PDA

View Full Version : Verlander wins CY....

lefty
11-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Well deserved :wakeup

JamStone
11-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Congrats, JV! It was an amazing season and really fun to watch him all year.

Rip-Hamilton32
11-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Michael Young got some first place votes :lol

Spursfan092120
11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
If he didn't win it this year, a pitcher would NEVER have won it again.

resistanze
11-21-2011, 09:18 PM
If he didn't win it this year, a pitcher would NEVER have won it again.

Could've said the same about Pedro in 1999, tbh

JamStone
11-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Congratulations to JV. I understand the controversy and debate involved with a pitcher winning the MVP. And I won't say JV deserved it more than Ellsbury or Bautista or even Cabrera. But I do think he was a worthy choice. I think his win total helped, whether it should or not. I think winning the triple crown helped, whether it should or not. But perhaps one of the bigger factors is that the Tigers went to the playoffs and the Red Sox and Blue Jays didn't. I think there was an argument last season for Miguel Cabrera to be the MVP over Josh Hamilton, but the Rangers got to the post season and the Tigers didn't, and I felt that was a deciding factor last year as well. If the Red Sox made it to the playoffs, I think Ellsbury ends up winning it.

But I'm not going to apologize for being happy for Verlander. It's nice to see players on the team you root for get recognized and honored. Awesome year, Justin.

Spursfan092120
11-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Could've said the same about Pedro in 1999, tbh

True

ChuckD
11-22-2011, 11:14 PM
I think the argument that pitchers already have their own award and shouldn't get the MVP is bullshit, and I'm glad to see it blown out of the water, and that douchebag who totally left him off the ballot hung out to dry.

Every position player is eligible for two awards, the gold glove and silver slugger at their position, so let's exclude them all from the MVP vote and only allow pitchers, who only have one award, to win.

JamStone
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
MLB also has the Hank Aaron award going on a deacde now I believe, honoring the best offensive player in each league. Could argue that's the equivalent to the CY for hitters.