PDA

View Full Version : If Angels get CJ Wilson...

stretch
11-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Do they become the favorites to win the division this coming year? They will have a damn good pitching rotation with Weaver, Haren, Santana, and Wilson...

:depressed

Jose Canseco
11-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Favorites? I'm not sure. Depends what else they do and what the Rangers do. Getting Kendry Morales back will help their offense some but I think they'd still need to add another bat to that line-up other than him. CJ Wilson gives them the lefty starter they need plus their home stadium is much more pitcher friendly so Wilson could do very well there. But should we expect Weaver to have the same type of season as last year? Maybe, but that will be tough to do. Erwin Santana had a really great year too but in his career, he's been up and down. Not sure if you can expect him to continue to pitch at that level. So there's some give and take.

But the potential signing of Wilson does have a pretty significant impact since it would not only improve the Angels but you would imagine hurt the Rangers. I know some people think Wilson didn't show up in the post season, but he did a hell of a lot in the regular season to help put the Rangers in position to make the playoffs. I think the scariest thing for Rangers fans would be that if it happens that it could have a similar impact to Napoli switching uniforms. Just have to wait and see.

Monostradamus
11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Depends on what the Rangers do. Do they go after Prince Fielder? I know Nolan said they probably won't, but maybe CJ leaving changes that.

imo though, if CJ is gone then it becomes a must to convert Feliz to a starter. I never liked him as a closer to begin with, I think keeping him as a closer is a severe underutilization of his skills, plus the role of the closer is an overrated position in baseball anyways.

stretch
11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Mike Adams can handle the closer role just fine, imo.

If Feliz has the stuff, then he should become a starter.

Does Ogando get another run as a starter? He began the season incredibly well. Is it that teams were figuring him out more? Or that his arm was wearing down, from not being used to such a role? If Feliz gets converted to a starter, then the 5th starter likely comes down to Ogando and Feldman. Who should get the nod?

More than anything, I'm incredibly eager to see how Holland will progress for next season. He finished the season well, had a couple up-and-down playoff games, but had the amazing WS game. Hopefully that helps keep his confidence growing.

JamStone
11-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Derek Holland impressed the hell out of me. Granted I don't follow the Rangers. But the few times I saw him, he was throwing his fastball around 90-92 MPH. Then all of a sudden in the playoffs he's reaching back for 96-97 heat. The way he ended the season and that stretch of complete game shutouts have to have the Rangers front office excited about him taking another step forward. He's still young, showed his arm has great durability, and he showed stones in the playoffs.

Axe Murderer
11-15-2011, 05:03 PM
I know some people think Wilson didn't show up in the post season, but he did a hell of a lot in the regular season to help put the Rangers in position to make the playoffs.

Exactly

Wilson had an outstanding regular season so I think this alone would make the Angels the slight favorite but I still think the Rangers will make some moves to offset the fact. We also have to see what Perez can give us next year. If he comes up and pitches even close to his potential, the Rangers are still the favorite.

If he doesn't, and the Rangers do absolutely nothing in the offseason then yes, the Angels would be the slight favorites IMO

Also Feldman is a wildcard. He was injured pretty much all of last season, but had a great postseason. There's a definite possibility that he could replace a large portion of Wilson's productivity if healthy

Monostradamus
11-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Also Feldman is a wildcard. He was injured pretty much all of last season, but had a great postseason.

Goddammit, if only Ron went with Scooter right away in the 10th inning, instead of going with Darren Fucking Oliver. I seriously hate that faggot more than Hitler. I don't care how solid he was in the regular season, the last 2 postseasons he's dicked us over and altogether it's been like 15 years of fucking shit up for the Rangers.

stretch
11-15-2011, 05:44 PM
I just wonder if the Rangers can make a 3rd straight WS run. Or really, I wonder what team is going to step up and find a way to de-throne them. As much as everyone wants to say that they pissed their chances away, I don't see a team that really sticks out as being a squad that is or will be flat out better in the AL. Granted there is a long offseason ahead, but still... I just can't quite see it yet. And for every good move that another team makes, I'm fully confident that JD will make a move for the Rangers to combat that. Although this time around, maybe investing in kevlar full-body armor for the entire team might be the best move, so we don't have half our team missing 2-3 months of the season.

While it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the WS, if simply ONE of the three of Josh, Cruz, and Beltre didn't end up missing their 2 months, the Rangers could have easily had 100 wins. That alone makes me still confident that they should be able to at least get back into the playoffs. Not to mention getting to a game 7 in the WS with their best player clearly playing hurt. You have to wonder how the series would have been with a healthy Josh...

Monostradamus
11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Josh is always going to be injury prone. We just have to live with it. And when his contract is up, don't give him stupid money. If it ends up he leaves, fine. Can't invest big money in someone that brittle.

stretch
11-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Josh is always going to be injury prone. We just have to live with it. And when his contract is up, don't give him stupid money. If it ends up he leaves, fine. Can't invest big money in someone that brittle.

and its annoying because at times its fluky, odd, 99.9% chance of not happening, injuries.

ducks
11-15-2011, 06:01 PM
adams should do well as a closer

JamStone
11-15-2011, 06:02 PM
and its annoying because at times its fluky, odd, 99.9% chance of not happening, injuries.

