PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy engagement ring?

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Looking to spend 8-10k....hoping for like a 1.5 karat - solitaire round cut. Guessing can't get platinum for that price so 18k Gold band I guess.

Went to a local jewelery but expensive as fuck...plus payment plan sucks with interest. Probably need to try Zales, Kay and all those shitty stores in the malls?

:elephant

4>0rings
11-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Will you dress up in a pink elephant costume when you ask her? When you ask her, say it like this, "will you fucking mary me already, you dumbass!"

Then start dancing in your elephant costume.

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Will you dress up in a pink elephant costume when you ask her? When you ask her, say it like this, "will you fucking mary me already, you dumbass!"

son this was a serious question.. my foolishness on this site is just that foolishness

Spursfan092120
11-20-2011, 02:01 AM
Memo to my Girlfriend...FUCKING MARRY ME ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

Spursfan092120
11-20-2011, 02:10 AM
On the real, Zales is a good place. Got my fiancee's ring there...1 Karat heart shaped solitaire white gold.

DMC
11-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Dude, you could get a couple 4 wheelers or a good deer lease for 3 years for that much.

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Isn't there a rule that you spend like 2-3 months salary?? My ass ain't spending that much...hoping for 7-8k range actually

Vinnie_Johnson
11-20-2011, 03:17 AM

Smartest guy in the room love the Ron Paul.:toast

Fpoonsie
11-20-2011, 09:00 AM
You and your boy need to focus more on moving to a state that'll actually recognize your union instead a' worrying about keeping the courtship "traditional."

Nathan Explosion
11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Haven't you seen the commercials? Don't you want your future fiance's (hopefully) friends to say "He went to Jared."

If you're here in San Antonio, I'd imagine that Americus Diamond would be a good place to go.

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2011, 10:47 AM
cock ring, get one its cheaper....

Spursfan092120
11-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Isn't there a rule that you spend like 2-3 months salary?? My ass ain't spending that much...hoping for 7-8k range actually

You can stop with the "I make a shitload of money" schtick...we all know you don't..and even if you did, it's not impressive.

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Are you jealous that he makes more than you, sister fucker?

ChuckD
11-20-2011, 11:35 AM

You have no idea how this works, do you? She and all of her GFs area going to analyze the shit out of the metal of the ring, the cut, and the setting, web search, figure out where you got it, and price it.

She will find out how much you spent. Book it.

Libri
11-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Did you go to Jared? lol

leemajors
11-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Good thing you got yourself someone who doesn't care about material things!

Das Texan
11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
americus diamond.

they gave me such incredibly shitty service, like they could care less i wanted to give them 10k.

so fuck them and whatever horse they rode in on. Didnt even offer me champagne like one couple had while they were there.

Do you get that service when you say you want to spend 15k or what?

DMC
11-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Fuck that. Go to a pawn shop, buy a ring. If she don't like what you get, she's not the one you want raising your kids anyhow, because she better be able to make do as you are building your wealth.

shyne
11-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Dennis jewelry

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Fuck that. Go to a pawn shop, buy a ring. If she don't like what you get, she's not the one you want raising your kids anyhow, because she better be able to make do as you are building your wealth.

crofl there ain't a bitch like this alive in today's materialistic world. at best you're hoping for someone who isn't as materialistic/stuck up/lying as the rest imho.

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 12:47 PM
younger generation = fucked

not trying to sound like rogue, but i don't ever see myself getting married especially not after wasting a couple years on the last bitch. i'm soon to be a rich ass financial nlgga, i don't need bitches stealin mah assets! no kids no bitches, thats the mothafuckin MOTTO, OP would be wise to abide.

DMC
11-20-2011, 01:23 PM
younger generation = fucked

not trying to sound like rogue, but i don't ever see myself getting married especially not after wasting a couple years on the last bitch. i'm soon to be a rich ass financial nlgga, i don't need bitches stealin mah assets! no kids no bitches, thats the mothafuckin MOTTO, OP would be wise to abide.
You have to hook up with a professional woman who has her own wealth. That's how you would make a business partner, so that's how you should make a life partner. The days of dragging a housewife along are long gone. Women play the field even when married, just like guys do, and those who don't have wealth or a means to get it are looking for the next sugar daddy even if they don't admit it. So when you meet a woman that doesn't need you, who has her own ideas of what the future should be, who isn't lost without you and doesn't mention joint accounts, that's the one you want.

With that, you can go on vacations around the world and sure she's a corporate whore, but so are you and you two stay together for the same reasons a hawk stays with it's handler, because it's beneficial to you both.

