this season. Of course both really pale in comparison to a good NBA game.

spurs10
11-15-2011, 03:31 AM
tbh, it's getting harder and harder to justify the expense these days, and not just because of the shitty economy, but also because everything that surrounds the event is a fucking rip off (parking, food, etc), plus I have to drive an hour each way in the snow, while I can be chillin' at home, warm, having a beer with a better view from my HDTV.

I've been to the AT&T Center and it's the home team and a different experience. But being on the road, I can definitely do without Sly the fox in New Jersey or that other jackass pet in Philly.
Have to admit, I've had a hell of a lot of fun in the AT&T Center. I'm probably bullshitting myself in saying I wouldn't want to see Tim and Manu play again in person. The money is an issue, but today kind of settled it I guess for the time being.....

silverblk mystix
11-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Last year I tried to muster the same passion for the Spurs as I used to have, even got the NBA League Pass...

but watching the Pop/Bonner reality show marriage was sickening and ruined most of what should have been a nice Spurs season...
waiting in vain for Pop to get his head out of his ass and play Tiago significant minutes because they would surely need him down the road-only to get more Bonner-sealed the fuckin' deal for me....and only reminded me of the Pop/Finley marriage...

I don't even like this team anymore as long as Pop is in charge....

and if they return and Pop is still in charge....It will be hard to take...
So I am actually relieved there is no season.

Giuseppe
11-15-2011, 05:59 AM
only pussies and assholes

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

ChuckD
11-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Sucks not seeing NBA basketball. No other league has the talent to compare. The only thing that comes close is watching the national teams from the US, Argentina, and Spain in the Olympics, but that's next summer.

I wouldn't count on seeing US NBA players next summer. USA Basketball is an arm. or maybe just a whore of the NBA, and I don't think any of the top players will be too jazzed to promote that product after this lockout shit.

Kori Ellis
11-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I'll admit that I do care. Our kids are very little. Last year, we would all sit around the big screen TV and they'd all chant "Go Spurs Go" at 1, 1 and 2 years old -- not even knowing what they were saying and having no idea what was going on in the game. This year, they could start to understand a little more. My son asks me every time he sees his Spurs ball whether we can watch them on TV.

I don't really care whose "fault" it is that we don't have a season right now, but I do care that we don't have any games to watch. Even though the Mavs won the title, even with my favorite player in the world, Tim Duncan, on the decline, it's still the favorite sport in our household.

For now, we'll teach the little ones about the NFL. :)

spurs10
11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
I'll admit that I do care. Our kids are very little. Last year, we would all sit around the big screen TV and they'd all chant "Go Spurs Go" at 1, 1 and 2 years old -- not even knowing what they were saying and having no idea what was going on in the game. This year, they could start to understand a little more. My son asks me every time he sees his Spurs ball whether we can watch them on TV.

I don't really care whose "fault" it is that we don't have a season right now, but I do care that we don't have any games to watch. Even though the Mavs won the title, even with my favorite player in the world, Tim Duncan, on the decline, it's still the favorite sport in our household.

For now, we'll teach the little ones about the NFL. :)
Well, thank you and husband for supporting the Spurs so much. It's always entertaining following all the crazy takes everyone has on the team here on Spurstalk. All the best to you and your kids! Hopefully the powers that be will come to their senses and end this dogfight sooner than later. Go (fill in NFL team) Go!
:flag:

Solid D
11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I have about 5 books I'm trying to read, so I'm sort of enjoying the break.

I am missing the excitement of the games, no doubt, but it's not a show-stopper for me and no reason for me to mope.

There will be lost fans during and following the NBA lock-out, no question. It happened with MLB and the NHL and to a smaller degree with the NFL, for those old enough to remember the "scab" players and Kevin Sweeney starting at QB for the Cowboys.

After a fire in a forest, there is regeneration. In the meantime, there are lots of great things to enjoy in life.

not even knowing what they were saying and having no idea what was going on in the game.

Kori, it almost sounded like you were describing Sequ's typical gametime condition.

:p:

Spurminator
11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm in full NFL mode right now, and I have a lot of TV shows to watch on weekdays. I may miss it if it's not around in February. But a part of me wants the season to be cancelled so everyone involved will have to live it.

MannyIsGod
11-15-2011, 10:43 AM
I went to my first UNM game last Friday (we won by 50 - go Lobos) and I have to say sitting in the student section of an NCAA game kicked the shit out of going to almost NBA game. The MWC is weaker this year so on one hand the likelyhood of some amazing games against BYU (who's not even in conference anymore) or San Diego St are gone but we should be able to get the conference title and UNLV is still OK. So I'll easily get my basketball fix that way.

