PDA

View Full Version : Manu on discrimination in the NBA

ElNono
11-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Ginóbili confessed he was discriminated in the NBA because he was "white and south american".

Emanuel Ginóbili, the best argentinean basketball player in the country's history, revealed being discriminated in the US because of the color of his skin and his south american roots. He said it on an interview with the La Garganta Poderosa, a magazine that mostly targeted to the country's poor people and that's edited in Buenos Aires.

"I was underestimated because I was white, because I was from South America, and because nobody knew me", confessed Emanuel Ginóbili, in a long interview with La Garganta Poderosa, a magazine that mostly targeted to the country's poor people, that's edited in Buenos Aires and that had interviewed other personalities like Diego Maradona, Indio Solari and Juan Ramón Riquelme.

"I noticed, for example, when I was guarding another player; He was looking at me, thinking: 'who is this guy, where did he come from?' and then he would ask his teammates to pass him the ball: 'Give me the ball, this guy is guarding me', continued Ginobili about his beginnings in the most powerful basketball league in the world.

In the interview, the basketball player from Bahia discussed education, the growth of Latin America, 'Che' Guevara, the Mothers and Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo and the troubles in the US, among other things.

The NT player that won the gold medal in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, the bronze medal in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and that will play in the 2012 London Olympics, added: "Discrimination exists all over the world" and that he experienced it "everywhere, with different excuses".

Nevertheless, the San Antonio Spurs player in the NBA explained that in his case, the prejudices only happened inside the basketball court.

"I didn't get discriminated because I'm a popular person, and because basketball in San Antonio is very important. That's terrible because there's a lot of anonymous people that do experience it", he remarked.

Ginobili also talked about the growth of Latin America: "With the resurgence of Brazil, also Argentina is a little better, and Mexico, the tendency is changing. The union from the different governments is giving the region more power, more votes. And that causes the region to be seen differently, with more value".

"Manu" also talked about the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo: "Their search is completely legitimate, and since I've become a father, I can't image what would it be to lose my sons or don't know where they are, or what was of them".

"Also, what they're doing for society is very important, both Madres and Grandmothers have done a lot of good things. You just can't believe the balls they had when they started their struggle, and above all, having the courage that they had to start protesting at certain moments where not everybody would have", he added.

The guard that started his career in Bahiense del Norte also had time to talk about one of the emblems of Argentina's history: "What 'Che' Guevara did, take off in a motorbike across Latin America, change the way he did, and start a revolution, only for the good of the people, sounds like a novel, something spectacular".

"Nowadays, he would try to do the same, but in a different way, with variations that were not available back then", Manu said.

Lastly, the leader of the 'Golden Generation' of basketball, explained that in the US "not everything is lights and luxury", that "there's quite a few poor neighborhoods and cities that after the last crisis have become poorer" and that there's people that "don't know how to read or write". He also marked a big difference when it comes to education.

"Education has to be a top priority. In this country you have every possibility for kids to study, because education is public, but really, really public. In the US you have public schools, but when you get to the end of the year, you paid for this, that… It's expensive to study and not everybody can have that luxury", he finalized.

[link to the original article in Spanish (http://www.lacapital.com.ar/ovacion/Ginobili-confeso-que-fue-discriminado-en-la-NBA-por-ser-blanquito-y-sudamericano-20111118-0068.html)]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I'm just the messenger. I tried to do my best translating, and anybody else feel free to correct. Yes, the title of the article is somewhat sensationalist, but I didn't write it.

spurs10
11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks!

Libri
11-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I think it's mostly about him being new. This always happens to rookies or players who are not well known in the NBA.

lefty
11-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Haha

That'S why I like Manu so much

He is so deceptive

I remember the Lakers series in 2003 (when he was a rookie), Manu went Commando on their asses :lmao

I bet they didnt see that coming

Bruno
11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Most of the white guys are unathletic which generally makes them poor defender in the NBA.

Libri
11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
They still do that to Bonner. Give me the ball. Bonner is guarding me. lol

lefty
11-18-2011, 03:23 PM
:lol

Giuseppe
11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
No longer able to cut the mustard, nor lick the jar on the court...Manu gettin' his philanthropist on. He has hasn't been this affective since afore The Skunker & 8.

He looks pisser.

Dex
11-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Yeah, but that's not because Bonner is white. It's because Bonner is absolutely terrible.

It's amazing how Pop either doesn't realize, or doesn't care, that when Bonner is on the floor, the opposing team's offense just starts flowing through him. He is the anti-Bowen.

Bruno
11-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Time to bring back to old Sheed quote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-lakersspurs031309

But when the Detroit Pistons walked onto the floor after a timeout last month against the Spurs, Rasheed Wallace offered this reminder for his teammates: “Just give the ball to whoever Bonner is on.”

Libri
11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
^ :lol :depressed

Dex
11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
This kid went to the Matt Bonner school of defense:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2006/09/29/boyinyellow372.jpg

Dex
11-18-2011, 04:09 PM
I also love how 75% of threads, somehow or another, turn into either Bonner-Bashing or Jefferson-Bashing.

Not to say that it isn't deserved.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-18-2011, 04:54 PM
I hate how the white man can't catch a break anymore.

spurs1990
11-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Can someone point out what exactly he was referring to in terms of discrimination?

Maybe I'm not sure what the word means, but generally it relates to being deprived of something tangible (for whatever reason).

What, does Ginobili feel he was unfairly treated because players didn't respect his defensive abilities? I thought that was called disrespect, not discrimination.

Hooks
11-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Can someone point out what exactly he was referring to in terms of discrimination?

Maybe I'm not sure what the word means, but generally it relates to being deprived of something tangible (for whatever reason).

What, does Ginobili feel he was unfairly treated because players didn't respect his defensive abilities? I thought that was called disrespect, not discrimination.

Manu took it as discrimination, but it was disrespect. Guys in the nba always do that esp. to rookies, I remember it happened to anderson when reke was scoring on him at will, reke demanded the ball every single time and was tearing anderson up.

The Truth #6
11-18-2011, 08:30 PM
There are several layers of disconnect here. The title of article, as with most articles, is rarely written by the actual author of the article but by an editor who tries to come up with something sensational. And, I'm sure there is some lost in translation aspect to this. More importantly, I didn't get the sense that Manu felt discriminated in America. He said he was 'underestimated.' Not much of an issue there. He's an unknown player - of course he's going to be tested. Isn't that the same for all unknown players?

That Manu would talk about Che Guevara - that seemed to be the more interesting part of the article, or whatever that was.