PDA

View Full Version : when will the officiating crew for game 4 be announced?

violentkitten
06-16-2005, 12:24 AM
?

Kori Ellis
06-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Probably a couple hours before game time.

violentkitten
06-16-2005, 12:32 AM
thanks. violentkitten hopes that knick bavetta is nowhere near auburn hills, michigan.

http://www.bbsr.de/images/nba/dick_bavetta.jpg http://www.collegefootballnews.com/photos/MrBurns.gif

http://www.bbsr.de/images/nba/dick_bavetta_gross.jpg http://inicia.es/de/estrellaee/srburns.jpg

LG lives on
06-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Dick Bevetta = Spurs Hater
Dan Crawford = Spurs Lover

:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-16-2005, 12:36 AM
Unfortunately vk we got Salvatore in game 3, and I'd be shocked if we don't have Knick Bavetta in game 4.

shyne
06-16-2005, 12:45 AM
i bet its Javie

Kori Ellis
06-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Spurs fans shouldn't care about the refs. Apparently Pop doesn't.

Buck Harvey: Garbage day? Popovich's strategy
Web Posted: 06/16/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Gregg Popovich sits in his office before a game, and a member of the stat crew comes in with a small piece of paper. On it are the names of the referees who will be working that night.

Popovich says thanks. The messenger leaves. And Popovich crumples up the paper and aims at a garbage can without even looking at the names.

This is Popovich, sanitation executive. He argues with refs, and he even sometimes goes Serbian on them, to use his players' description. But he rarely talks about officials after games, and he didn't Wednesday, choosing to ignore them as if their existence could be eliminated with that day's trash.

Why?

For Tim Duncan, as much as anyone.

Popovich and the Spurs didn't say a word about Game 3's calls and non-calls, and for good reason. The refs didn't have anything to do with the Pistons beating them badly.

The Spurs aren't above grumbling, and they did in the 1999 Finals. Then, up 2-0, they lost a similar Game 3 to the Knicks, and a few within the franchise wondered the worst. Coming off the lockout, did the league mandate an extension of the Finals?

But Popovich wasn't the one saying it, and the others said it privately. Even at their most conspiratorial, the Spurs have kept their nuttiness to themselves. That's in direct contrast to George Karl, who suggested in the first round that Manu Ginobili had ruined basketball as we know it.

Seattle's Ray Allen followed with his harangue on Bruce Bowen, applying Karl's strategy. If they talked enough, maybe they could put a few ideas in the minds of the refs.

Karl has admitted as much since. He said he really didn't mean what he said about Ginobili. It was "gamesmanship," Karl said.

Larry Brown said a few things in the Eastern Conference finals, too, and he got to Stan Van Gundy. After the Pistons eliminated the Heat, the Miami coach said he wouldn't watch "even a second" of the Finals.

Why? "I know Detroit will cry on every call the entire series."

Brown and Van Gundy barely shook hands after Game 7, and Brown and Popovich will not react the same way. They've been friends for too long and, besides, Popovich knows where Brown is coming from.

When Larry complains, he's just being Larry. What doesn't he find fault with? Brown has always wanted everything about the game to be perfect, including the refs.

Brown did more, though, after the Spurs won Game 2. Then he noted how the Pistons had a certain record with a certain ref, and it wasn't hard to figure out the possibilities.

David Stern should like this as much as he liked the other Van Gundy's officiating moment this spring. How much more malice could there be in the Palace if this information is spread, and the referees in question show up either tonight or Sunday?

Then there's the twist to this story, as told by a Detroit newspaper: The Pistons were called for 2.6 fewer fouls than their opponents this season, and that was the league's biggest disparity. Despite that edge, the Pistons also led the league in technical fouls.

The Spurs — throwing away pieces of paper instead of throwing tantrums — tied for the fewest technicals.

But Duncan showed Tuesday how close he gets to the edge. In the second quarter, after being contested on a miss and following with his second foul on the other end of the floor, Duncan drew a tech.