CosmicCowboy
11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=53&subAreaID=&query=diamond+ring&catAbb=sss

Why pay retail?...It's not your fault they got a divorce and are now desperate for cash...You can always buy a good stone on a ring you don't want cheap and get it re-mounted...just agree to meet somewhere that you can pay for an appraisal to make sure you aren't getting ripped off by a CZ.

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 01:56 PM
You have to hook up with a professional woman who has her own wealth. That's how you would make a business partner, so that's how you should make a life partner. The days of dragging a housewife along are long gone. Women play the field even when married, just like guys do, and those who don't have wealth or a means to get it are looking for the next sugar daddy even if they don't admit it. So when you meet a woman that doesn't need you, who has her own ideas of what the future should be, who isn't lost without you and doesn't mention joint accounts, that's the one you want.

With that, you can go on vacations around the world and sure she's a corporate whore, but so are you and you two stay together for the same reasons a hawk stays with it's handler, because it's beneficial to you both.

nope, won't be married to a cheater. i'll kill that bitch

Kori Ellis
11-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Wow, what a sad train of thought.

Axe Murderer
11-20-2011, 03:48 PM
'i Elli, with the solid leverage, beatin em at the point of attack goods par per etc

DMC
11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
nope, won't be married to a cheater. i'll kill that bitch
Naw dude, by "corporate whore" I don't mean she's fucking her way up the ladder. I mean she's willing to make sacrifices for her career whereas many relationships end up with one person having a career while the other just puts theirs on hold.

Also, by "playing the field" I don't mean she's bouncing around hotel rooms during field trips. I mean she's always got an eye open for better opportunities.

That just seems to be the norm these days for successful ventures (relationships these days are more like business ventures, most fail in the first year).

DMC
11-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Put in context with the post I was responding to, it was fitting.

He doesn't want to share his assets with a woman, doesn't think women can be non-materialistic. He has to either remain single and not even seriously committed, change that outlook entirely, or just go for the ones I mentioned.

Spursfan092120
11-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Are you jealous that he makes more than you, sister fucker?

lol bad trolls
lol angry bad trolls
lol acting like you know how much I make.

Spursfan092120
11-20-2011, 04:49 PM

this

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Sons if I'd have to use the 3 month rule...the ring would be about 40k...using my after tax income and depending on how many patients I see those months. I wouldn't buy a 40k ring even if I was Bill Gates

Still dont have any decent advice from you people...which is to be expected

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 07:47 PM
are you really spurstalk's 2nd resident doctor?

The Reckoning
11-20-2011, 07:48 PM
dont get married its the end of your life and peace of mind

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
dont get married its the end of your life and peace of mind

Been 3 years....shes a good sweet gal...doing it more for her than me. Hope she doesn't lose the focus on my penis once she gets the bling

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 08:01 PM
son if you were really a doctor I dont think you'd be risking it all on such a poor investment as "marriage" it's all a lie

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 08:09 PM
son if you were really a doctor I dont think you'd be risking it all on such a poor investment as "marriage" it's all a lie

Thought about making her sign a pre-nupt but thats not a good thing to start your life together. Plus I just got out of residency....no money really. Told her if she tries to leave me and take half I might just lose my mind lol

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
yeah a bitch who gets all fussy about the prenup definitely feels entitled to something of yours and just might have plans in store for you. a badass laid back chick wouldn't give a fuck and she'd have her own money tbh.

spursncowboys
11-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Why buy an engagement ring?

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Why buy an engagement ring?

Steal one?

CosmicCowboy
11-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Sons if I'd have to use the 3 month rule...the ring would be about 40k...using my after tax income and depending on how many patients I see those months. I wouldn't buy a 40k ring even if I was Bill Gates

Still dont have any decent advice from you people...which is to be expected

Fucking richer...:lol

Seriously dude...I gave you solid advice...a diamond really IS for freaking ever but you don't have to go to Zales to get it...keep watching craigslist and snag the stone you want at half+ off, just negotiate your ass off and make sure you do the deal at a place you can get it appraised and make sure you aren't getting ripped off...There really are a lot of nice stones floating around out there with people that never could afford them and shouldn't have bought them and then got divorced...let their loss be your gain...it's the diamond stupid...you can always buy a new "custom" mounting that is all new and hers...

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Which of the major places is the best? Helzberg, Kay, Jared, Zales etc....don;t want to throw all 8-10k out at once...like no-interest for 12-18 months

CosmicCowboy
11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Which of the major places is the best? Helzberg, Kay, Jared, Zales etc....don;t want to throw all 8-10k out at once...like no-interest for 12-18 months

fucking poser...

You want to pay twice as much so they will finance?