When you run into the outfield wall at full speed, run to home plate full speed, head first, you increase your chances of getting injured. Maybe not all the time, but I wouldn't put it at a 0.1% chance of happening.

Monostradamus
11-15-2011, 06:03 PM
There's nothing fluky about Josh's injuries IMO. He was always injury prone, and years of smoking crack probably didn't help.

JMarkJohns
11-15-2011, 06:03 PM
A guy from another site who's been pretty in the know on the Angels says this might just be a ploy to drive up the price, and that the Angels have expressed interest in Oswalt and Bedard for a lesser amount of money, since, afterall, we are talking about the 3rd rotation member at best. Could be BS, but he's been right on several other Angels moves.

TheMACHINE
11-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Weaver
Haren
Wilson
Santana
Williams

1. Bourjous CF
2. Trout LF
3. Hunter RF
4. Morales DH
5. Trumbo 1B
6. Kendrick 2B
7. Aybar SS
8. Callaspo (or upgrade) 3B
9. ANYONE BUT MATHIS C

I like!!! :D

Axe Murderer
11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
years of smoking crack probably didn't help.

I've always said this but the bible bangers here have always said ":cry don't you dare mention Joshy-poo and drugs in the same sentence!!!! Jesus healed him and it's all behind him!!!!:cry:cry:cry"

When you do that much coke for so long it physically makes you more brittle and slows your healing time. That's why he always takes forever to come back from injury

ducks
11-15-2011, 07:31 PM
A guy from another site who's been pretty in the know on the Angels says this might just be a ploy to drive up the price, and that the Angels have expressed interest in Oswalt and Bedard for a lesser amount of money, since, afterall, we are talking about the 3rd rotation member at best. Could be BS, but he's been right on several other Angels moves.

their new gm is former diamond employer with low payroll
so he would go cheaper
bedard is the person they need
wilson is going to be overpaid big time by someone

Monostradamus
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
their new gm is former diamond employer with low payroll
so he would go cheaper
bedard is the person they need
wilson is going to be overpaid big time by someone

But Texas should have an easier time keeping Wilson because they have his Bird rights.

Kyle Orton
11-15-2011, 09:35 PM
:lol bird rights

DJ Mbenga
11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
dont worry. once he hits the playoffs he will screw the angels. if that happens im sure buhrle will replace him. kuroda wont pitch in a place not called los angeles or japan. slim pickings

JamStone
11-16-2011, 09:39 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/136927572322824192

Cj wilson seeks 6 years for close to $120M. Good luck with that.

Lol at any team that offers anywhere close to that.

DJ Mbenga
11-17-2011, 03:28 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/status/136927572322824192 (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_JonHeyman/status/136927572322824192)

Lol at any team that offers anywhere close to that.

well the nationals are out there.

weebo
11-17-2011, 05:53 PM
After that major choke job they put on in the WS, the Rangers, no mattter who they get will never win jack.

Kyle Orton
11-17-2011, 10:58 PM
After that major choke job they put on in the 2006 and 2007 NBA playoffs,the Mavericks, no mattter who they get will never win jack.

hi gnsf

weebo
11-17-2011, 11:26 PM
hi gnsf

Hey there shitneck

Axe Murderer
11-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Hey there shitneck

are you single?

tbh im looking

Kyle Orton
11-18-2011, 02:02 AM
i love getting plowed by black men

oh...so youre a faggot?

TheMACHINE
11-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Wilson wants 100M from the ANgels....not sure how many years though.

Spursfan092120
11-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Wilson wants 100M from the ANgels....not sure how many years though.

Prolly 6...WAY too much for Collin Farrell.

TheMACHINE
11-29-2011, 07:23 PM
He is considering that a hometown discount
Lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-30-2011, 07:14 AM
I've always said this but the bible bangers here have always said ":cry don't you dare mention Joshy-poo and drugs in the same sentence!!!! Jesus healed him and it's all behind him!!!!:cry:cry:cry"

When you do that much coke for so long it physically makes you more brittle and slows your healing time. That's why he always takes forever to come back from injury
:lmao

TheMACHINE
11-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Bye Bye Jeff Mathis, Hello Ianetta!

stretch
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
reports have it that CJ's agent met with Jon Daniels for dinner last night, and came away suprisingly pleased with the offer they got from the meeting.

TheMACHINE
12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Mark Buehrle just signed with the Marlins.

Looks like its down to Angels and Rangers now....

Mel_13
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Told C.J. Wilson to #Angels is "very close" to being finalized.

http://twitter.com/BOBKLAP

LakerHater
12-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Sources say C.J. Wilson is heading back to Southern California.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2010/09/16/091610-Exclusive-Analysis-Jon-Paul-Morosi-JW_20100916190615_0_0.JPG

Prized free-agent lefty C.J. Wilson is expected to sign with the Los Angeles Angels, according to major league sources.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Angels going after pujols....offered 210m10yrs

JamStone
12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
mlbcontracts.blogspot has CJ Wilson signing with the Angels at 5 years, $75 million.

Considering he was looking for $100+ million, seems like he came down quite a bit in the wake of the Pujols signing.

TheMACHINE
12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
wooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFBlue
12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Game-changer. Texas will probably amp up their pursuit of Darvish and/or look to trades...Shields, Gio, Wandy, etc.