"I'm so used to our guys getting technicals," Detroit guard Lindsey Hunter said, "I thought it was one of us."

Duncan won't go 'Sheed. But he can react badly, and it can affect how he plays. The worst he's ever been since he became a Spur was last summer, in Athens, when international refs bothered him more than Ben Wallace ever could.

Popovich was an assistant then. But framing the experience, talking about the refs to anyone who would listen, was Brown.

Popovich tries to frame the opposite. He doesn't want Duncan — or any Spur — to use officiating as an excuse. He wants Duncan to control what he can control, and he wants Duncan to say what he said Wednesday.

"I just need to be stronger with the ball," he said. "I thought I was lackadaisical with the ball, I got it knocked away a couple of times, I telegraphed a lot of my moves and just made bad moves."

Which refs caused Duncan to play this way?

The names went out with yesterday's garbage.

LG lives on
06-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Didn't Javie already officiated Game 1?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-16-2005, 01:07 AM
I think Javie was game 2. Bavetta will be in the Palace tomorrow night :(

milkyway21
06-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Pops threw the paper in the garbage without even looking the names........

:lmao

bring Jack Nies, Duncan doesn't care.

Sense
06-16-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't care who the refs are, aslong as they got finals experience.

travis2
06-16-2005, 08:42 AM
I think Javie was game 2. Bavetta will be in the Palace tomorrow night :(

Game 1: Callahan, Garretson, Javie

Game 2: Dan Crawford, Fryer, Nies

Game 3: Joe Crawford, Salvatore, Delaney

I predicted Salvatore in Game 3. I also think Bavetta will be in Game 4.

Jimcs50
06-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Bavetta will be there tonight, no doubt.

He hates Sheed, so that is ok with me.

Rick Von Braun
06-16-2005, 10:16 AM
If the game is close, this smells trouble.

IMHO, Bennett Salvatore and Dick Bavetta are some of the most subjective and inconsistent top refs out there.

Even though they have 53 NBA seasons of experience between the two, I still don't know what to expect from them.

I just hope the game is not closed.

FromWayDowntown
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
There are 12 officials working the Finals. 9 have participated so far. All 12 will call one game before any of the 12 calls a second game. Tonight, we get numbers 10, 11, and 12. Given some past history, I think the remaining 3 officials -- the men who will be tonight's crew -- are: Dick Bavetta, Eddie F. Rush, and Joe Derosa

I'll go on this limb, too: Game 5's crew will be Steve Javie, Ron Garretson, and either Danny Crawford or Bernie Fryer. (Game 5's are almost always a combination of the most qualified of the Game 1 and 2 officials -- Javie and Garretson will each get more than one game in this series, and Mike Callahan hasn't done enough games, I think, to get another game. Thus, I'd be shocked if you don't see Javie and Garretson in Game 5. The only other question is whether the league will put Fryer or Danny Crawford with Javie and Garretson)

Should there be a Game 6, I suspect that crew will be: either Danny Crawford or Bernie Fryer, Bob Delaney, Bennett Salvatore (Game 6's are almost always some combination of Game 2 and Game 3 officials, but not the Game 7 officials, who are purported to be the best of the best. Since Joey Crawford did Game 7 of Detroit/Miami, I'm thinking he gets the nod, among the Game 3 officials, for a Finals Game 7, so that leave Delaney and Salvatore to do Game 6. I don't think Nies gets another game, so that leaves either Danny Crawford or Fryer).

And if there's a Game 7, I suspect that crew will be: Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta, and Eddie F. Rush (Game 7's are almost always a combination of Game 3 and Game 4 officials. Like I said, I think Joey gets the nod among the Game 3 officials, and with the Game 4 gang, there's no way that Derosa will get Game 7, so you're left with Bavetta and Rush. I'm almost 100% certain that J. Crawford, Bavetta, and Rush did Game 7 in Miami, too.).

polandprzem
06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
:lmao

bring Jack Nies, Duncan doesn't care.
hehe good one