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-20-2011, 10:00 PM
You can stop with the "I make a shitload of money" schtick
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao seriously?

The person who beats his chest to the fact he makes "75k a year while only working 3 days a week!" is saying this? Holy fuck n!gger that's some irony right there.

CosmicCowboy
11-20-2011, 10:02 PM
You just aren't getting it dude....ask her hypothetically what CUT diamond she likes...trust me she will have an opinion...then buy a good STONE cheap...there are tons of custom artisan jewelers that you can THEN go design (together) the PERFECT mounting. You REALLY want to drop 10K for some shit that is sitting in the retail jewelers case?

spursncowboys
11-20-2011, 10:04 PM

If you want quality then Americus was the best for me. But once again why sentence yourself to that? The better the quality, the more retail value and investment for when you want to resell it after the divorce.

spursncowboys
11-20-2011, 10:06 PM
You just aren't getting it dude....ask her hypothetically what CUT diamond she likes...trust me she will have an opinion...then buy a good STONE cheap...there are tons of custom artisan jewelers that you can THEN go design (together) the PERFECT mounting. You REALLY want to drop 10K for some shit that is sitting in the retail jewelers case?

princess is the popular one right now but doesn't glitter as the classic cut. If you want to go through with it, then definitely take her to look at them non discreetly. it would be asinine to think her dream ring you can pick out with out her.

Amarelooms
11-20-2011, 10:08 PM

Round cut on a solitaire - maybe with small diamonds on the side. Where the fuck am I suppose to buy the diamond....don't want to get screwed on some bullshit

Cant_Be_Faded
11-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Thaaaaaat's Jarrod!

It can only be Jarrod!!!!!!

CosmicCowboy
11-20-2011, 10:22 PM
With the budget you stated I would start by looking at this one...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/jwl/2712929229.html

If it's really an I1-I thats a macdaddy stone at a decent price.

that would make a cum gobbling blowjob ring that would work at least until the wedding was over.

mavs>spurs
11-20-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/ice039.jpg

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/fez-that-70-27s-show-40855_262_400.jpg

Summers
11-20-2011, 11:09 PM

There are 2 solid pieces of advice here. First, if you're going to spend a shitload of money on something she's going to wear for the rest of her life, you really should find out what kind of ring she wants. Trust me, she's thought about it. The engagement ring doesn't need to be a surprise. It's a sweet idea, but it's more practical to let her pick out the one she wants. Maybe she wants a giant rock on her hand. Maybe she wants something very subtle. Second, CC is right... it's a diamond. Buying a used one doesn't diminish its beauty. I would also recommend pawn shops, which I know sounds super cheesy, but they have to sell gemstones pretty cheaply in pawn shops because of the stigma attached to buying jewelry in pawn shops. Go buy a big diamond cheaply, then have it reset like CC said.

Spursfan092120
11-20-2011, 11:13 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao seriously?

The person who beats his chest to the fact he makes "75k a year while only working 3 days a week!" is saying this? Holy fuck n!gger that's some irony right there.

Tryin to get banned? Never beat my chest about it..someone challenged me acting like I had no money, so I told them what I was making. Never lied a bit about it. At that time, sales were up, and I was making that kind of money. Economy killed it, and I got out before it killed me. I don't make that now, but I have a steady paycheck, so it works. Selling land and resort memberships is lucrative as hell when the economy isn't in a recession.

spursncowboys
11-20-2011, 11:30 PM
most diamonds have serial numbers with the appraisal value on it, so pawn shop isn't that bad of an idea. But most pawn shops will sell a ring that expensive off. google the ratings of diamonds and find out what she wants. size or quality. Most girls will tell you what they want.

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2011, 11:31 PM
use 3 months salary for engagement ring

then how much are you going to spend on wedding ring?

Amarelooms
11-21-2011, 12:36 AM
use 3 months salary for engagement ring

then how much are you going to spend on wedding ring?

Isn't the engagement ring the expensive one...the wedding ring/band is cheap I thought

mrsmaalox
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
they gave me such incredibly shitty service, like they could care less i wanted to give them 10k.

so fuck them and whatever horse they rode in on.

Absolutely. EXACTLY the experience I had with them. One time and I learned my lesson, they will NEVER recieve a single penny from me ever again!

They had the nerve to tell me that their specialty is diamonds, not gold, silver or platinum---so the warranty and "satisfaction guaranteed" does not extend to those, only the diamond. Have a problem with the setting or lenth of a chain? Well sorry, no adjustments or exchanges, but we'll be happy to sell you exactly what you want this time.

mrsmaalox
11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I also would never buy a diamond from one of the mall jewelers.