I said it earlier this year, and for one more week I have MLS and then I'll have Euro soccer and the NFL. Also, UNM's soccer team just went undefeated (only undefeated team in the nation - Go Lobos) and the NCAA College Cup starts this week.

So I'm sad that I won't get to see Duncan in what might be/have been his last season but I'm also over it. I'll save money on League Pass and I'll likely focus more on a very heavy courseload and a project trying to securing funding.

The NBA was great, but - for me anyway - there is plenty to fill that void. I would like to think that I will fill it permanently and I won't reward those scumbag owners when they come back.

Spurs9
11-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I only care about a season because I like to go to spurs games, not to mention all the people who will be out of a job(non-players) if there is no season.

Calispursfan11
11-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I only care about a season because I like to go to spurs games, not to mention all the people who will be out of a job(non-players) if there is no season.

I am extremely upset. From what I've read, it's a matter of the players getting a better deal previously than they should have ever gotten, and now they are greedy andf refuse to come back to reality. Plus, for the blue collar players with short NBA shelf-lives, rejecting the deal could mean 1/5 of their entire NBA earnings gone. It's a debacle, but worst of all, I think we can kiss the season goodbye. If only the owners and players knew that many of us feel so disgusted with this mess, we have contemplated walking away entirely. This whole thing was poorly executed and how could it have been well executed with so many voices, both informed and uninformed involved...?

GSH
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
How many nights per week did you go to bed kicking yourself for staying up so late, and knowing that you were going to be miserable the next day? At least I'm not going to be sleep deprived as much.

I never went back to baseball, after they pulled the same basic thing. I watch a few innings here and there, and a few playoff games - but that's it. Both sides in this fight have utterly ignored the fact that it's all of us who pay for everything. Even the people who watch at home count, because of television contract money. I miss the games, but I can adapt. Missing a whole season might be enough time to completely break the habit. It worked for baseball.

baseline bum
11-15-2011, 12:33 PM
I went to my first UNM game last Friday (we won by 50 - go Lobos) and I have to say sitting in the student section of an NCAA game kicked the shit out of going to almost NBA game. The MWC is weaker this year so on one hand the likelyhood of some amazing games against BYU (who's not even in conference anymore) or San Diego St are gone but we should be able to get the conference title and UNLV is still OK. So I'll easily get my basketball fix that way.

Yeah, the atmosphere in the student section of a regular season NCAA game destroys even NBA Finals games. I always wondered what CBS did when they'd televise our games on Saturdays we'd all be chanting "ASSHOLE" all day at some player on the other team. :lol

phxspurfan
11-15-2011, 02:49 PM
How many nights per week did you go to bed kicking yourself for staying up so late, and knowing that you were going to be miserable the next day? At least I'm not going to be sleep deprived as much.

I never went back to baseball, after they pulled the same basic thing. I watch a few innings here and there, and a few playoff games - but that's it. Both sides in this fight have utterly ignored the fact that it's all of us who pay for everything. Even the people who watch at home count, because of television contract money. I miss the games, but I can adapt. Missing a whole season might be enough time to completely break the habit. It worked for baseball.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Good luck getting your mojo back, NBA. You've been rigged and corrupt for years, and now it's time for your golden age to end.

bWiw60NusOY

Giuseppe
11-15-2011, 02:54 PM
^Everyone will be back. It's a free product. And everyone knows it.

spurs1990
11-15-2011, 03:08 PM
The bright side: the Spurs had the best record in the league the last year of its existence.

The league needs more Kobes and less Melos. Its not the same product as the 90's.

cantthinkofanything
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I was all prepared to not give a shit. But I'm pretty sure when it gets cold outside, I'm going to miss sitting on the couch, drink in hand, watching bball.

Trill Clinton
11-15-2011, 05:39 PM
It wont hit me until football season is over.

tmtcsc
11-15-2011, 06:50 PM
The way last season ended was depressing. Watching our guys look lost, get out-hustled and throw up desperation shots (after the clock expired) was bad.

I had no hopes of them being any better this year if they came back with essentially the same team. Even the regular season success was tempered because we all knew it would come crashing down in the playoffs if we couldn't get stops.

The only bright spot was seeing Lebron and gang lose the title. Of course that came with the price of seeing the Mavs get a title. But who even remembers that ?

I don't care much for the NBA when San Antonio isn't relevant and that's what this year was going to be. No present and no future. So, no big loss.