I think Cosmic Cowboy's suggestion of Craigslist is great, but I don't know how much preparation you are willing to do----that is the kind of thing that you'll need to go into well armed with lots of knowledge and time, but would be well worth it.

The artisan jewelers are always the best way to go. The one I use and love in SA is The Jewelers Workbench. The quality of their work is amazing; their selection of stones is small but of the best quality (they can get anything you want). They will educate and advise you, and I promise you'll get the stellar service no matter how much or little you spend.

http://www.thejewelersworkbench.com/Home.aspx

Spurstro
11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
I was able to get 12-months no interest at Jareds.

Don't choose from the diamonds they have on site though. Ask them to take you to the room where they have the computer and you can browse all the different types of diamonds. There, you can make all types of adjustments to the 4 c's and get one that works best for you. You'll be able to pick a diamond that costs less and looks much better than the ones they have on display.

They have to ship the diamond to the store, which takes a few days but it's well worth it.

2Blonde
11-21-2011, 05:18 PM
A few people have given you some good advice. Pawn shops don't only sell used rings. Many sell diamonds loose and will make or design you a setting of your choice. This is a much smarter option. When I got married to my first husband, I went to a pawn dealer & got a 1 carat solitaire & designed the 18K double sided wedding band w/ 6 x 15 point diamonds for about $1,500. It appraised immediately for 5K & when we divorced 9 years later it appraised for much more.
Be smart... down the road you will both be happier if you didn't spend yourself into huge debt over a ring. The marriage is where you should focus your money, effort & love.

DMC
11-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Isn't the engagement ring the expensive one...the wedding ring/band is cheap I thought

It's the divorce that's expensive. The two rings are nothing compared to that.

Das Texan
11-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Dont' fuck up your marriage the first time and you dont have to pay for a divorce.

TDMVPDPOY
11-22-2011, 02:08 AM
A few people have given you some good advice. Pawn shops don't only sell used rings. Many sell diamonds loose and will make or design you a setting of your choice. This is a much smarter option. When I got married to my first husband, I went to a pawn dealer & got a 1 carat solitaire & designed the 18K double sided wedding band w/ 6 x 15 point diamonds for about $1,500. It appraised immediately for 5K & when we divorced 9 years later it appraised for much more.
Be smart... down the road you will both be happier if you didn't spend yourself into huge debt over a ring. The marriage is where you should focus your money, effort & love.

have to write off the labour costs when valuing a ring being resold...

Heath Ledger
11-22-2011, 07:18 AM
If you don't mind blood diamonds head over to http://www.bidz.com

Brazil
11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
go Tiffany

Phenomanul
11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Blue Nile Diamonds...

Online retailer... I have three personal references to happy customers who purchased engagement rings at that website...

ferg
11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Looking to spend 8-10k....hoping for like a 1.5 karat - solitaire round cut. Guessing can't get platinum for that price so 18k Gold band I guess.

Went to a local jewelery but expensive as fuck...plus payment plan sucks with interest. Probably need to try Zales, Kay and all those shitty stores in the malls?

i have a 1 carat celebratoin diamond, certified with all documentation that im lookin to get rid of. clarity SI-1 color I. 18kt whitle gold with platinum setting....

Amarelooms
11-22-2011, 09:46 PM
i have a 1 carat celebratoin diamond, certified with all documentation that im lookin to get rid of. clarity SI-1 color I. 18kt whitle gold with platinum setting....

What you looking to get and where you get it from? Also are you a chick or dude?

ferg
11-22-2011, 11:55 PM
lol im a guy. at least last time i went to the bathroom i was. anyway, its from zales im lookin for $4K. its currently at zales getting cleaned up and inspected. which is free from them and you will get all documentation on that as well.

2Blonde
11-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Just remember that appraised value does not translate into sale value. Appraisales are for insurance policies. So you spend 6K on ring and it appraises for 7K. When you go to resll it down the road, you will be lucky to get 30-50% of it's appraised value.
No matter what you do, good luck & congrats.

Amarelooms
11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
lol im a guy. at least last time i went to the bathroom i was. anyway, its from zales im lookin for $4K. its currently at zales getting cleaned up and inspected. which is free from them and you will get all documentation on that as well.

Pic? You can post on here on pm me and i'll give you my addy. How much would that be from Zales? What kind of band...she doesn't want something too fancy

Amarelooms
11-24-2011, 07:48 AM
anyone know about this bluenile website? I;m looking for something like this but don't want to spend 11k...more like 8...where can I find that...isn't the price sorta negotiable?

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?action=add&forceStep=STYLE_STEP&pid=LD02346450#DIAMONDS_STEP