Dex
11-15-2011, 07:30 PM
The bright side: the Spurs had the best record in the league the last year of its existence.

The league needs more Kobes and less Melos. Its not the same product as the 90's.

Not to be the buzz kill, but Chicago had a better record last season.

DMC
11-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I love the game, no matter who's playing. Some folks are just more interesting to watch for various reasons, but the game itself is what interests me most.

ALVAREZ6
11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Don't really care, as expected. I'm far too busy to worry about this and in fact could subtract a few more things from my life so I can fully concentrate on what I need to at the moment. The NBA season is way too long IMO, so most regular season games don't have a very intense feel to them. The playoffs is when the games get intense. The part I regret if it is the case that the season is canceled is losing one of the final years of Tim + Manu's playing days.

TE
11-16-2011, 01:45 AM
It sucks. It really sucks. I am into the NFL right now, but the interest saturates to a certain point.

Watching NBA games (Spur games in particular) is what I looked forward to every other night that a game was on.

Now I have don't have anything to look forward to but study and boring shit like that.

Like I said, it really fucking sucks.

Jelloisjigglin
11-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Good luck getting your mojo back, NBA. You've been rigged and corrupt for years, and now it's time for your golden age to end.

bWiw60NusOY

I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty much done with the NBA.

fvkKdXLwt0U

Jacob1983
11-16-2011, 03:11 AM
I'd love to see a period of parity in the NBA. I would not have a problem at all if the NBA goes on a stretch of 4 or 5 years where the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, or Bulls don't go to the Finals. I'd love to see the NBA have a stretch like it did in the mid to late 1970s. It would be awesome to see the look on Stern's face during a Grizzlies - Bobcats Finals. A Grizzlies - Wolves Western Conference Finals and a Bucks - Bobcats Eastern Conference Finals would be awesome too. :lol

silverblk mystix
11-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Hope this backfires on Stern and his heavy-handedness causes the courts to side with the players...until the owners get fed up with him.

An NBA next year or in two years without Stern would be better than the players taking it up the ass this year and placating Stern.

Brazil
11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Not having a season sucks big time for me. I'm not a fan at all of NFL or NHL so it does suck a lot.

I'm still hoping they will find an agreement soon

CubanMustGo
11-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I look at it as a chance to connect to college programs. Instead of dropping a hundred or two on a Spurs game, go take in a UTSA game, or Incarnate Word, maybe even Trinity. If you want to make a REAL difference, take half the scratch you would have dropped at a Spurs game and donate it to your favorite college program.

Oh, Gee!!
11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
I'll miss going to the handful of games I usually attend every season. My daughter already has asked if we're going this year, and she's too young to understand all this b.s. about lock-outs.

spurs1990
11-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Another sour note. Gary Neal would have taken a giant leap this year.

baseline bum
11-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Another sour note. Gary Neal would have taken a giant leap this year.

It evens out by the drop Jefferson would take though.

SequSpur
11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Kori, it almost sounded like you were describing Sequ's typical gametime condition.

:p:

To bad you're not locked out..

20beastie45
11-17-2011, 02:08 AM
College Basketball. In some ways it's more competitive.

I do miss watching Tim Duncan play. But I missed it last year also.

How is the cancellation of games going to effect (not financially ) Manu? Parker? Tim? All the Young guys?

It just seems once the season starts, however they decide to schedule it, will be a bit boring for us. That's just my opinion.

mouse
11-17-2011, 10:59 PM
After the *1998-1999 NBA Season Does it really matter anymore?

u1EL38SKyX8

Jacob1983
11-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Why is it that the 1999 Spurs are the only team in sports history that get an *?
What about the Braves in 1995 or the NJ Devils in 1995? Those weren't full seasons in MLB and the NHL.

Fabbs
11-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Why is it that the 1999 Spurs are the only team in sports history that get an *?
What about the Braves in 1995 or the NJ Devils in 1995? Those weren't full seasons in MLB and the NHL.
The * givers are typically those trying to compensate for their smallness.
They are jealous their team has never won a legit championship.

FromWayDowntown
11-18-2011, 10:19 AM
The * givers are typically those trying to compensate for their smallness.
They are jealous their team has never won a legit championship.

But there's nothing small at all about moaning incessantly that big market teams' titles are all rigged. Nothing.

Fabbs
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
But there's nothing small at all about moaning incessantly that big market teams' titles are all rigged. Nothing.
Another Laker Krishna. :lol :toast

Watch a documentary called "The Corporation".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/